***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,736,451 Views | 74451 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by PSully97
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:




That's ****ing cool
And amazing...please back up the Brinks truck Crane, think of all the sell-out ring promotions!!
How to clear max money for the man:

Trade Reddick ($13 million) and replace with Tucker (minimum)
Trade Correa (~$10 million in 2020, ~$20 million in 2021) and replace with Toro (minimum)
Let Smith, Rondon and McHugh walk ($18.3 million off the books) and replace with internal guys/cheap FA vets
So you found the money for 2020. How about 2021 thru 2025?

Can't the same question be asked if it were Correa that you wanted to keep, or another couple of free agent pitchers you wanted to sign?
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:




That's ****ing cool
And amazing...please back up the Brinks truck Crane, think of all the sell-out ring promotions!!
How to clear max money for the man:

Trade Reddick ($13 million) and replace with Tucker (minimum)
Trade Correa (~$10 million in 2020, ~$20 million in 2021) and replace with Toro (minimum)
Let Smith, Rondon and McHugh walk ($18.3 million off the books) and replace with internal guys/cheap FA vets
So you found the money for 2020. How about 2021 thru 2025?

Can't the same question be asked if it were Correa that you wanted to keep, or another couple of free agent pitchers you wanted to sign?
Yes.

I think 2021 would be tight and we'd probably have to pay the tax, but I think Crane would pay it if it means that we have Cole while our window is wide open.

JV/Greinke and their $55 mil combined come off the books after 2021. Too early to assess retention figures for them. We wouldn't have much flexibility but it's not impossible to make the numbers work. But I think there's also the factor of crossing the 2022 bridge when we get to it.

The alternative to having Cole on our team while our window is wide open is not having Cole on our team while our window is wide open. If we can make it work the next couple years and worry about 2022+ when we get there, I'm cool with it.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously just depends on the deal. I'm sure we will get to hear about it for 6 months when he finally signs a deal next March.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right now we have 148 M in contracts for 2020.

We'll have no catcher under contract so we'll have the spend there. 5-10 M

Players without arbitration (~600k ea) Alvarez, Toro, James, Framer. 2.4 M

Arbitration (rough guess):
Diaz - 5 M
Springer - 14 M
Jake - 4 M
Osuna - 9 M
Biagini - 2 M
McCullers - 5 M
Sanchez - 5 M
Peacock - 4 M
Total - 48 M

That puts us at ~206 M before signing anyone, especially starting pitchers.

The 2019 Tax Threshold was 206 M.

I can't see us doing any mega-deals until after 2020, probably after 2021 when JV and Grienke come off the books (68 M)
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where are you getting $148mm? I'm showing:

JV: $33
Altuve: $29
Greinke: $25
Brantley: $16
Bregman: $13
Pressly: $9
Gurriel: $8

That's closer to $130 (assuming Reddick's $13 mil is dealt), but maybe I'm missing something.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok I think see what you're looking at. The $148 million includes Reddick's $13 million. It also assumes we pick up Devo's club option for $3 million (no thanks).

There's also a few arb guys that we could non-tender, trade, etc like Jake and Peacock to save another $8 million. Ideally I'd like to hang on to those guys but if shedding them means finding some extra funds to pay Cole, sign me up for that.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Where are you getting $148mm? I'm showing:

JV: $33
Altuve: $29
Greinke: $25
Brantley: $16
Bregman: $13
Pressly: $9
Gurriel: $8

That's closer to $130 (assuming Reddick's $13 mil is dealt), but maybe I'm missing something.
Spotrac, but maybe they're including something else. Not sure.
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reminder to sign up for the badges and bases 5k on the 28th. Come do it with me and my wife. Theres a party afterwards or something as well as pics on home plate.
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think who we sign and who we let go depends on how the season ends. If we win another WS we can be more careful with future contracts and try to stay good longer. If we don't even make the WS we have to be more aggressive in keeping the most valuable pieces.
"It's what I do...I drink and I know things."
MuckRaker96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

Reminder to sign up for the badges and bases 5k on the 28th. Come do it with me and my wife. Theres a party afterwards or something as well as pics on home plate.
How many months do I have to finish the 5K?
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd almost say it's the opposite.

We win a WS and we all spend $2,000 on tickets, buy $1,000 in apparel, and they sell out even more games next season that gives them a bigger budget to spend more on retaining big money guys like Cole.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agnzona said:

I think who we sign and who we let go depends on how the season ends. If we win another WS we can be more careful with future contracts and try to stay good longer. If we don't even make the WS we have to be more aggressive in keeping the most valuable pieces.
I disagree. I think the choice should be the same regardless. Do what you can do to keep competing at the highest level for the longest time. Find that balance so you can keep making runs 5 years from now.
MuckRaker96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PSully97 said:

astros4545 said:

Deluxe said:

Impressed with Osuna picking up the W today. He looked good.

And when's it time to worry about Cole? Back to back games without picking up a W.


Makes you really appreciate what Jeriome Robertson brought to the table about 12 years ago
I had not thought about ole Jeriome in a long time! Worst 15-game winner in history? Despite having a negative WAR that season they were able to flip him to the Indians for Willy Taveras and Luke Scott.

Trading up in '04 from Jeriome Robertson and Ron Villone to Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte probably rivals Doug Fister and Mike Fiers --> JV and CFM.
I'll raise you with Scott Elarton as the worst 17-game winner of all time in 2000.

17-7
4.81 ERA
1.464 WHIP
192.2 IP
198 H
131 K
84 BB
29 HR allowed
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Verlander was right


Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Verlander was right





Hard to blame a 57.4% increase on bad pitching or weight lifting or these guys are just good.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:


Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:




Hmmm, I was just thinking it's been a while since we complained much about Bregman. Go figure!
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:




Hmmm, I was just thinking it's been a while since we complained much about Bregman. Go figure!
Why would anyone complain? He's the best player in the AL not named after a fish.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:




Hmmm, I was just thinking it's been a while since we complained much about Bregman. Go figure!
Why would anyone complain? He's the best player in the AL not named after a fish.
Uhhhh, do you read this thread? Everyone gets complained about
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:




Hmmm, I was just thinking it's been a while since we complained much about Bregman. Go figure!
Why would anyone complain? He's the best player in the AL not named after a fish.
Uhhhh, do you read this thread? Everyone gets complained about
I know. I like to question people on it with muh facts.
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:




Hmmm, I was just thinking it's been a while since we complained much about Bregman. Go figure!
Why would anyone complain? He's the best player in the AL not named after a fish.

Seriously? When has that ever stopped us??? lol

Maybe back when he hitting .259, as I recall.
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trifecta again! Oh wait, that was POTW for Verlander...
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excited to see Greinke hit tonight!
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hinch said Yordan is off tonight
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Hinch said Yordan is off tonight
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tucker in RF?
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:


He pulled a knife on someone in the clubhouse right? Hard not to see that one coming. Wonder if anyone picks him up.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:

CFTXAG10 said:


He pulled a knife on someone in the clubhouse right? Hard not to see that one coming. Wonder if anyone picks him up.
Wait? What?
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

Tucker in RF?
Fun fact. Kyle Tucker is tied in 27th in the MLB for exit velo this season.
Forgiven_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Phrasing said:

CFTXAG10 said:


He pulled a knife on someone in the clubhouse right? Hard not to see that one coming. Wonder if anyone picks him up.
Wait? What?
uhhh explain please
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Phrasing said:

CFTXAG10 said:


He pulled a knife on someone in the clubhouse right? Hard not to see that one coming. Wonder if anyone picks him up.
Wait? What?
How'd you miss this?!

Quote:

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz."
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From his one at bat

(Response to the Tucker stat)
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you guys really miss the story about Guduan and Deetz?

It's in the thread in the past 10-15 pages, but on mobile right now and can't look it up. He hit him in the head with a bat, then came back later with a knife.