*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,682 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Rossko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Saying hes the greatest GM we've ever had isnt saying much
If he wins the next 5 World Series in a row he's still the best we've had and people like you still make the same stupid comments.
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Interesting overview of Ranger minor league pitching and the 40 man roster crunch.

These pitchers in the minors should, could, may not get second-half look with Rangers

Kolby Allard joined Triple A Nashville a week ago, two days after he was traded to the Texas Rangers by the Atlanta Braves.
He was in Gwinnett, Ga., home of the Braves' Triple A team, and Nashville was home, so he packed up his car and headed northwest. Allard made his debut in the Rangers organization Saturday, tossing five scoreless innings.

Allard is set for his Rangers debut Friday, and he was scheduled to join the club Thursday in Milwaukee on an off day before the three-game series against the Brewers.

That's nine busy days for the left-hander, who turns 22 on Tuesday. A former first-round pick, Allard anticipated that he would get a chance to pitch for the Rangers, though maybe not this quickly.

But he is a piece of the Rangers' plan for the rest of the season. They need to see young starting pitchers, as they are doing with Ariel Jurado and Pedro Payano, and Allard won't be the last pitcher called up from the minors to get a crack at MLB hitters.

PROBABLE
Joe Palumbo: He might have beaten Allard to the Rangers' rotation this month if not for an injured left ankle that took him off the mound last month. The lefty is throwing again for Nashville, though he tossed only 2 2/3 innings Sunday in his first appearance off the injured list. Manager Chris Woodward didn't guarantee anything, but strongly suggested Palumbo, who has been with the Rangers a few times this season, will be called up as soon as his arm strength is built up again.

Brock Burke: Another left-hander on the 40-man roster, Burke was recently promoted to Nashville from Double A Frisco in what could be a last test before joining the Rangers. Woodward has said that he wants to see Burke, who impressed in spring training but has been slowed by a blister and shoulder fatigue. The prize of the Jurickson Profar trade, Burke could be making his MLB debut this season.
Joe Barlow: He isn't a starter, but is considered a future long-term bullpen piece along with Emmanuel Clase and Demarcus Evans. Barlow was moved to Nashville last month, a move that seemed like a precursor to a big-league promotion. Clase beat him the Rangers as part of the roster overall last week, but Barlow should be coming up before season's end. He is one of several prospects who must be added to the 40-man roster by mid-November to avoid exposure to the Rule 5 draft. It makes sense to do it sooner rather than later.
QUESTIONABLE
Yohander Mendez: Yes, Mendez is still in the organization and still has a minor-league option. He injured his elbow during spring training and just this week was able to pitch two innings for Frisco. Mendez has been given multiple opportunities by the Rangers, so they might know what they're getting. He's also on the 60-day injured list, and getting him on the 40-man roster could present a problem. If he is promoted, don't expect him before rosters expand Sept. 1.
Luke Farrell: Is there any doubt Farrell would have already pitched for the Rangers this season if not for a line drive to the jaw in spring training? The right-hander has MLB experience, which is more than Payano or Palumbo could say at the start of the season. Farrell has slowly worked his way back and has joined Mendez at Frisco on rehab assignment. Farrell faces the same obstacle, the 40-man crunch, but the Rangers don't know nearly as much about him as Mendez.

Demarcus Evans: The third member of the next wave of relievers, along with Clase and Barlow, Evans has been nearly as effective at Frisco as he was at High A Down East to start the season. He just worked on consecutive days for the first time this season. Evans doesn't have the same velocity as Clase and Barlow, though his is nothing to sneeze at, but his over-the-top curveball might be a better secondary pitch than the other two offer. His command just isn't quite as sharp. Like Barlow, Evans needs a spot on the 40-man roster. This one could go either way.
DOUBTFUL
Jonathan Hernandez: The clock is ticking on Hernandez, who joined the 40-man roster after the 2017 season but has struggled the past 1 1/2 seasons at Frisco. This righty throws hard, but at times hasn't hit the strike zone. He has shown flashes of the promise that made him a top-10 prospect, but the Rangers have also recently experimented with him as a multi-inning reliever. He hasn't been good enough to deserve a big-league promotion.
Tyler Phillips: The reigning Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Year picked up where he left off, showing dominating form at Down East. But Double A has been a challenge for Phillips, a control artist who is being forced to make adjustments against a more advanced batch of hitters. He did that over seven innings Wednesday night. Phillips is a candidate to be added to the 40-man roster before to avoid Rule 5 exposure. It just might not happen during the season.

Update on YoMen, from Scott Lucas email.

RP Yohander Mendez: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0.00 ERA
Yohander Mendez threw a season-high three innings on just 36 pitches. I don't know what Texas intends for him down the stretch. To my mind, he's pitching for a continued role in the organization, not a specific use. With the additional velocity shown lately, relief is a more valid proposition than I would have thought previously.
TheAngelFlight
What's up with your daily posting of walls of copyrighted material, sometimes paywall material, and not even providing a link?

You want these folks to keep covering and writing about the Rangers, right?
KT 90
AG
What's up with posting Ranger info on a dedicated Ranger thread?

I usually post the link, but sometimes forget. It's pretty obvious where they all come from. If the direct link isn't there, there is usally a link within the article and/or the author is named.

I have zero paid accounts with the articles I post, all are readily available online. I post a few here to try to kickstart a little discussion.
KT 90
AG
the majority come from either mlb.com or mlbtraderumors, there are no subscriptions to either of those even if you wanted to.

KT 90
AG
Minor with a solid 8 innings, LeClerc with the 123 9th inning to close it out. 1-0 Ranger win

hawk1689
AG
You do realize I didn't make any "if" statements. Everything I described...they actually did.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I like that 19 of 25 games in September are against division opponents. Better than the past few years.
AggieDPT
AG
We open the new ballpark on a Tuesday?!? Should've been the first series of the season
toucan82
that's my birthday

That's pretty cool
wbt5845
AG
AggieDPT said:

We open the new ballpark on a Tuesday?!? Should've been the first series of the season
They specifically are giving as much time as possible after the "shake down" pre season games to finish fixing whatever they find isn't working right. This is normal with new stadiums.
MooreTrucker
AG
wbt5845 said:

AggieDPT said:

They specifically are giving as much time as possible after the "shake down" pre season games to finish fixing whatever they find isn't working right. This is normal with new stadiums.
Yeah, I'm thinking "soft open".
Baby Billy
AG
Well this is fun. 17-1 in the 6th inning
AgsWin2011
AG
JD has this team rockin!
bigcat22
AG
jkag89
This article was linked to one about Derrick Cole posted on the Astros Season Thread. I thought you guys might enjoy it -

Lance Lynn Has Gone Mainstream
By Michael Baumann
Quote:

It's no longer possible to overlook the reliable workhorse, who's become a Cy Youngquality pitcher, and the best starter in the American League

bigcat22
AG
Heismenberg said:

JD has this team rockin!

While this is a very frustrating year, and honestly what rebuilding process isn't, this year kinda shows how good JD can be. We all knew this year was going to be rough yet JD "hit" on a lot of guys no one cared about and most thought were just signed to fill roster spots. Lynn, Santana, Pence, Minor to some extent, were all meh signings yet look at the years they are having. Hasn't been that dissimilar to what he did with Lofton and Gagne. The farm system has also quietly been rising in the ranks.

Back in March did anyone think the Rangers would put together a great half of baseball and be in the realm of contention?
toucan82
**** Canada
MSFC Aggie
AG
Boy.....the offense is putrid
KT 90
AG
Early start today

KT 90
AG
Some Woodward comments on Odor. https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rougned-odor-enjoys-blue-jays-fan-reaction

Quote:

"I love Rougie," Woodward said. "In Seattle, when he first got called up, our team didn't like him. He came up, played with his hair on fire, turned double plays throwing them low, running, breaking up double plays, chest out, open shirt and our guys are like, 'Who does this guy think he is?'"

"I asked our team in Seattle, 'Why do you not like this kid?'" Woodward said. "They said he's too this or too that, so I said, 'Just answer me a few questions. Does he play hard? 100 percent. He plays harder than anyone, he plays really hard. Does he play to win? Clearly. Does he look like he's a good teammate? Does he care about his team?' Adrian Beltre, who I respect deeply, told me he's a really good teammate, cares about his team.

"So you only hate him because he's good? Because he beats us, he hits homers off us, he's getting under our skin? I want guys like that on our team, because I want to do that to the opposing team."
When Odor became a part of Woodward's roster, he shared with the young infielder just how much he enjoyed his personality and wanted him to embrace it.

"When I got the job here, I told him, 'You don't change a bit,'" the Texas skipper said. "'Don't change anything about what you do, how you play, your bravado. We need that. Not everybody can be that.' He has it naturally. He feels like he has to play that way so he gives us a little bit of an edge. I don't want a bunch of robots. I want them to be who they are. That's who Rougie is."

bigcat22
AG
Thought this was an interesting comment by Evan Grant yesterday

DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
too busy to watch the game or even follow it much today, but did just pull it up (winning 1-0 right now) to see that Allard is doing good again today, at least through 3 innings.

PITCHERS IP H ER BB SO ERA

K. Allard 3.0 1 0 2 2 2.45
MSFC Aggie
AG
KT 90 said:

Some Woodward comments on Odor. https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rougned-odor-enjoys-blue-jays-fan-reaction

Quote:

"I love Rougie," Woodward said. "In Seattle, when he first got called up, our team didn't like him. He came up, played with his hair on fire, turned double plays throwing them low, running, breaking up double plays, chest out, open shirt and our guys are like, 'Who does this guy think he is?'"

"I asked our team in Seattle, 'Why do you not like this kid?'" Woodward said. "They said he's too this or too that, so I said, 'Just answer me a few questions. Does he play hard? 100 percent. He plays harder than anyone, he plays really hard. Does he play to win? Clearly. Does he look like he's a good teammate? Does he care about his team?' Adrian Beltre, who I respect deeply, told me he's a really good teammate, cares about his team.

"So you only hate him because he's good? Because he beats us, he hits homers off us, he's getting under our skin? I want guys like that on our team, because I want to do that to the opposing team."
When Odor became a part of Woodward's roster, he shared with the young infielder just how much he enjoyed his personality and wanted him to embrace it.

"When I got the job here, I told him, 'You don't change a bit,'" the Texas skipper said. "'Don't change anything about what you do, how you play, your bravado. We need that. Not everybody can be that.' He has it naturally. He feels like he has to play that way so he gives us a little bit of an edge. I don't want a bunch of robots. I want them to be who they are. That's who Rougie is."

K. He's a great teammate. Wonder what Woody thinks about his production?
Old Tom Morris
HIs production has been an OPS of nearly .900 since July 1. I'd say he thinks it's pretty good right now. The key with Rougie is figuring out how not to piss away April and May every year. He starts so poorly for such an extended period that no one pays attention by midseason even though he's usually playing well by then, but the story is already written. He's got to change that.
wbt5845
AG
Santana with a clutch double to drive in 2. 3-0 Rangers in 4th.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I am so tired of all the fawning for Odor on this site.

What the hell does Beltre know? When it comes to insider information about the clubhouse and team... Grape is my "Go-To" guy.
The way you talk to and about other people on this site is also tiresome.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

That is just not true.

I have it on good authority that Woody has only said that because JD's ineptness has signed Odor to an untradeable contract that no other Team, GM, or manager would even consider. Nobody would take Odor even if the Rangers paid his full salary.

I also have been told, the ONLY reason Odor plays, is because the FO demands he reamain in the lineup, to the detriment of the team.

I am so tired of all the fawning for Odor on this site.

What the hell does Beltre know? When it comes to insider information about the clubhouse and team... Grape is my "Go-To" guy.
You always throw this odor **** in my face, but it looks like I was right about 2 things that I declared very early into the season.

1) Santana is way better than odor

2) odor isn't very good

Most ranger fans outside of this site would probably agree with me.
TXAggie2011
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

HIs production has been an OPS of nearly .900 since July 1. I'd say he thinks it's pretty good right now. The key with Rougie is figuring out how not to piss away April and May every year.
And not slide back down in August and piss away September.

Its amazing how consistently his month-to-month production looks like a bell curve.
Proposition Joe
I'm really not sure why after watching sports for more than a few years that anyone would read anything into what any manager (or teammate) says positively about another player publicly.

Managers don't trash their players in the media. Players don't trash their teammates in the media. It's all coach/player-speak.

Only when you hear something negative should your ears perk up with realization that there may be something significant there.

Old Tom Morris
Right. There have historically been guys that start slow most years, but year after year, Rougie's consistency across each month (good or bad) is amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

He's put too many good months together to think it's just a fluke and he doesn't have the talent to compete at a high level. But they've got to figure out something on how to stretch June to mid-August across 6 molnths.
KT 90
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

HIs production has been an OPS of nearly .900 since July 1. I'd say he thinks it's pretty good right now. The key with Rougie is figuring out how not to piss away April and May every year. He starts so poorly for such an extended period that no one pays attention by midseason even though he's usually playing well by then, but the story is already written. He's got to change that.

This is definitely the issue. There is some talent in there, but somehow needs to find a way even out some of his early season lows. Whatever he is doing during Spring Training (and maybe prior to ST), maybe need to tweak it. More live pitches maybe, more time off in the off season, different off season routine, something...

TXAggie2011
AG
I always think he needs to try something different in spring training---which may be true, nevertheless---but then he goes out and stinks up the last month of the season and I question my original thoughts about spring practice.
First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.