***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,119,205 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think they're bad at all. I am mainly talking about their offense. They're playing above their head. .355 BABIP for Aug. I think their pitching is really good. But they're also having their best month of the season too. They're 27-8 since mid-July. That is a 125-win pace for a full season. If they keep this up then they're going to send up with 99-100 wins after starting 50-50 in the first 100 games. Just wild and seems way too unlikely in my book.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

JDUB08AG said:

Seattle is going to come back to life soon. There is no way their current pace is sustainable. If it is, tip of the hat.

They face Cincy, Tampa, Dodgers, Texas and Houston in September so hopefully that's a .500 stretch or worse for them those 20 games
To add on, I believe it was either Marvin or Mathguy who ran the numbers, the Astros have the weakest remaining schedule out of the Rangers and Seattle.

I would love nothing more than to go into the Seattle series leading the division.

Feels like a wild end to the season. Astros are going to need the Rangers and Mariners to beat each other up a little bit while they do some winning.
Remaining Schedule by SOS
15. ARL - .502
16. SEA - .500
28. HOU - .466
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

LarryElder said:

Rangers in free fall all they are doing is talk on about the mean Astros , what a bizarre fan base
To be fair, I cringe at how many Astros fans on Twitter are making fun of the Rangers while we're in a battle to make the playoffs ourselves.
came here to post this. Astros fans need to STFU about the Rangers and worry about ourselves getting in the playoffs.
BadAggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

No way the can maintain this offensive run. I would expect their pitching to step back a little too. I would guess this is a case of peaking too early.
The series sweep against us only provided more fuel to their fire. Royals-Stros-Royals-A's is their current run that the production is coming against. Starting labor day its 3 against the Reds and 4 against the Rays, a little break with three at the Angels, then its 3 against the Dodgers. Things are about to toughen up a bit.

Exactly.

I think they caught Stros at the right time a week ago. Also how much of their production came from light hitters at the bottom of their order in that series?
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I think yall are underestimating the Mariners a bit.

Yes they've been on a torrid run here lately but since going 12-16 in the first month of the season they're 62-40. That's pretty damn good.

So yes they can't sustain they're current run but they've been good for a long stretch of the season.
My breakdown is as follows:

• Their starting pitching is absolutely elite.
  • Their bullpen is pretty comparable, but trading Sewald now seems silly. Obviously they will lean on starting pitching in the postseason. They'll have to go deep into games or I think their bullpen will cough up some games.
  • Their offense is outside top 10 in most categories. They are 2nd in strikeouts. It is still certainly good enough.
  • They are currently 32-33 against .500 competition (Astros are 32-38).
  • They are equally good at home and on the road with equal records of 37-28 (Astros 35-31 at home and 39-27 on the road)

They are a very good team.

I think the point in saying they will come back down to earth a little it is that with the separation between the Astros and them, having them come back down to their season levels should work in the Astros favor, especially if it happens against teams with records greater than .500.
BadAggie
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

No way the can maintain this offensive run. I would expect their pitching to step back a little too. I would guess this is a case of peaking too early.

"J-Rod is batting an AL-best .406 with an MLB-best 25 RBIs over 21 games in August."
- https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-power-rankings-week-21

It wasn't him it was Joe Schmoe hitting .205 for the season going 9 for 12 in that series that was the issue
Farmer1906
AG
Here is how we rank since ASB - AL Only

WAR - 2nd
wRC+ - 2nd
OPS - 5th
R - 1st
HR - 3rd
K% - 3rd
BB% - 2nd
BABIP - 6th

WAR - 7th
ERA - 6th
SIERA - 7th
R - 8th
HR - 9th
K% - 6th
BB% - 11th
BABIP - 10th

The offense has been damn good. We trailing SEA in most categories. The pitching hasn't been great. Outside of JV most of the bright spots have been the bullpen. We really need to get two of Valdez, Javier, & Brown pitching at a high level.
Ag_07
AG
Their BP is legit.

They have the 2nd best BP ERA in the league at 3.48. Since the trade deadline it's at 2.48 also good for 2nd best in that timeframe.
JDUB08AG
AG
CJ has given me nothing to believe he is able to turn things around. Even in starts where he gives up 3 runs or less, its constant walking on eggshells. He isn't pitching well at all and its been that way for over 2 months.
The Porkchop Express
It's not beyond much of a stretch to compare the '23 Mariners regular season to the '17 Astros regular season.

Consider:
2015, we went 86-76, beat the Yankees in the wild card, thought we had the Royals beat, but they got off the deck down late and wound up beating us and winning the World Series.
2016, we went 84-78 and barely missed the playoffs.

2021, Mariners go 90-72 and barely miss the playoffs.
2022, Mariners go 90-72 and beat the Blue Jays in the wild card, thought they had us beat in Game 1 of the ALDS, but we get off the deck down late, wind up beating them and go on to win the World Series.

In 2017, we start off white-hot, 60-29 in the first half, scuffle down the stretch (41-32), but win the division.

In 2023, they scuffled for the first half (45-44), then got white-hot (29-12 to date) and have taken over the division lead.

Prosperdick
AG
JDUB08AG said:

CJ has given me nothing to believe he is able to turn things around. Even in starts where he gives up 3 runs or less, its constant walking on eggshells. He isn't pitching well at all and its been that way for over 2 months.
Crazy he's 9-2, which shows how worthless won/loss records are...well, to everyone except Dusty.
tjack16
AG
30 games left, I think 18-12 would be really good, .600 win percentageโ€ฆ but if we add in a sweep over the A's and Royals then we should be able to get 20-10

93 wins is the mark in the division to win it I think. So 18-12 puts us at 92-70

Mariners and Rangers both have 32 games left.
CFTXAG10
AG
JDUB08AG said:

If I read this and nothing else I'd think it was about JV
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

We said the same thing about the Nats in 2019 and the Phillies last year. Seems like every year there is a team that gets hot late season and just stays that way
AggiEE
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

We said the same thing about the Nats in 2019 and the Phillies last year. Seems like every year there is a team that gets hot late season and just stays that way

I wish the Astros would get hot like that sometime
Proudag06
AG
AggiEE said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

Like in the post season last year
Wabs
AG
BeaumontAg05
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not the same though. Those teams got hot late, they didn't sustain it for 4 months. The Nats also had proven high ends guys on the forefront, not average players all collectively having career months at the same time.

The run the mariners are on started the last 2 weeks of the season with the Nats, not 2 or 3 months before the end. Now can the mariners have a lull and then get hot again the last week absolutely. I just dont see their roster to be good enough to do that though.
All I do is Nguyen
BeaumontAg05 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not the same though. Those teams got hot late, they didn't sustain it for 4 months. The Nats also had proven high ends guys on the forefront, not average players all collectively having career months at the same time.

The run the mariners are on started the last 2 weeks of the season with the Nats, not 2 or 3 months before the end. Now can the mariners have a lull and then get hot again the last week absolutely. I just dont see their roster to be good enough to do that though.
Disagree on the Nats. They were in last place in their division at he ASB, I believe, then come up with the stupid baby shark celebration and then went on a TEAR to make it all the way to the WS and win it all. I agree that had veterans on the team but even still, to maintain that kind of play is really difficult, and yet, they did it
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

Disagree on the Nats. They were in last place in their division at he ASB, I believe, then come up with the stupid baby shark celebration and then went on a TEAR to make it all the way to the WS and win it all. I agree that had veterans on the team but even still, to maintain that kind of play is really difficult, and yet, they did it
I think there is a difference between teams who get hot. Some teams are just really good and things come together. Some teams just go on heaters and they're not near as good as they're performing. You can usually spot those things when you see something really unusual with BABIP, RISP, 1 Run Games, Expected Stats, etc.

The 2019 Nats were kind of a mix of both. They had some dudes in Rendon, Soto, & Turner. But they also had some guys having career years or partial years in Kendrick & Cabrera. I think the 2019 baseball had something to do with it. However, offensively, that team never flashes like the Mariners are now or even how the Rangers were earlier this year. They got it done on the back of one of their starting pitching.
BeaumontAg05
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

They were 7 games over .500 at the break. On August 10, they were 6 games over. About mid September they started to figure it out and went on a tear that didn't end.
The Mariners are currently on that tear, except we have 5 weeks or season left. Again they could sustain that for another 3 months, but I just dont think they have the studs to do it. As the poster above said, there is a difference of getting hot with an above avg roster vs figuring it out with a roster of studs.

I think the mariners are hot, not figured it out.
Beau Holder
AG
Sox lineup is out early and, shocker, it looks more or less the same as it does every day.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Disagree on the Nats. They were in last place in their division at he ASB
they had 3rd best record in NL at the all-star break
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Sox lineup is out early and, shocker, it looks more or less the same as it does every day.

3 of their top 4 are LHH and another one down the lineup. C'mon opener. Just this once to see how it works.
Red Five
AG
Beau Holder said:

BadAggie
AG
Beau Holder said:

You would think that the batting order bingo that Dusty plays would frustrate/distract players.

Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Beau Holder said:

You would think that the batting order bingo that Dusty plays would frustrate/distract players.

I'm still in shock (well, not really) that the FO has final say on lineups in the playoffs. It was the one thing I could give credit for and, wouldn't you know, not Dusty.

I guarantee some of the players are frustrated...Chas had to be pissed early on getting benched and batting 7th while broken Abreu wasted at bat after at bat.

We all know about Diaz, no need to comment further and I have a suspicion when Pena was scuffling (apparently due to a personal issue) he wasn't happy bouncing between batting 2nd and late in the order, especially not 2nd when he was in a slump as I'm sure he felt bad ruining potential big innings.
The Porkchop Express
AggiEE said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

We did finish 50 games over .500 last year.
texasaggie2015
AG
gigemJTH12
AG
Diaz at catcher and Brantley at DH and thats a lineup
Beau Holder
AG
Love that we're back to the Abreu fifth thing.

Otherwise decent.
Mathguy64
AG
"Whats an 'opener'?"

-- Dusty
Farmer1906
AG
Yainer is having a good year, but he's still getting slept on on the national level and probably even a little at the local level.

MLB Ranks / Catcher Ranks
xBA - 16th / 1st
BA - 27th / 1st
xSLG - 9th / 2nd
SLG - 14th / 1st
xwOBA - 28th / 4th
wOBA - 59th / 4th

Counting Stats (Catcher Only, Min 300 PA)
Hits - 13th
Doubles - 13th
HR - 4th
Runs - 15th
RBI - 12th
Games - 20th (fewest)
Plate Appearances - 20th (fewest)

BadAggie
AG
Disappointed in Dusty, surely Julks would start his last game up
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Abreu hitting 5th? Wtf? Double play machine is once again operational
First Page Last Page
Page 1970 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.