***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,892,582 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did White show good potential in AAA?

Just wondering why the Astros management seem to have such a long leash and hardon for the guy

He's no big puma
bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE said:

Just wondering why the Astros management seem to have such a long leash and hardon for the guy

He's no big puma

JD Martinez ruined Lunhow's ability to cut a hitter. He is scared of that happening again
Harry Dunne
I totally disagree. Who else has he held on to for too long? He has been hesitant to trade prospects, but being high on your own guys when you have a great track record is different than not cutting someone who is dead weight. I can't think of anyone that just plain sucked that he couldn't cut.

Luhnow should have learned a lesson by cutting JD Martinez. Even if all he had ever become was a solid DH, we really could have used him. Every preseason projection had White having a .270 20+ HR 75ish RBI type of season. That's obviously not going to happen, but you don't just cut someone expected to be that good because of 100 bad ABs.
Philip J Fry
AG
AggiEE said:

He's no big puma

Have we forgotten how he did last year? His streak is what is keeping him up here.
Ag_07
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Who else has he held on to for too long?

At one point Fisher was untouchable.
AggiEE
Philip J Fry said:

AggiEE said:

He's no big puma

Have we forgotten how he did last year? His streak is what is keeping him up here.

Haven't forgotten, just think it was a lucky streak is all.. Gattis was the same way and he's gone.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Yeah he could have definitely traded Fisher when he had value, but like I said above, holding onto prospects that are doing well because you are high on them is different than not cutting someone who hasn't panned out. You won't see him keep Fisher on the major league roster if he doesn't show anything.
Harry Dunne
AggiEE said:

Philip J Fry said:

AggiEE said:

He's no big puma

Haven't forgotten, just think it was a lucky streak is all.. Gattis was the same way and he's gone.
Maybe you're right...but if Gattis was getting paid 500k and still under team control until 2023 you can bet your electric engineering balls he'd still be on the roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Harry Dunne said:

According to who?
BurnHard Longer
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Harry Dunne said:

According to who?

Mrs Fisher
Ag_07
AG
According to a lot of media outlets and sources.

Back in the 2016 deadline or so it was well known every trade partner was after Fisher and Luhnow refused to give him up. He completely missed his opportunity to cash in on Fisher.

I'll say that's one knock on Luhnow. He tends to overvalue prospects and ends up hording them. That's how you end up with 4 guys on the 25 man with no options left. Not a big knock since he wins more trades than not but you can't keep everyone and sometimes it makes sense to move guys to get something for them.
Deluxe
AG
I recall reports on Fisher being untouchable too but I thought it was in 2017. That's the year he got off to a fire start at AAA, we called him up and he played pretty well at first... so we traded Aoki and basically gave him LF. Told any trade suitors no thanks. Then he sucked.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah maybe that's when it was.

Either way I remember at one point Fisher was a highly sought after commodity and Luhnow was turning down teams.

Same with Martes. Now he's sucked, had TJ surgery, and serving a PED suspension.
Farmer1906
AG
Martes was THE guy in the minors for a couple years.

I guess Fisher was highly touted, but I don't think he was ever untouchable like Tucker & Whitley are currently.
AggiEE
Harry Dunne said:

AggiEE said:

Philip J Fry said:

AggiEE said:

He's no big puma

Maybe you're right...but if Gattis was getting paid 500k and still under team control until 2023 you can bet your electric engineering balls he'd still be on the roster.

They can pay me 500k to be under team control until 2023.

I think I'd do just as good of a job sitting there looking at Strike 3 as White
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
https://instagr.am/p/ByGrjZCAOq7

That picture of Tyler is prime meme
W
AG
thru 57 games...the Astros games-played leaderboard:

55 - Brantley & Bregman
52 - Yuli
50 - Correa
49 - Reddick
48 - Springer

coming into the season, the hope was to get at least 150 games played by all the star players. Unfortunately, a few of them are probably not going to reach 140 much less 150. And might bottom out as low as 110 or 120
BMX Bandit
I'd say the hope is to have them all healthy and performing in the playoffs to win another world series

BarryProfit
Have we gotten anything on Altuve?
JW_TXAG13
AG
Jake Kaplan posted a really good article detailing Astros pitching on the Athletic. A few notes I thought I'd pass along that i did not realize..

Not only did the 2018 Astros lead the majors in total strikeouts and strikeouts per nine innings, but also their minor-league affiliates all the way from short-season Single A to Triple A led their leagues in the same categories. Their low-A affiliate, the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Midwest League, set a minor-league record for total strikeouts in a season with 1,514, surpassing the 2017 Triple-A Durham Bulls' record by 93.

Of the 53 minor leaguers who struck out at least 10 batters per nine last season (minimum 100 innings), 11 pitched in Houston's system. That includes Hctor Prez and Patrick Sandoval, who were traded in July. Josh James led the minors with 13.5 strikeouts per nine across stints in Double A and Triple A.

The '18 strikeout totals were built without much help from former first-round draft picks. Forrest Whitley, their 2016 first-rounder and top overall prospect, pitched only 26 1/3 innings in 2018 because of his 50-game suspension and lat and oblique injuries. J.B. Bukauskas, their 2017 first-rounder, logged only 59 innings because of a slipped disc in his back he suffered in a spring training car accident.
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

According to a lot of media outlets and sources.

Back in the 2016 deadline or so it was well known every trade partner was after Fisher and Luhnow refused to give him up. He completely missed his opportunity to cash in on Fisher.

I'll say that's one knock on Luhnow. He tends to overvalue prospects and ends up hording them. That's how you end up with 4 guys on the 25 man with no options left. Not a big knock since he wins more trades than not but you can't keep everyone and sometimes it makes sense to move guys to get something for them.

It's a tough line to know when to trade your prospects and when not to. In Luhnows defense, Fisher was at least the fast guy we needed to score on Bregman's single.
Harry Dunne
I can't in good conscience vote Yuli for ASG but he's definitely an all-star of bro-ing. Also, what's in the backpack?

PSully97
AG
La Situacion!!!

Mr.Bond
AG
PSully97 said:

La Situacion!!!

Its sad that I know that this isnt Mike "The Situation"

Not proud of myself
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

PSully97 said:

La Situacion!!!

Its sad that I know that this isnt Mike "The Situation"

Not proud of myself

Should I feel good that I have absolutely no clue who this kid is?
CFTXAG10
AG
PSully97 said:

DJ Yuli G
Ag_07
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

That picture of Tyler is prime meme

That's all I could come up with
dshedd41
S
Article I wrote about the foul ball accident the other night.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated
Gig’em Aggies!
n_touch
I think it is a knee jerk reaction because a child was involved. Yes there needs to be netting, but how much is the question. What if someone that is walking on the concourse and a homerun is hit, the person trying to catch it completely misses? Will nets then be needed in the outfield?

I also believe that safety netting provides a false sense of security, in this situation did the ball just curve right past the netting? Was everyone paying attention as need or was the safety net there so it was not as big of a deal? Not blaming them at all, and safety is important, but there will always be a chance for this to happen unless you net off the field completely or do like Japan and wear helmets in those areas.

We just bought tickets to the Skeeters game and I specifically bought on the fence front row to try for foul balls and for the view. That is some of the fun of the game and netting will ruin that.
dshedd41
S
n_touch said:

I think it is a knee jerk reaction because a child was involved. Yes there needs to be netting, but how much is the question. What if someone that is walking on the concourse and a home run is hit, the person trying to catch it completely misses? Will nets then be needed in the outfield?

I also believe that safety netting provides a false sense of security, in this situation did the ball just curve right past the netting? Was everyone paying attention as need or was the safety net there so it was not as big of a deal? Not blaming them at all, and safety is important, but there will always be a chance for this to happen unless you net off the field completely or do like Japan and wear helmets in those areas.

We just bought tickets to the Skeeters game and I specifically bought on the fence front row to try for foul balls and for the view. That is some of the fun of the game and netting will ruin that.
I don't think netting will be necessary in the outfield because most of the time, people have time to react.

To answer your question is your second statement, yes it got past the netting at 90 MPH according to the Jeff Passan article I read.

I've been in seats with the netting and really haven't noticed any difference at all.

For more information on what the Japanese do:
Here's the clip from youtube:
Gig’em Aggies!
astros4545
AG
The Los Angeles fan that died is completely unfair to include in comparison of these incidents

I immediately disregard the opinions of those who cite it
dshedd41
S
astros4545 said:

The Los Angeles fan that died is completely unfair to include in comparison of these incidents

How is that unfair? Same situation, just different place in the ballpark?
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
dshedd14 said:

astros4545 said:

How is that unfair? Same situation, just different place in the ballpark?

Quote:

Linda Goldbloom, a mother of three and grandmother of seven, died on Aug. 29. The coroner's report states the cause as "acute intracranial hemorrhage due to history of blunt force trauma" and states that the injury occurred when she was struck in the head with a baseball during the Aug. 25 game at Dodger Stadium.
Its the perfect example
Texaggie7nine
n_touch said:

I think it is a knee jerk reaction because a child was involved. Yes there needs to be netting, but how much is the question. What if someone that is walking on the concourse and a homerun is hit, the person trying to catch it completely misses? Will nets then be needed in the outfield?

I would have no problem with age restrictions on lower field seats that are in direct line of foul balls and broken bats. Perhaps 12 and up or something.

I don't think I would ever have a 4 year old in seats that low.
7nine
Frok
AG
Modern America. An accident happens and we immediately overreact and made all sorts of unnecessary changes and requirements.

First Page Last Page
Page 298 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.