***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,025,585 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

after pulling up the link on baseball savant for yuli and really diving into his stats, I didn't realize just how bad he was this year. Damn. Pretty damn pitiful.
It seems like a great time for him to call it a career IMO. Age finally caught up with him this year and I'm sure the regular season was a grind. But he got a few big hits for us in October and would get to go out a champion.
MarathonAg12
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is the best one yet
This is the best thing I will watch all year. Well besides Game 6.
Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Can you imagine how dominant we'd have been if uncle Mike hadn't got hurt?

He's our most consistent bat, and our DH spot was ice cold. That's a huge differential in our favor.
UM does so much for our lineup. He's gonna be able to hit .285 and work counts and have productive ABs until he's 50. Like you said, in this lineup of extreme streak hitters, it's nice to have a steady hand. Mike has literally never had a bad postseason series. Look at his numbers. Even in small sample sizes, unbelievably consistent.

He's also another LHB to break up the lineup so that a RHP can't get as locked in to just spinning sliders a foot outside.

So my cousin, who retired and decided to be an usher for the Astros (good call), told me one of the worst duties he has is keeping fans from going to their seat during an at bat (since he handles the lower level behind home plate shaded to first).

He said the worst person to have at bat is Uncle Mike, quite often there would be tons of angry fans queued up waiting while the professional hitter took his AB.

Man I hope we get him back!
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Prosperdick said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Can you imagine how dominant we'd have been if uncle Mike hadn't got hurt?

He's our most consistent bat, and our DH spot was ice cold. That's a huge differential in our favor.

Legitimately could have run the table with Uncle Mike at DH.
Uncle Mike hitting 4 HRs by himself in game 3?

Well for starters we would be up 2-0 and everyone would be looser so who knows if LMJ gives up that many bombs. Suarez could be tighter since he would know a loss would doom Philly's chances.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Anybody read ClutchFans? Nook is a well known poster over there and is well connected.

He's pretty confident we go after Jose Abreu. He also says he's heard Michael Conforto mentioned a lot and Mitch Haniger is another name that's been brought up. He says the team wants to extend the lineup.

He mentioned that his dream scenario is adding Conforto, Abreu and Verlander all on short term deals. Interesting. He knows his stuff and has insight.
Let's guess the cost.

JV - 2/72 M with year 2 needing to vest
Abreu - 2/36 M
Conforto - 1/18 with a team option for year 2 at a similar AAV
Can we do the above signings and still sign Yuli and Brantley? Or at least Yuli on a 1 year/5M?
Technically, they could, but logically it would make no sense. Conforto would be the everyday LF with Alvarez sharing time out there. Abreu would be the everyday 1B. Where would Brantley and Yuli fit? You're not going to go pay a guy like Conforto to platoon him.

Beat40
Ag_07 said:

No doubt

Just an interesting sidebar.

And IIRC the Astros have been after Abreu for a while now both via trade and the last time he was slated for FA before he reupped with CWS.

I love Yuli, but I do hope we get Abreu. That dude can hit.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Jose Abreu is also from Cuba.
irish pete ag06
AG
Here we go again...

The Astros are lefty killers.
VS RHP

VS LHP

Losing Brantley really hurt our offensive production vs RHP is my theory.

VS RHP

VS LHP

Chas crushes LHP pitching. He can be an everyday CF and be probably a 2-3 WAR player, but ideally we would find an OF bat that can platoon with him.

Assuming 1B is wide open... Once again, I'd be looking for LHBs here too.

I would be targeting Left Handed bats or folks that hit RHP better in general.

More on the specific targets there later.

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe and a few of us mentioned targeting lefties with the shift going away, but I wonder if the market hasn't gone too far. So far that you might be able to find righties who are better than their lefty counterparts who are cheaper.
EABC_AG
I agree. I'm very much against the idea we should re-sign Yuli (hoping he improves at 39) and re-sign Brantley (coming off shoulder surgery) and call it an off-season for the offense. Having one of them back in a bench role makes sense but relying on either for an every day role feels nostalgic more than anything else.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe and a few of us mentioned targeting lefties with the shift going away, but I wonder if the market hasn't gone too far. So far that you might be able to find righties who are better than their lefty counterparts who are cheaper.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
loma_vista78 said:

I agree. I'm very much against the idea we should re-sign Yuli (hoping he improves at 39) and re-sign Brantley (coming off shoulder surgery) and call it an off-season for the offense. Having one of them back in a bench role makes sense but relying on either for an every day role feels nostalgic more than anything else.
My head is telling me no, but my heart says yes. Gonna go with my gut, which says chicken chimichangas.
Wabs
AG
Deluxe
AG
ESPN anticipating the "Jose Abreu faces his former team" story line
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Will the leaf blower make another appearance?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dshedd41
S
https://danoshedd.substack.com/p/dusty-baker-will-return-in-2023?sd=pf
Gig’em Aggies!
AggiEE
loma_vista78 said:

Yuli tore it up in the playoffs and is one year removed from being the batting champ

Sign him to a cheap deal.

Brantley is a professional hitter and a lefty. Sign him

I can do without a big overpay for a bat at 1B or LF, if Brantley or Yuli don't pan out you can always make some changes at the trade deadline again or try experimenting with rookie talent like Diaz
HarryRocket
We don't need young guys for our role players.

Yuli and Brantley would work great as role players. Pay Them more to do that. This is our window and they're apart of this but I agree, heavily relying for on field production would be a mistake.

Basically replace Mancini and dubon with Brantley and Yuli.

Tucker needs to be able to play CF when needed.
All I do is Nguyen
I hope Yuli retires so he can go out an Astro and on top.

Like I said earlier I wish we had resigned Mancini because I feel that his bat would have corrected next season and he could have feasted on the Crawford boxes. His defense seemed to be spot on during the WS, so who knows. Either way I hope he ends up somewhere that can appreciate him and he does well (except the Astros of course).
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Buck Compton
AG
HarryRocket said:

We don't need young guys for our role players.

Yuli and Brantley would work great as role players. Pay Them more to do that. This is our window and they're apart of this but I agree, heavily relying for on field production would be a mistake.

Basically replace Mancini and dubon with Brantley and Yuli.

Tucker needs to be able to play CF when needed.
Dubon isn't going anywhere. He plays every position with a plus arm and is pretty quick.

He's also controllable and cheap for a few years since this is his first arbitration year.
MAROON
AG
Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

What is Crane doing? I get the feeling that Crane is afraid to ruffle feathers if he offers Click a longer deal than Dusty. These guys aren't a package deal.

If he likes Click enough to bring him back sign him to a longer deal and give him the reigns and LFG.

Dusty I get on a 1 year deal given his age but any team in the league would be chomping at the bit to give Click a long deal.

A 1 year deal for Click is a slap in the face and I wouldn't blame him for walking. Maybe underneath the table Crane has told James he'll be in 1 year deals until Dusty is gone so as to not show favoritism and when the time comes that Dusty hangs it up he'll get locked into a long term deal.

He doesn't like him! He's only bringing him back because you can't fire the GM of the team that just won the WS.
Farmer1906
AG
Since I've seen a wide range of values (1/9.5 to 3/60) for Abreu, I wanted to look at history.

Richest by AAV for a 36 or 37 years old:
Max Scherzer 3/130
Justin Verlander 2/66
Manny Ramirez 2/45 - 22.5
Charlie Morton 1/20
Jose Bautista 1/18.5 - 18.5
Barry Bonds 5/80 - 18
Adrian Beltre 2/36 - 18
Derek Jeter 3/51 - 17
Justin Turner 2/34 - 17
JA Happ 2/34
Rich Hill 3/48
John Lackey 2/32
Max Scherzer 7/105
Carlos Beltran 3/45 - 15
Hiroki Kuroda 1/15
Charlie Morton 1/15

He's not Bonds or Jeter for his team so the 3-5 year deal is likely off the table. He wasn't Manny either skill-wise, but that was 15 years ago. It'll probably be 2 years for somewhere between 17 & 22 M per. Maybe a base at 2/36 with incentives to get it up to 2/44.
Buck Compton
AG
Marvin said:

From ESPN... guesses on free agent salaries

Quote:

3. Carlos Correa, SS
2022 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 8 years, $265 million ($33.1M AAV)

9. Justin Verlander, RHP
2022 Opening Day age: 40
Projected contract: 2 years, $72 million ($36M AAV)

13. Jose Abreu, 1B
2022 Opening Day age: 36
Projected contract: 2 years, $46 million ($23M AAV)

14. Willson Contreras, C
2022 Opening Day age: 30
Projected contract: 3 years, $45 million ($15M AAV)

15. Andrew Benintendi, OF
2022 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 3 years, $42 million ($14M AAV)

18. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
2022 Opening Day age: 33
Projected contract: 2 years, $34 million ($17M AAV)

23. Michael Brantley, LF
2022 Opening Day age: 35
Projected contract: 2 years, $28 million ($14M AAV)

26. Rafael Montero, RHP
2022 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 2 years, $25 million ($12.5M AAV)

27. Jurickson Profar, LF
Projected contract: 2 years, $24 million ($12M AAV)

28. Joc Pederson, LF
Projected contract: 2 years, $24 million ($12M AAV)

31. Josh Bell, 1B
Projected contract: 2 years, $20 million ($10M AAV)

32. Michael Conforto, OF
Projected contract: 1 year, $19 million

42. Christian Vazquez, C
2022 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 2 years, $14 million ($7M AAV)

Sign JV, Abreu/Rizzo, maybe some depth in the OF (or Uncle Mike on a 1 year deal) and then run it back in 2023.

We aren't investing heavy in C right now with the two rookies there behind Maldy. We also aren't going to go out and spend a lot on an OF, though Benintendi sure would fit in well.
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

What is Crane doing? I get the feeling that Crane is afraid to ruffle feathers if he offers Click a longer deal than Dusty. These guys aren't a package deal.

If he likes Click enough to bring him back sign him to a longer deal and give him the reigns and LFG.

Dusty I get on a 1 year deal given his age but any team in the league would be chomping at the bit to give Click a long deal.

A 1 year deal for Click is a slap in the face and I wouldn't blame him for walking. Maybe underneath the table Crane has told James he'll be in 1 year deals until Dusty is gone so as to not show favoritism and when the time comes that Dusty hangs it up he'll get locked into a long term deal.

He doesn't like him! He's only bringing him back because you can't fire the GM of the team that just won the WS.
Or because he doesn't have the replacement available yet.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Since I've seen a wide range of values (1/9.5 to 3/60) for Abreu, I wanted to look at history.

Richest by AAV for a 36 or 37 years old:
Max Scherzer 3/130
Justin Verlander 2/66
Manny Ramirez 2/45 - 22.5
Charlie Morton 1/20
Jose Bautista 1/18.5 - 18.5
Barry Bonds 5/80 - 18
Adrian Beltre 2/36 - 18
Derek Jeter 3/51 - 17
Justin Turner 2/34 - 17
JA Happ 2/34
Rich Hill 3/48
John Lackey 2/32
Max Scherzer 7/105
Carlos Beltran 3/45 - 15
Hiroki Kuroda 1/15
Charlie Morton 1/15

He's not Bonds or Jeter for his team so the 3-5 year deal is likely off the table. He wasn't Manny either skill-wise, but that was 15 years ago. It'll probably be 2 years for somewhere between 17 & 22 M per. Maybe a base at 2/36 with incentives to get it up to 2/44.

As always is the case, the market is determined by the most willing and able. I don't agree that you can make arbitrary projections without looking at who has what needs and what their individual budgets are. All it takes is one, which I'm sure is a phrase Boras has tattooed on his ass.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MAROON
AG
in either scenario, he doesn't like him
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Boiling Denim
EastCoastAgNc said:

Lotta 2023 typos in that release. Hopefully a sign of things to come
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
07ag
AG
https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/dusty-baker-press-conference-45195
https://ts.la/eric59704
BCSGrubber
AG
Dusty speaking spanish is awesome
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.