***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

1,798,379 Views | 37647 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Philip J Fry
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Love this guy
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
But before you start thinking The Teflon Don De Goti sounds pretty good don't forget SuperJack is hitting .300 & 25 HR @ RR.
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Jake had as many at bats as Reddick, how would his HR and RBI totals compare.
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Damn, AJ after the game in response to Correa "Yeah I'm not happy about it, but we'll hope for the best".

I know many of you have had to manage a staff and it sucks having to replace a top performer's performance if they are out for a week. I can only imagine the ulcers when that performer is an mvp caliber short stop.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

If Jake had as many at bats as Reddick, how would his HR and RBI totals compare.
404 ABs for Reddick vs 233 for Jake.

multiplier of 1.735 for Jake's numbers...

Hits would be 98-99
HRs would be 15-16
RBI would be 48-49

Reddick's numbers are

Hits - 107
HRs - 10
RBI - 45
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

If Jake had as many at bats as Reddick, how would his HR and RBI totals compare.
404 ABs for Reddick vs 233 for Jake.

multiplier of 1.735 for Jake's numbers...

Hits would be 98-99
HRs would be 15-16
RBI would be 48-49

Reddick's numbers are

Hits - 107
HRs - 10
RBI - 45
Jake has been better in August...and Reddick built a bunch of that in April/May? I like Reddick, but he's cold AF right now. Of course, the same can be said about Correa's last week. Hope he's not out for more than a day or 2.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

If Jake had as many at bats as Reddick, how would his HR and RBI totals compare.
404 ABs for Reddick vs 233 for Jake.

multiplier of 1.735 for Jake's numbers...

Hits would be 98-99
HRs would be 15-16
RBI would be 48-49

Reddick's numbers are

Hits - 107
HRs - 10
RBI - 45


This is assuming Jake would be able to keep up his numbers getting more PT. It seems like AJ uses him in better match ups for him.
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Springer
Altuve
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Yuli
Chirinos/Machete
Reddick

That is a WS Championship winning lineup.

Problem is, it is also an ALDS losing lineup if bats are cold.

Those 9 guys have the skill sets and experience needed to blow any team / pitcher out of the ballpark and everyone of them is an everyday starter on 30/30 MLB teams. On top of that, Diaz, Jake, Machete, Straw and Tucker would probably start on most MLB teams right now.

I am sure you could argue a couple of teams that one or 2guys wouldn't start on, but I don't think there is a single team in MLB that would not trade us top to bottom, player for player, right now. Bottom line, we are stacked and the playoffs are ours for the taking, with this lineup.

There is no need to call for Springer to be dropped to the 7 spot going into the World Series, and no need to call for a Reddick trade going into September.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agsquirrel97 said:

Springer
Altuve
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Yuli
Chirinos/Machete
Reddick

That is a WS Championship winning lineup.

Problem is, it is also an ALDS losing lineup if bats are cold.

Those 9 guys have the skill sets and experience needed to blow any team / pitcher out of the ballpark and everyone of them is an everyday starter on 30/30 MLB teams. On top of that, Diaz, Jake, Machete, Straw and Tucker would probably start on most MLB teams right now.

I am sure you could argue a couple of teams that one or 2guys wouldn't start on, but I don't think there is a single team in MLB that would not trade us top to bottom, player for player, right now. Bottom line, we are stacked and the playoffs are ours for the taking, with this lineup.

There is no need to call for Springer to be dropped to the 7 spot going into the World Series, and no need to call for a Reddick trade going into September.


Well we can't trade Reddick until the off-season

But we should definitely give Tucker another chance. He could definitely provide some pop in the bottom of the lineup severely lacking with Reddick's abysmal bat
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what's also frustrating...Diaz is missing his opportunity to shine.

this is twice now that he's (Diaz) been hurt at the same time as the guy he was supposed to be the insurance policy for (Correa)
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long was that game last night my god. I had to go to bed in the 6th.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bring up tucker to play first, yuli to third
Bregs to short.

Or bregs at third
Jack at ss
Yuli at first
Tucker bench or right field for reddick

Reddick just needs to sit for a few games and figure his **** out. He swing looks long and slow and under almost everything. Get in the cage, figure some **** out and be ready for the playoffs. Give the rook a few tries. Would be a lot easier is Correa or Diaz was available but it is what it is.

Do sept call ups not count the same as an earlier year call up as far as team control is concerned? If that's the case I guess we will see some no name instead of him
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is Reddick since July 1. I picked that start date just as it starts a month. It's bad. I mean he shouldn't be playing level bad.

34 G, 134 PA
.182/.235/.231, wRC+ 26
0 HR, 9 R, 8 RBI

Its time.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

This is Reddick since July 1. I picked that start date just as it starts a month. It's bad. I mean he shouldn't be playing level bad.

34 G, 134 PA
.182/.235/.231, wRC+ 26
0 HR, 9 R, 8 RBI

Its time.



We paid homage to the 05 Astros last night by having a guy who hits worse than pitchers in the 9 hole
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just looking at post-All-Star stats for the heck of it. A stat I found a bit surprising.

Altuve is tied with Alvarez with 12 home runs since the All-Star break.

I would not have guessed that.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

Just looking at post-All-Star stats for the heck of it. A stat I found a bit surprising.

Altuve is tied with Alvarez with 12 home runs since the All-Star break.

I would not have guessed that.
He raised his average 40 points. He's been hot.
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mwm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just watched a re-play of Correa's at-bat last night. What I saw on his face was "that was a stupid swing". His facial expression didn't show me "pain" or "discomfort". The guy is a phenomenal athlete but may be a snowflake.
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mwm said:

I just watched a re-play of Correa's at-bat last night. What I saw on his face was "that was a stupid swing". His facial expression didn't show me "pain" or "discomfort". The guy is a phenomenal athlete but may be a snowflake.
Totally agree. I didn't see a grimace that showed physical pain, more like I can't believe I swung at that pitch pain.

I hope he is fine and comes and helps us win another WS and boosts his value as much as possible. Then we trade in the off season and get as much as we can for him.

When is he expected to sign his long term big contract?
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And a follow up question, assuming we don't sign him to a long term deal and let him go in FA, would you rather shift Bregs to short and get another mid to upper tier 3B, or leave Bregs at 3B and get a new SS?

I would like to leave Yuli at 1B instead of moving him to 3B, but that could be an option depending on the market and what players are available.
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Isn't Yuli a 34 y/o that's a free agent in 2020?
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:

And a follow up question, assuming we don't sign him to a long term deal and let him go in FA, would you rather shift Bregs to short and get another mid to upper tier 3B, or leave Bregs at 3B and get a new SS?

I would like to leave Yuli at 1B instead of moving him to 3B, but that could be an option depending on the market and what players are available.
Yuli will be gone before Correa is.

Tucker or Alvarez will be at 1st.

Bregman should probably stay at 3rd and we'll need Straw(AAA-24), Pena(A-21), or Kessinger(A-21) to develop or go free agent.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Phrasing said:

And a follow up question, assuming we don't sign him to a long term deal and let him go in FA, would you rather shift Bregs to short and get another mid to upper tier 3B, or leave Bregs at 3B and get a new SS?

I would like to leave Yuli at 1B instead of moving him to 3B, but that could be an option depending on the market and what players are available.
Yuli will be gone before Correa is.

Tucker or Alvarez will be at 1st.

Bregman should probably stay at 3rd and we'll need Straw(AAA-24), Pena(A-21), or Kessinger(A-21) to develop or go free agent.
I think Bregman stays at 3B too. We have Diaz under club control thru 2022 and should be able to retain him for cheap after that, so he's the logical short term answer at SS when Correa leaves. And among all our minor league SS, I think Nova is the one to watch long term. He's our #3 prospect right now.
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Isn't Yuli a 34 y/o that's a free agent in 2020?
Just looked it up, looks like he gets $8.4 M in 2020, then two years of Arb, and then FA in 2023.

With his production, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around. But at 35 years old, that could fade off. I just really like him as a player on offense and defense.
AgFan1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2021 is his free agent year according to spotrac, 2023 per baseball reference.
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for clarifying, I was looking at Baseball Reference.

On that same site, it has Correra in Arb for 2020 and 2021. So does that mean Correra (unless traded) will definitely be an Astro for those years? Basically we just have to go with whatever the panel decides for his salary for those two years if we don't want to sign him to a long term deal?
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mwm said:

I just watched a re-play of Correa's at-bat last night. What I saw on his face was "that was a stupid swing". His facial expression didn't show me "pain" or "discomfort". The guy is a phenomenal athlete but may be a snowflake.

His face wasn't a face of pain but his swings did not look comfortable. He looked very stiff and not very fluid. Not only was it a bad pitch to swing at but it was a very bad, unnatural swing.

And yes the jury is out...He's a snowflake.

This was a big year for Correa to prove he wasn't injury prove that he can produce for a full ML season.
12law
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgFan1999 said:

2021 is his free agent year according to spotrac, 2023 per baseball reference.
His contract expires next year, but he is still under team control for the two years after that.
12law
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:

Thanks for clarifying, I was looking at Baseball Reference.

On that same site, it has Correra in Arb for 2020 and 2021. So does that mean Correra (unless traded) will definitely be an Astro for those years? Basically we just have to go with whatever the panel decides for his salary for those two years if we don't want to sign him to a long term deal?
Yes, that's right. The more games he misses, the lower his arbitration value will be. I highly doubt we will trade Correa. We may let him walk as a free agent, but he won't command as big of a payday if he keeps being hurt.
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Say what you want about Correa's injury history, but I will not dog the man for getting injured.

He helped bring a World Series to Houston. He can get injured the rest of his time here, and I will always be grateful he was a Houston Astros and helped us win our first WS.
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He of course was an instrumental piece in helping win that WS, for sure, but his injury history is incredibly relevant to the discussion of his future with the team. I am tired of watching him only play half a season. And the injury while getting a massage was the final straw. If your star short stop gets injured while undergoing routine maintenance, there is a serious issue there.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's the story and he's sticking to it.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CSWendt said:

Say what you want about Correa's injury history, but I will not dog the man for getting injured.

He helped bring a World Series to Houston. He can get injured the rest of his time here, and I will always be grateful he was a Houston Astros and helped us win our first WS.

True. Not disagreeing with you there.

But that doesn't mean I want to lock him up long term for a massive contract that he's not worth.

expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Phrasing said:

He of course was an instrumental piece in helping win that WS, for sure, but his injury history is incredibly relevant to the discussion of his future with the team. I am tired of watching him only play half a season. And the injury while getting a massage was the final straw. If your star short stop gets injured while undergoing routine maintenance, there is a serious issue there.

If you care to read through the other 900 pages of the thread Correas injuries and future contract status are discussed on every page from 22-696, then again on 699, 702, 715, no mention on 716 or 717, and then discussed every page since. Many many many many many many many many people share your concerns.
AgFan1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just addressing the discrepancy between the two websites.
Page 893 of 1076
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.