***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,550,515 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watch - our series win and potential sweep will get the Rangers hot on the trade market. I think they'll probably try to get a top-level SP and definitely some bullpen help. Snell and Hader??
Prosperdick
AG
I think it's obvious, especially after Maldy FINALLY did something that Diaz is going to get the shaft. Yordan gets DH (and pouts about it, which he has every right to do btw), Julks gets LF and Diaz grabs the pine.

That all being said with Yordan and Altuve in the lineup having Maldy in the lineup doesn't hurt as much and who knows, maybe he's about to go on a streak.
Ag_07
AG
bobinator said:

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in how many people read the Rangers thread

Still don't understand what the issue is with this

I read all the threads on this board. I read the Braves thread, the Joey Gallo thread, there's an Oriole thread that pops up every once in awhile I'll take a peek at.

I'm a baseball fan and I like to read what's going on across the league and what other fan bases are discussing.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

bobinator said:

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in how many people read the Rangers thread

Still don't understand what the issue is with this

I read all the threads on this board. I read the Braves thread, the Joey Gallo thread, there's an Oriole thread that pops up every once in awhile I'll take a peek at.

I'm a baseball fan and I like to read what's going on across the league and what other fan bases are discussing.
I don't either...I also enjoy the tears thread on premium, does that make me a bad person?
tjack16
AG
HarryRocket said:

tjack16 said:

Put him on the 40 man and CALL HIM UP

I'd be fine with DFA'ing about 3 guys on the 40 man to make room for him.

Agreed. Nothing to lose considering our current bench.

I'd DFA Gage, Bannon, or Peredes in order to get a hot lefty power bat right now
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bobinator
AG
It's not really the reading it, it's the reporting back here with what they're saying when it's obviously going to be trolling like 50% of the time. Like the obvious "biggest win in Houston sports history" thing yesterday.

Maybe that's just me though.
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

tjack16 said:

Put him on the 40 man and CALL HIM UP

I'd be fine with DFA'ing about 3 guys on the 40 man to make room for him.

Agreed. Nothing to lose considering our current bench.

I'd DFA Gage, Bannon, or Peredes in order to get a hot lefty power bat right now

Or Bligh Madris who hasn't much of anything and was supposed to be our power LH bat off the bench.

Seriously...Madris has no business on this roster and I'd rather that spot go to getting a look at someone who may have something to offer.

But also maybe they want Singleton to keep mashing in AAA so his trade value increases rather than have him rot on the bench as a PHer with very few opportunities. And no I'm not talking about a trade that would center around JS but more as a throw in piece that a team may be interested in enough and could push a deal across the finish line.
Wabs
AG
Hopefully our roster looks very different at this time next week.
Farmer1906
AG
Ketch has been all over him. I like it a lot.
W
AG
with regard to Julks...

besides being on an 0 for 20 streak...he's lost the power he displayed earlier in the season.

19 x-base hits in 271 at-bats. Only 3 x-base hits in July. Slugging % down to .373.

he hits a lot of fly balls and line drives to outfielder depth...which are outs in MLB.

struggling to drive the ball over their heads (like Chas does) or over the wall
Bag
AG
Any update on Uncle Mikes status?
CFTXAG10
AG
As much as I b**** about our shortcomings at times throughout this season, it is pretty amazing that we are a game out of the division lead with all the s*** we have had to endure in regards to numerous injuries and incompetent management. Now, we are on the cusp of getting The Goat, Air Yordan, and Urkeeding back to get hot at the right time.

Prosperdick
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

As much as I b**** about our shortcomings at times throughout this season, it is pretty amazing that we are a game out of the division lead with all the s*** we have had to endure in regards to numerous injuries and incompetent management. Now, we are on the cusp of getting The Goat, Air Yordan, and Urkeeding back to get hot at the right time.

If you look at run differential we've been very lucky to be where we are right now considering the slew of injuries we've faced. Now if we can just keep everyone relatively healthy for this stretch run it could be VERY fun.
Marvin
AG
Prosperdick said:

CFTXAG10 said:

If you look at run differential we've been very lucky to be where we are right now considering the slew of injuries we've faced. Now if we can just keep everyone relatively healthy for this stretch run it could be VERY fun.

Baltimore's run differential is worse than Houston's despite four more wins. Baseball is weird this year.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Big Al 1992
AG
If you really want to put fear in the league and specifically Arlington you absolutely start Yordan and Altuve today and go rake.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Last nights sac fly was very encouraging at least, he drove that pitch in to the out of town scoreboard jank noodle arm guy just made a great catch.
CFTXAG10
AG
Thought I heard Blum and TK mention we lead the AL in unearned runs allowed. Not great news if you are trying to keep that run differential respectful.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

with regard to Julks...

besides being on an 0 for 20 streak...he's lost the power he displayed earlier in the season.

19 x-base hits in 271 at-bats. Only 3 x-base hits in July. Slugging % down to .373.

he hits a lot of fly balls and line drives to outfielder depth...which are outs in MLB.

struggling to drive the ball over their heads (like Chas does) or over the wall

Julks has been absolutely obliterating the ball and has been crazy unlucky lately.

He needs to just keep it up and they'll start falling again.
Prosperdick
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Last nights sac fly was very encouraging at least, he drove that pitch in to the out of town scoreboard jank noodle arm guy just made a great catch.
He's been hitting it on the screws a lot lately, just really bad luck. It happens...Pena and Dubon though, woof.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Thought I heard Blum and TK mention we lead the AL in unearned runs allowed. Not great news if you are trying to keep that run differential respectful.

Defense has been terrible this year
Marvin
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Lolligaggers.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Lolligaggers.

Abreu, Myers and Pena have had a rough year defensively.

Well pena is just inconsistent because he has had great moments.
BCEDAg
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

45 unearned runs so far.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Lolligaggers.

Abreu, Myers and Pena have had a rough year defensively.

Well pena is just inconsistent because he has had great moments.

Those errors have snowballed at times, too, with multiple runs scoring afterwards. Bielak gave up 5 or 6 runs but only 3 were earned. I'd have to look it up, but I would not expect our relievers to be leading the league in inherited runners stranded- earned or otherwise.
Boiling Denim
bobinator said:

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in how many people read the Rangers thread or how few championships y'all want to give Aggie basketball.

People wasting a magic genie on Aggie basketball and baseball reminds me of this comic. Y'all are crazy

Farmer1906
AG
Rays looking at add.

Farmer1906
AG

Faustus
gambochaman said:

I'm glad he can still have fun, because he's doing his numbers no favors.

1-11 on the season, and a 5.49 ERA (.2 bWAR). Still making $8.5 million when you're no longer good at your job is a pretty good gig if you can get it.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bag said:

Any update on Uncle Mikes status?

He won't play this year. Nothing has changed. I've heard this from both of my sources
GhostWipe15
AG
I need some trade movement... my refresh button is getting worn out...
texasaggie2015
AG
I honestly don't expect anything until within 24-48 hours of a the deadline. I would be pleasantly surprised to see a deal done over the next couple days.
Farmer1906
AG
ESPN does an entire article on the trade deadline. We don't need anyone apparently.

Ten smaller trade deadline deals that could make a big impact for contenders (Athletic)
Quote:

Astros get Michael Lorenzen
The co-creator of Stuff+, Max Bay, now works for the Astros. In a possibly related matter, the Astros have the best Stuff+ in baseball.

Lorenzen does not have the best Stuff+ on the market. That belongs (of course) to Shohei Ohtani. He also doesn't have the second-best. That's Dylan Cease. In fact, he's not in the top five of this handy chart created by throwing most of the starting pitchers on Jim Bowden's available list onto a custom leaderboard on FanGraphs. What you might notice is that Lorenzen is one of eight starters with above-average stuff that's available this deadline, and as a rental without a long track record, he has to be one of the cheaper gets on the list.
He has sneakily good stuff thanks to a sweeper he added in 2022.

But he also throws five or six other pitches that are all close to league-average by Stuff+. That represents an opportunity to tweak a pitch or the mix to coax more strikeouts out of the 31-year-old righty. An added benefit is that he has experience in the pen and the rotation, and could easily be a big glue guy for them in the postseason.

Astros Linked to Rockies All Star

Quote:

One player who could help the Astros at the first base position is Colorado Rockies and 2022 All-Star C.J. Cron. The first baseman was linked as a potential trade fit for Houston by MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

"One of the Rockies' four remaining impending free agents likely to move this week (the Rockies already dealt righty Pierce Johnson to the Braves), Cron has 11 home runs and a .779 OPS in 53 games this season," writes Feinsand. "The 33-year-old is owed a little less than $2.5 million in the final year of his current contract and ranks in the top 10 percent of the league in barrel percentage and xSLG, showing he can still do damage at the plate while providing good defense at first base."

Cron would be an upgrade both offensively and defensively for the Astros and could be had at a fair price considering his agent and impending free agent status at the end of the season.

The only issue is, Cron is not a versatile type of player. He can play first base and he can fill in at the designated hitter spot. That's it.

Farmer1906
AG
If we go Lorenzen, Bummer, & Choi (my pick) then I would say we did exactly what we needed and didn't give up any major prospects.
bobinator
AG
I mean it's not wasting, the magic genie is probably the only way we're ever winning a championship in basketball.
First Page Last Page
Page 1272 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.