***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,033 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Miley is a good 3 but will he be by then playoffs. These guys wear out, see JV right now. We need a guy who could either be a 2 or 3.
Ag_07
AG
Finding a controllable #3 is also a play for next year when the only pitcher we have locked up are JV and LMJ coming of TJ surgery.

Yeah we could resign Cole and Miley but if we learned anything last year it's that you can't assume anyone will resign with you.

It's hard to imagine but the rotation is a BIG concern next year and nabbing a solid #2/#3 who can slot in behind JV or Lance is pretty imperative. So why not do it now and have him for the stretch run this year?
Agnzona
I'm a little worried about the Yankees this year rocking JV and Cole.
Buck Compton
AG
I was flamed a start or two ago for saying JV needs to get his **** together. He leads the league in homers allowed and it's not even close. We had some offensive failures today, but your ace can't be doing what JV is doing right now. He has been below average for a month or so now. He needs to figure it out over the ASB.

As for the guy who was in despair about our WS chances, you obviously don't watch a lot of other teams. Everyone has issues. We had an injury gauntlet and still have one of the best records in the league against one of the tougher schedules. There's really only one move to make, and it's for a SP. can't believe people actually want to make a move at C...

Tell me a team that has a better on paper team than this in the playoffs (or point out a glaring weakness):

Starters:
JV
Cole
Syndergard/Stroman/etc.
Miley

Lineup:
Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Brantley
Alvarez
Correa
Yuli
Chirinos
Reddick

Straw
Stassi
Marisnick
Diaz

Bullpen:
McHugh
Peacock
Rondon
Harris
Pressly
Osuna
(Below only in a blowout)
Devo
James

Smith might be somewhere in that pen, too
dshedd41
S
Thats a pretty solid lineup if you ask me. I'm not really worried about these guys at all. I guess my biggest gripe is the consistency of these guys. You beat one a team 10-0, then lose the next day by the same score.
Gig’em Aggies!
CoachRTM
AG
I still think there's a shot that Whitley may get it together enough to be a September call up and either take James' spot as the long reliever or fill in as that 3/4 starter with Miley.

I wouldn't gamble my chances at a championship on it right now, but something worth monitoring going forward.
Frok
AG
I still wish we could see what Tucker can do but I get there is no room.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Ags #1
AG
8,9 black hole this game
W
AG
classic Hinch...

Brantley has 4 hits on Friday night...please take a seat on the bench for Saturday's game
Mr.Bond
AG
Supposedly MB has some soreness in his legs.

But it's the Astros, I trust gas station sushi more than I do them telling the truth
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

agsquirrel97
AG
Ags #1 said:

8,9 black hole this game

But 1,2,3 were black holes yesterday. Don't hear anyone screaming when they are in the lineup.

I guess we are supposed to trot out the same 9 person batting order every day?

I'll bet a month of posting that 8,9 don't go 0-fee like 1,2,3 yesterday? You in? Take the bet.
12law
AG
If we get another starter, I dont think Devo makes a playoff roster.
redline248
AG
I'd say Jake is more likely to get a hit than White. 1-3 doesn't catch any (or as much) flak because they are all proven to be bona fide stars.
bullard21k
AG
12law said:

If we get another starter, I dont think Devo makes a playoff roster.

Devo nor James should make the playoff roster. Neither are good, both have serious control issues and are giant liabilities in high leverage situations.

CFTXAG10
AG
Game is on Fox tonight. Lovely....
W
AG
I would expect Josh James to be a big piece (or the big piece) in any trade deadline deal for a starter

(since Osuna in under team control thru the 2021 season)
W
AG
going with Robert and Sparky on the AM dial
Bregxit
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Game is on Fox tonight. Lovely....

Being a popular team has its drawbacks. This is one for sure.
12law
AG
James has electric stuff. Great slider and fastball, ok changeup. If he can just command his stuff, he'll be dominant.
cap-n-jack
Do we know what happened to Skaggs yet? Seems undiagnosed heart conditions is prevalent in athletes deaths.
W
AG
Cole in a mini-jam in the 1st
dshedd41
S
Where is the crowd this game?
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
Cole escapes.

time for the top of the order to get after it
Kashchei
AG
Nationally televised games means we're good. I'll take it...
W
AG
bunt single for Altuve
cap-n-jack
pretty
Kashchei
AG
Let's keep talking about morbid stuff instead of the game...
Agnzona
cap-n-jack said:

Do we know what happened to Skaggs yet? Seems undiagnosed heart conditions is prevalent in athletes deaths.

Rumor is he was a known drug user and his family has already requested the autopsy be kept private. I got that from a sister of a current scout.
W
AG
Angels' leftys really trying to go against the shift
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
cap-n-jack
So why would a guy who makes millions with his body do that to his body?
And don't they test for that *****
Kashchei
AG
Altuve doesn't trust Tubby with the pop up
bullard21k
AG
12law said:

James has electric stuff. Great slider and fastball, ok changeup. If he can just command his stuff, he'll be dominant.

We said the same thing about Ken Giles. When you only have 2 pitches and your fastball is flat like James and Giles both are, "command" is the only thing you have to rely on. If you can't locate you aren't usable when it's high leverage.

Everybody is hoping James is the next billy Wagner or some stopper bc he throws hard and his brief stint last year. Now there is film on him and hitters have seen his stuff, book is out on him and he's been bad this year as a result. Imo he's just like numerous 2 pitch relief pitchers who never pan out. Throw hard but no location and if they can't get the slider over they are worthless

Hope to be wrong but he's a carbon copy of Ken Giles to me and I think hinch is running out of patience with him and devo both.
Bregxit
AG
Kashchei said:

Altuve doesn't trust Tubby with the pop up

That's the second baseman's ball.
First Page Last Page
Page 514 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.