***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,882 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
MelvinUdall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rosco511 said:

MelvinUdall said:

It appears, at least as we look at Miley and Keuchel as they are pitching currently, the Astros are better off with Miley. Certainly, if Keuchel has been with the Astros all during training camp, the results may be different, but Miley has been better than I had expected and he appears to be getting better as the season progresses. He reminds me a lot of Keuchel with pace in which he pitches and the way he pitches.

And do not forget that Miley is only making $4.5 million this year. Just another great under the radar type move by Luhnow.

Agreed.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Personally I would really like to get Greinke, I like that he would provide more ceteran leadership, a solid proven arm, and still under contract for a few years PLUS being bale to get him hopefully without losing Tucker or Whitley, anyone after those two is expendable for him.

Ag_07
AG
Why on earth would we be in on Trey Mancini?

He's a LFer/1B. Unless we're trading someone on the 25 man I just don't see a fit.

And the only reason CLE would have for trading Bauer is they don't wanna be stuck paying him his big raise he's due in arbitration.
n_touch
been wondering that all along when they were bringing up his name
Philip J Fry
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I'd be pleased with Wheeler. Gives us the chance to not give up much (no Whitley or Tucker) and a chance to resign Cole next year. I'm doing my best to keep expectations super low.

I don't think Bauer is going anywhere.

You don't say...
CoachRTM
AG
Ag_07 said:

He's a LFer/1B. Unless we're trading someone on the 25 man I just don't see a fit.

And the only reason CLE would have for trading Bauer is they don't wanna be stuck paying him his big raise he's due in arbitration.
Yea, Mancini made some sense when Yuli was struggling and we were wondering if he was going to get it back or not. He shouldn't be a priority now that Yuli is batting with two eyes on the ball and Yordan has proven himself at DH.
Mathguy64
AG
MLBTV just proposed Thor and Diaz to the Red Sox, with the Mets getting Benintendi and a prospect in return. They are literally like monkeys throwing poo against a wall.
Juan Solo
AG
Probably Lake Eerie
Ag_07
AG
Maybe it's just in case they do trade Tucker for a starter and Mancini takes his place in the pecking order.

He's a .275 BA/30 HR/75 RBI guy making the league minimum this year and arb eligible until he's a FA in 2023.

Or if teams are asking for Tucker and we don't want deal him acquire Mancini and include him a deal for a pitcher.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachRTM said:

Ag_07 said:

Yea, Mancini made some sense when Yuli was struggling and we were wondering if he was going to get it back or not. He shouldn't be a priority now that Yuli is batting with two eyes on the ball and Yordan has proven himself at DH.
Unless they're looking to move Reddick.
mazag08
AG
Apparently Mancini is an insurance policy.

You have three starting OF'ers hitting FA after next year.

If the only way to get a starter is to give up Tucker, Mancini gives you a guy with multiple years of control who is decently proven in the OF.

I don't like it. Would rather just not give up Tucker and roll with what we've got. But if you want Thor, you might need a Mancini to lessen the blow of Tucker, and it might only cost you a couple of B arms and a C bat.
mazag08
AG
2021 starting OF of Springer (big FA contract), Mancini, and either a FA or someone like Straw is not a bad OF.
Philip J Fry
AG
What about Fisher? He proved himself capable this year.
Mathguy64
AG
Can we please fast forward to 3 pm CST tomorrow?

Trade Deadline:
DAYS
HRS
MINS
SECS
EastCoastAgNc
AG

gougler08
AG
Tucker for Boyd...go f yourself Detroit
n_touch
Doesn't hurt to ask
Ag_07
AG
Is it telling that we haven't seen Whitley's name mentioned at all in these trade discussions/rumors?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

Is it telling that we haven't seen Whitley's name mentioned at all in these trade discussions/rumors?

Well considering the hunk of **** he's been this year either nobody wants him or we have let them know he is off the table don't ask etc
Beat40
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I think Bauer's negative clubhouse aspects are overblown. Even Bregman has said there is no real beef. IMO much like Bregman, you hate him if he is not on your team but love him otherwise. Our clubhouse wants to win and will make it work. I'd rather have Thor or Greinke but will settle for Bauer. We have to make some move, standing pat will not get us a world series.
Are you certain standing pat will not get us a world series?

I want to bolster our starting rotation just as much as anyone. However, I think this team still has a chance to win another world series as it is currently constructed.

The fact that we have had injuries to 3 of our biggest impact players all at the same time and are still only 0.5 games out on the Dodgers is amazing. Listen to how the media talks about the Dodgers, what they're doing and then realize where we are in comparison.

This team is damn good as constructed. There are certainly moves that can bolster the roster, but, as I see it, we could compete and have a chance to win it all with the team as is.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thoughts on Beer, Kemp, Fisher and a young arm for Grienke and $20-$25 million
Frok
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Thoughts on Beer, Kemp, Fisher and a young arm for Grienke and $20-$25 million

I'd do it. The only real loss there is possibly Beer IMO
Teddy Perkins
AG
Good Athletic ($) article on what Wheeler gives you.

Summary: He's got a high velocity four seamer (third among starters behind Thor and Cole). High velocity slider (2nd among starters). Also has a hard curveball with good depth, change up, and rarely throws a splitter. Possible room for improvement on how he deploys his slider and curve. His curve has been outstanding all season. He goes deep in games - 7th in innings per start.

My take: this guy would be great to eat up innings down the stretch and could improve with our analytics. He's got the stuff for the Stros to help him take it to the next level.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Highlight video of Wheeler striking out 7 Pirates.

Trade Kemp and another tier B prospect and let's get it done.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

I think it's just as expected.

Because of his performance, trade value is at an all-time low & if we were actively trying to move him when we can't get as much back for him it would indicate the club doesn't believe in him.

The smart play even if we have internally decided he's not what we thought he was is to try to get him back in a position where he's at least succeeding in the minors and trade him then.

Obviously it would have been nice to have traded Fisher, Reed, Kemp & White...the Mets were even after Stassi last year...I'm feeling like I wish we had traded Whitley and Tucker now as well but those guys are still TBD...but even if we had traded all of them I doubt we could have gotten as big of a return as we get having kept Alvarez. It's not an easy call.
bullard21k
AG
So what happens to kemp if we don't trade him and isn't claimed off waivers?
Ag_07
AG
Either released outright or assigned to AAA

Not sure if he has the option to choose which one as I think that may only pertain to veterans with service time built.
Harry Dunne
He won't clear waivers. If we could get something halfway decent for Tyler White, we can definitely get something for Kemp. I don't think he has enough service time to refuse the assignment.
Mr.Ackar07
bullard21k said:

So what happens to kemp if we don't trade him and isn't claimed off waivers?
He returns to the minors, or we release him and he is a free agent.
W
AG
gougler08 said:

Tucker for Boyd...go f yourself Detroit
yep, zero credibility for anyone talking about that trade scenario
EastCoastAgNc
AG

W
AG
mazag08 said:

2021 starting OF of Springer (big FA contract), Mancini, and either a FA or someone like Straw is not a bad OF.
Good point. There will plenty of good to very good veteran outfielders hitting free agency in the next 2 years. The front office will need to find the next Reddick or Brantley
Frok
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

There's a 50/50 chance this tweet has no source and is actually just a guess
CFTXAG10
AG
Man, if the Mets don't deal Syndergaard before tomorrow that is gonna be some awkward ****

Just checked and he is scheduled to pitch tonight against the CWS
agproducer
AG
I'd be up for trading for Mancini. He would probably be an insurance policy.

Imagine the Astros trading Tucker, Kemp and a couple lottery tickets for Thor, then Beer and Uriquidy and maybe another piece for Mancini.

You get Thor and Mancini. Astros send down Straw.

So, the roster would look like this (assuming 12 pitchers):

P: JV, GC, Thor, Miley, Peacock
RP: McHugh, Harris, Devo, Osuna, Pressly, Smith, Rondon
IF: Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Diaz, Mancini
C: Chininos, Stassi
OF: Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Yordan, Marisnick

It would get sticky with 13 pitchers.
First Page Last Page
Page 707 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.