***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,584 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cruz has already hit bombs into the Crawford boxes (and over them) as an opponent ... I'd like to see what he can do at MMP for 50-60 home games
Kashchei
AG
Ag_07 said:

Interesting

Quote:

Paxton also found out from Yankees special advisor Carlos Beltran that he was tipping his curveball grip in his most recent start, an ugly showing in Houston on April 10. He'll attempt to incorporate Beltran's advice against Boston on Tuesday.

I wish we had brought Beltran in as our hitting coach.
AggiEE
Cruz off to a good start...imagine him batting number 5 followed by Correa and Yuli?

A bit peeved we didn't nab him, since he really wasn't a huge risk $$ wise.
dshedd41
S
http://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sweep-mariners-to-extend-win-streak-to-9
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
Monday off days suck.
AgDoc03
AG
Beat40 said:

All off days suck.

FIFY
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marvin
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't know. Maybe

And I should say...It's not that he doesn't value a DH I just don't think he values it enough to spend valuable pieces to get one.

I think ideally it's addressed internally.

Agree with you.

I also think they value overall combined production at a given position. So if 2-3 people play DH over the season, but the combined average for the season is lik .275/20/70, I think Lunhow values that more if those 2-3 people can in multiple positions to help the team.

If the combined average for the season for the DH is .275/25/80, why do we HAVE to have a guy that only hits when having players who can play multiple positions well allows for being able to give people days off and keeping them more fresh?

If the starting pitching and pen hold up- big "ifs" for every club- this team is a legitimate WS threat, maybe even a favorite. Luhnow has proven time and again that he knows what he is doing, and is incredible at correctly weighing the needs of today against the payoffs of tomorrow. I would not question him. Not knowing at this point what he's thinking, however, I would dearly like for us to bring in an established bat at DH if the season keeps progressing on this trajectory. I do not trust any minor league bat come playoff time. Those #5 and sometimes even the #4 starters are in the pen for short outings, so the task of hitting is even tougher. We've not really seen an Astro kid come up and rake without a considerable acclimation period (see Bregman, for example). Certainly not one that will be needed mainly for his bat. Maybe I missed someone, but nothing comes to mind.

Anyway, my point is that the window is NOW, all things being equal the rest of the way. Luhnow will make the right move, but until he does I'm hoping it is for a big league bat over a prospect... even at the expense of that prospect.

In Luhnow I trust!
Mr Gigem
AG
If any of y'all are coming up for the Astros/Rangers series this weekend, don't forget about the coupon code for discount tickets.

Use the link below and coupon code texags19
https://www.mlb.com/rangers/tickets/single-game-tickets
Farmer1906
AG
Here is how our DH has faired this year.

.295 Avg
.348 Obp
.541 Slug
.889 Ops
122 Ops+

I was pro Cruz or some FA upgrade at DH, but if we get this kind of production rotating guys through then you won't hear a peep from me. This kind of production is awesome.
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

We've not really seen an Astro kid come up and rake without a considerable acclimation period (see Bregman, for example).

Altuve, Springer, & Correa all come to mind.
CreedBratton
AccidentProne said:

If any of y'all are coming up for the Astros/Rangers series this weekend, don't forget about the coupon code for discount tickets.

AP is good people
k20dub
AG
Looking at the standings this morning...

Seattle is 13-5 after our sweep and lead the league with 126 runs scored. We've scored 67. That's nuts.

Also TB is 12-4 with 40 runs given up. Haven't looked much into it, have they stuck with their opener strategy? If so, it seems to be working.
dshedd41
S
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/powerrankings041519/power-rankings-big-tests-coming-april-hot-starters

1- Houston Astros
Quote:

This week's matchups: 2 games at Oakland, 3 at Texas

What to watch: Houston will head into Tuesday night's game against the A's riding a nine-game win streak after consecutive sweeps of the A's, Yankees and Mariners. Like their 42-16 start in 2017, this is the kind of run that could put away the AL West race by June -- if they can keep it going. And keep an eye on Jose Altuve. After homering in five straight games last week, he saw his bid to tie the team record of six straight come up short. But who says the former MVP won't keep raking?
Gig’em Aggies!
Hulla Baller
AG
dshedd14 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/powerrankings041519/power-rankings-big-tests-coming-april-hot-starters

1- Houston Astros
Quote:

This week's matchups: 2 games at Oakland, 3 at Texas

What to watch: Houston will head into Tuesday night's game against the A's riding a nine-game win streak after consecutive sweeps of the A's, Yankees and Mariners. Like their 42-16 start in 2017, this is the kind of run that could put away the AL West race by June -- if they can keep it going. And keep an eye on Jose Altuve. After homering in five straight games last week, he saw his bid to tie the team record of six straight come up short. But who says the former MVP won't keep raking?

W
AG
it will be interesting to see how long it takes the Red Sox (6-10) and Yankees (6-9) to get going.

the Rays' (12-4) next 19 games are against the Royals, Orioles, and Red Sox. Fairly soft schedule. Tampa may be in 1st place for a while
ClickClack
AG
CreedBratton said:

AccidentProne said:

AP is good people

Pretty sure it helps him a little too
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

We've not really seen an Astro kid come up and rake without a considerable acclimation period (see Bregman, for example).

Altuve, Springer, & Correa all come to mind.

Which Springer are you remembering? The rookie in 2014 that hit .231 for the year? If you recall, he started the season hitting .182 with 0 homers in 55 AB's. He ended up with 20 homers, so there was some pop no doubt, but he needed an acclimation period... which was my point. And he tailed off considerably at the end of that year, so he was basically Chris Carter with outfield speed.

Altuve hit .276 with 2 homers in his 2011 debut season. A light hitting second baseman is not what I'd call an ideal solution for a stretch run DH. I'm not bashing his rookie year, but there's no need to call that bat up from the minors with a player like Kemp already on the bench.

Correa hit even better with a .279 average and 22 homers in 2015. If Luhnow makes a trade, it could well be for that type of bat. I'll give you Correa.

Who do we have in Round Rock or Corpus that is Correa from 2014/15? Don't say Tucker... haha.

Mr Gigem
AG
It definitely does, but nothing to write home about

Now if y'all wanted to have a #TOFA suite in the new ballpark...then that's another story
Farmer1906
AG
You gotta drop average. That's a poor way to judge how good someone is. Springer had a 800+ ops as a rookie in 70 some games.
. . .
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You gotta drop average. That's a poor way to judge how good someone is. Springer had a 800+ ops as a rookie in 70 some games.

It's one of several metrics, and analysts use it every day. There are others for sure.

If our DH spot continues to hit, get on base and drive in runs, it may be moot. Otherwise, hopefully Luhnow adds a Cruz or Brantley type of hitter that's already a proven asset.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

It's one of several metrics, and analysts use it every day. There are others for sure.

If our DH spot continues to hit, get on base and drive in runs, it may be moot. Otherwise, hopefully Luhnow adds a Cruz or Brantley type of hitter that's already a proven asset.

Right but if you're issuing just one that ain't it. It should be OPS, wRC+, OPS+, wOBA, or even OBP
agsquirrel97
AG
AccidentProne said:

Thank you AP.

quick question - at what point do yall just start giving away the tickets?
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Ag_07
AG
Never

Don't wanna upset the season ticket holders who pay for those.
Mr Gigem
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

AccidentProne said:

Thank you AP.

quick question - at what point do yall just start giving away the tickets?
You're welcome.

quick answer - never. There's always a demand to buy tickets
redline248
AG
Quote:

Hinch challenged his teamwith the help of Statcast. On Day 1 of spring training, when wondering how he could motivate a 103-win team to play better, Hinch challenged his players to be more aggressive on the bases. He pointed out that last year the Astros averaged 10 feet with their leads off first base, almost a foot and a half shorter than the major league average. That's complacency. This year they have attempted a stolen base in 6.8% of their opportunities, up from 4.3% last year. Though Houston has a lousy success rate (8 of 15), the mindset of complacency is gone.
If that success rate at stolen bases doesn't improve, I wonder if Hinch dumps the strategy.

Does anyone know why/how the Astros are at such a higher spin rate than the rest of the league? Is that a trade secret that only they have figured out?
Beat40
redline248 said:

Quote:

Hinch challenged his teamwith the help of Statcast. On Day 1 of spring training, when wondering how he could motivate a 103-win team to play better, Hinch challenged his players to be more aggressive on the bases. He pointed out that last year the Astros averaged 10 feet with their leads off first base, almost a foot and a half shorter than the major league average. That's complacency. This year they have attempted a stolen base in 6.8% of their opportunities, up from 4.3% last year. Though Houston has a lousy success rate (8 of 15), the mindset of complacency is gone.
If that success rate at stolen bases doesn't improve, I wonder if Hinch dumps the strategy.

Does anyone know why/how the Astros are at such a higher spin rate than the rest of the league? Is that a trade secret that only they have figured out?
Tyler Bauer knows.
Farmer1906
AG
Sign guys who already have high spin rates.
Tyler Bauer
Pine tar.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

True enough
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

True enough

We traded for Pressly. He already had a high spin rate. We traded for JV. He already had the highest fastball spin.

The big CFM improvement was due to trying harder.

"For some reason," Morton said, "I just went out there and tried to throw the ball hard one game. I wound up throwing it harder."
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Right but if you're issuing just one that ain't it. It should be OPS, wRC+, OPS+, wOBA, or even OBP

Well, that's the great thing about sports. The Triple Crown in baseball consists of what... average, RBI and homers. What does the TV display when a batter is in the box... average, RBI and homers. What did I give you? Average and homers, so it wasn't just average now was it?

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, and I get the value of those other stats. In other word, save your Peter Brand impersonation.

Marvin
AG
Tyler Bauer said:

Pine tar.

I haven't seen a certain starter-turned-reliever's hat look quite as shiny and dark since his first appearance. I'm guessing it was just a cold weather thing...
Farmer1906
AG
They showed it on TV. That's all that should matter.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Simple as this.

Looking at more than just results to identify guys that need to tweak their approach and who are good candidates to respond to the system.

It's also the reason we have such depth in the farm system when it comes to arms. It's the same approach
First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.