***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,430 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
MallalieuAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The catcher moved to catch the ball. I like Jake but he should have gone right. I hardly see runners slide to the left at home plate on close plays.
AggieMD95
AG
If you had slo mo maybe it showed he was not given a chance to catch it.

If he had already missed the ball before the collision I would think the run should stand.

Old school baseball that's a run all day long
HossAg
AG
Buck Compton said:

HossAg said:

Marvin said:

Jake swerved left to avoid the catcher. Lucroy moves towards the ball and they collided. How can you call that interference?

Because Jake went out of the base path. If he stayed in the base path and that happened, then that's fine.
Thats not a thing.

The rule is an unobstructed path to the base. Which Jake had the entire time if he just stayed on line. And he didn't.
Buck Compton
AG
CoachRTM said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the rule, but it looked like this to me :

1. Jake starts to go inside
2. Lucroy (looking at the ball) adjusts to the inside
3. Jake has a split-second decision to attempt to dodge the catcher or barrel him over. He ducks his head and shoulder intentionally to hit the catcher.
4. Ball gets to the catcher before Jake does.

If that means he's out, he's out.
Pretty accurate, but he didn't decide to bowl him over. Another Key piece is catcher missed the ball and it was already past him when the collision happened.

NY made an emotional call and it ****ed is. Just because it looked bad they called it. Total horse*****
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
[You are done for a while. -Staff]
tremble
AG
He didn't even catch the ball either. I'm curious to why they called it the way they did based on the fact that it never really looked like Lucroy had a real shot at it.
Just an Ag
AG
The catcher had inside position. He never left his inside position except to move up the line. I think Jake incorrectly saw the catcher moving into his line and tried to go inside to avoid him. Crash. Ny gave Jake the ticket.
Harry Dunne
Flexbone said:

Harry Dunne said:

TexAgBolter said:

Guys. He diverted left to hit him. Don't know what y'all are watching. Unfortunately for runs, good call.
this is the way I saw it. I'll be curious to see what unbiased parties have to say. I am 100% Astros and I still think Jake went into him on purpose.

You need your eyes checked.
Maybe you're right... but watching the replays it looks to me like Jake went into him on purpose. Hell fellas, I want him to be safe - I'm just telling you what I see.
BTKAG97
AG
. . . said:

From this angle, it seems obvious Jake tried to avoid contact. The "oh *****" look in Jake's eyes right before veering left suggests his intentions.
Gap
AG
That is one of the absolute worst calls I've ever seen in MLB. Lucroy is trying to block the plate without the ball. The throw is coming from RF. He has no need or purpose to be in the baseline except to block the plate . MLB just rewarded the Angels for doing exactly what they said they are trying to avoid. F-you MLB.
CFTXAG10
AG
"Might as well put them in bubble wrap if you want to call the game like that" - Lance Freaking Berkman
HossAg
AG
[You are done for a while. -Staff]
HvilleAggie
AG
I don't like the outcome but I agree with this. Lucroy moved inside to receive the throw, not necessarily to block the plate. Jake coming down the line chose an inside track before the ball arrived which tells me he chose not to shy away from contact. Result was unfortunate but avoidable.
Frok
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

"Might as well put them in bubble wrap if you want to call the game like that" - Lance Freaking Berkman

Correa probably does need bubble wrap
W
AG
Jake tried to avoid contact, but ultimately he didn't.

that's what New York didn't like
mwm
Take it outside, boys.
W
AG
um, better get Fletcher here
Harry Dunne
Frok said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Correa probably does need bubble wrap
he just needs a new girlfriend.
sts7049
AG
i love blummer but i wouldn't be upset if berkman replaced him permanently
W
AG
whew, Reddick catches the liner
6-4-3
AG
It was typical of what we see now in sports where sometimes the violence of the play (and the fact that a dude was knocked out and laying there with a bloody face) just LOOKS like something that someone in their ivory tower in NYC must do something about. And they did.

Marisnick is going very fast down the line and must make a split second decision at some point which direction to take and he did. Lucroy followed him to that spot. And was still moving when Marisnick hit him... I would have supported the call had Lucroy been stationed somewhere and never moved. But he couldn't do it in that situation. So it should have been a no call. Completely agree with Berkman on that.
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

Jake tried to avoid contact, but ultimately he didn't.

that's what New York didn't like
New York ruled like they did because it looked violent and Lucroy was knocked out. That's it. It was an emotional one, not a rational one.
Bregxit
AG
Game should be over
W
AG
Angels' bullpen will have to get 6 more outs (for LAAA to win)
Harry Dunne
Good thing we pinch ran Jake. Yordan would have literally killed Lucroy.

Kashchei
AG
I'm still waiting for a call from NY to benefit the Stros...
W
AG
next time maybe Straw pinch runs
Buck Compton
AG
Weekend Commuter said:

It was typical of what we see now in sports where sometimes the violence of the play (and the fact that a dude was knocked out and laying there with a bloody face) just LOOKS like something that someone in their ivory tower in NYC must do something about. And they did.

Marisnick is going very fast down the line and must make a split second decision at some point which direction to take and he did. Lucroy followed him to that spot. And was still moving when Marisnick hit him... I would have supported the call had Lucroy been stationed somewhere and never moved. But he couldn't do it in that situation. So it should have been a no call. Completely agree with Berkman on that.
Completely agree.

Catchers aren't allowed to post up in the line without the ball or being in the act of catching the ball. Lucroy did (instead of just inside the line), making Jake have a decision at all. If Lucroy isn't first breaking a rule, Marisnick would have slid outside.
Bregxit
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Good thing we pinch ran Jake. Yordan would have a literally killed Lucroy.

Yordan would have been out by 40 feet
HossAg
AG
Here's the explanation everyone in here needs to ****ing read. The rule states that the runner has the right to an unobstructed base path that the catcher cannot block. I have no issue with contact being made in that scenario. What Jake should have done is just stick to the base path and if Lucroy was in the way, plow him. But he didn't, and I don't care what his intention was, he ended up jumping out of the base path towards the catcher and ****in nailing him, and that's gonna be called out every time based on the intent of the rule. If he had just stayed in the base path, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because he would have either scored effortlessly or hit Lucroy in a 100% indisputable legal play.
CFTXAG10
AG
Time to start teaching Chirinos how to lower his shoulder and flop at the plate on a close play
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Can't wait for the post game
Buck Compton
AG
HossAg said:

Here's the explanation everyone in here needs to ****ing read. The rule states that the runner has the right to an unobstructed base path that the catcher cannot block. I have no issue with contact being made in that scenario. What Jake should have done is just stick to the base path and if Lucroy was in the way, plow him. But he didn't, and I don't care what his intention was, he ended up jumping out of the base path towards the catcher and ****in nailing him, and that's gonna be called out every time based on the intent of the rule. If he had just stayed in the base path, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because he would have either scored effortlessly or hit Lucroy in a 100% indisputable legal play.
You're blind. Jake's ass hit the plate as he ran through Lucroy. I'd say that's a decent path to the plate.
Deluxe
AG
I'll be interested to see what Hinch says after the game. Catchers blocking the plate seems to be more common this year than years past. There was a play a few weeks ago where Yuli had no path to the plate on a game winner and ended up going to the side and sliding his arm under the catchers leg. Wonder if Hinch said "next time that happens, take him out"
. . .
First Page Last Page
Page 528 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.