***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,909,343 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kemp likely gets a reprieve until July 31st --- then he's traded or DFA'd
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Kemp likely gets a reprieve until July 31st --- then he's traded or DFA'd

Question...If he gets DFAd On July 30 do we still get 7 days to trade him or just the 1 since the trade deadline is the 31st?
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Tyler White was the 40th spot. Him being DFA'd not only made room on the 25 man roster for Ur Keeding but also created a spot on the 40 man roster for Correa

Makes sense, thanks.

I could see Straw going down for Diaz, then several of the pitchers juggling back and forth once Correa returns, given the schedule. That's just the situation and not a reflection of Straw. Don't know how it would change, though, if James is hurt.

The one thing apparent is that Luhnow needs to package a couple of active players in any trade this month. Kemp, Rondon, Armenteros, whoever has value and is deemed expendable. Gotta make room somehow.
W
AG
I've wondered about that too.

could the Astros keep him under control until August 6th or 7th
Ag_07
AG
The way I understand it is there are no trades of any kind after July 31.
Phrasing
AG
Ag_07 said:

Gonna be sick

Springer - RF
Altuve- 2B
Bregman - 3B
Brantley - LF
Alvarez - DH
Correa - SS
Yuli - 1B
Reddick - RF
Chrinios - C
KC_Ag14
AG
Ag_07 said:

The way I understand it is there are no trades of any kind after July 31.
Teams can still trade for players that were put on & cleared waivers after July 31st (ie. Verlander). Waiver deadline is August 31st.
bearkatag15
AG

Thanks for the help Armenteros.
Ag_07
AG
Not anymore. Now there's only 1 deadline

Per MLB rules
Quote:

As of 2019, the July 31 Trade Deadline is the only trade deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades will no longer be permitted after that date. With regards to newly acquired players, the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline remains in effect.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Thanks for the help Armenteros.
He'll be back in September.
KC_Ag14
AG
Interesting! Hadn't heard of that change. Glad we got JV when we did lol
AgDoc03
AG
There's something about you can still trade for someone in the minors or not a 40 man roster or something.

Basically if we had a regular or back up get hurt and nothing MLB ready in the farm, we could trade for another prospect.

I forget the exact rules but remember them discussing it one game when they were breaking down the new system
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tjack16
AG
Armenteros was slated to start Saturday in STL. Who goes that night now?
Teddy Perkins
AG
tjholley16 said:

Cole on regular rest.
Farmer1906
AG
AgDoc03 said:

There's something about you can still trade for someone in the minors or not a 40 man roster or something.

Basically if we had a regular or back up get hurt and nothing MLB ready in the farm, we could trade for another prospect.

I forget the exact rules but remember them discussing it one game when they were breaking down the new system

The odds of that happening sound pretty improbable.
Ag_07
AG
Interesting tidbit on MadBum

Quote:

There's also an incentive for him to be traded, as it would make him ineligible to receive a qualifying offer. The Draft-pick compensation tied to those who reject a qualifying offer has seemingly limited the market for some players in recent years, including left-hander Dallas Keuchel this past offseason.

AgDoc03
AG
I don't disagree, they were just discussing the only roster moves possible after July 31st involving another team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tjack16
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

tjholley16 said:

Cole on regular rest.

Oh okay. He was slated for the Sunday finale so I guess moving him up is pretty easy
Farmer1906
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
Gap
AG
I think Straw goes to AAA when Correa is activated and Kemp remains in the utility man spot he is in now while Straw plays everyday in AAA. Then we see Straw again with September 1 call ups unless he is needed before then because of injury.
titanmaster_race
Gap said:

I think Straw goes to AAA when Correa is activated and Kemp remains in the utility man spot he is in now while Straw plays everyday in AAA. Then we see Straw again with September 1 call ups unless he is needed before then because of injury.

I disagree. What role has Kemp played that Straw hasn't as well? And straw is out performing Kemp in just about every way.
W
AG
the A's get the "A" lineup tonight
rosco511
AG
I think Kemp is out of options so you would risk letting him go without getting anything in return.
bearkatag15
AG

Quote:

4-0 with a 1.46 ERA in eight career starts against Houston.
Last time Bailey faced Houston was 2012. I imagine the ERA goes up significantly after tonight.
Phrasing
AG
Joshua Rojas - RR Express

What's the story on this guy? Looking at his stats he has an OPS over 1000 right now. Is he just blocked with all the infielders we have?
bullard21k
AG
Gap said:

Straw is the better player right now and much better suited for a playoff roster spot. However I agree with you and think moving straw down right now is the correct call.

I know I sound like a broken record but I really do feel that if kemp got consistent playing time everyday and was given 450+ ABs in a season the guy would hit in the 260-275 range and have good OBP numbers. His problem this year is he just isn't drawing the amount of walks he should and that's vital to his production especially hitting 9 in our lineup.

Unlike white I very rarely see a Kemp AB and think this guy doesn't belong or MLB pitching is just blowing him away. He usually puts together good ABs and puts the ball in play but his numbers just haven't reflected that this year.

If we release him somebody is going to pick him up immediately imo (somebody like Oakland)

Ag_07
AG
rosco511 said:

I think Kemp is out of options so you would risk letting him go without getting anything in return.

We'll have 7 days to trade him when we're gonna be making a trade anyways.

Besides who cares. He's dead weight and Straw is a better player.
Farmer1906
AG
Phrasing said:

What's the story on this guy? Looking at his stats he has an OPS over 1000 right now. Is he just blocked with all the infielders we have?
Kid out of Hawaii we drafted very late. Super utility type if I remember correctly.
bearkatag15
AG
Phrasing said:

I think he is a prime candidate to be included in a deal this deadline.
Mathguy64
AG
I know it's going to happen, but I hate to see Kemp go. Who will take over the job of lifting George after a Springer Dinger?
ontheedge
Kemp not going anywhere.
The Milkman
AG
Some folks will be going somewhere. Kemp one of the more likely that are on the current roster
bearkatag15
AG
ontheedge said:

Kemp ain't going anywhere.

You've been hanging on to this sentiment for awhile. Kudos.
Prosperdick
AG
Nobody said Kempin' was easy....
First Page Last Page
Page 649 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.