***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,972 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Deluxe said:

Reddick slashing .195/.250/.241 over the past 25 games...

All of which are better numbers than Tucker's last 28 ML games

Nicely played
To add more fuel to the fire... Tucker was batting better last year at AAA compared to this year, was called up, and was pretty awful (and this was before the juiced balls hit minor leagues)...

While I'm sure the Astros have it, I wish we had his minor league splits by pitch. He was flat awful against anything with movement last year, especially down in the zone. Not a recipe for success. Alvarez has shown the ability to adapt and have professional ABs. If he had fixed his issues, the Astros would have called him up again already.
alternately, you could say that if he was unfixable they'd have shipped him off for greinke or someone else
https://ts.la/eric59704
Ag_07
AG
I'm just saying that if we're looking at small sizes let's compare apples to apples.

I just don't think they're gonna bench Josh Reddick coming down the stretch as the best team in the league.
YNWA_AG
AG
willjohnathan said:

Deluxe said:

Crazy that our lowest batting average outside of catcher in our normal lineup belongs to Bregs.
But Bregman is 3rd in the AL in OBP with .397 and 5th in OPS at .928 so his average doesn't tell the whole story
Marvin
AG
Ticket office at MMP is down to SRO tomorrow night.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mathguy64
AG
Cubs just lost their Catcher for a month. And Kimbrel and his 5.68 ERA are on the IL as of today. Cards play LAD starting tonight so they have some good incentive to put some room between them and the Cubbies.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm just saying that if we're looking at small sizes let's compare apples to apples.

I just don't think they're gonna bench Josh Reddick coming down the stretch as the best team in the league.

I'm not disagreeing with you
expresswrittenconsent
Yordan article from athletic:
Quote:

Alvarez will enter Tuesday night's game against the Rockies batting .340 with a 1.115 OPS. Through 173 plate appearances, he has 13 home runs and 14 doubles.

Consider what else he's accomplished in his first 41 games, including two of which he only pinch-hit:

Since June 9, the day of his debut, Alvarez ranks third in the majors in OPS, behind only Nelson Cruz (1.141) and Ketel Marte (1.140).
Only two players in major league history have had more extra-base hits than his 27 through their first 41 career games: Joe DiMaggio (30) and Ryan Braun (29).
He was the AL Rookie of the Month for June, his first month in the majors, despite the Astros keeping him in Triple A for the first eight days of June. He defended his claim in July and became the first AL player to win the award in consecutive months since Aaron Judge in 2017, the year Judge was Rookie of the Year and AL MVP runner-up to Altuve.
He is responsible for the longest home run at Minute Maid Park in the pitch-tracking era (since 2008) and the longest by an Astros player in the Statcast era (since 2015).

agsquirrel97
AG
BigPuma said:

AggiEE said:

I Like Turtles said:

Chances Yordan is In the lineup tomorrow?

Wouldn't mind giving him some more rest but I hope it just looked worse than it really was
We are going no DH tomorrow. Gotta let Grienke hit and lets Yordan get some rest
Wrong

Put Jake in centerfield
let Brantley DH for Jake!
????
Profit
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah. That's apples to apples.
mwm
Think I'll watch a little As vs. Cubs tonight. Kemp starting at 2B.
titanmaster_race
mwm said:

I tuned in was well. I know we're a bit spoiled with Kalas and Blummer, but good grief these cubs announcers are so incredibly boring. These guys are the reason people say baseball is boring.
Johnsy3
AG
Kemp 1-1 so far

BAL and NYY tied 6-6 in the 7th. Yankees pitching continues to look horrible
CFTXAG10
AG
mwm said:

I love when they flash the records underneath the team names. A's have 4 more wins and three less losses than the Cubs. A's 8.5 GB in division while Cubs lead NL Central.
Harry Dunne
titanmaster_race said:

mwm said:

I tuned in was well. I know we're a bit spoiled with Kalas and Blummer, but good grief these cubs announcers are so incredibly boring. These guys are the reason people say baseball is boring.
Isn't it an ESPN game?

Deshaies still does Cubs games and he's outstanding.
W
AG
we might see a 50/50 split in playing time between Jake and Reddick.

Reddick has been terrible, terrible since July 1st. He's got to turn that around. His OPS (for the season) is down to .711
W
AG
the one bugaboo with Bregman's stats is BA w/RISP.

it's dropped to .182

that is problematic for the 3 or 4-hole hitter.

by comparison Brantley is hitting .361 w/RISP. Almost double Bregman's average. That's one reason why Brantley moved up to the #3 spot
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

it's dropped to .182

by comparison Brantley is hitting .361 w/RISP. Almost double Bregman's average. That's one reason why Brantley moved up to the #3 spot

Not good but what's the obp with risp?
bearkatag15
AG
Oh boy Trienen just had an absolute bomb hit off him. Ian Happ hit the ball 474 ft
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

it's dropped to .182

Not good but what's the obp with risp?

I'm sure he's taken quite a few walks and I even recall at least one or two just awful ump calls with him at the plate but he had to realize he needs to expand his zone as the #4 to drive in runs and not just take walks unless it's obvious the pitcher is pitching around him (which should be rare the way Alvarez is going).
Harry Dunne
W said:

it's dropped to .182

It's problematic for any hitter, but it's a been shown that RISP regresses to the mean over time and his will too. On a positive note, he is hitting .714 with men on 2nd and 3rd. Unfortunately that's not going to last either.
Harry Dunne
As far as this #3 vs #4 hitter talk, there is only a negligible difference in how many times a certain position in a lineup bats with runners on base over the course of the season than another.

The higher spots in the lineup obviously bat more times over the long run but it's silly to think the cleanup hitter should have a different overall approach than say the 6 hole.
titanmaster_race
bearkatag15 said:

Oh boy Trienen just had an absolute bomb hit off him. Ian Happ hit the ball 474 ft

Wow. He's stunk this season.
CFTXAG10
AG
Cubs choking it away
agproducer
AG
Harry Dunne said:

titanmaster_race said:

mwm said:

Isn't it an ESPN game?

Deshaies still does Cubs games and he's outstanding.

JD and Brownie together in the booth was amazing. I'd like to see Kalas and JD call a game together.

Blummer is like Deshaies light.
bearkatag15
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Cubs choking it away

Cishek blows. Gets pulled finally after walking the next batter
CFTXAG10
AG
Kempin ain't easy
Agnzona
CFTXAG10 said:

Kempin ain't easy

Did anyone see Kemps backflip yesterday? Read about it but couldn't find a video?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
jja79
AG
No
bearkatag15
AG
A's lose. Division lead up to 9
CFTXAG10
AG
I thought it was a homer for sure. That play by Kemp taking one in the belt saved the game.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
YNWA_AG said:

willjohnathan said:

Deluxe said:

Crazy that our lowest batting average outside of catcher in our normal lineup belongs to Bregs.
But Bregman is 3rd in the AL in OBP with .397 and 5th in OPS at .928 so his average doesn't tell the whole story

Bregman is a perfect example of why BA can be a flawed statistic. His BABIP is also .252.
Farmer1906
AG
Looking at Bregman's #s a few things stand out. He's seeing fewer pitches in the zone so he's drawing more walks. When he does make contact his hard hit % is slightly reduced, but he's elevating more. I think that's why we're seeing fewer doubles and more home runs. He's seen fewer fastballs and getting more junk and offspeed. The change up has given him problems this year unlike last year. He's not particularly lucky or unlucky right now. He'll probably continue at this pace unless he changes something or something clicks for him this year.
cablinaggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I thought it was a homer for sure. That play by Kemp taking one in the belt saved the game.

I'm so spoiled by our pitching staff. I can't remember the last time Semien did any type of damage against us.
Kashchei
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Logos released:

They could be burnt orange for all I care - just win baby!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm going to be honest and I feel like the logo is intentionally being made a rainbow for obvious culture plugs
First Page Last Page
Page 778 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.