***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,431 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

ClickClack said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

****ing Seattle wins another 1 run game

Seattle was down 6-3 in the 8th too. ****ers.

Isn't that exactly what we did a couple times this homestand?
Did Seattle win the World Series two years ago and set a franchise record for wins last year?
mAgnoliAg
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yay we get to make good one jokes again
Harry Dunne
rosco511
AG
Going to drive yourself crazy if scoreboard watching this early in the season.
spadilly
S
From his Instagram, it looks like Blummer is at The Masters this weekend. Does this mean Stanton is in the booth this road trip?

https://instagr.am/p/BwIkigHAZ7T
titanmaster_race
spadilly said:

From his Instagram, it looks like Blummer is at The Masters this weekend. Does this mean Stanton is in the booth this road trip?

Then maybe it's a good thing I moved to the east coast
astros4545
AG
Whit Merrifiekd went 0-6 today

Goodbye hit streak
ClickClack
AG
Giles blew it and gave up 2 in the bottom of the 9th tonight to earn himself a blown save and get the Red Sox their 4th win. He almost gave it to them last time too.
astros4545
AG
ClickClack said:

Giles blew it and gave up 2 in the bottom of the 9th tonight to earn himself a blown save and get the Red Sox their 4th win. He almost gave it to them last time too.

First blown save since the 2017 playoffs
Harry Dunne
Going down an internet wormhole this morning, I came across something interesting and nostalgic.

For those of you without any gray hair, Dickie Thon was an Astros SS in the 80s who was compared to Cal Ripken and Robin Yount after a 1983 season at age 25 in which he was an All-star & came in 7th in MVP voting. He also led the league in WAR (7.4) that season after coming in 7th (6.1) the previous year, before that was a thing. On April 8, 1984 he was hit in the face by a fastball, missed the rest of the season and never fully regained his vision. He was able to play another decade in the majors and was a solid ballplayer, but was never again close to his '82-'83 form.

Anyway, I came across the ZiPS projection of the rest of his career if he hadn't been hit by that pitch...

Pretty disappointing offensive numbers for those of us who thought he was on his way to a HOF or at least to a HOVG type of career, but I guess if you factor in the fact that he was a very good defensive SS as well as the SB, you're still looking at a guy who was a 5+ WAR SS through his 20s.

I doubt that even a fully able Thon would have stuck with the club through the early 90s rebuild, but it is interesting thinking about whether the better him vs the diminished him would have made a difference on that '86 team that was so close to winning it all.
Marvin
AG
spadilly said:

https://instagr.am/p/BwIkigHAZ7T

Better leave that phone in your car, Blummer. Those Augusta folks don't play with cameras on tournament days.

Spent all 4 days at the Masters in '15. Friday was the best day and Sunday was the worst. Just wayyy too many people. I've heard the practice rounds are even better, because you CAN take cameras in Tuesday-Wednesday, although that might have changed. If you've never been, it's hard to imagine the elevation changes. I averaged 10 miles a day walking and had blisters on blisters, haha.
Mathguy64
AG
I was at the game when Thon got hit. First base side field box. You could hear the thunk. It was a sickening sound.

He had a chance to be a power hitting SS before power hitting SS's were a thing.
Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Going down an internet wormhole this morning, I came across something interesting and nostalgic.

For those of you without any gray hair, Dickie Thon was an Astros SS in the 80s who was compared to Cal Ripken and Robin Yount after a 1983 season at age 25 in which he was an All-star & came in 7th in MVP voting. He also led the league in WAR (7.4) that season after coming in 7th (6.1) the previous year, before that was a thing. On April 8, 1984 he was hit in the face by a fastball, missed the rest of the season and never fully regained his vision. He was able to play another decade in the majors and was a solid ballplayer, but was never again close to his '82-'83 form.

Anyway, I came across the ZiPS projection of the rest of his career if he hadn't been hit by that pitch...

Pretty disappointing offensive numbers for those of us who thought he was on his way to a HOF or at least to a HOVG type of career, but I guess if you factor in the fact that he was a very good defensive SS as well as the SB, you're still looking at a guy who was a 5+ WAR SS through his 20s.

I doubt that even a fully able Thon would have stuck with the club through the early 90s rebuild, but it is interesting thinking about whether the better him vs the diminished him would have made a difference on that '86 team that was so close to winning it all.
Obligatory screw you Jesse Orosco. Also, if we had Thon playing instead of Craig Reynolds maybe he doesn't hit into a double play and give Brocklander the chance to screw us by calling a CLEARLY safe Reynolds out and costing us the winning run.

Mike Scott then gets to pitch game 7 and we all know they weren't going to touch him.
fatdad84ag
AG
Thought he got beaned by Mike Torres???
ChAg1799
AG
I forgot Thon played into the late 90's.... He was one of my favorites. Those '85,'86,'88 teams had some of the best underrated guys, I loved those teams!
Mr.Ackar07
ChAg1799 said:

I forgot Thon played into the late 90's.... He was one of my favorites. Those '85,'86,'88 teams had some of the best underrated guys, I loved those teams!
He didn't. Those were projections based on his first few years in the majors. I made the same mistake too. I thought too myself: "Why don't I remember Thon playing with the Astros on those late 90s playoff teams?"
Harry Dunne
fatdad84ag said:

Pretty sure it was Marcus Buckley.
bearkatag15
AG

Cream rises to the top boys
SW-14
AG
Anyone seen if Bregman is expected to play tonight?
bearkatag15
AG
0 chance
Harry Dunne
What is the point in being so disingenuous with their reporting of injuries? I understand why football coaches do it, but in a long season like baseball does the opponent really get an advantage from knowing how long the Astros realistically expect players to be out?

Bregman's injury was described as "very minor", which in recent experience means anything from very minor to season ending. Not that it changes reality either way, but I'd like to have a better idea, just as a fan.
Prosperdick
AG
fatdad84ag said:

You're right, not sure why I thought it was Orosco. I got Brocklander right though.
Ag_07
AG
I think it has to do with their position in making roster moves and/or acquisitions.

They seem to always have multiple irons in the fire and any information on the seriousness of an injury could give another team who they're engaging an advantage.

That's the best reason I can think of.
W
AG
the first installment of Astros after dark tonight.

good time to get the taxes finished
W
AG
the Astros have another off day on Monday (4/15) and then another one on Thursday (4/18)
W
AG
didn't realize the 'stros started with 15 of 21 on the road this year.

we'll see how much overlap occurs between the Rockets' playoff games (at Toyota Center) and the next homestand that starts on the 22nd

dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
. . .
Marvin
AG
From the nothing-has-to-give department...

"Wade Miley is 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA in three career starts against Seattle. Wade LeBlanc is 1-1 with a 5.65 ERA in 10 career appearances against Houston."
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agsquirrel97
AG
Time to get hyped. Going into enemy territory versus the division leader.

Bring the bats

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat down in dinger town.
AstroAggie15
AG
**** these west coast games. I'm already to drunk to baseball
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.