Astros did nothing wrong.

15,314 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by West Point Aggie
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GrapevineAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

The report said nothing of the trash can banging being specifically used in the post season.

At some point, it switched from the trash can to whistles, but the cheating certainly continued into the post-season:

Cromagnum
AG
Everyone forgets that no matter what sign was given. The pitcher still needs to make the pitch, and the batter still needs to watch it or hit it, plus whatever the hell blue decides to do.
Texaggie7nine
That is the most baseless BS video I've seen on this whole thing. At least put in pictures of the players and CGI in their lips matching up to the whistles if you want to just push absolute unfounded BS.
7nine
TxAgPreacher
S
If you dont pick up on trash can banging, and whistling then it's your fault. If you think they are on to you it's as simple as changing your signals. It's part of the game. It's going to take them a while to crack the new code, and I think its naive to think that all teams don't have people in the booth doing this.
aggiederelict
Do you have a link to this interview with Brian McCann? I haven't heard of this.
Texaggie7nine
No it was a local radio show and back when the Atlantic article originally came out.

It wasn't a groundbreaking interview because there were so many other players coming out and saying it's not that uncommon among the league to use technology to steal signs.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

Said that the sign stealing using technology went into the post season. The very thing that other teams are doing. The very thing that Brian McCann (former Yankee) said in a radio interview that he knew that the Yankees did and why he walked up almost all of his signs to the pitcher against the Yankees in the ALDS in 2017.

The report said nothing of the trash can banging being specifically used in the post season.

Yikes. Such thin technicalities people are hinging their arguments on.

Brian McCann also has no knowledge on whether the Yankees continued using this after the Commish's warning.
claym711
AG
Everyone loves to hate the best. Remember spy gate and deflategate. Just an opportunity for fans to get some entertainment out of bashing.
GrapevineAg
AG

Quote:

Houston Astros cheating scandal

Quote:

• Postseason 2017: Manfred's report says the club continued using their systems to steal signs during the postseason, even after all 30 clubs were warned that September to not use electronics improperly to steal signs.

Or, if you want to read Manfred's actual report, it says:

Quote:

Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.
Quote:

For the Postseason, a portable monitor was set up on a table to replace the monitor that had been affixed to the wall near the dugout.
Quote:

Although I appreciate Hinch's remorsefulness, I must hold him accountable for the conduct of his team, particularly since he had full knowledge of the conduct and chose to allow it to continue throughout the 2017 Postseason.
Texaggie7nine
GrapevineAg said:

Quote:

Houston Astros cheating scandal

Quote:

• Postseason 2017: Manfred's report says the club continued using their systems to steal signs during the postseason, even after all 30 clubs were warned that September to not use electronics improperly to steal signs.

Or, if you want to read Manfred's actual report, it says:

Quote:

Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.
Quote:

For the Postseason, a portable monitor was set up on a table to replace the monitor that had been affixed to the wall near the dugout.
Quote:

Although I appreciate Hinch's remorsefulness, I must hold him accountable for the conduct of his team, particularly since he had full knowledge of the conduct and chose to allow it to continue throughout the 2017 Postseason.

Nowhere in any of that was trashcan, or ways to relay messages directly to the batter with no one on base mentioned, even though earlier in the report, the trashcan was specifically mentioned.

It is pretty clear that they have no evidence of direct batter communication from the dugout that happened during the postseason.

Using monitors and other technology in order to assist in deciphering signs is not unique to the Astros and Boston.
7nine
Bobcat06
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
Cromagnum said:

Everyone forgets that no matter what sign was given. The pitcher still needs to make the pitch, and the batter still needs to watch it or hit it, plus whatever the hell blue decides to do.

Oh, man. The amount of attempted justification and rationalization on here is just incredible.

No amount of cheating would have made me an MLB player. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong and deserving of punishment when it is done regardless of results.
Cromagnum
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Cromagnum said:

Oh, man. The amount of attempted justification and rationalization on here is just incredible.

No amount of cheating would have made me an MLB player. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong and deserving of punishment when it is done regardless of results.

Username checks out. Every damned team has stolen signs since the beginning of baseball. Anyone that act like they are innocent is full of ***** You still have to hit the ball to even benefit anyways.
GrapevineAg
AG
There's a difference between stealing signs and using cameras, tvs, replay, trashcans, and whistles to signal the pitch to the batter. It helps to hit the ball if you know it's a fastball vs off-speed.

Jeez, you guys are like the Baylor fans.
Texaggie7nine
GrapevineAg said:

There's a difference between stealing signs and using cameras, tvs, replay, trashcans, and whistles to signal the pitch to the batter. It helps to hit the ball if you know it's a fastball vs off-speed.

Jeez, you guys are like the Baylor fans.

I like how you combine all those together as if Astros were the only team to do all of them.
7nine
GrapevineAg
AG
Y'all keep saying that. I know the Red Sox are being investigated, and maybe the Yankees. I've heard nothing about the Dodgers or any other teams doing that, much less continuing to do it after having been warned by the commish. Got anything to offer other than baseless allegations and innuendo?
TxAgPreacher
S
Baylor fans downplaying rape, and dismissing something trivial that all teams are trying to do are very different. This is a game, but y'all act like they committed an unforgivable sin. This is deflate gate all over again. Completely silly.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Cromagnum said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Cromagnum said:

Username checks out. Every damned team has stolen signs since the beginning of baseball. Anyone that act like they are innocent is full of ***** You still have to hit the ball to even benefit anyways.
STEALING SIGNS IS NOT ILLEGAL. USING TECHNOLOGY TO DO SO IS ILLEGAL.

I am baffled by how many people are missing that CRITICAL point.

The Astros cheated. That was proven. They gave themselves an unfair advantage at home by using technology to better steal signs and got caught. Regardless if you think that impacts their ability to hit the ball (it drastically does, when you know where the pitch is going and how it's going to move, you can hit it more easily), that's cheating.
GrapevineAg
AG
Maybe they should print up a bunch of #CAJ t-shirts.
Texaggie7nine

The only players and former players really being vocal right now are alluding to this being league wide.

7nine
GrapevineAg
AG
A couple of vague tweets without any substance!? C'mon man.

When I was a soph at A&M, I was struggling to make a C in my Diff EQ class. All tests were scan-trons and there was 1 brilliant student in there that aced everything legitimately. Didn't take long for others to realize this, so they all sat around him on test day and copied off of him. They totally skewed the curve and screwed my grade, but I got an honest C (barely). Now, should I have copied too since everybody else was doing it? Hell no. I probably should have tatted them all out in my own self interest, but I'm no snitch.
Texaggie7nine
So what team are you claiming is the squeaky clean C grade? Could it be the Rangers??
7nine
GrapevineAg
AG
Not claiming any of them are a C. I'm just saying that cheating is cheating, no matter how many are doing it. I won't cheat. But hey, if cheating is no big deal to you then don't whine when you get called out.
Texaggie7nine
I don't support cheating. But I'm not going to ignore all the evidence pointing to and the common sense pointing to far more teams doing the same kinds of things.

I'm fine with MLB punishment but it better be honest in its approach and not just sweep the rest under the rug for the rest of the teams since the Atlantic article didnt target them and it looks better for the league.

But I know better than that. After the redsox the MLB will consider a point made and no need to dig up the fact that it was league wide and tarnish its reputation.

To think that the cheating is why the Astros won the WS is just childish jealousy.

If I could have my way, sign stealing even without technology should be considered cheating and punishable. I hate that it is part of the game.
7nine
94chem
Texaggie7nine said:

If I could have my way, sign stealing even without technology should be considered cheating and punishable. I hate that it is part of the game.

Of course you do. And that's exactly how we know that you don't know very much about baseball.

Since I was 8 years old, coaches at 3rd base gave signs, and the other team tried to guess what they were. If you could look in as a first base coach or peak back as a hitter, you did it.

You are welcome to be a fan of whatever team you want, and even live and die with how they do, but you need to leave serious baseball talk to people who know something about it.

Texaggie7nine
What mlb team did you play on little guy? How precious.
7nine
TxAgPreacher
S
Triggered Dodgers fan huh? Might wanna wait before casting stones. The Dodgers were most likely "cheating" too, and if you took a second to be unbiased you'd realize that what the Astros did was little more than any team using an ipad and relaying messages by tugging their ears. Sign stealing is gamesmanship, and every team is doing it. Getting upset about the how and why is silly in an age where everyone has an ipad and smartphone, and every team has staff dedicated to cracking the other teams signals.
BMo
TxAgPreacher said:

Triggered Dodgers fan huh? Might wanna wait before casting stones. The Dodgers were most likely "cheating" too, and if you took a second to be unbiased you'd realize that what the Astros did was little more than any team using an ipad and relaying messages by tugging their ears. Sign stealing is gamesmanship, and every team is doing it. Getting upset about the how and why is silly in an age where everyone has an ipad and smartphone, and every team has staff dedicated to cracking the other teams signals.
Totally agree. How were signals stolen in Dodger stadium where we beat them as well?
kb2001
AG
When this first started coming out, I was skeptical, primarily because it was the A's saying it, and they've accused 4 or 5 teams of this over the past 10 years or so. The first I recall was them accusing the Rangers of doing this back in 2011 or so. I thought it was sour grapes back then because the Rangers had some really good teams, and the A's are the perpetual "poor me" team, but now I'm not so sure.

After seeing 5 minutes of video evidence, it's blatantly obvious and it shocks me that teams didn't pick up on the signaling earlier. Hearing what other players are saying, it's pretty widespread across the league. Similar to the Saint's bounty-gate, it's a pretty common practice, and the team that gets caught gets hammered. Somebody above mentioned it, but MLB came out in the second half of 2017 and told teams to knock it off. The Astros didn't stop, got caught, and are getting the deserved punishment. Frankly, as pissed off as Manfred must be about this, the Astros are lucky it's not worse. However, they're still my team, and that won't change.

The thing that will frustrate me is if MLB makes the example out of the Astros, then fails to apply the same punishment to other teams that get caught doing it. I imagine the feeling around baseball right now is similar to the steroid era, players and teams are grateful that the Astros are the ones getting hammered for it and not their team.
Texaggie7nine
Even the Atlantic admits today that everything they heard points to other teams stealing signs with technology.

https://theathletic.com/1534933/2020/01/15/stark-take-back-the-astros-trophy-that-was-never-going-to-happen/?source=shared-article

Quote:

And also how do we know for sure that the other team wasn't doing something? It has been clear, in all of The Athletic's reporting on this issue, that no one believes the Astros were the only team stealing signs via technology. They're just the team that got caught. The Red Sox are now in this investigation pipeline. Who knows how many more teams could get swallowed up in this? How do we know the Astros weren't playing against those very teams when they were banging on those trash cans?
7nine
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Before this thread I felt bad for Astro fans having to deal with this bs, because it sucks.

Watching them justify that crap....... screw em.

I'd hate it if A&M got busted cheating and wouldn't be justifying it.
Marvin
AG
Bobcat06 said:

That's disgraceful.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

How did anything I said sound like I was a triggered Dodger fan?

You're arguing that stealing signs is gamesmanship, which I agree. Hell, I was 11 when we were taught to peak in from 2nd to try and relay signs to the batter. That's fair game, and yes, everyone is stealing signs through traditional measures. That is not the issue at hand. The use of technology to do so is the problem and that is cheating. That is what the Astros were caught doing.

"Everybody is doing it through an ipad and smartphone" is such a stupid argument. Not everyone is setting up a monitor behind the dugout like the Astros did... You clearly don't understand what's going on.

Never once in my post did I absolve the Dodgers or say they were clean. You're deflecting from my initial point because you don't actually understand why the Astros were punished and your bias is preventing you from accepting that your club is crooked and got caught.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Not everyone is setting up a monitor behind the dugout like the Astros did... You clearly don't understand what's going on.
No, they were using guys in the replay room who were not monitored at all by the MLB to txt messages to players via smart watches and cell phones. Just because other teams didn't have the exact same system, doesn't mean they weren't using their own system to cheat.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.