***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,273 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All part of the plan!
bearkatag15
AG

Gotta say I'm glad I'm wrong so far about Chirinos vs the other options the Astros didn't pursue.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Chirinos and Brantley have looked like good pickups
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Gotta say I'm glad I'm wrong so far about Chirinos vs the other options the Astros didn't pursue.

Way way way too early for this. However, we saw that Chirinos is a solid offensive catcher in his limited role. While Realmuto is good, he's not some dominant hitting catcher. He's the best of a meh league of hitting catchers.
. . .
W
AG
with the Astros...Chirinos can hit in the 8-hole...and just relax and play.

with the Rangers last year, he hit primarily 6th or 7th...and of course the Rangers were behind all the time. Lots more pressure to produce
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

with the Astros...Chirinos can hit in the 8-hole...and just relax and play.

with the Rangers last year, he hit primarily 6th or 7th...and of course the Rangers were behind all the time. Lots more pressure to produce
It's pretty ironic with that statement that in the last few games he has performed his best when we have been down and he has come through with a big double or home run to bring us back
W
AG
because he's relaxing in the 8-hole
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
http://www.bu.edu/today/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy/

Robo-umps here we come.

Also, I hate that Root now has the K zone on TV. It gives me a false sense of right and wrong.
rosco511
AG
Wow, that is a very interesting article. The two strike point is interesting because confirms an old adage that has been taught to hitters forever, that that strike zone expands with 2 strikes. Also, interesting that MLB does not select the best umpires for the World Series even though you know they likely have same or similar data. Finally, on the age point, it is interesting that nobody ever really raises the possibility that the skill of an umpire (just like a player) can also diminish over time. The working assumption has always been that "knowledge" and "experience" is more important than skill for umpires but calling balls and strikes correctly is certainly a skill, similar to pitch framing, that would have to diminish as eye site and motor skills deteriorate.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

because he's relaxing in the 8-hole
Totally agree. If he had to grind in the 6-hole instead of relaxing in the 8-hole, no chance he comes up with that game tying double.
DVC2010
AG
This seems like as good a time as any to post this: the Astros are undefeated in the games I've attended this season. I'll be starting a crowdfunding campaign to pay for next year's season tickets. If y'all are generous enough that I can quit my job and travel with the team, the 2020 team is going to smash some records.

Thanks for your consideration.
Deluxe
AG
Very honorable and selfless of you
astros4545
AG
For any Photoshop gurus

Someone should shop Astros players onto Game of Thrones characters for Twitter Tuesday

I feel like this could make the broadcast like the Gattis/McCann Stepbrothers pic from last year

Also, need a new desktop background
CFTXAG10
AG
astros4545 said:

For any Photoshop gurus

Someone should shop Astros players onto Game of Thrones characters for Twitter Tuesday

I feel like this could make the broadcast like the Gattis/McCann Stepbrothers pic from last year

(pictures Julia as the mother of dragons)
astros4545
AG
Or Kate
CFTXAG10
AG
Bregxit
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

astros4545 said:

For any Photoshop gurus

(pictures Julia as the mother of dragons)
Julia would be Ygritte!
CFTXAG10
AG
Low hanging fruit: Tyler White as Robert Baratheon
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ken Giles as King Joffrey (i know, former astro, but still...)
Farmer1906
AG

Can we get Blummer, Julia, & Kalas on there? Maybe Springer, Altuve, & Bregman?
Bregxit
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Nah he'd be Dontos Hollard, the idiot drunk knight who was made to be Joffrey's fool then killed by Littlefinger during Sansa's rescue.
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is good

astros4545
AG

shano0603
AG
Lady suing the Astros claiming Orbit's T-shirt cannon broke her fingers.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/sports/mlb/astros/astros-fan-sues-for-1-million-claiming-orbits-t-shirt-cannon-broke-her-finger/285-773e6374-9933-4824-acf2-ea7ed9f7f944
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
One of the worst umps last year... Joe West.
MAROON
AG
shano0603 said:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/sports/mlb/astros/astros-fan-sues-for-1-million-claiming-orbits-t-shirt-cannon-broke-her-finger/285-773e6374-9933-4824-acf2-ea7ed9f7f944
bull crap....more like she broke it after she drunkenly fell down while wresting someone else for the t-shirt.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Anecdotally, veteran umpires such as Joe West (debuted 1978), have long earned the scorn of players and fans for their proclivity for bad calls. The statistics show that West made more incorrect calls than most. In fact, behind the plate, over the last 11 seasons he has averaged 21 incorrect calls a game, or 2.3 per inning. And while Angel Hernandez (debuted 1991) receives similar fan dislike, averaging 19 incorrect calls a game, or 2.2 per inning, even with this high error rate, compared to his peers, he performed better than others, escaping the 2018 Bottom 10 MLB list.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
5 of 7 umps in last year's World Series performed under the average of MLB umps. How is this acceptable?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I wanna see that article broken down by team and year, and the relation to the teams overall success.

This article is fascinating.
Bregxit
AG
MAROON said:

shano0603 said:

bull crap....more like she broke it after she drunkenly fell down while wresting someone else for the t-shirt.

And she is an Aggie.
DVC2010
AG
MAROON said:

shano0603 said:

If you can stay for the end of the game, neither the mental nor the physical anguish is that severe.

Quote:

The woman went to the emergency room after the game where she was told she would need surgery. She later underwent two operations to fix the fracture.
The Milkman
AG
How is there not an assumption of risk in this situation?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
astros4545 said:

For any Photoshop gurus

Altuve as Tyrion
Prime0882
AG
I'm mostly a lurker, but, does Nuke LaLoosh normally respond to his own comments and semi-talk to himself?
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.