***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,314 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

99% of fans who get mad at a player for taking the bigger contract would do the exact same thing
99.9%

Doesn't change they aren't judgemental people.

No different than when a co-worker leaves and struggles.
texasaggie2015
AG
W said:

there's a gracious way to leave an organization...and a not so gracious way

he chose the wrong path
I guess I don't hold it against him since that whole thing happened just moments after losing the World Series. Emotions are high.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Not to the Yankees or Dodgers. I'd of been like the Detroit pitcher this trade deadline. And it wouldn't bother me to leave a little to play for better fans and organizations
JDUB08AG
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I'm impressed and a bit shocked. It has been pretty quiet for him while putting up those numbers.
He's looked a lot better to me. He's brought the toe-tap back since the ASB. Glad to see the numbers support it.

Would like to see a couple more HRs, but it's good to see him looking better at the plate.
This is why I was pissed to see him get a rest day on Sunday. He's finally getting it together and sees the bench on the same day the Altuve is DH and Maldy is behind the plate.
Boiling Denim
texasaggie2015 said:

Serious question- why the hate towards Gerrit Cole? I've never really understood that. Not being critical, just asking. The way I see it, he pitched his ass off, was rightfully frustrated after the WS loss and then took the bigger contract. No hard feelings there.

Had his chance for a Bumgarner moment and Hinch flubbed it. I understand his anger. His childhood team came calling with a fleet of Brinks trucks. Anyone would do the same.
TexAg2001
AG
AgLA06 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Serious question- why the hate towards Gerrit Cole? I've never really understood that. Not being critical, just asking. The way I see it, he pitched his ass off, was rightfully frustrated after the WS loss and then took the bigger contract. No hard feelings there.
I feel the same. He was lights out from June onward that season and was a lot of fun to watch.
Eh, it's hard to feel sorry for a guy who supposedly took the money over a better team who isn't getting the support he claimed was the reason going. I'm sure it comes off as Karma from a lot of Astros fans who realized another stud pitcher could mean leading the division today.
For me it's how he handled the loss. Having to be begged to talk to the media after the game...saying stuff like "I'm not employed by the Astros anymore. Why should I talk to the media? I guess I'll talk, but I'll represent myself" and then coming out in his agent's hat. He just came across as a complete ******. I loved watching him pitch for Houston, but sometimes last impressions make all the difference.

Plus, it's pretty easy to root against anyone playing for the Yankees.
BadAggie
AG
Re Cole "I no longer work for the Astros" or whatever right after game 7 in the '19 WS
Mr President Elect
AG
AgLA06 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I feel the same. He was lights out from June onward that season and was a lot of fun to watch.
Eh, it's hard to feel sorry for a guy who supposedly took the money over a better team who isn't getting the support he claimed was the reason going. I'm sure it comes off as Karma from a lot of Astros fans who realized another stud pitcher could mean leading the division today.
Oh, I don't feel sorry for him at all. He is a very rich guy playing a game that we all love for a living. Just saying, I don't root against him at all.
McInnis 03
AG
Chef Elko
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He put on a freaking Scott Boras hat on after we lost the WS and acted like a ***** on his way out. He couldn't make it another hour or two? Nobody likes losing, but come on dude.
BadAggie
AG
Danwell Home said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He put on a freaking Scott Boras hat on after we lost the WS and acted like a ***** on his way out. He couldn't make it another hour or two? Nobody likes losing, but come on dude.

1,000,000%
Ag_07
AG
Because fck that guy...That's why
BadAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

Because fck that guy...That's why
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha fair enough, again I'm not knocking y'all. I'm just not a grudge holder by nature so I tend to let things go or forget about them.
AggieJ2002
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Wearing the Boras hat and distancing himself from the team 10 min after the WS loss didn't sit well with me. He was a part of that loss in the locker room after just like everyone else and acted like a ***** afterwards .... No animosity for him leaving, I just don't like him
Ag_07
AG
I hear you and I typically don't but he was completely out of hand and immature when he left then the sticky stuff complaining and his overall whiny attitude has rubbed the wrong way on Cole.
BadAggie
AG
https://theathletic.com/1046011/2019/06/25/who-is-this-kid-and-whats-he-doing-here-can-robel-garcia-continue-his-late-rise-with-the-cubs/
Chef Elko
AG
Nah, he probably can't.
BadAggie
AG
I mean look there's some Schadenfreude baseball wise with Cole's move to the Yankees after 2019 and subsequently not sniffing a WS after that, though yeas we know he's doing this every night

Project Gemini
AG
Boo ****ing hoo Gerrit. Sorry you can't get an insane contract AND win championships. No one feels bad for you, your team, or your ****ty fans.
BadAggie
AG
Hey Dusty, got a game in a couple hours, where's the lineup?
BadAggie
AG
Aw man he's experimenting again though at least Yordan and Tucker are in top 4
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Kyle Tucker: The Man and his Dream Contract

Quote:

The Astros currently rank third in the American League in runs scored not an uncommon sight for a franchise that has only been outscored by the Dodgers and Red Sox over the last decade. But they've done it with a lineup with some pretty big holes, with half of their eight players with at least 300 plate appearances this season posting an OBP under .300. The team's offense has been driven this year mainly by four players: Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez, Alex Bregman, and Chas McCormick, with an assist from Yainer Diaz. A year ago, Houston signed Alvarez to a six-year, $115 million contract extension that ensured he would remain in town until the end of the 2028 season. Tucker, though, does not have a long-term deal and is scheduled to hit free agency after the 2025 season. What would a possible deal look like?
Really just highlighting an unrelated point. The Astros have been extremely top heavy.

Quote:

Based on franchise history, being one of Houston's stars doesn't necessarily grant a ton of leverage when it comes to landing big contract extensions. Jose Altuve signed a seven-year, $163.5 million deal before the 2018 season, but that remains the largest contract in team history. The Astros didn't participate in any bidding wars for previous stars like George Springer, Carlos Correa, and Gerrit Cole
[url=https://www.fangraphs.com/players/gerrit-cole/13125/stats][/url]This would be uncharted territory. Altuve's deal is kind of a good comp. He was on a team friendly deal not too dissimilar from what a player would get in arbitration. He also signed with 2 years remaining. And he would have hit FA at 30 vs Tucker at 29. The new money was basically 5/151.5.

Quote:

Tucker has certainly earned a big payday. Since grabbing the a full-time spot in the lineup in 2020, he's hit .280/.351/.516 with a wRC+ of 137. That's good enough to rank fifth in baseball among outfielder in WAR, at 15.1, behind only Aaron Judge, Mookie Betts, Juan Soto, and Ronald Acuña Jr. This year, Tucker's on track to hit the five-WAR mark for the first time.
TED is very good. In case anyone was confused.

Quote:

In my chat last week, I mentioned ZiPS suggesting nine years and $220 million as a reasonable extension for Tucker, but that was also from the start of the season. If he were a free agent, this projection suggests a nine-year, $284 million extension (or $265 million over eight years). Tucker obviously is not a free agent, and his next two years the most likely best seasons remaining in his career will be under team control. ZiPS expects the difference between what he would get in free agency the next two years versus what he's likely to get in arbitration as about $40 million, taking it to a nine-year, $244 million deal. Hurting Tucker's chances of hitting the $300 million threshold is the simple fact that while he's not as old as Judge was when he hit free agency, he's also going to be 29 at the start of his new contract, not a mid-20s phenom like Soto or Manny Machado.

Would the Astros do that deal? I'm not sure, since we're talking an $80 million bump over their largest deal to date, and that's way more years than the team is typically comfortable with. A six-year deal comes out at $176 million, in the same ballpark as Altuve's deal (which runs out after 2024). It's more than Alvarez got, but in that case, the team was able to lock up a deal before the slugger got to arbitration and so had considerably more leverage.
This is the good info. If I am reading this correctly this would buy out 24 and 25 then add on another 7 years. If we assume 12.5 and 17.5 M for 24 and 25 (taking a stab at arbitration #s) then it would basically be a 7/214 deal when he hits FA. That sounds perfectly reasonable.

Quote:

Would the Astros do that deal? I'm not sure, since we're talking an $80 million bump over their largest deal to date, and that's way more years than the team is typically comfortable with. A six-year deal comes out at $176 million, in the same ballpark as Altuve's deal (which runs out after 2024). It's more than Alvarez got, but in that case, the team was able to lock up a deal before the slugger got to arbitration and so had considerably more leverage.

But in this case, I'm not positive that the Astros wouldn't come to such a deal, either, especially if we're talking six or seven years. They've let players walk before, but Tucker's free agency would come a year after Altuve and Bregman reach the end of their deals; even if they stay with the organization, their next contracts will probably cover their declines (almost certainly for the former). That's an awful lot of offensive production to replace quickly. When Springer was in his arbitration years, the Astros knew Alvarez and Tucker were coming; I don't see anyone in the organization right now that fits that role. I think there's a real chance that when Brown expressed an interest in keeping Tucker on the team for the long term, it was more than the usual fan-friendly soundbites that every public-facing front office member knows how to do by heart.
More good points. 100% agree with not out of the question for the Astros to be more willing to do this deal because the next crop is less of a sure thing. It makes more sense to sign a 29-year-old than it does a 31 or 35-year-old.
BadAggie
AG
Dusty gets alternating RL through top 7 in lineup.

Don't hate the lineup other than when you DH Yordan by default Diaz loses potential ABs
BadAggie
AG
FREE YAINER
texasaggie2015
AG
Anyone have an educated guess as to who will start Saturday? Urquidy? I have tickets so I'm curious
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Anyone have an educated guess as to who will start Saturday? Urquidy? I have tickets so I'm curious

Brown to pen so probably Urquidy though could be France
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll be honest, I'm just too lazy to do the work in my head and I'm hoping someone will do it for me
Mr President Elect
AG
BadAggie said:

Hey Dusty, got a game in a couple hours, where's the lineup?
just fyi, lineup complaints on this thread are usually ~4 hrs prior to gametime.
Prosperdick
AG
Danwell Home said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Kinda reminded me of Vodka Tom when he was OC for Ohio State and got the head coaching gig for UH he couldn't wait to put on his UH cap, even with the confetti raining down. And we all know how Tom ended up.
tjack16
AG
9 years 244 M?

The Astros better offer that deal
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It would have been no hard feelings but he pulled the whole "I dont have to answer questions, I'm technically a free agent" crap right after game 7 of the WS. Just insult to injury after the most heartbreaking loss in franchise history
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

Dusty gets alternating RL through top 7 in lineup.

Don't hate the lineup other than when you DH Yordan by default Diaz loses potential ABs
Dusty and his misplaced belief that Diaz can't hit lefties.

But also Meyers does crush lefties.

A few game thoughts:
Braxton Garrett kind of looks like a poor man's Framber. A lefty that throws sinkers and gets a bunch of grounds. His K pitch is a slider, not a curve though.

Nick Fortes sucks at throwing out runners. Let's take advantage.

Gurriel is getting the start against us. He's pretty much the same dude he was last year at the plate, but drawing a few more walks.

We might get a quick game tonight. Miami is 7th in AB yet 20th in PA. That means expect a lot of swinging and balls put in play (especially on the ground - MIA leads in GB%). The INF needs to stay sharp and Framber needs to try to not do too much
BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Dave Parker and Willie Stargell hit back-to-back for the mid-to-late 70's Pittsburgh Pirates

Interestingly, against lefty starters they were split up by bill Robinson

Dusty following the 79 pirates
First Page Last Page
Page 1695 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.