***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,261 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

You gotta drop average. That's a poor way to judge how good someone is. Springer had a 800+ ops as a rookie in 70 some games.
In Marvin's defense, he was arguing your contention that George "raked" his rookie year.

Without getting into a stat nerd argument about the virtues of offense metrics du jour and while acknowledging that George had a very solid rookie year, I will take his side and say that no one that hit .231 was ever described as someone that "raked" that season.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

You gotta drop average. That's a poor way to judge how good someone is. Springer had a 800+ ops as a rookie in 70 some games.
In Marvin's defense, he was arguing your contention that George "raked" his rookie year.

Without getting into a stat nerd argument about the virtues of offense metrics du jour and while acknowledging that George had a very solid rookie year, I will take his side and say that no one that hit .231 was ever described as someone that "raked" that season.

His hard hit% was almost 40 and his home run rate was the highest of his career. His rookie wRC+ beat last year's easily.

The DH by committee is working. But if it wasn't and we brought a guy up that hit like George did his rookie year then it'd be a huge success.
Harry Dunne
Sorry, but if you have to use advanced metrics to prove a guy raked, then he didn't rake.

No doubt he had a real nice season but that's not the argument.
Farmer1906
AG
Cool. Define "raked".
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Bettet that tool screw over someone else than screw us over.
Ag_07
AG
Even the catcher was like 'WTF?'
Ag_07
AG
And since it's an off night I'm bouncing around watching random games. Stopped at the CIN @ LAD game

I get all kinda feelings anytime I see Dodger Stadium.
W
AG
late night loss for the Mariners. The Indians' bullpen tried to give it away
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

brewers took care of kulpa

Bregxit
AG
07ag said:

Farmer1906 said:

brewers took care of kulpa

Same batter at the plate for both clips...were those the same at-bat?

Nvm didn't realize Goldschmidt was called out on the first one.
Mathguy64
AG
I cannot force myself to believe that a ML team would do that on purpose and give up a run, but man that sure looks like a late whiff by Grandal.
Buck Compton
AG
mathguy86 said:

I cannot force myself to believe that a ML team would do that on purpose and give up a run, but man that sure looks like a late whiff by Grandal.
Looks more like a true slider/fastball cross-up to me (just like what happened on the Dee Gordon score the other night). Catcher is sliding a bit outside and glove going down like he is playing for break. The ball keeps going straight and he tries to adjust.

Catchers don't look for spin or anything like that like batters do (since they supposedly know what's coming), so cross-up mean it's tough to adjust sometimes.

My guess? With runners on, signs were switched up a bit to prevent stealing and that's the source of the cross up.
JABQ04
AG
mathguy86 said:

Maybe Milwaukee just said Eff it, well take one for the team and by team I mean the entire MLB. .
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's the funniest, and most telling, part of that clip. Even the catcher was like what the heck?!
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Cool. Define "raked".
Obviously it's slang, but I think it's commonly used to mean that someone is hitting extremely well. JD Martinez raked last year. Altuve raked in 2017. Altuve is raking right now (Altuve rakes in general!) I texted a buddy who is a baseball coach and he said he thinks of it literally, like someone raking a yard and getting all the leaves...the guy is hardly missing anything coming over the plate.

You know a lot more about advanced stats than I do and I sincerely enjoy your posts and learning how to see the game in a different way. At the same time, people consume the game in different ways. Some of us olds just enjoy seeing guys "rake" and seeing our team score more runs than the other guys and get the W.

You enjoy arguing that guys "almost raked" or "should be raking" or "will probably rake in the future" and that's cool too and adds an interesting dimension. .231 just ain't raking and that's my only point (and I think was Marvin's as well).

Prosperdick
AG
Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

That's the funniest, and most telling, part of that clip. Even the catcher was like what the heck?!
Reminded me of the Naked Gun bit when both the batter (Jay Johnstone) and the catcher look back at Leslie Neilsen like WTF.
Deluxe
AG
I've been enjoying watching Jose Altuve rake recently
DVC2010
AG
Would you rather have a guy who hits .400 but literally always hits singles or a guy who hits .200 but gets extra bases every time? The question is more complicated than total bases times batting average (e.g., 2 singles are worth more than 1 double), but it is mathematically quantifiable. There is an objectively correct answer to that question.

Quote:

Some of us olds just enjoy seeing guys "rake" and seeing our team score more runs than the other guys and get the W.

That's exactly what wRC+ is for. It tells you which players are contributing most to run scoring, and is scaled to the league. Absolute metrics like batting average and slugging percentage mean something different year-to-year. Remember the alleged slippery postseason balls a couple of years ago? Those inflated the run environment. There exists a hypothetical run environment where hitting .231 is absolutely astonishing. That's why I prefer wRC+: it tells you how good a batter is compared to his peers, which in turn allows you to compare offensive performance across seasons and even eras.

Springer's rookie wRC+ was 129. That means he produced 29% more runs than the average American Leaguer in 2014. We can quibble about the definition of the term "rake," but I'll definitely take that production.
Agnzona
DVC2010 said:

Would you rather have a guy who hits .400 but literally always hits singles or a guy who hits .200 but gets extra bases every time? The question is more complicated than total bases times batting average (e.g., 2 singles are worth more than 1 double), but it is mathematically quantifiable. There is an objectively correct answer to that question.

Quote:

Some of us olds just enjoy seeing guys "rake" and seeing our team score more runs than the other guys and get the W.

That's exactly what wRC+ is for. It tells you which players are contributing most to run scoring, and is scaled to the league. Absolute metrics like batting average and slugging percentage mean something different year-to-year. Remember the alleged slippery postseason balls a couple of years ago? Those inflated the run environment. There exists a hypothetical run environment where hitting .231 is absolutely astonishing. That's why I prefer wRC+: it tells you how good a batter is compared to his peers, which in turn allows you to compare offensive performance across seasons and even eras.

Springer's rookie wRC+ was 129. That means he produced 29% more runs than the average American Leaguer in 2014. We can quibble about the definition of the term "rake," but I'll definitely take that production.

I used to kid I could be MVP if I could only hit singles and only bat .250. All I need is to be able to call that one hit a game.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Farmer1906
AG
All good, HD. After my last post even I was like, why am i still talking about this. It was one offhand comment about rookies coming in and raking.
redline248
AG
"Rake" is definitely an ambiguous term, but I think of it as getting hits at an above average clip with lots of power. I'll personally never consider a .200 batter as someone who rakes, regardless of power. More often than not that player is coming up to bat with men in scoring position and fails to get a hit.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

All good, HD. After my last post even I was like, why am i still talking about this. It was one offhand comment about rookies coming in and raking.
All good & IMO arguing about minutiae 2-3 posts too long is the core of Texags Astros thread. I can't think of a single topic we unanimously agree on. Kate Upton, maybe.

Deluxe
AG
9 game winning streaks, dream crushing, and Kate
Ag_07
AG
Right now no one on this team is raking.

All they do is sweep!!!
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

All good & IMO arguing about minutiae 2-3 posts too long is the core of Texags Astros thread. I can't think of a single topic we unanimously agree on. Kate Upton, maybe.

Complete smokeshow

But has anyone noticed she's got no hips? She's not hourglassey at all. Her great upper half makes you miss it.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Her great upper half makes you not GAF.

FIFY
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I can't think of a single topic we unanimously agree on. Kate Upton, maybe

And it took no time to find a contrarian. At least we are a consistent bunch...

Edit- maybe too strong a word. We do tend to find the slightest flaw, though, each in our own way. It just made me laugh.
mazag08
AG
Checking the thread and hearing nothing except semantics on "raking"

astros4545
AG
What is the franchise win streak record again?

11 or 12?
DVC2010
AG
mazag08 said:

Checking the thread and hearing nothing except semantics on "raking"

This doesn't crack the top 10 for off-day musings.
Post removed:
by user
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545 said:

What is the franchise win streak record again?

11 or 12?

First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.