***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,615 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
tremble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ho hum
Agnzona
Early I know but is the bullpen even better than last year?
Not to mention, the off seadon additions while not flashy seem to be paying off....

LOB is going to cut a few years of my life if we don't start hitting with people on base.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
McInnis
AG
jja79 said:

I went to my first game at Colts Stadium in 1964. 1969 was an awesome summer. Finally the Astros showed some life, the Cubs collapsed and the Mets were indeed amazing.

I work with a former Astros pitcher from back in the day so there's a lot of baseball talk and some of those guys come around. I talk to Art Howe occasionally at the club he and I belong to.

My memory might be faulty but I think Dierker homered and doubled off Ryan that day.
jja79,

It looks like your memory is solid. Dierker hit the 3rd of his 4 career home runs off Nolan Ryan in the second game of a double header in 1969.

Dierker

Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Blummer can stay his ass in Augusta.

But seriously that Pressly/Osuna combo is sick.

But how about that Rondon/Pressly/Osuna combo?
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

W said:

on to Oakland.

Ugh...F@#$ that place

Silver lining of not being able to watch weeknight west coast games is not having to listen to those stupid effing drums in Oakland. Screw that place
Mathguy64
AG
This team is missing a real DH and a decent backup catcher. Other than that it's very very good. It's going to be a fun season
Agnzona
And I think one of those gets address mid sseason.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
bearkatag15
AG
I'm betting catcher is considered the higher priority at this point. I think DH can be addressed internally
Kashchei
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'm betting catcher is considered the higher priority at this point. I think DH can be addressed internally

Honestly I still would like another SP too. Keep Peacock in the pen. #greedy This might get addressed internally as well.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm less concerned about a backup C than a real DH. This team is winning right now without either. It's not winning a WS without a DH. In the playoffs a backup C is no big deal. Robbie will play every day at that point.
Harry Dunne
We've got lots of options at DH, particularly if Jake & Reddick keep hitting.

Diaz is coming around. Hopefully Kemp & White will too. Air Yordan looks like he might be the real deal. Straw is off to a hot start and he could improve our defense & turn any of our OF into a DH.

...and Tucker isn't changing my mind with that .422 OPS, but I'm not giving up just yet.
Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

It's not winning a WS without a DH.

It did in 2017

Seriously though this team hasn't had a legit DH since joining the AL.

It's something I swore up and down that we needed but I'm thinking it's just not a need. If you stack the lineup with legit bats who can also field you can win without paying a premium bat who doesn't field.

I just don't think Luhnow values it much either or it would've been addressed a long time ago. If anything it's addressed internally but I don't see is trading valuable pieces for a big bat.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

mathguy86 said:

It's not winning a WS without a DH.

It did in 2017

Seriously though this team hasn't had a legit DH since joining the AL.

It's something I swore up and down that we needed but I'm thinking it's just not a need. If you stack the lineup with legit bats who can also field you can win without paying a premium bat who doesn't field.

I just don't think Luhnow values it much either or it would've been addressed a long time ago. If anything it's addressed internally but I don't see is trading valuable pieces for a big bat.
If Luhnow doesn't value that kind of player, one that can't really play defense but is a solid bat, what does he do with Alvarez if an elite JV level SP is available in July via trade? Do you think he gives him up for a rental?
Ag_07
AG
I don't know. Maybe

And I should say...It's not that he doesn't value a DH I just don't think he values it enough to spend valuable pieces to get one.

I think ideally it's addressed internally.
Mathguy64
AG
I have no problem addressing it internally. But IMHO it needs to be addressed.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I don't know. Maybe

And I should say...It's not that he doesn't value a DH I just don't think he values it enough to spend valuable pieces to get one.

I think ideally it's addressed internally.

Agree with you.

I also think they value overall combined production at a given position. So if 2-3 people play DH over the season, but the combined average for the season is lik .275/20/70, I think Lunhow values that more if those 2-3 people can in multiple positions to help the team.

If the combined average for the season for the DH is .275/25/80, why do we HAVE to have a guy that only hits when having players who can play multiple positions well allows for being able to give people days off and keeping them more fresh?
Pahdz
so is there backstory on this girl? I mean, this gif is pretty old right? does she know she's an internet sensation?
W
AG
Ag_07 said:

W said:

on to Oakland.

Ugh...F@#$ that place
just a 2-game set. Then back to Arlington.

strange schedule with 2 road trips to the same place in the first 3 weeks.

Odor went on the 10-day injured list over the weekend
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Odor went on the 10-day injured list over the weekend

After playing in Phoenix, I suspect that's his way of showing his owner that he hates the choice of a plastic field next year
dshedd41
S
I have no idea,
I will investigates and let you know
Gig’em Aggies!
fatdad84ag
AG
I was hoping that Brantley could DH most of the time with an OF of Springer, Reddick, Marisnick, Kemp or one of Alvarez/Straw. Then give him an occasional game in the OF to give Springer a DH day, or when one of the regular IFers gets a day off and moves to DH.
Post removed:
by user
. . .

Quote:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/article/Astros-fan-rally-dance-good-luck-charm-dancing-11054072.php

When Root Sports came back from commercial break in the middle of the 13th, the cameras spotted an Astros fan doing a ... dance?

Shortly after the viewing public was blessed with the viewing of this spontaneous celebration of baseball and life, it all started coming together for the home team.

With the Astros down to their last out and Evan Gattis on base, Nori Aoki kept the inning alive with a base hit. Then, George Springer came up and delivered a walk-off home run into the Crawford Boxes to give the Astros a 5-3 win.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
third coast.. said:

someone on here knows the girl and she knows about the gif and likes it.

I know her and can confirm she loves the gif
Ag_07
AG
Interesting

Quote:

Paxton also found out from Yankees special advisor Carlos Beltran that he was tipping his curveball grip in his most recent start, an ugly showing in Houston on April 10. He'll attempt to incorporate Beltran's advice against Boston on Tuesday.

gougler08
AG
Apparently Beltran is a god at identifying people's tips
AgDoc03
AG
gougler08 said:

And it brought us a ring in 2017
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
k20dub
AG
gougler08 said:

iBrad
AG
Yeah. The model sure seems to be to have the utility guy and cycle the starters through the DH slot to give them a day off from the field from time to time. And fill it with a bench spot based on matchups the rest of the time.

I think that's a great strategy during a 162-game season. Come playoff time is where it would be nice to have a guy like JD Martinez. But if your DH is too inept in the field, then you have a liability in interleague play and in the World Series.

I wonder how things will change when then NL starts using the DH.
iBrad
AG
Let's say the Astros had signed Nelson Cruz. Do you put him in right or on the bench in an NL park?
redline248
AG
Forgiven_Ag said:

third coast.. said:

someone on here knows the girl and she knows about the gif and likes it.

I know her and can confirm she loves the gif

I can confirm I also love the gif, and her
Beat40
Yeah, and definitely not saying I 100% agree with it, just I think that's what I think the team strategy is.

I do think that if the NL gets the DH, I would guess the Astros, if the management is the same, would try to fill th position either internally.
Mathguy64
AG
iBrad said:

Let's say the Astros had signed Nelson Cruz. Do you put him in right or on the bench in an NL park?

That's not the right question. The question is in the ALCS do you want Nelson Cruz or Tyler White as your DH?
AgDoc03
AG
At that point of season have to imagine White's gut will spill out over the plate and he'll just get plunked every at bat
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
iBrad said:

Bench. Then you have a hell of a PH late.
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.