***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,047 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, instituting this in the middle of a season largely benefits teams who have spent most of the season playing weaker teams (I e. the A's). When they go on to play the better teams, pitchers will be worse and they'll be easier to beat. I wish they had done this at the boundary of either the regular season ending of between years.
W
AG
is there going to be room for both Yuli and Matt Olson on the all-star team at 1B?
W
AG
Toronto played game #64 tonight. George has played in 4 games.

he is not expected to play in the Jays' 3-game series vs. the Yankees.

so Springer will officially not reach the 100-games-played plateau in 2021
Beat40
I say tell the pitcher to give their max effort as if they had the sticky stuff. If the result is Fernando Tatis Jr, Aaron Judge, Otahni, and Trout getting hit with balls, MLB will make changes in an instant. Guarantee the players will be putting up a stink at that point.

Josh Donaldson might actually get hit now.
bearkatag15
AG

I don't care... sign him
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
agproducer
AG
Colon is going to pitch until he is 60.
astros4545
AG
W said:

Toronto played game #64 tonight. George has played in 4 games.

he is not expected to play in the Jays' 3-game series vs. the Yankees.

so Springer will officially not reach the 100-games-played plateau in 2021

Blue Jays trying to retain an extra year of control I guess?
agdaddy04
AG
Did they call him big sexy?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Where is Passan's sanctimonious outrage for pitchers blatantly cheating? The Astros stealing signs was about the worst thing imaginable for this guy. But this time it's "oh everyone is doing it" so mlb, teams and players will "work together" to fix it.

Screw this blow hard
The Milkman
AG
Marvin said:

Scheduled our trip to Cleveland over July 4th weekend to watch the Astros. Will catch a Tigers- White Sox game while up there as well. Looking forward to seeing a couple of new stadiums. Anyone been to either of these?

I'm going to mark off Chicago when we play the White Sox in mid July. I hear Comisky is one of the shockingly best parks to visit. Though it is very much in the south side hood.
The Milkman
AG
12law
AG
Farmer1906 said:

12law said:

Deluxe said:

Offensive fWAR ranks (AL):

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

Wait, so Straw is not a below average player at the plate? Don't tell TexAgs!

No, he's still below avg by about 18%.

There are 16 teams in the AL with at least nine hitters, which is 144 players. Being 56/144 means you're above average in my book.

Yes, I know what fWAR means and how it is calculated. I'm just saying that if Straw has fWAR that is better than the majority of players, and that makes him above average. (I guess it's more accurate to say above the median, but you get the point.)
Deluxe
AG
It's much fewer than 144 because fWAR narrows down by number of ABs. Also, generally speaking, more ABs generates a higher fWAR. Straw has gotten full time ABs, while many of the players who occupy the 144 haven't.

FWIW, in looking back at Fangraphs, it looks like only 79 position players qualified.

This clarification isn't to take away from Straw's good performance recently. Hopefully he can keep it up.
tjack16
AG
Tonight starts the 20 game stretch where we have a chance to really take control of the division
JABQ04
AG
agproducer said:

Colon is doing to pitch until he is 60.

He's the Tom Brady of baseball.
astros4545
AG
Deluxe said:

It's much fewer than 144 because fWAR narrows down by number of ABs. Also, generally speaking, more ABs generates a higher fWAR. Straw has gotten full time ABs, while many of the players who occupy the 144 haven't.

FWIW, in looking back at Fangraphs, it looks like only 79 position players qualified.

This clarification isn't to take away from Straw's good performance recently. Hopefully he can keep it up.
I refuse to believe that Straw is 56 out of 79 regular everyday players

Not completely sure how fWAR is calculated, but it is a a stat that will never have credibility if it gives a .600 OPS player some sense of value

All that being said...Straws performance when not including April's numbers are fine with me and I would be thrilled if he keeps up what he has been doing the past 6 weeks
Bregxit
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Did they call him big sexy?

They sure did.
Farmer1906
AG
12law said:

Farmer1906 said:

12law said:

Deluxe said:

Offensive fWAR ranks (AL):

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

Wait, so Straw is not a below average player at the plate? Don't tell TexAgs!

No, he's still below avg by about 18%.

There are 16 teams in the AL with at least nine hitters, which is 144 players. Being 56/144 means you're above average in my book.

Yes, I know what fWAR means and how it is calculated. I'm just saying that if Straw has fWAR that is better than the majority of players, and that makes him above average. (I guess it's more accurate to say above the median, but you get the point.)
Keep in mind WAR values your defense too. And your defensive position impacts it.

When if we're just talking at the plate, I looked at his wRC+, which was sitting at 82.

There are 141 qualified batters. Dead last is JBJ at 40 (holy **** that's terrible). Straw, now 86, is ranked 117th.
W
AG
yep, the Brewers got took on that one.

and Bradley Jr. and his agent were originally wanting a 4 or 5-year deal. He is awful.

getting paid $13 MM this year and owed $11 MM next year
Ag_07
AG
Could Straw be trade bait to include with prospects?

Give Chas his job and package Straw with a 40-man BP arm like Taylor and some lotto ticket for a BP upgrade.
tjack16
AG
I'll be at the game tonight.... and so will the ripped jeans
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

You're a good sport TJack
BCSGrubber
AG
Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

You're a good sport TJack
Are we sure he has any other type of jeans?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Former pitcher on sunscreen+rosin:

94chem
JABQ04 said:

agproducer said:

Colon is doing to pitch until he is 60.

He's the Tom Brady of baseball.
Big Sexy getting the Eric Gregg strike zone there.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Beat40
I think his response is measured and about where I am with the whole ordeal. In my mind, baseball should be talent on talent. I don't mind grip for control, but I do mind pitches that aren't natural. I think that's the line and is worth doing something.
gigemJTH12
AG
whats the latest on Verlander?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

whats the latest on Verlander?
Last update was a month or so ago, he's in the throwing program. Post-season is a long shot, and even if he were available, it would be as a reliever only.
gigemJTH12
AG
damn. miss him.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
I expect a lot of bullpen moves to be made in the next 3 weeks with guys coming up and down based on usage.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So our bullpen now has the following arms:

Pressly
Stanek
Raley
Javier
Taylor
Bielak
Garza

bearkatag15
AG

Keuchel with some words about the upcoming series in Houston and some not so nice comments about Lunhow.
tjack16
AG
Keuchel was somebody I was upset that we got rid of. He could really help us now and could have helped a lot last year
astros4545
AG
tjack16 said:

Keuchel was somebody I was upset that we got rid of. He could really help us now and could have helped a lot last year
He could really help out our bullpen?
First Page Last Page
Page 562 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.