***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,167 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

redline248 said:

Let's hope it's not rain that scares our bats
Right now, pitched baseballs scare our bats.
...and it rained all 3 games in Cincy. Hoping to break that trend!
bearkatag15
AG

Yankees today

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
CFTXAG10
AG
WES2006AG
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

bearkatag15 said:

wangus12 said:

What should I do? My clinic just hired a new doc and he got our 8 person team suite tickets to the Rangers game against the White Sox on Saturday. My wife says I should pick up a Rangers t-shirt to wear to the game. I'm not keen on that idea. I typically only go out to Arlington when the Astros are playing which solves any issues with me wearing Astros gear.
Wear a white or neutral colored shirt with a non-sport logo'd hat (or no hat at all). Just make sure you wear your Astros underoos and socks

You forgot to vocally and obnoxiously root for the white sox

I'd pick up a Frank Thomas jersey because **** the rangers
bearkatag15
AG
Last 9 appearances for Chad Green have been pretty fantastic:

9 G, 4 GS, 11.1 IP, 11H, 2ER, 1BB, 19SO, 0HR 1.59ERA
MAROON
AG
WES2006AG said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

bearkatag15 said:

wangus12 said:

What should I do? My clinic just hired a new doc and he got our 8 person team suite tickets to the Rangers game against the White Sox on Saturday. My wife says I should pick up a Rangers t-shirt to wear to the game. I'm not keen on that idea. I typically only go out to Arlington when the Astros are playing which solves any issues with me wearing Astros gear.
Wear a white or neutral colored shirt with a non-sport logo'd hat (or no hat at all). Just make sure you wear your Astros underoos and socks

You forgot to vocally and obnoxiously root for the white sox

I'd pick up a Frank Thomas jersey because **** the rangers
you have to go with the White Sox shorts uniform

bearkatag15
AG
Judge will be back tomorrow:

AgFan1999
AG
he'll re-injure himself in a week.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

He was 37 and we signed an MVP 2nd baseman. This is a little different.
You said that you don't ask an all-star level player to switch positions at this point in his career. Biggio went from C to 2b to OF and back to 2b. My point was that if Biggio isn't too good to switch when the team needs him to then Brantley isn't either.
Agnzona
Why the insistence that Alvarez is an outfielder? I am assuming he has played 1st base with his size at many levels. Our future need is at 1st base not outfield. What am I missing here?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
When Correa gets back it limits where yuli can play with Bregman sliding back over to third. I think the thing is he can already play 1st, let's teach him how to play left field so we can be flexible with our outfield.
TREX01
Alvarez has been primarily an outfielder to this point in his career. He's only 21 so it's not like there have been a lot of stops along the way.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

You said that you don't ask an all-star level player to switch positions at this point in his career. Biggio went from C to 2b to OF and back to 2b. My point was that if Biggio isn't too good to switch when the team needs him to then Brantley isn't either.
A midseason move for a guy in his prime to let 2 prospects play more vs an offseason move for player 5 years past his prime in order to make room for an MVP level player.

You do see the difference.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

A midseason move for a guy in his prime to let 2 prospects play more vs an offseason move for player 5 years past his prime in order to make room for an MVP level player.

Silly for you to keep doubling down. There are dozens of other OF to 1b examples more similar to Brantley made by similar or better players - it's not totally uncommon. He's also not in his prime, he's 32 and in the back third of his career and at this point is no longer a good outfielder.

Your point was that you don't ask a guy like Brantley to move and my point is that plenty before him and like him have. Plus he already volunteered!
wangus12
AG
AgFan1999 said:

he'll re-injure himself in a week.

Not before he strikes out a couple times
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

so stupid for you to keep doubling down. There are dozens of other OF to 1b examples more similar to Brantley made by similar or better players - it's not totally uncommon. He's also not in his prime, he's 32 and in the back third of his career and at this point is no longer a good outfielder.

Plus Brantley already volunteered!
I highly doubt he or Reddick move to first to make room for Tucker during this season. Its too much to ask, especially for a guy you're relying on to help lead the offense.

Offseason? sure. It's worth a look. He's not getting any younger.

If anything it'll be Jake on the chopping block to make room for Tucker. He's at 1700 PAs in the bigs and its pretty clear who he is at the plate.
Harry Dunne
Yeah I would agree with that but it's not just to make room for Tucker, it's because we have more than 3 good OF bats and zero at 1b.

If Tucker hits it only adds to the logjam.
bearkatag15
AG

Going to be stuck with White until after the All Star break at least.
Marvin
AG
Ready to get out of June and have our players all back. For the month:

.236 Average
.732 OPS
4.15 ERA
33 HR's surrendered

Batting is around 19th in MLB for the month, while pitching is 11th-ish. Would be worst in homers allowed if not for our ugly cousins just to the north.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Soon.

bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Soon.

I still say Tuesday will be his return. Along with maybe McHugh
Harry Dunne
I assume they will keep George out of CF.

That's when the OF situation gets complicated. You're having to sit Reddick or Alvarez in favor of White or Yuli.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I assume they will keep George out of CF.

That's when the OF situation gets complicated. You're having to sit Reddick or Alvarez in favor of White or Yuli.

Not if you stick one of the OFers at DH. Then it's either Yuli or White at first and the other on the bench.
Harry Dunne
What about your man Brantley?

Brantley, George, Alvarez & Reddick and only 2 corner OF spots + DH.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

What about your man Brantley?

Brantley, George, Alvarez & Reddick and only 2 corner OF spots + DH.

I just realized you said keep George OUT of CF. I doubt they will when it comes down to games that matter.

Brantley in LF or DH
George in CF
Reddick in RF
Alvarez in LF or DH

Deluxe
AG
It seems like we need to start auditioning Tucker now. Like Alvarez when he was called up, Tucker doesn't have anything else to prove at AAA. He's mastered it. Get him ABs on big club everyday between now and the deadline. If he performs, deal Reddick. If he doesn't, Reddick stays in RF. Musical chairs problem solved.
Harry Dunne
I would also like to see Tucker up, but highly doubt they would do Reddick like that. Also read above, there are already not enough OF ABs to go around.
Deluxe
AG
Interesting comment from Hinch in Chandler Rome's Astros mailbag when asked about the possibility of Alvarez at first base...

Quote:

"We haven't felt comfortable with all the things that he's done in the minor leagues at first base," Hinch said. "Also, moving forward, I have a pretty good idea of how this roster is going to get put back together and I don't think first base is going to be a viable option for playing time."
The first part is nothing we didn't already know, but the second part sounds like there's a plan at first base. And I doubt he'd be saying first base isn't a viable option for playing time if that plan was to keep running our two sub-700 OPS guys out there.
MAROON
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I would also like to see Tucker up, but highly doubt they would do Reddick like that. Also read above, there are already not enough OF ABs to go around.
especially since Reddick is one of your best defensive outfielders and Tucker is not that great (judging by last year).
AustinCountyAg
Everyone needs to remember that al the problems/scenarios mentioned above are great problems to have. The Astros are in a good sport right now. Get us one more starter who is top end and get the **** outa the way
Agmaniacmike12
Would you guys trade a package with Beer and one other non-Whitley/Alvarez/Tucker prospect, including White if interest is there, as the headliners for Trey Mancini? He is a great hitter when not being asked to play in the OF almost every day. He'd be a DH/1B with control for the next 3 years.
CSWendt
Trade proposal: Kyle Tucker, JB Bukauskas, and Seth Beer for Max Scherzer contingent upon Washington eating half of Scherzer's salary until it expires at the end of 2021.

If you're the Astros, you make this deal? Nationals?
superaggie73
AG
In a heartbeat!!
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

Harry Dunne said:

especially since Reddick is one of your best defensive outfielders and Tucker is not that great (judging by last year).

Reddick is a pretty average defender.
Aggie8587
AG
Alright Framber, show 'em what you got (and please throw strikes)
First Page Last Page
Page 425 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.