*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,701 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAggie2011 said:

I always think he needs to try something different in spring training---which may be true, nevertheless---but then he goes out and stinks up the last month of the season and I question my original thoughts about spring practice.
He's just not consistent at all and yeah..... not very good.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

1) Santana is way better than odor this year

FIFY

As has been spelled out in extreme detail:

(Odor <> Santana) wrt "contract"

The Rangers do not have the financial option to get rid of Odor. He is not playing because he's better - he's playing because he financially has to.

And Odor just E4s a DP ground ball.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
And after Mazara let's a fly ball become a triple earlier in the game, he makes a head first slide to rob Vlad Jr. of extra bases.
wbt5845
AG
ALLARD WITH ANOTHER K TO GET OUT OF 5TH INNNING

ALLARD IS DAMN GOOD.

WE FLEECED ATLANTA
TXAggie2011
AG
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

1) Santana is way better than odor this year

FIFY

As has been spelled out in extreme detail:

(Odor <> Santana) wrt "contract"

The Rangers do not have the financial option to get rid of Odor. He is not playing because he's better - he's playing because he financially has to.

And Odor just E4s a DP ground ball.
I don't think that's totally true. Its in their interest that he gets better and his value maximixed ("duh, 2011"), and if that means he needs some time at the AAA level or needs to take some days off to go wear out the batting cage, I think those are legitimate options.

I know his salary isn't a strictly true sunk cost, but its close to it. And playing him every day isn't the only way he could improve or, at least, sustain whatever value he has.

I certainly agree releasing him isn't a realistic option.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

You always throw this odor **** in my face, but it looks like I was right about 2 things that I declared very early into the season.

1) Santana is way better than odor

2) odor isn't very good

Most ranger fans outside of this site would probably agree with me.
Well, good thing I don't formulate MY opinion on yours or other fans opinions.

In no particular order, I place the following above the opinions of fans I don't know:

• Do I like him?
  • Do his teammates like him?
  • Does the manager like him?
  • Does the GM like him?

I'm going to say they probably have a perspective to his value, than fans who likely never played minor-league ball.

Santana is ONLY better than Odor in Batting Average.
Odor is really, really good.
You need to get your facts straight. Do you actually watch the games?

Santana's OPS is .911 and Odors OPS is only .716

Santana has very good instincts as a base runner. Odor always picks the worst time to steal a base and gets thrown out.

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
SANTANA SCORES FROM FIRST ON A DOUBLE BY ANDRUS TO RIGHT.

5-1 in top of 6th
TheAngelFlight
Quote:

Santana is ONLY better than Odor in Batting Average.

Odor is really, really good.
Santana's 2019 and career on base percentage are also higher.

Santana's career OPS is actually getting pretty close to Odor's. And Santana's career OPS+ is slightly higher.

None of that is to say that I think Santana is or is not the future anything for the Texas Rangers, but he is a former Rookie of the Year candidate who maybe figured a few things out that were ailing him.
TheAngelFlight
Its been said before, but it is strange how DallasAg94 is on such the defense regarding Odor that its led him to continually minimize what's been a very high quality season from Danny Santana.

What's so hard about saying "Santana has had a great year, but I think Rougned Odor is a good player?"
Grapesoda2525
TheAngelFlight said:

Its been said before, but it is strange how DallasAg94 is on such the defense regarding Odor that its led him to continually minimize what's been a very high quality season from Danny Santana.

What's so hard about saying "Santana has had a great year, but I think Rougned Odor is a good player?"
He seems to take it personally that a lot of rangers fans are very vocal on Twitter and radio shows about sitting odor, DFAing odor, trading him etc and replacing him with Santana.

He doesn't like that the rangers have a viable alternative. He literally wants the rangers to " ride or die" with odor and for everyone else to shut up about it and accept it. He probably hates that we traded for Nick Solak, another player who could step in for odor at second.

However, I'm not enthusiastic about a player who takes the first few months of every season off.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
MAZARA CRUSHES - I SAY CRUSHES - BALL ALL THE WAY TO THE SUBURBS OF TORONTO.

\6-3 Rangers top of7th.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Clase pitches two clean innings. 6-3 going into 8th
wbt5845
AG
SANTANA HOMERS ON AN 0-2 COUNT OMG SMASHED TO RIGHT ALMOST KILLS TORONTO BULLPEN CATCHER
wbt5845
AG
THAT TORONTO BULLPEN CATCHER HAS CHILDREN, DANNY SANTANA!
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Actually, Clase gave up 2 H in 0.1, allowing 2 Inherited Runners to score.

Allard's pitched much better than his line indicates.

Montero had a clean IP, with 2Ks.
Sorry, half watching on my phone at work.
Rossko
AG
There is 100% room for both Odor & Santana in the 2020 Opening Day lineup. Anyone that tries to make the conversation either/or is just showing their bias for or against Odor.
Old Tom Morris
Rossko said:

There is 100% room for both Odor & Santana in the 2020 Opening Day lineup. Anyone that tries to make the conversation either/or is just showing their bias for or against Odor.
Agree completely. This is not an either or situation. They found a nice player that can help them, and has helped them all year even with Odor still playing 2B. That's great
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Thoughts on where Santana best fits in next year? A lot of ink is saying 3rd base, but he's a natural shortstop. I know Elvis is still a superior fielding MLB SS (0.970 F% this year). Would it be too crazy an experiment to consider moving Elvis to 3B and letting Santana have a shot at SS?

I'm flat sold on Santana as an everyday player next year.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Actually, Clase gave up 2 H in 0.1, allowing 2 Inherited Runners to score.

Allard's pitched much better than his line indicates.

Montero had a clean IP, with 2Ks.
Montero has been a bad ass. Hopefully he's similar to Santana in that we have several years of control. No wonder JD traded Martin and Probably would've traded Kelley if he wasn't hurt.
_lefraud_
AG
wbt5845 said:

Thoughts on where Santana best fits in next year? A lot of ink is saying 3rd base, but he's a natural shortstop. I know Elvis is still a superior fielding MLB SS (0.970 F% this year). Would it be too crazy an experiment to consider moving Elvis to 3B and letting Santana have a shot at SS?

I'm all for moving Elvis eventually, as it will be his only (slim) shot at getting to 3,000 hits down the road. But with that said, I don't think moving the face of the franchise for the past decade for a guy only two years younger makes all that much sense (right now).
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

I'm really not sure why after watching sports for more than a few years that anyone would read anything into what any manager (or teammate) says positively about another player publicly.

Managers don't trash their players in the media. Players don't trash their teammates in the media. It's all coach/player-speak.

Only when you hear something negative should your ears perk up with realization that there may be something significant there.
That was coach speech?

I've never heard a coach go to the extent Woody did in that article.

Coach speak: "I really like Odor. He plays hard."

Not-Coach speak: "So you only hate him because he's good? Because he beats us, he hits homers off us, he's getting under our skin? I want guys like that on our team, because I want to do that to the opposing team."

Coaches don't publicly say they want players on their team, that they don't like. He would lose credibility with his other players.

He is saying that about a player *on his team*.

In an article *about* Odor where the writer wants comments *about* Odor.

You think if Woodward was coaching a team that Jose Bautista was on that he'd be saying the same things about Odor publicly?

It doesn't mean a thing. It's the sports equivalent of thinking because you called a former employer about a reference and they solely verify the dates of employment that they must have been a good employee otherwise they would have said otherwise.

I mean, I get that we're on a 24/7 sports-cycle so the talking heads and click-bait writers have to always have SOME kind of story... but I assumed any regular sports fan was wise enough to understand that a coach or teammate saying positive things about a player means absolutely nothing.

Go read some of those books about players who have nothing to lose regarding their historical image -- you find out real quick that a lot of these "real great clubhouses" were filled with guys who were racist, *******s and flat out did not like one another.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Hard to say, off-season trades make create a regular spot for him. I'd say either 3b or CF as a primary position, but still playing all over when needed.

By 2021 I am expecting either Apostel or Jung to be the primary 3b though. I think Elvis is the Ss for a couple more seasons at least; maybe he eventually moves to 2b? I think 3b may be occupied within a year or two.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

ALLARD IS DAMN GOOD.

WE FLEECED ATLANTA

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

wbt5845 said:

ALLARD IS DAMN GOOD.

WE FLEECED ATLANTA

I actually kind of feel bad for the Braves. We have no reason to make fun of them and laugh at their misfortune. At least they had the balls to make a trade with us, unlike the twins and the Yankees. I was hoping martin would be a great piece for them, Braves lose to the dodgers in the NLCS, then Martin comes back to us.
wbt5845
AG
No one ever feels bad for us when we make a bad trade.
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.