***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,900,430 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our bullpen may need counseling
AggiEE
I don't understand pulling Miley...just let him get to 100 pitches then pull him

Game was over in the first inning, no need to waste bullpen arms.

Miley has to be livid at his performance lately...he had a great season up until his last start...not good going into free agency
Mr President Elect
AG
AggiEE said:

I don't understand pulling Miley...just let him get to 100 pitches then pull him

Miley has to be livid at his performance lately...he had a great season up until his last start...not good going into free agency

Umm... we literally had the same scenario his last start and we won
Mr.Ackar07
The only good thing about going to tonight's game was getting tickets without paying the ridiculous online fees for what should be Verlander's 3rd start from now (Sept 22) where there's a good chance he'll reach 3,000 strike outs. Plus potentially having a ticket stub for that game too!
AggiEE
willjohnathan said:

AggiEE said:

Well clearly that strat didn't work this time..
agdaddy04
AG
AggiEE said:

willjohnathan said:

AggiEE said:

Do you make all decisions knowing the outcome after the fact?
AggiEE
agdaddy04 said:

AggiEE said:

willjohnathan said:

AggiEE said:

Do you make all decisions knowing the outcome after the fact?

No, but in both situations Miley could settle down and spare the bullpen.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if a pitcher gives up 5 runs recording 0 outs and 7 runs with only recording 1 out in either situation he ain't settling down.
dshedd41
S
Just saw that urquidy is is pitching tonight. Oh boy....
Gig’em Aggies!
titanmaster_race
Man, Biagini really really stinks.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Can't be worse than Miley??
Mathguy64
AG
Who do you feel better about right now? Urkeeding or MIley?

I have to say Urkeeding.
ontheedge
When they're hitting against the shift, stop shifting.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if a pitcher gives up 5 runs recording 0 outs and 7 runs with only recording 1 out in either situation he ain't settling down.

Maybe not, main point isn't to prevent runs at that point but get some outs.

A lot of those singles were bad luck and could have been outs.
Ag_07
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Exactly. So how is leaving a guy in there who can't get outs and giving up runs a good idea? He wasn't doing wither of those things.

The right move was to yank Miley and throw your spares which is what Hinch did.

Honestly losing by 1 run after pitching Harris, Rondon, and Osuna for full workloads would have been worse.
SW-14
AG
Anybody else find it odd that Mengden picked up a save for last night's blowout?
Farmer1906
AG
Miley's ERA jumped from 3.06 to 3.74. He's throwna grand total of 59 pitches in his last 2 starts.
Farmer1906
AG
SW-14 said:

Anybody else find it odd that Mengden picked up a save for last night's blowout?

Quote:

[ol]
  • He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
  • He is not the winning pitcher;
  • He is credited with at least of an inning pitched; and
  • He satisfies one of the following conditions:
    [ol]
  • He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
  • He enters the game with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
  • He pitches for at least three innings.
  • [/ol][/ol]

Just another reason why it is a pointless stat.
    Bones08
    AG
    The 3-inning save rule in effect.

The biggest blowout in MLB modern history (Rangers over Orioles 30-3 in 2007) features a save.
    SW-14
    AG
    Yeah, that does seem kind of silly. To get a save, you would think the game would at least have to be within 5 runs. Hell, Tyler White could have "saved" that game.
    dshedd41
    S
    Gig’em Aggies!
    Agnzona
    Farmer1906 said:

Miley's ERA jumped from 3.06 to 3.74. He's throwna grand total of 59 pitches in his last 2 starts.

If we need anyone to eat innings in another blowout loss he should be available and called on.
    "Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
    redline248
    AG
    Farmer1906 said:

Teddy Perkins
    AG
    Does Justice read this thread?

Here's why Bregman should be AL MVP

Quote:

"All these games matter to all these guys," Hinch said. "It's not an exhibition game. I have great respect for the guys who are doing it on teams not in contention. You shouldn't punish Mike Trout. At the same time, I think it's a notch in the favor of guys that are doing it with playoff pressure or playoff-chase pressure."
    n_touch
    Well its better than in in the 240''s over his last two

Harry Dunne
    AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

A lot of those singles were bad luck and could have been outs.
    I'm making fun of myself as much as anyone when I write this, but one of the most entertaining elements of this thread is watching people double down on awful takes because they are too stubborn to see they are wrong and too proud to just let it go.
    Boiling Denim
    Morning radio pointed out Miley has a career history of noodle arm late in the season past a certain amount of innings. This is par for the course

It's likely he can't be relied upon moving forward unless they shut him down till playoffs and roll the dice which is doubtful.

Mr.Ackar07
    Did anyone else receive an Astros email with the opportunity to claim a tee time to play at Minute Maid in November? A link to register will go out on Monday.

Mr President Elect
    AG
    Boiling Denim said:

Morning radio pointed out Miley has a career history of noodle arm late in the season past a certain amount of innings. This is par for the course

It's likely he can't be relied upon moving forward unless they shut him down till playoffs and roll the dice which is doubtful.

Not sure how we do that when we already have one TBD in our rotation; although it is almost a given that TBD will pitch better than Miley at this point. Hopefully he is just tipping his pitches and it is something that can be corrected. Really need someone to step up, Peacock maybe (once he returns)???
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Harry Dunne said:

I'm making fun of myself as much as anyone when I write this, but one of the most entertaining elements of this thread is watching people double down on awful takes because they are too stubborn to see they are wrong and too proud to just let it go.
    To be fair, we could have really used him last night... out of the pen.
    Teddy Perkins
    AG
    Miley didn't think he was tipping pitches after looking at the video from last night based on the A's hitter's swings. He also thinks he was throwing the cutter well, they just came in with a game plan to stay inside his cutter and hitting it the other way.

Quote:

"I think the other team has a really good approach against me right now and I'm not making the adjustment," Miley said. "Again I felt like, it's crazy, I located pitches pretty well for the nine batters I was in there. I got singled to death tonight. But at the same time, I've got to make better pitches."

As for Peacock, he won't be coming back in a starter role. If he returns before the end of the regular season, it will be with only days to spare. He's too important for the playoffs against righties.
    Farmer1906
    AG
    Yordan Alvarez Rookie GOAT Update

Rookie Season
    Min 300 PA

wRC+

1. Pete Browning - 189 (In 1882 for the Louisville Eclipse)
    2. Yordan Alvarez - 179
    3. Shoeless Joe Jackson - 178
    Ag_07
    AG
    Teddy Perkins said:

He's too important for the playoffs against righties.

He is?
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Teddy Perkins said:

Miley didn't think he was tipping pitches after looking at the video from last night based on the A's hitter's swings. He also thinks he was throwing the cutter well, they just came in with a game plan to stay inside his cutter and hitting it the other way.

I thought his cutter looked pretty good as well, at least early on. I think he got a little dejected by the time he got to the last few hitters and started flattening out. It deffinietly looked like they were just sitting on the cutter though and had a good approach to it.

I hope Miley turns it around, but if not then who do we have. I know Peacock is pretty much relegated to the pen now, but that was before Miley's implosion. We have about four other unknowns (well we kind of know, but we are rejecting that for now): Urquidy, Valdez, Perez, Sneed. If Miley doesn't turn it around, I really don't see any of those guys stepping with less than three weeks left, then I could see Peacock get a short leash start for a game 4, Maybe also just turn it back over to JV on short rest as well.

Edit: Just looked up Peacocks progress, and yeah no way he gets back in time to get a playoff start.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 1022 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.