***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,018,977 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know. I'm surprised he only used one voice in it.
OKCAg2002
AG
The league definitely "f-ed around and found out." That was amazing.
Wabs
AG
Sign Yuli to a one-year deal for 5-6M and got get Abreu or Bell.
texasaggie2015
AG
Anybody read ClutchFans? Nook is a well known poster over there and is well connected.

He's pretty confident we go after Jose Abreu. He also says he's heard Michael Conforto mentioned a lot and Mitch Haniger is another name that's been brought up. He says the team wants to extend the lineup.

He mentioned that his dream scenario is adding Conforto, Abreu and Verlander all on short term deals. Interesting. He knows his stuff and has insight.
Teddy Perkins
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is the best one yet
All the feels! Best one yet, without question!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Anybody read ClutchFans? Nook is a well known poster over there and is well connected.

He's pretty confident we go after Jose Abreu. He also says he's heard Michael Conforto mentioned a lot and Mitch Haniger is another name that's been brought up. He says the team wants to extend the lineup.

He mentioned that his dream scenario is adding Conforto, Abreu and Verlander all on short term deals. Interesting. He knows his stuff and has insight.
Only thing that would concern me is the extensive injury histories on Abreu and Haniger.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Interesting that he hasn't opted out yet...maybe a sign that they are negotiating on something before free agency opens up.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

It's a mutual option. Maybe Trey said no.
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Only thing that would concern me is the extensive injury histories on Abreu and Haniger.
Not sure what you mean by extensive injury history for Abreu. Games played by year...

2015: 154
2016: 159
2017: 156
2018: 128
2019: 159
2020: 60 (this was a 60 game season)
2021: 152
2022: 157

He's a pretty durable guy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Not sure what you mean by extensive injury history for Abreu. Games played by year...

2015: 154
2016: 159
2017: 156
2018: 128
2019: 159
2020: 60 (this was a 60 game season)
2021: 152
2022: 157

He's a pretty durable guy.

Thought he had knee issues in his past...I must be getting him mixed up with another white Sox player
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'm hoping Uncle Mike is back, and if so, there's no room for Mancini.
Red Five
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Does Abreu have an injury history? He's played less than 145 games one season in his career (except the covid season and he was 60/60 that year).

His age would start to concern me a little, but I'm not seeing the injury concern unless it was offseason stuff.

edit: I see it was already addressed.
FrioAg 00
AG
Can you imagine how dominant we'd have been if uncle Mike hadn't got hurt?

He's our most consistent bat, and our DH spot was ice cold. That's a huge differential in our favor.
OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah, that may very well be the case. Maybe they're restructuring his current contract. But, what does JV stand to gain by doing that? Unless he just knows already that he wants to stay in Houston and is assured of getting a fair market offer from Crane?
AustinCountyAg
I want Abreu. He's a RH bat who could exploit the crawford boxes. He's shown the ability to put up good HR #'s in the past. Not to mention hit's for avg as well.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Conforto or Haniger would be very good names for LF. Abreu is the top 1B on the market. JV is MFin JV. This would easily exceed my expectations. We do this and we're favorites to repeat, easily.

Altuve - 160
Bregman - 133
Alvarez - 187
Abreu - 133
Tucker - 128
Conforto - 100 in 21, 154 in 20.
Pena - 101
McCormick - 110
Maldy - 69
bigjag19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm calling him Cocaine Mitch if it happens.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Harry Dunne
FrioAg 00 said:

He's our most consistent bat, and our DH spot was ice cold. That's a huge differential in our favor.
UM does so much for our lineup. He's gonna be able to hit .285 and work counts and have productive ABs until he's 50. Like you said, in this lineup of extreme streak hitters, it's nice to have a steady hand. Mike has literally never had a bad postseason series. Look at his numbers. Even in small sample sizes, unbelievably consistent.

He's also another LHB to break up the lineup so that a RHP can't get as locked in to just spinning sliders a foot outside.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Have the Astros ever signed a free agent with a QO attached to him? I don't think they have.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Have the Astros ever signed a free agent with a QO attached to him? I don't think they have.
I do not believe so and I doubt they start now.
Prosperdick
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Legitimately could have run the table with Uncle Mike at DH.
Ag_07
AG
It's kind of ironic that we don't want an aging Cuban at 1B in Yuli but don't mind signing one in Abreu.

But now since Mancini's option wasn't picked up I think you go after Abreu and Yuli (as a bench/DH/platoon player at 1B).
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Legitimately could have run the table with Uncle Mike at DH.
Uncle Mike hitting 4 HRs by himself in game 3?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Let's guess the cost.

JV - 2/72 M with year 2 needing to vest
Abreu - 2/36 M
Conforto - 1/18 with a team option for year 2 at a similar AAV
FrioAg 00
AG
That whole game mentality would have been different if we went to Phili up 2-0
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Interesting discussion
TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

104 home runs, 25-years old, and less than 3 full seasons in the big leagues. If he can stay healthy he's a lock yo hit more than 500 HR and could potentially threaten 600.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Let's guess the cost.

Abreu - 2/36 M
Gimme.

I should have seen the Conforto idea coming. We were pretty strongly connected to him around the postseason roster deadline. Lefty to take Brantley's place. I'll sign up for that. I think he'd be a plus LF.

Hope we're not a year late on Abreu but don't see much decline in his stats. I'd love to stick him between Yordan and Tucker.

This would also allow us to keep all seven starting pitchers and manage innings like crazy over the 162. Yes please.

If we snag those three, I'm totally cool rolling into 2023 with Maldy + Diaz/Lee behind the plate and then re-assessing at the deadline. I will shed a tear when Vazquez signs elsewhere though. Most people don't know this about me but I'm big into veteran/savvy catchers.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

It's kind of ironic that we don't want an aging Cuban at 1B in Yuli but don't mind signing one in Abreu.

But now since Mancini's option wasn't picked up I think you go after Abreu and Yuli (as a bench/DH/platoon player at 1B).
yuli 22' stats: -.3 WAR, .242 avg, .647 OPS
career: 13.4 WAR, .284 avg, .776 OPS

Abrue 22' stats: 4.2 WAR, .304 avg, .824 OPS
career: 31.9 WAR, .292 avg, .860 OPS

small sample why I'd sign Abreu over Yuli. Not to mention he's younger

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jose-abreu-547989?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yuli-gurriel-493329?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb
texasaggie2015
AG
Deluxe said:

Most people don't know this about me but I'm big into veteran/savvy catchers.
No kink-shaming here.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Let's guess the cost.

Abreu - 2/36 M
Can we do the above signings and still sign Yuli and Brantley? Or at least Yuli on a 1 year/5M?
Ag_07
AG
No doubt

Just an interesting sidebar.

And IIRC the Astros have been after Abreu for a while now both via trade and the last time he was slated for FA before he reupped with CWS.
AustinCountyAg
after pulling up the link on baseball savant for yuli and really diving into his stats, I didn't realize just how bad he was this year. Damn. Pretty damn pitiful.
Marvin
AG
From ESPN... guesses on free agent salaries

Quote:

3. Carlos Correa, SS
2022 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 8 years, $265 million ($33.1M AAV)

9. Justin Verlander, RHP
2022 Opening Day age: 40
Projected contract: 2 years, $72 million ($36M AAV)

13. Jose Abreu, 1B
2022 Opening Day age: 36
Projected contract: 2 years, $46 million ($23M AAV)

14. Willson Contreras, C
2022 Opening Day age: 30
Projected contract: 3 years, $45 million ($15M AAV)

15. Andrew Benintendi, OF
2022 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 3 years, $42 million ($14M AAV)

18. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
2022 Opening Day age: 33
Projected contract: 2 years, $34 million ($17M AAV)

23. Michael Brantley, LF
2022 Opening Day age: 35
Projected contract: 2 years, $28 million ($14M AAV)

26. Rafael Montero, RHP
2022 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 2 years, $25 million ($12.5M AAV)

27. Jurickson Profar, LF
Projected contract: 2 years, $24 million ($12M AAV)

28. Joc Pederson, LF
Projected contract: 2 years, $24 million ($12M AAV)

31. Josh Bell, 1B
Projected contract: 2 years, $20 million ($10M AAV)

32. Michael Conforto, OF
Projected contract: 1 year, $19 million

42. Christian Vazquez, C
2022 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 2 years, $14 million ($7M AAV)

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.