***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,779 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's cool.

A lot like how the NHL does their outdoor game (Winter Classic I think is what they call it) or a NCAA bball game on an aircraft carrier. I'll watch it.

Not sure why some think it's so dumb. Just a baseball game in a unique location. What's the big deal?
redline248
AG
They will sell those seats for so much money
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think it's cool.

A lot like how the NHL does their outdoor game (Winter Classic I think is what they call it) or a NCAA bball game on an aircraft carrier. I'll watch it.

Not sure why some think it's so dumb. Just a baseball game in a unique location. What's the big deal?
I think playing a game on the actual movie field would be cool but those 50-60 bench seats would have to fetch a very high price to make it worth it. Building a field next to the field seems...meh.
Beat40
Teddy Perkins said:

Just that not too much stock should be given to Tucker's struggles during his call-up from last year.
This is what I thought you were driving at, and I agree with it.

Seems there are quite a few on here who don't share that sentiment. I've made similar comments about Judge and even Trout when talking about Tucker and they never seem to register.
bullard21k
AG
Marvin said:

shano0603 said:

Julia and hot should never be said in the same sentence. She's not that attractive.

See, I agree but I also get the attraction. Personality, baseball knowledge, very fit... not a classic beauty, but the sum is definitely greater than the parts.

Agreed and i don't think Julia is hot by any means. I'm just saying I'd take watching and listening to her 10 times out of 10 compared to the attractive fill in who clearly has no idea what she's doing and has trouble mastering the English language
dshedd41
S
Good call on the Astros part. Fan safety should be a top priority and I'm glad the Astros did that.

I was at the game where the little girl got hit and it was scary af. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet and even the players from both sides were shaken by the accident.
Gig’em Aggies!
dshedd41
S
This sounds awesome. Looking forward to it
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
BMX Bandit said:

Is it really that hard to decipher?
I responded to Teddy. I figured that was what he was driving at.

However, there have been a few people on here that have said he will not be successful at the MLB level because of how he did in his first stint up here and then how he performed in the first month or two in Round Rock.

Plus, lots of people upset at his nickname of Ted just because he swing looks like Ted's rather than his hitting ability.

Tucker just seems to be somewhat polarizing here, so I just wanted to be clear which way we were going with that comment.
agproducer
AG
Extending the netting is the right thing to do, but it really sucks for the fans who sit in the seats that jut out into the field. The only point of sitting there is for the foul balls.

Beat40
dshedd14 said:

Good call on the Astros part. Fan safety should be a top priority and I'm glad the Astros did that.

I was at the game where the little girl got hit and it was scary af. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet and even the players from both sides were shaken by the accident.
Now having young kids that want to go to games, I'm in this camp as well. At the end of the day, I don't really think it's going to distract from the experience too much. It also keeps fan interference down as well.
Post removed:
by user
Bobcat-Ag
third coast.. said:

Not a fan of the nets.
I'm not a fan of the NBA in general.
CFTXAG10
AG
Someone has mentioned it on here before back when the accident took place, but there are just too many distractions that make this necessary. Walk down to those sections at any given time and see how many fans have their face buried in their phone, or are deep in conversation with folks next to them, or trying to order food/drinks from a vendor. I am okay with it if it protects the fans from some of these terrible accidents we have seen over time.
Post removed:
by user
Teddy Perkins
AG

So Stubbs will likely be optioned for Pressly. Not sure who goes down if Peacock comes back before Sept. Makes sense to just slow play Peacock and James' rehab.
CSWendt
I've never noticed the netting once the game starts on the times I have been able to sit along a baseline or behind home plate where netting currently exists.
W
AG
going back to the Reddick discussion...

ultimately here's the question...how many dead spots in the lineup are you comfortable with going into a 7-game series against the Yankees?

at this point it looks like the Astros will have 2 dead (or semi-dead) spots in the order if the front office decides to roll with Reddick the rest of the way and save Tucker for 2020.

keep in mind that in the playoffs Yuli (in the 7-hole) would be getting intentionally walked in big RBI spots. During the regular season teams will go ahead and pitch to him because it's 162 games
Mathguy64
AG
third coast.. said:

Not a fan of the nets.

The same was said when they went up at Olsen Field. It's going to happen at every park before the start of next season.
Frok
AG
The nets won't affect me since I'm lolpoor and sit in the 400s
W
AG
Safe at Home said:

Remember last year when some where comparing a certain prospect in the Astros organization to Ted Williams?
Turns out the comparison to Williams was ok, they just had the wrong prospect.

Career numbers:

Ted: BA .344, one HR per 14.9 ABs.

Yordan: .348/11.9

Never seen a rookie perform like this during all my years as an Astro fan. Roy O was close but this is ridiculous.
also interesting...Yordan is showing the importance of batting average. And yesterday's game was a great example.

Yordan had 3 singles. None of them resulted in an RBI. But what those singles did do is extend the inning down to Correa's and Yuli's spots in the batting order. And they delivered the big run-scoring hits.

if Yordan were a typical .240 one-true-outcome slugger...the 1st, 3rd, and 4th innings probably don't all extend to Yuli. Maybe just 1 of the 3
BMX Bandit
Quote:

how many dead spots in the lineup are you comfortable with going into a 7-game series against the Yankees?
Any GM in baseball would do back flips to only have 2 "dead spots' in the line up.

Ag_07
AG
Tumbler scheduled for delivery today.

Can't wait to see the final product!
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

how many dead spots in the lineup are you comfortable with going into a 7-game series against the Yankees?
Any GM in baseball would do back flips to only have 2 "dead spots' in the line up.

Our "dead spots" are a catching spot with well over league average production and Josh who is really a league average player for production on the season. They aren't so much "dead" as playing below the insane levels of 1-7 in front of them. .
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

ultimately here's the question...how many dead spots in the lineup are you comfortable with going into a 7-game series against the Yankees?

at this point it looks like the Astros will have 2 dead (or semi-dead) spots in the order if the front office decides to roll with Reddick the rest of the way and save Tucker for 2020.

keep in mind that in the playoffs Yuli (in the 7-hole) would be getting intentionally walked in big RBI spots. During the regular season teams will go ahead and pitch to him because it's 162 games
So what's the solution because teams will IBB Yuli to get to Tucker as well unless a light switch turns on and considering he won't be receiving consistent at bat's this September I don't think we'll know the answer to that question.

If teams want to walk our 7-hole hitter to get to our 8-hole hitter it means we get to turnover our lineup that much quicker (which almost always means more dangerous at bats with the 2nd and 3rd time through the order). I also think you're playing with fire with that approach because at some point Reddick or Diaz or one of our catchers is going to make them pay big time....then it's Springer back up in the leadoff spot. Ouch...not fun for opposing teams.
AustinCountyAg
W said:

the way you word this implies that the front office can just switch out Reddick for Tucker with Tucker automatically turning Reddicks spot into a now productive one.....Their is zero chance (aside from injuries) that the Astros will bench Reddick for Tucker this late in the season. The random starts for Tucker in September do not count. Come playoff time Tucker will be on the bench, and if Reddick is still massively struggling Jake will be getting the start in CF and George will be moved to RF
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Safe at Home said:

Remember last year when some where comparing a certain prospect in the Astros organization to Ted Williams?
Turns out the comparison to Williams was ok, they just had the wrong prospect.

Career numbers:

Ted: BA .344, one HR per 14.9 ABs.

Yordan: .348/11.9

Never seen a rookie perform like this during all my years as an Astro fan. Roy O was close but this is ridiculous.
also interesting...Yordan is showing the importance of batting average. And yesterday's game was a great example.

Yordan had 3 singles. None of them resulted in an RBI. But what those singles did do is extend the inning down to Correa's and Yuli's spots in the batting order. And they delivered the big run-scoring hits.

if Yordan were a typical .240 one-true-outcome slugger...the 1st, 3rd, and 4th innings probably don't all extend to Yuli. Maybe just 1 of the 3

That's note just avg. that's getting on base. He takes walks in those situations it still works.

I don't think there is a person out there that says Obp doesn't matter.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Our "dead spots" are a catching spot with well over league average production and Josh who is really a league average player for production on the season. They aren't so much "dead" as playing below the insane levels of 1-7 in front of them. .

This. There aren't any dead spots. We have the most complete line up of all time.
BMX Bandit
exactly. thats why I put in quotes.
Harry Dunne
People finding things to complain about in a lineup so good that player of the month 7th hitter gets IBBs.

Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

People finding things to complain about in a lineup so good that player of the month 7th hitter gets IBBs.

Especially when we RARELY if never IBB anyone, even Mike freaking Trout.
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

Harry Dunne said:

0 IBB for the Astros staff this year.

We don't give away bases or outs.
spadilly
S
AggiEE
I say we let Tucker play 50% of the time in September...if he does pretty well (not Yordan good, but on par with his AAA stats), I say you play the hot hand between him and Reddick going into October

The Home Run ball has become so important that it really makes the WS a bit of a crapshoot despite the quality pitching.

I'd rather have a guy that's capable of generating 3x more HRs in the lineup even if we don't necessarily need it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Long before there was an Internet when I was a teenager, I used to take the Sunday paper, get the extra sports section out and use every teams' stats to project out their best players' stats for the whole year. It was the best part of Sunday morning for a sports nerd.

I've enjoyed this thread so much the last few weeks after a hiatus from it. I couldn't help doing some Astros projects considering how freaking amazing the offense and pitching have been.

Projections for 162 through 115

Team wins: 105.6.

Yuli: 41 2B, 32 HR, 113 RBI, 321 total bases
Brantley: 192 hits, 44 2B, 23 HR, 99 RBI, 306 total bases
Bregman: 120 runs scored, 38 HR, 99 RBI, 121 BB
Springer: 96 runs scored, 35 HR, 89 RBI

Alvarez has played in 43 games and the team has 47 games left. If he were to play every day and double his numbers he'd be at 29 HR and 90 RBI in just 90 games. That is the definition of redonkulous.

**** Forgot the pitchers!

Verlander: 21-6, 290 K, 46 BB
Cole: 20-7, 318 K, 44 BB
Miley: 14-6
Osuna: 35 saves

Those numbers would have Verlander within Mike Hampton's team record of 22 wins set in 1999 and Cole with a chance to break J.R. Richard's strikeout record of 313 set in 1979.

Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Prosperdick said:

Harry Dunne said:

0 IBB for the Astros staff this year.

We don't give away bases or outs.
Exactly...and we're worried about walks to our 7th hole hitter, which 12 years ago was Adam freaking Everett lol.
First Page Last Page
Page 800 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.