***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,464 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
n_touch said:

suburban cowboy said:

there appears to be no sense of urgency in the front office to deal prospects for MLB talent to fix the couple of flaws this team has.
That is the key word. Guarantee they are talking to people behind the scenes. Something will happen within the next few weeks. Its not like all of the other teams are slinging players around right now.

This.

Nothing is going to happen till we are close to the deadline. Every GM on a contender has spots they would like to patch up, but the market doesn't truly get set until then.

Patience grasshoppers.
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

agproducer said:

Love George, but Jake gets that ball.

Love that Jake is appealing the 2 game suspension when he hasn't played the last 2 games. Seems like the smarter play would be to just take the suspension
Gap
AG
bearkatag15 said:

agproducer said:

Love George, but Jake gets that ball.

Love that Jake is appealing the 2 game suspension when he hasn't played the last 2 games. Seems like the smarter play would be to just take the suspension
Please don't tell me he was available but just didn't play the last 2 nights and he may have to serve the suspension later.
suburban cowboy
AG
Oh and I'm on record for saying trade for deGrom. Even if it's just a rental.

Whether we like it or not, this team's window at another WS trophy is closing. Trade prospects and go win that WS now.

If I'm lunhow I take that approach and worry about restocking the farm leagues later.
redline248
AG
How often are suspensions overturned after appeal? There is probably some players union thing about appealing. Especially in a case like Jake's that seems to care more about optics than intent.
Gap
AG
Looks like Jake not playing these last 2 days was a manager decision and had zero to do with the suspension. If Jake wasn't going to start these two games (and not be a part of the plans), why in the world did Marisnick and the Astros not put their heads together and make the decision not to appeal and be done with it. Headstratchingly STUPID by an organization that I thought was smarter than that.

tamuwx
AG
Can't fix stupid. But hey analytics.
Bregxit
AG
Gap said:

Looks like Jake not playing these last 2 days was a manager decision and had zero to do with the suspension. If Jake wasn't going to start these two games (and not be a part of the plans), why in the world did Marisnick and the Astros not put their heads together and make the decision not to appeal and be done with it. Headstratchingly STUPID by an organization that I thought was smarter than that.

Easy for fans to say Jake should give up two games worth of pay.
AggiEE
Shouldn't Jake have been in CF for the 9th? You typically want your best defense out there with the game on the line.

Another Hinch blunder
Gap
AG
dlance said:

Gap said:

Easy for fans to say Jake should give up two games worth of pay.

Go team! What is the best case, reduced to one game? Why is MLB going to backtrack on everything it has done to this point?

Quote:

The suspension would cost Marisnick roughly $24K of this season's $2.212MM salary.
bearkatag15
AG

Call him up
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Just saw Lucroy spoke and was in total spin control.

https://es.pn/2XM1mQL

His quote in the 4th paragraph could not be more rehearsed "that's what the rule says I have to do so that is what I did...."

Hulla Baller
AG
Embarrassed by the rangers two games in a row.

Barf.
n_touch
Im sure he had to rehearse it. Doubt he remembers it
tamuwx
AG
The pitching has been trash, as usual in Arlington. Just f'ing embarrassing.
W
AG
Yordan passed Altuve in RBI tonight.

Yordan has 27 RBI in 80 at-bats.

Altuve has 26 RBI in 223 at-bats.

that is stunning
tamuwx
AG
I said two days ago, Altuve has bee trash outside of his homer streak. Glad he is now way ****ing overpaid.
bearkatag15
AG

This is so great
W
AG
my fear is that Hinch is so stubborn, he won't move Altuve down in the order.

can't have Yordan and Yuli hitting 5th & 6th with as hot as they are right now
astros4545
AG
Billy Chapel X 10
titanmaster_race
tamuwx said:

I said two days ago, Altuve has bee trash outside of his homer streak. Glad he is now way ****ing overpaid.

This is a terrible take.
W
AG
he won't be officially overpaid until the 2020 season.

but his knee injury from last year has a Biggio-esque look to it. (i.e. not the same player anymore after the injury)
tamuwx
AG
If you say so, he has been garbage for most of the year, but hey 30 million now. He is half of what he used to be, if even that.
AggiEE
I know Altuve has traditionally been a good hitter of bad balls but I'd really like to see him have better plate discipline and walk more.
Agmaniacmike12
suburban cowboy said:

Oh and I'm on record for saying trade for deGrom. Even if it's just a rental.

Whether we like it or not, this team's window at another WS trophy is closing. Trade prospects and go win that WS now.

If I'm lunhow I take that approach and worry about restocking the farm leagues later.
deGrom is locked up long term for a hefty price, he's not available and not really a viable option for a team that likely won't be able to pay for Cole this offseason. If we are trading for a pitcher, they will either be controllable at a cost-effective salary, a rental, or the other team will be taking back a substantial piece of salary (not likely).

I'm actually fine with taking a rental like MadBum or Wheeler if the ultimate goal is to put together a strong offer for Syndergaard in the winter. The Mets have far too many other trade pieces to worry about and Syndergaard being sold now would be selling low anyways.

If Bumgarner or Wheeler pitch well, you could potentially bring them back for around 20 mill a year if the pursuit of Thor fails. That is still a hefty sum, but way below what deGrom/Cole do or will command.

I also think the idea that this team's window is closing seems absurd. There is certainly a legitimate concern about our pitching long-term, but the position player core is locked up for the most part for the next 5 years outside of Correa/Springer(I think we could hold on to Springer). I think Straw, Alvarez, Tucker, Toro, Lee, Beer, etc. could all play a role in maintaining a strong lineup for years to come.
BMX Bandit
tamuwx said:

If you say so, he has been garbage for most of the year, but hey 30 million now. He is half of what he used to be, if even that.

30 million?
BMX Bandit
W said:

You went from saying Astros can't win unless Yuli is moved be hitting 7-9 to wanting him at 2-4

Fickle fans
Aggie8587
AG
How is that him being fickle? When Yuli was on a really bad streak, it was reasonable that he needed to be moved down in the lineup. Now that he's on fire, it would make sense to slide him up to take advantage. Now Altuve has been bad basically 90% of the year and he's hurting us in the 2 spot.

Seems to me like W wants them both to stay in the lineup but just move them around to produce more runs. What a terrible take...
BMX Bandit
So move him up, and if he does bad, he'll complain. And then say Hinch should not move guys around because major leaguers prefer to have a set spot in the lineup.

tamuwx
AG
5 years 151 million contract? It was in the news.......
bearkatag15
AG
Altuve is only making $16.5mm this year
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
After Lucroy comments, the rule needs to be revisited. Great you gave him foul territory, without the ball the catcher shouldn't get to decide what path the runner takes
redline248
AG
Some of y'all should stick to women's soccer if you can't handle losses over a 162 game season
DVC2010
AG
W said:

The numbers indicate that batting order has almost no impact on the game's outcome.
BMX Bandit
tamuwx said:

5 years 151 million contract? It was in the news.......

So when he making $30 million?
First Page Last Page
Page 572 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.