***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,402 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Random complaint.......first game I've been to this year. It is a sauna in here tonight. The smoke from the train doesn't move.
Mr.Bond
AG
When they open the roof it takes at least 2 days to cool down. Especially in the upper deck
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
last call...here we go
mwm
Good Cherrios.
Mr.Bond
AG
Springer Walk Off
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

cap-n-jack
Beautiful throw by Cheerios
Texas A&M
But with no game yesterday, it seems like it shouldn't be an issue.
W
AG
no pinch hitter for Chirinos.

Kemp hitting for Straw instead
Ag_07
AG
It's open on off days when there's no chance for rain.

Grass needs sunlight to grow

Where you sitting because if it's 300s or 400s it's just always hot as shlt up there.
W
AG
full count...huge pitch coming up
W
AG
Luhnow has 26 days to get help at catcher
W
AG
George needs to swing for the fence.

I'm confident he will
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Don't pitchers have to come set? How is this wobble coming set?
Mr.Bond
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Springer Walk Off

Not the walkoff I was hoping for

Mr.Bond
AG
Texas A&M said:

But with no game yesterday, it seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

See post above

mwm
George had a pitch to hit & he missed it badly.
cap-n-jack
Need to win the next 2
W
AG
and that's why Tucker needs to be on the big league club.

the Astros' bench is very weak. No power or decent average threat
CFTXAG10
AG
The solo shot to Trout and coming up empty with runners at 2nd/3rd no outs. Brutal. Lets get back on track tomorrow.
Mr.Bond
AG
And the 3 bombs given by our ace

Beat40
W said:

Luhnow has 26 days to get help at catcher
Catcher is fine. Before today's game, Robinson's OBP and OPS was higher than Yuli, Altuve, Marisnik, Reddick, and Kemp.

His OBP and OPS is in the same ball park as Brantely.

Plus, his defense has been good (much better at slowing the run game than the past 2 years) and he handle's the pitchers well.

The issue is not catcher. It's another starter, bull pen help, and maybe a solid 1B (I don't believe it's as big of an issue as people think once Carlos gets back).

Also, tonight's game was lost by the top of the order.
W
AG
Altuve is crazy streaky.

the last 2 games...he's 0 for 8.

the 2 games prior...7 for 10.

the 2 games prior to that...0 for 8
Texas A&M
Lesson learned. Don't buy a seat in the 300s between June - mid September.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Kashchei
AG
Unless Luhnow makes a splash trade or two, I don't see this team winning a WS this year. They don't have the bats of 2017 or the pitching of 2018.

Flame away.
W
AG
as the season goes along though...what a player did in April becomes a lesser part of the evaluation going forward. Especially for a catcher. Fatigue starts taking a toll. Last year McCann had a similar fade
AggiEE
Kashchei said:

Unless Luhnow makes a splash trade or two, I don't see this team winning a WS this year. They don't have the bats of 2017 or the pitching of 2018.

Flame away.

I'd argue the offense is better, especially when
Correa gets back. Relief is potentially better or the same.

We really only need another reliable starter,
Beat40
But it's not our most pressing need. You can win a WS with a catcher who hits between .225 and .250. We did it in 2017 as McCann batted .241.

If we don't address an additional 3rd starter or middle relief in the bullpen, it's not going to matter if our catcher is hitting .280. Also, what catcher is available who isn't facing the same end of year fatigue that Robinson would be facing?

My point is in reality you cannot upgrade every position of need each year. I'd rather roll with Chirinos' defense and game calling, another 3rd starter, and some good middle relief than upgrade the C and miss out on the others.

Plus, if any of the three of Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Brantely, Yuil, and Correa are clicking, you won't even notice Robinson.
Beat40
AggiEE said:

Kashchei said:

Flame away.

I'd argue the offense is better, especially when
Correa gets back. Relief is potentially better or the same.

We really only need another reliable starter,
I agree with you. I think the offense is absolutely good enough to win it all.

The back end of the bullpen is significantly better than in 2017.

I worry more about that 3rd starter as you said and a reliable middle relief pitcher out of the BP. Maybe a reliable LHP out of the bulllpen.

Another reliable 3rd starter with JV, Cole, and Miley and you're looking at a stout contender.
R-Dog
AG
So is Miley your #3 or not? If he is, then you are looking for a #4...and unless the Division Series goes 5 games and you have to go back to JV in game 5, you are talking about a guy that will only pitch once in a 5 or 7 game series...cause JV has 1 and 5, Cole has 2 and 6 and Miley 3 and 7. That hardly seems like a make or break proposition. The World Series has a fixed starting date so assuming JV throws games 1 and 5 of the LCS, he has no worse than regular rest for Game 1.

Now if you are talking about someone who would obviously be slotted ahead of Miley, that's different. But if you're thinking about going to get a Miley equivalent, I think it would be better suited on a BP arm or even another bat. Let Josh James or McHugh be your game 4 guy and use your resources elsewhere.
tjack16
AG
I worry about going into the postseason with only 3 solid starters... especially given the amount of homeruns JV and Cole have been giving up

We have to make a trade for a #2/3 caliber starter, and slide Miley to the #4 slot
bearkatag15
AG
Astros are 5th in the league in giving up HRs with 135 after tonight. Angels, Mariners, Phillies and Orioles are the only teams worse.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/sort/homeRuns/type/expanded/order/true

Pretty much every other stat is top 5 in the league. Astros have even given up the least hits in the league before tonight's game.
AggiEE
R-Dog said:

So is Miley your #3 or not? If he is, then you are looking for a #4...and unless the Division Series goes 5 games and you have to go back to JV in game 5, you are talking about a guy that will only pitch once in a 5 or 7 game series...cause JV has 1 and 5, Cole has 2 and 6 and Miley 3 and 7. That hardly seems like a make or break proposition. The World Series has a fixed starting date so assuming JV throws games 1 and 5 of the LCS, he has no worse than regular rest for Game 1.

Now if you are talking about someone who would obviously be slotted ahead of Miley, that's different. But if you're thinking about going to get a Miley equivalent, I think it would be better suited on a BP arm or even another bat. Let Josh James or McHugh be your game 4 guy and use your resources elsewhere.

Ideally we'd have someone ahead of Miley with team control for the next few years that can lessen the potential loss of Cole.

But even if we get a Miley equivalent I think that's essential, because then your longer middle relief role goes to Peacock or McHugh.

I think Josh James still has a long way to go on dealing with his control issues and McHugh is much better in relief.

Aren't we supposed to get Smith soon? Hopefully he can be effective for relief as well.

Even if we did nothing, as long as our players remain healthy, we'd still have a great shot. We have one of the best records in baseball despite all the injuries.
W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Astros are 5th in the league in giving up HRs with 135 after tonight. Angels, Mariners, Phillies and Orioles are the only teams worse.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/sort/homeRuns/type/expanded/order/true

Pretty much every other stat is top 5 in the league. Astros have even given up the least hits in the league before tonight's game.
unfortunately that's going to be a big concern / big issue in playoff matchups vs. the Twins and/or Yankees. They both hit a ton of homers. That's their game.

JV starting game 1 of a series at Yankee Stadium...well, the Astros will need to score runs for him
agsquirrel97
AG
R-Dog said:

It is a valid point you make, but I think a #3 or #4 in the 2nd half of the season helps our BP get some rest as well. The BP is gonna be running on fumes if we continue to send out 2 starters a week who can't get through 5 innings.
First Page Last Page
Page 513 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.