Astros did nothing wrong.

15,315 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by West Point Aggie
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Not everyone is setting up a monitor behind the dugout like the Astros did... You clearly don't understand what's going on.
No, they were using guys in the replay room who were not monitored at all by the MLB to txt messages to players via smart watches and cell phones. Just because other teams didn't have the exact same system, doesn't mean they weren't using their own system to cheat.
Produce your evidence
ac04
the number of adult men who can't simply admit that what their favorite team did was wrong and take their medicine in this whole thing is staggering. get ahold of yourselves.
Texaggie7nine
wbt5845 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Not everyone is setting up a monitor behind the dugout like the Astros did... You clearly don't understand what's going on.
No, they were using guys in the replay room who were not monitored at all by the MLB to txt messages to players via smart watches and cell phones. Just because other teams didn't have the exact same system, doesn't mean they weren't using their own system to cheat.
Produce your evidence
Well we already have the Yanks and the Redsox who were punished for doing that very thing before. We have the Atlantic admitting that every source, inside and out, they had for the Astros cheating also believed many other teams to be doing the same things. We have former players and active players tweeting and making comments alluding to the fact that other teams were using technology in 2017 to steal signs after the warnings.

It all fits a pattern.

To think that 1 or two teams that had players and staff moving to other teams every season would be the only ones doing this seems a bit far fetched.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
ac04 said:

the number of adult men who can't simply admit that what their favorite team did was wrong and take their medicine in this whole thing is staggering. get ahold of yourselves.
Most of us are admitting that it was wrong, and we accept the punishment fully. We just find the wailing of other fans to be ignorant.

It was like when the steroid scandal broke. At first I was angry but then, I realized how common it was and that my team probably had some offenders as well (Bagwell, Camineti). I didn't like it but I wasn't about to go calling the A's and Cubs a bunch of cheaters knowing how much glass my house was made of.

I didn't cry for trophies and rings to be returned.
7nine
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

The report set up their own replay room in the tunnel behind the dugout with a trash can set up next to it.

You can see their set up from this screenshot of the Astros' 2017 World Series championship movie:
Texaggie7nine
I'm fully aware of that. It is cheating. But it's the same TYPE of cheating as other teams using technology to pass signs. And indicators point to several teams.

The only big difference was the trashcan banging.
7nine
hawk1689
AG
As others have pointed out...If it were common, it wouldn't work and therefore they wouldn't be doing it.
wbt5845
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I'm fully aware of that. It is cheating. But it's the same TYPE of cheating as other teams using technology to pass signs. And indicators point to several teams.

The only big difference was the trashcan banging.
And other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
diehard03
Quote:

To think that the cheating is why the Astros won the WS is just childish jealousy.

Not sure how you can say this, especially the Astros.

You lost a 7 game WS to a worse team than the 2017 Dodgers with a better team than the 2017 Astros.

Baseball is literally the sport where you cannot assume you win when you remove advantages.
Bobcat06
AG
Marvin said:

Bobcat06 said:

That's disgraceful.
1. So is this thread

2. Do you even internet?

Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I completely agree. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a "triggered Dodger fan"
Texaggie7nine
hawk1689 said:

As others have pointed out...If it were common, it wouldn't work and therefore they wouldn't be doing it.
They didn't do it in 2018 before Fiers ratted them out. They found it not to be that useful. And only some players even used it during 2017 as others seemed to not find it useful from the start or weren't comfortable doing it.

You don't think with all the veteran leadership they had on the team that if it was really that much of a cheating advantage far and above what other teams did that they wouldn't have spoken up and tried to stop it? Knowing that their career reputations would be at risk.

If you think about it, it seems more like it was a behavior they did as a counterweight to believing the other team was doing just as much on their end to try to break Astros signs.

There are posts on the Astros thread on this very site, before any of this broke and Fiers did the interview where the poster was at an Astro game and noticed Astros staff sitting in seats near them with binoculars scanning the crowd and talking about finding plants for the opponents trying to steal signals and spy on the Astro dugout.

The fact that AJ Hinch took at baseball bat to the monitor in the hall 2 separate times makes it pretty evident that he hated the players doing it, but him not stopping them seems to say that he knows other teams are doing it too and he felt they had to fight fire with fire.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

I completely agree. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a "triggered Dodger fan"

BTW, Darvish is a national treasure. Asking about a parade for 2017 and whether someone can make him a "Yu Garbage" Jersey.

Maybe if he wins Game 3...in Houston...mmmm....
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I was mad at Yu Darvish for such a long time. His performance in Game 7 is still inexcusable...

He's hilarious on Twitter and a fantastic follow. Good human and I can't hate that.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Cromagnum said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Cromagnum said:

Everyone forgets that no matter what sign was given. The pitcher still needs to make the pitch, and the batter still needs to watch it or hit it, plus whatever the hell blue decides to do.

Oh, man. The amount of attempted justification and rationalization on here is just incredible.

No amount of cheating would have made me an MLB player. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong and deserving of punishment when it is done regardless of results.

Username checks out. Every damned team has stolen signs since the beginning of baseball. Anyone that act like they are innocent is full of ***** You still have to hit the ball to even benefit anyways.

So we go from rationalization to ad hominem. Everyone does it. ANYTHING to deflect the issue.

You keep saying the same bull**** over and over: if I'm an MLB player and I know or suspect a particular pitch is coming, I have a distinct advantage in hitting it. Sheesh. Is that really a difficult concept? I didn't really think I had to post that here but apparently I do.

Do you not get this? Or do you think the rest of us don't?
Texaggie7nine
diehard03 said:

Quote:

To think that the cheating is why the Astros won the WS is just childish jealousy.

You lost a 7 game WS to a worse team than the 2017 Dodgers with a better team than the 2017 Astros.

Baseball is literally the sport where you cannot assume you win when you remove advantages.
Produce anything that proves that the Astros were using trashcan banging or whistling or any other way to tell the batter the sign with noone on base during the WS.

Also prove that the Dodgers weren't also using technology to try to steal signals as well.

Produce any proof that the Astros had an advantage through cheating during the WS that the Dodgers did not.
7nine
Big Shooter
Staff
AG

Quote:

Produce anything that proves that the Astros were using trashcan banging or whistling or any other way to tell the batter the sign with noone on base during the WS.
I did this already in this thread. The tweet I included was a screenshot of their set up, with the trash can visible (peaking out from behind the staffer taking down the monitor). You can clearly see the World Series patch on Altuve's hat as he runs from the tunnel to the clubhouse following what I believe was Game 5.
hawk1689
AG
If that's how you rationalize it, so be it. I don't believe for one second that they weren't doing it in 2018 or last year. Not being sanctioned for something is not the same thing as being innocent. I'm also not buying the whole breaking of monitors story from the fall guy. He was the manager. If he wanted to stop a certain practice on the team...he would have. The Astros are a dirty organization. Stealing signs is not the only thing that other major league players have gone on the record to accuse them of doing.
Texaggie7nine
Richard Zane said:

Quote:

I did this already in this thread. The tweet I included was a screenshot of their set up, with the trash can visible (peaking out from behind the staffer taking down the monitor). You can clearly see the World Series patch on Altuve's hat as he runs from the tunnel to the clubhouse following what I believe was Game 5.
And that proves that the trashcan was used? Who's to say it wasn't left there all the time so as to not draw attention to it?

Do you have any footage of WS games that have banging sounds like the other videos that were released? It seems it would not be that hard to do.

Have you been to a WS game? I went to several of the Astros WS games in 2017 and 2019. I can't imagine hearing a bang at home plate with as loud as the crowd is during at bats.
7nine
wbt5845
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Also prove that the Dodgers weren't also using technology to try to steal signals as well.

Produce any proof that the Astros had an advantage through cheating during the WS that the Dodgers did not.
Commissioner's report is the proof.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I don't believe for one second that they weren't doing it in 2018 or last year.

There is 0 evidence to say they did. The report has no reason to lie. It made it clear it found no evidence of it happening in 2018. Not the trashcan banging especially. Using technology to decipher signs, they probably did in 2018 as did a lot of teams.

Quote:

I'm also not buying the whole breaking of monitors story from the fall guy.

Now you are just refusing to believe cooborated stories from multiple sources.

Quote:

The Astros are a dirty organization.

Ah, now I see. I should not have taken you seriously from the start.
7nine
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Have you been to a WS game? I went to several of the Astros WS games in 2017 and 2019. I can't imagine hearing a bang at home plate with as loud as the crowd is during at bats.
I went to Games 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 in 2017. I went to Game 3 of the 2010 World Series in Arlington as well.

The only time Minute Maid was deafening was on plays with big hits and big outs. Other than that, I remember there being a very nervous air about the entire building as if everyone was hanging on every pitch before it was thrown.
Texaggie7nine
wbt5845 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

It's not.

This is exactly what it says

Quote:

the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.
Nothing about banging or whistling.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
From where I was sitting down the baselines, people around me were cheering and waving towels for every pitch.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

Why is it on me to produce this? MLB already proved your culpability in the 2017 Postseason. Please prove the Dodgers.

On top of this...prove that these offset.
Texaggie7nine
MLB report didn't even specify WS.

There is so much assumption you have to make, but because of your bias, you just easily assume the astros HAD to have cheated in the WS and the dodgers didnt.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

I'm not sure why you think it matters. There was no need to try and figure out that chain. They found previous ones. We don't need to find all the various methods, if they even exist.

The cheating was already established with what they had.
GrapevineAg
AG
You won't get through to them. They are as intellectually dishonest as Baylor fans about the rape scandals.
diehard03
Quote:

MLB report didn't even specify WS.

There is so much assumption you have to make, but because of your bias, you just easily assume the astros HAD to have cheated in the WS and the dodgers didnt.

I'm not assuming the Dodgers definitely didn't cheat. But 2 cheaters doesn't mean your glory is restored.

It's not that hard:

You barely won the WS (including the entire postseason).
You cheated during the postseason.
We have no idea how the entire postseason would have played out had you not cheated.

You are asserting that no change would have happened. I am also not saying that the Dodgers definitely would have won. But there's doubt.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
GrapevineAg said:

You won't get through to them. They are as intellectually dishonest as Baylor fans about the rape scandals.
It's certainly a reoccurring theme when sports scandals arise. I'm certainly not equating what the Astros did to what Baylor did because that's especially heinous.

Fan tribalism is certainly real, and honestly, a very scary thing. Seeing our Aggies who are also Astro fans react this way is certainly concerning because we know they're good people and we know that they stand for our university's core values. How would we all react if A&M was caught up in something? It's easy to say now that we wouldn't act the same, but would we? I can't even say definitively that I wouldn't attempt to defend the Dodgers in a similar way because my fandom level is so high.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
There's a lot of doubt. After all, Yu Darvish wants a retroactive 2017 World Series parade in Los Angeles!

I, for one, say we give it to him. After all, and this is completely unbiased, the Dodgers deserve it! It's been 32 years!

(plz stros fans, see my sarcasm. not tryna fite about this)
Marvin
AG
Richard Zane said:

Seeing our Aggies who are also Astro fans react this way is certainly concerning because we know they're good people and we know that they stand for our university's core values.
Aggie/Astros fans on this forum have been compared to Hitler sympathizers and Baylor rape apologists just today. I think we could all do well to tone down the rhetoric.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I agree. There is a way to have a rational discussion about this, see the fan tribalism coming out and not equate it to the worst of the worst.
Texaggie7nine
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-suspicious-that-dodgers-are-stealing-signs-i-think-they-have-a-system/307580492/

Where there is smoke.....
7nine
wbt5845
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

wbt5845 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

It's not.

This is exactly what it says

Quote:

the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.

Commissioners report is the proof the Astros cheated. I know you want to drag this whole discussion off into a ditch and fight individual points. - I'm not gonna play.

The evidence put forth in the report is the proof the Astros cheated. Period. If you want to claim "every one else is doing it", produce evidence as good as the evidence I just produced.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.