***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,009 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but he'll return as a 31 year old reliever sporting a career 4.87 ERA and negative WAR. I'm not holding my breath...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
He's worth the dart throw though. He's got stuff the really spins.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

does it require sticky **** to spin though? that is the big question
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
The Beef01
AG
RO519 said:

The Beef01 said:

Beat40 said:

Frok said:

The Beef01 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Keuchel with some words about the upcoming series in Houston and some not so nice comments about Lunhow.
Coming from a place of having someone close to me who worked in the front office closely with Luhnow, it's really not shocking to see how people who actually interacted with the guy seem to feel about him.

There wasn't a lot of "poor Jeff" from rank-and-file Astros employees when he was dismissed...there also wasn't a lot of concern that the organization would fall apart; they were actually excited about the prospect of credit being given where it was due instead of glory hounded by him.

Credit always goes to the leader because they are the ones that ultimately make the decisions. These people sound like they have sour grapes.
I'd imagine the comments being made are more about credit within the organization. It should be expected the leader gets praise outside of the organization. A good leader internally recognizes those who've helped make them successful and lets upper management know as well.

No idea if Lunhow did this or not.

Yep...not sour grapes by those people.

It's hilarious to see people on this thread so defensive of Luhnow when the guy would basically think they were uneducated rubes.

Unless you got your degree from an Ivy League institution, the guy had absolutely no use for your opinions or ideas. He established a system where he rewarded opportunists with the right background and disregarded those without to the organization's detriment.

It's how you wind-up with assistant GMs who essentially lit the match to make your organization an easy target to burn down by baseball writers...simply b/c he (Brandon Taubman) went to Cornell.

THAT is the exact vibe that he apparently put off too...he was just a symptom of the bigger problem for the organization under Luhnow.

All of the guys behind the system that found/developed the core of this roster left Luhnow and almost none of them were on pleasant terms, nor are they even on speaking terms.

Luhnow may have been a net positive for the organization, but given enough time he would've burned the whole thing down through front office toxicity. The organization was already headed that direction with PR headache after PR headache leading up to the "scandal."

The guy will likely never work in baseball again and I don't know what to tell you if you think it's b/c he was the GM of a successful team that was stealing signs when the people who would otherwise hire him know damn well that they were doing the same.
The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He is actually pretty reliable in The Show...I know that.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

does it require sticky **** to spin though? that is the big question
well it looks like he did something to increase his 4 seam spin rate in 2019

2017: 2295
2018: 2285
2019: 2408

He really shouldn't through his 4 seam fastball ever anyway though. Opponent batting average and slugging against that pitch each year was:

2017: .347/.579
2018: .333/.545
2019: .291/.494
scrimp
AG
Right now the entire bullpen has a negative WAR, minus Pressley (and Javier, I suppose). At least he's another possibility of a decent arm, and he's already in the system, therefore not costing new money or requiring prospects in a trade. I'm not getting my hopes up, either, but at least we could have a new player to hate on in the BP......
Farmer1906
AG
Good post.

For guys who threw at least 100 pitches, he was 12th in 2019 in curve spin & 74th in slider spin. He should still be able to use those.
Marvin
AG
scrimp said:

Right now the entire bullpen has a negative WAR, minus Pressley (and Javier, I suppose). At least he's another possibility of a decent arm, and he's already in the system, therefore not costing new money or requiring prospects in a trade. I'm not getting my hopes up, either, but at least we could have a new player to hate on in the BP......

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
bearkatag15
AG
His changeup is his best pitch. Batting average on that pitch is .172, .172 and .129 each of those 3 years.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Brantley out
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
He's batting 2nd
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He's batting 2nd
That's what I get for reading it so fast. I meant "Tucket is out".
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Not gonna say it, not gonna say it...
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The last part of this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Shows how out of touch Manfred is
YNWA_AG
AG
Shouldn't matter since we hit the threshold
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Faustus
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's batting 2nd
Still typing a little fast.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Faustus said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's batting 2nd
Still typing a little fast.

Been one of those days man...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggiEE
MAROON said:

I know Jeff and I can imagine he would be hard to work for, because he's a guy who is never satisfied and is a workaholic. He got screwed by Manfred because he didn't play nice with other GM's and Crane went along with the charade.

Jeff is doing fine, and will probably never be baseball again. He's managing a $250mil SPAC he started.

But if I was an owner he would be my GM today... but I'm not.

Ahhh, I see that Jeff continues his legacy of being an unethical DB by getting in on the SPAC craze
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
That's sour grapes from Glasnow.
astros4545
AG
He's as big a clown as his hair suggests
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Bulldog73
AG
So is there actually a change to the rule or is Glasnow whining while admitting that he was breaking the rule?
Mathguy64
AG
Bulldog73 said:

So is there actually a change to the rule or is Glasnow whining while admitting that he was breaking the rule?

I suggest he actively boo when Altuve bats. Maybe he can divert attention from the fact HES CHEATING HIS ASS OFF
Ag_07
AG
So Glasgow thinks him not being able to pitcher within the rules caused his injury.

WTF?
First Page Last Page
Page 564 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.