***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,030 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
The Beef01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Keuchel with some words about the upcoming series in Houston and some not so nice comments about Lunhow.
Coming from a place of having someone close to me who worked in the front office closely with Luhnow, it's really not shocking to see how people who actually interacted with the guy seem to feel about him.

There wasn't a lot of "poor Jeff" from rank-and-file Astros employees when he was dismissed...there also wasn't a lot of concern that the organization would fall apart; they were actually excited about the prospect of credit being given where it was due instead of glory hounded by him.
tjack16
AG
astros4545 said:

tjack16 said:

Keuchel was somebody I was upset that we got rid of. He could really help us now and could have helped a lot last year
He could really help out our bullpen?

We would not have had to sign odorizzi

Also yeah a starter who goes deep into games does help the bullpen
Ag_07
AG
Pretty typical Keuchel comments

Ironic that he rails on Luhnnow but didn't it turn out that Luhnow offered him the best contract?

Bet if he knew then how it would all shake out he'd of taken that contract offer.

Never was a big fan of Keuchel's off field snarky comments. Enjoyed him on the mound and damn it was fun watching he pitch, but not so much in front of a mic. Kind of insufferable really.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Beef01
AG
The Milkman said:

Marvin said:

Scheduled our trip to Cleveland over July 4th weekend to watch the Astros. Will catch a Tigers- White Sox game while up there as well. Looking forward to seeing a couple of new stadiums. Anyone been to either of these?

I'm going to mark off Chicago when we play the White Sox in mid July. I hear Comisky is one of the shockingly best parks to visit. Though it is very much in the south side hood.
Yes....it's actually a surprisingly nice stadium and it's also in a pretty rough area; my 1st time there about 20 years ago, coming out of the stadium on a relatively cool evening, right in the parking lot was a group of guys who had a nice barrel fire going to keep themselves warm.

Great American Ballpark in Cincy is still the runaway, for me, of parks that I didn't have any thoughts about until I visited and now think it's easily one of the best places in the league.
Farmer1906
AG
I love that DK is not afraid to speak his mind. When he dropped "Disappointment is a little bit of an understatement" after the 2017 trade deadline, people were so pissed at him, but he was so right. Thank goodness Lunhow got JV deal done in Aug. He was there for the bad times, helped build us up, and got to the top of the mountain before leaving.

The Beef01
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Where is Passan's sanctimonious outrage for pitchers blatantly cheating? The Astros stealing signs was about the worst thing imaginable for this guy. But this time it's "oh everyone is doing it" so mlb, teams and players will "work together" to fix it.

Screw this blow hard
Well, if MLB wasn't trying to keep a seal on information that shows the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. were just as involved in sign stealing as the Astros and it got out there....I'm sure his tone would change there too.

In this case, it's the Yankees & Dodgers pitchers at the forefront of this....so, naturally he is taking a tough stance of *checks notes* saying that it's a systemic problem and everyone needs to knock it off. Make no mistake, though, he will be going through Tampa's results with a fine tooth comb b/c they need to be knocked down a peg or two.
Prosperdick
AG
He was a thorn in the Yankees side and I'll always appreciate him for that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Can't wait for the first time Angel Hernandez or Joe West does something consistent with their character and makes it personal with a player.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
Yeah it's definitely the yin and the yang with a guy like Keuchel. If you're going to have a vocal leader that puts pressure on the front office and teammates to do the right thing, then you also have to put up with the comments he makes that you might not like. I'll take a chirpy guy all day long so long as he gets it done on the field and stays out of trouble off, which he definitely did.

I was not upset that he was not brought back. He's still a good pitcher and the contract he's on is reasonable, but his best days are behind him and we've got guys to pay whose best days are ahead.
tjack16
AG
Hopefully none of our guys get popped with the sticky stuff suspension. Would be really nice to have our team never mentioned with this one
Frok
AG
The Beef01 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Keuchel with some words about the upcoming series in Houston and some not so nice comments about Lunhow.
Coming from a place of having someone close to me who worked in the front office closely with Luhnow, it's really not shocking to see how people who actually interacted with the guy seem to feel about him.

There wasn't a lot of "poor Jeff" from rank-and-file Astros employees when he was dismissed...there also wasn't a lot of concern that the organization would fall apart; they were actually excited about the prospect of credit being given where it was due instead of glory hounded by him.

Credit always goes to the leader because they are the ones that ultimately make the decisions. These people sound like they have sour grapes.
W
AG
I'll take Luhnow over Keuchel.

notice that the Braves were okay with letting him go after the 2019 season.

and this year Keuchel is being paid $18 MM for a 4.14. ERA.

that's kind of lower-to-middle of the pack value for a starting pitcher
MosesHallRAB04
AG
tjack16 said:

Hopefully none of our guys get popped with the sticky stuff suspension. Would be really nice to have our team never mentioned with this one

Call it a hunch but Astros will be more under the microscope due to sign stealing. They will be inspected a lot
Ag_07
AG
I don't doubt he was hard to work with but doesn't every GM get the credit?

Never heard of an Assistant GM or any other lower tier FO folks get credit for team success. Not sure what that complaint is all about.
W
AG
and by the way...the White Sox have played an absolute garbage schedule.

seriously... 32 games vs. the Tigers, Twins, Royals, Orioles, and Rangers.

plus another 12 vs. the Angels, Mariners, Cardinals, and Reds
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

I'll take Luhnow over Keuchel.

notice that the Braves were okay with letting him go after the 2019 season.

and this year Keuchel is being paid $18 MM for a 4.14. ERA.

that's kind of lower-to-middle of the pack value for a starting pitcher

I bet Keuchel wishes he took that contract offer Lunhow gave him. I wonder if he realizes he cost himself $30+ million
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
YNWA_AG
AG
It's easier to blame luhnow than blame himself
Ag_07
AG
Exactly

He can bash JL all he wants but in the end Luhnow was the one who was willing to pony up for DK.
Beat40
Frok said:

The Beef01 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Credit always goes to the leader because they are the ones that ultimately make the decisions. These people sound like they have sour grapes.
I'd imagine the comments being made are more about credit within the organization. It should be expected the leader gets praise outside of the organization. A good leader internally recognizes those who've helped make them successful and lets upper management know as well.

No idea if Lunhow did this or not.
All I do is Nguyen
I hope the offense continues rolling the way it has been and the pitching is SUPERB this series against the Ranger!
Faustus
12law said:

Farmer1906 said:

12law said:

Deluxe said:

Offensive fWAR ranks (AL):

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

Wait, so Straw is not a below average player at the plate? Don't tell TexAgs!

No, he's still below avg by about 18%.

There are 16 teams in the AL with at least nine hitters, which is 144 players. Being 56/144 means you're above average in my book.

Yes, I know what fWAR means and how it is calculated. I'm just saying that if Straw has fWAR that is better than the majority of players, and that makes him above average. (I guess it's more accurate to say above the median, but you get the point.)
Did the AL poach an NL team for this season?
MAROON
AG
I know Jeff and I can imagine he would be hard to work for, because he's a guy who is never satisfied and is a workaholic. He got screwed by Manfred because he didn't play nice with other GM's and Crane went along with the charade.

Jeff is doing fine, and will probably never be baseball again. He's managing a $250mil SPAC he started.

But if I was an owner he would be my GM today... but I'm not.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Farmer1906
AG
He bet on himself and lost. Jeff wasn't trying to give him a fair deal. He wanted a bargain by paying sooner. DK just couldn't quite replicate what he achieved in 14-15. He thought he could get Greinke, Scherzer, Verlander money.
bearkatag15
AG

Bless their hearts...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
8 stolen bases!!!!! No way!!!!! That's incredible
The Beef01
AG
Beat40 said:

Frok said:

The Beef01 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I'd imagine the comments being made are more about credit within the organization. It should be expected the leader gets praise outside of the organization. A good leader internally recognizes those who've helped make them successful and lets upper management know as well.

Yep...not sour grapes by those people.

It's hilarious to see people on this thread so defensive of Luhnow when the guy would basically think they were uneducated rubes.

Unless you got your degree from an Ivy League institution, the guy had absolutely no use for your opinions or ideas. He established a system where he rewarded opportunists with the right background and disregarded those without to the organization's detriment.

It's how you wind-up with assistant GMs who essentially lit the match to make your organization an easy target to burn down by baseball writers...simply b/c he (Brandon Taubman) went to Cornell.

Farmer1906
AG
Outside of Leon, this is the guy you wanted to have a huge season in the minors.

If he can be ready to take over when Castro/Maldy leave, we'll be set at catcher for a long time.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
RO519
AG
The Beef01 said:

Beat40 said:

Frok said:

The Beef01 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Yep...not sour grapes by those people.

It's hilarious to see people on this thread so defensive of Luhnow when the guy would basically think they were uneducated rubes.

Unless you got your degree from an Ivy League institution, the guy had absolutely no use for your opinions or ideas. He established a system where he rewarded opportunists with the right background and disregarded those without to the organization's detriment.

It's how you wind-up with assistant GMs who essentially lit the match to make your organization an easy target to burn down by baseball writers...simply b/c he (Brandon Taubman) went to Cornell.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Big news on Glasnow...
EastCoastAgNc
AG

htxag09
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 563 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.