***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,890,111 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

And really looking at the long term big picture...

I don't see how Tucker fits into this regular OF without one of Brantley, Springer, or Reddick gone.

One of those four has to go one way or the other

They're all FA after next year. Jake too. More than likely 2 will he gone, maybe all 3.

You have 3 OF spots & DH. Between Reddick, Springer, Brantley, Alvarez, & Tucker you rotate.

Guys like Jake, Kemp don't need to be taking ABs. You have Diaz for back up in the IF. White or Straw as well.
Deluxe
AG
Quote:

You have 3 OF spots & DH. Between Reddick, Springer, Brantley, Alvarez, & Tucker you rotate.
Agreed. And surely Reddick can play an adequate enough first base to timeshare with Yuli. Not saying I'd want to risk Reddick at first base in the biggest games of the year, but I'm sure he could be serviceable 1 out of every 4-5 games over the full 162.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-josh-reddick-working-at-first-base/
sts7049
AG
if reddick can play some first i think that spells the end for yuli. that eases up the logjam in the outfield
Farmer1906
AG
Oooo I like that.

Edit: I don't like it as much because that article is from MARCH.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not sure they see Reddick at 1B as a viable option.

He worked out at 1B during ST but he has one AB at 1B this year.

I would think with the injuries on the IF and lack of production from 1B that if he was able to play there he would be.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. It's clearly not our top choice to have Reddick at first and we haven't really had a need so far this year. We've been committed to getting Yuli/White their sample size ABs and one of them usually mans the bag.

But with Yuli/White's struggles and the OF logjam once you mix in Tucker, I think the calculus changes a little bit. Not to the extent that we'd see Reddick at first everyday, but I think sprinkling him in every few days will become an option soon.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Has t Brantley played a small amount at 1st in his career? If both have the ability I think I'd rather see Brantley at 1st. Reddick is a better fielder in the OF.
bearkatag15
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Has t Brantley played a small amount at 1st in his career? If both have the ability I think I'd rather see Brantley at 1st. Reddick is a better fielder in the OF.
He has started a total of 52 games at 1st in the minors but that was over a two year period in 2007 and 2008.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Deluxe
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

I checked Brantley's career games by position and doesn't look like he's logged any games at 1B (edit: in the major leagues). All things equal I agree that he'd be the preference because Reddick is better in the OF. But at this point, I think we only have evidence that the Astros have contemplated Reddick at first.
Farmer1906
AG
Brantley is an all star level player. I don't think you ask him to switch positions at this point in his career.
Ag_07
AG
Here is what I think is odd. They've played Stassi and Diaz at 1B and they don't have any MLB experience there.

I don't see how the staff can be comfortable with them there but not one of Reddick, Brantley, or Alvarez.

And IIRC Brantley has stated that he's open and willing to play 1B.
Deluxe
AG
Quote:

And IIRC Brantley has stated that he's open and willing to play 1B.
Correct....

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Michael-Brantley-ready-for-new-start-with-13478859.php

Quote:

"I'm open to doing anything," Brantley said. "It doesn't matter where I hit in the lineup, whatever is best for the team that day to win that game. I think it's really important that you stay flexible. I feel like I can handle (first base) if needed, if not then whatever is asked of me is what I'm going to do."
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Brantley is an all star level player. I don't think you ask him to switch positions at this point in his career.
Craig Biggio. Twice.

And countless aging outfielders who switched to first late in their careers. Yaz & Willie Stargell come to mind. There are many others.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
He was 37 and we signed an MVP 2nd baseman. This is a little different.
bearkatag15
AG
Tampa Rays to become two city team w Montreal

Say hello to the Tampa Bay/Montreal Rays
Bulldog73
AG
So weird. Seems like a ticketing nightmare.
Farmer1906
AG
I like that idea. It creates unity between 2 random cities. It also reduces supply so it may drive up some demand.
Buck Compton
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Tampa Rays to become two city team w Montreal

Say hello to the Tampa Bay/Montreal Rays
https://tenor.com/view/office-space-ajau-naidu-samir-nagheenanajar-its-horrible-bad-idea-gif-4754628
spadilly
S
Bulldog73 said:

Especially for playoff games. Where they play? Who gets tickets? Ect...
Goodness.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Imagine the blackout rules.
Frok
AG
A dual city team could work if they were somewhat near each other. Tampa and Montreal are 1500 miles apart. Are the Rays unable to break their lease at Tropicana so this is their way of moving?
MAROON
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Imagine the blackout rules.
imagine being a player. Where does your family live? You will now be away from your home for 3/4 of the season
Bobcat-Ag
spadilly said:

Bulldog73 said:

Especially for playoff games. Where they play? Who gets tickets? Ect...
Goodness.
They won't make the playoffs!
Ag_07
AG
The problem in TB is that no one gives a shlt about baseball.

How does this solve that?
JDUB08AG
AG
wangus12
AG
What should I do? My clinic just hired a new doc and he got our 8 person team suite tickets to the Rangers game against the White Sox on Saturday. My wife says I should pick up a Rangers t-shirt to wear to the game. I'm not keen on that idea. I typically only go out to Arlington when the Astros are playing which solves any issues with me wearing Astros gear.
AstroAggie15
AG
Divorce seems like your only option
Ag_07
AG
wangus12 said:

What should I do?

Based on this...

Quote:

My wife says I should pick up a Rangers t-shirt to wear to the game.

I'd say file divorce papers.
bearkatag15
AG
wangus12 said:

What should I do? My clinic just hired a new doc and he got our 8 person team suite tickets to the Rangers game against the White Sox on Saturday. My wife says I should pick up a Rangers t-shirt to wear to the game. I'm not keen on that idea. I typically only go out to Arlington when the Astros are playing which solves any issues with me wearing Astros gear.
Wear a white or neutral colored shirt with a non-sport logo'd hat (or no hat at all). Just make sure you wear your Astros underoos and socks
MosesHallRAB04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

wangus12 said:

Wear a white or neutral colored shirt with a non-sport logo'd hat (or no hat at all). Just make sure you wear your Astros underoos and socks

You forgot to vocally and obnoxiously root for the white sox
redline248
AG
Wear Aggie gear and enjoy baseball in the suite. Why the F would you consider buying ranger gear? Spend that money on booze
bearkatag15
AG

Delay #4 this week is on its way...
redline248
AG
Let's hope it's not rain that scares our bats
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

Let's hope it's not rain that scares our bats
Right now, pitched baseballs scare our bats.
First Page Last Page
Page 424 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.