***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,624 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CSWendt
Ag_07 said:

CSWendt said:

Say what you want about Correa's injury history, but I will not dog the man for getting injured.

He helped bring a World Series to Houston. He can get injured the rest of his time here, and I will always be grateful he was a Houston Astros and helped us win our first WS.

True. Not disagreeing with you there.

But that doesn't mean I want to lock him up long term for a massive contract that he's not worth.

And I don't want to lock him up long term either. But I think our conversation of Correa sounds a lot more like we dislike him vs we just don't want to keep him long-term.
Ag_07
AG
I can see that.

It's just frustrating to see a guy who has MVP talent not be able to stay on the field. And not just that but it's the way he gets hurt too. It's not diving for a ball, running into a wall, hustling out an infield hit. It's a GD massage and back tightness.

It's frustrating and it takes it's toll on a fanbase.
mwm
Good points. I agree...this was his year to show everyone his worth by playing a full, injury-free season. And that didn't happen. As it now stands, he has played in 72 of our 126 games. If he goes on the 10-day IL, he may miss another 8-10 games putting him right at having played in a little over 50% of the games in 2019. That can't be too good at the bargaining table.

There's no way to know this, but I wonder if he "felt something" in pre-game warm-ups and tried to "push through it". Perhaps, he should have gone to the trainer right then and avoid the risk of aggravating or avoiding an injury altogether? Pure speculation on my part.
Frok
AG
. . . said:

That doesn't sound very optimistic.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I can see that.

It's just frustrating to see a guy who has MVP talent not be able to stay on the field. And not just that but it's the way he gets hurt too. It's not diving for a ball, running into a wall, hustling out an infield hit. It's a GD massage and back tightness.

It's frustrating and it takes it's toll on a fanbase.
Backs are weird though man. You can throw your back out sneezing. I have a hard time giving a guy crap for a bad back when they can go out with just the snap of a finger. I mean, I had a lower back issue while I was in high school that came out of no where and bothered me for a month. I played a ton of basketball and physical activities. I'm not a professional athlete, but that doesn't exempt them from back problems.

I've heard people with the massage point. I'm speculating, but I think by the organization's reaction to the massage that maybe it was more than "just a massage." I just have a feeling it was a massage that may have had some unorthodox practices. As I said, I'm just speculating based on the organizations reactions.

It is certainly frustrating. I can't help but hope for him that he is able to get over these issues and have a long career.
iamtheglove
Phrasing said:

And a follow up question, assuming we don't sign him to a long term deal and let him go in FA, would you rather shift Bregs to short and get another mid to upper tier 3B, or leave Bregs at 3B and get a new SS?

I would like to leave Yuli at 1B instead of moving him to 3B, but that could be an option depending on the market and what players are available.

I think a likely scenario is Breggy to short and Toro to 3rd. Toro is 22 and been killing it at AA and AAA this year. I would imagine they will sign George to a deal which would probably preclude signing Yuli (who will be 36 at that time I think). Can only carry so many $25-30m deals. Need a tucker or yordon to be able to be able to play 1st in a year or 2.
Ag_07
AG
That's a fair assessment and I can understand that.

i just don't agree that he doesn't deserve criticism because of what he's done in the past.

When evaluating a player his injury history and his availability most certainly come into the equation. No one can deny the guy is a stud but if he's a stud in only 50-75% of the games then that's a red flag.

Fair or not that's just how it is.
W
AG
looking at some other shortstops that will be available down the line.

the A's Semien and the Angels' Simmons are free agents after the 2020 season. Neither has quite the total package that Correa does (when healthy) and both would be over the age of 30 going into the 2021 season.

But they would also not command the same contract/salary. Could be a 2 or 3-year stop gap if a prospect from the minors is not ready
W
AG
that being said...the A's will or should try to extend Semien in the offseason thru 2022 or 2023, so they can keep him with Chapman and Olson
bearkatag15
AG
expresswrittenconsent
Bad day for former Astro Octavio Dotel...
Prosperdick
AG
Once again 7-8-9 look abysmal...I wonder how many times La Pina gets nothing good to hit tonight. At some point teams are going to stop letting him beat them.
Jackie Daytona
AG
https://nypost.com/2019/08/20/ex-mets-octavio-dotel-luis-castillo-arrested-as-part-of-drug-trafficking-network/
12law
AG
I keep watching Jack Mayfield's at bats and keep wondering how he's putting up good numbers at AAA. He looks really bad in most of at bats here. Maybe it's the brights lights getting to him. I'm hoping he puts it together soon.
Deluxe
AG
Josh Reddick OPS by month

March/April .888
May .703
June .748
July .524
August .360
AgDoc03
AG
Deluxe said:

March/April .888
May .703
June .748
July .524
August .360

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

They should probably arrest Brad Lidge as well since Dotel was always the setup guy for Lidge.
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

March/April .888
May .703
June .748
July .524
August .360

Here is a similar breakdown for Tucker I saw the other day.

bearkatag15
AG

Gramercy Riffs
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

They should probably arrest Brad Lidge as well since Dotel was always the setup guy for Lidge.

I get the joke, but Lidge was the setup guy for Dotel.
W
AG
Prosperdick said:

Once again 7-8-9 look abysmal...I wonder how many times La Pina gets nothing good to hit tonight. At some point teams are going to stop letting him beat them.
I was surprised that the Tigers pitched to him last night
bigjag19
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Blue star sir.

Don't ask dotel
Harry Dunne
Gramercy Riffs said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I get the joke, but Lidge was the setup guy for Dotel.

Ag_07
AG
Prosperdick said:

Yuli is a good bad ball hitter. It's what he does. They can try and pitch around him but he can hit pitches pretty far outside the zone.

He's perfect to give protection and hit without it.

Unless they literally IBB him he'll continue to put the bat on the ball.
McInnis
AG
Just read the news on Dotel and saw that he played for 13 teams in his career, second most of any player ever. Had no idea.
PhatMack19
AG
Danuel House throwing out the first pitch
Charlie Conway
welp.... see yall next year
Bregxit
AG
Springer Dinger!
dshedd41
S
SPRINGER DINGER!
Gig’em Aggies!
Silent For Too Long
10th leadoff dinger.
Mr.Bond
AG
SPRINGA ****IN DINGA
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Bregxit
AG
Charlie Conway said:

welp.... see yall next year

Please keep your promise!
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit
AG
TUVE BOMB!
First Page Last Page
Page 894 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.