***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,359 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Safe at Home said:

Quote:

White down to .224

I wonder how many MLB hitters batting average is lower than their weight?
If he can hit his weight you might as well go ahead and order the plaque for Cooperstown.
W
AG
apparently Musgrove has been pushed to Thursday.

Pirates' starter tbd for tomorrow
W
AG
if Stassi doesn't start hitting soon, then catcher will also be on Luhnow's deadline shopping list.

Chirinos is slowing down somewhat
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

if Stassi doesn't start hitting soon, then catcher will also be on Luhnow's deadline shopping list.

Jesus some of you guys are insufferable. One bad week does not mean to make a move at the deadline.

We're not picking up a starter AND a catcher AND a first baseman.

Chirinos has an OPS of .850 OPS+ of 126. A week ago he was coming off a run of 6 HRs in 9 games. He had an RBI tonight. Has he hit wellduring the losing streak? No. News flash... no one did.
agsquirrel97
AG
W said:

Do not distract the front office.

Pitching, we need lock down pitching!
redline248
AG
How does MLB define "qualifiers" for batting? Every time I try to sort by DH I get no players returned.

I guess, what site should I use for looking at a player's stats compared to his peers?
agdaddy04
AG
redline248 said:

How does MLB define "qualifiers" for batting? Every time I try to sort by DH I get no players returned.

I guess, what site should I use for looking at a player's stats compared to his peers?

Isn't it 4 PAs per game?
agdaddy04
AG
Never mind, it's 3.1 per
TRM
AG
It's 3.1 plate appearances per game.
Agmaniacmike12
It's a little early to worry about Chirinos. With Stassi's injury, he is on pace to play more games and have more plate appearances than at any point in his career.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Maybe they want to make a meaningless backup catcher addition if they think Stassi won't be completely healthy, but Chirinos is the starting catcher on this team and that's not changing anytime soon.

i expect he'll get some rest in the 2nd half but to say we need to be shopping for a catcher because Chirinos had a bad week is a bit knee jerky.
rosco511
AG
And not sure how many times it has to be said, but Stassi's value is in his receiving/framing. He is one of the best in baseball at it, so the Astros accept the low offensive production as a trade off for being a plus defensively.
Farmer1906
AG
We can afford to have an avg to below avg hitting catcher when 1 thru 8 is the best 1 thru 8 in baseball.

I think the Yankees can make some argument, but I wouldn't trade with them if both are healthy.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. I think the reason you'd consider grabbing a veteran catcher is to shoulder some of the burden in the second half when we rest Chirinos. He's already caught 60 games and, ideally, I don't think we want him out there for more than 100-110 regular season games. His career high is 113 and that didn't include a playoff run.

I suspect we'll explore the market for depth like we did for Maldy last year... a veteran expiring contract that won't cost us much in terms of prospects. But like Farmer said, if we have to go through a 20 game stretch with Stubbs/Stassi as our catcher options, it's not the end of the world. Our 1-8 is plenty good enough to make up for their offensive inadequacies.

Regardless of what we do, Chirinos is our guy when the games are meaningful.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
But knee jerk is the name of the game on this particular TexAgs thread!!
redline248
AG
cpsencik04 said:

But knee jerk is the name of the game on this particular TexAgs thread!!

Just this one?
Deluxe
AG
Has it been noted on here that Bregman is dating an Aggie?

(on the left, obviously)
redline248
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bk_BT3kHkfo
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I actually think Bregman could do better with 100mill in his back pocket
Unless she likes butt stuff and lacks a gag reflex
k20dub
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I actually think Bregman could do better with 100mill in his back pocket
Unless she likes butt stuff and lacks a gag reflex
CFTXAG10
AG
I think he was dating Hannah Cormier at one point....

Instagram
W
AG
perhaps to clarify...Chirinos is fine as the Astros #1 catcher for the playoffs.

but as mentioned above...he needs to be spelled more often in the second half to avoid his wearing down.

and Stassi is not the answer as the backup if he's going to hit a paltry .190 with an abysmal .495 OPS.

----

facing playoff matchups vs. the Twins and Yankees...probably cannot afford to have any dud spots in the order
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Personally I'd say the Aggie is better
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
W said:

perhaps to clarify...Chirinos is fine as the Astros #1 catcher for the playoffs.

but as mentioned above...he needs to be spelled more often in the second half to avoid his wearing down.

and Stassi is not the answer as the backup if he's going to hit a paltry .190 with an abysmal .495 OPS.

----

facing playoff matchups vs. the Twins and Yankees...probably cannot afford to have any dud spots in the order

Stasis is a backup catcher....what kind of production do you expect from a backup and a catcher at that which is a lower production position. And he is there for his defense
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
redline248 said:

https://instagr.am/p/Bk_BT3kHkfo

That girl is smoking hot... but her other blonde friend has her beat

https://instagr.am/p/Bnh1UL-B5mB
dshedd41
S
Who are these ladies?
Gig’em Aggies!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
White shirt is Bergman's girlfriend. She is an Aggie, so it applies. Her friend in the black, also an Aggie, is smoking...
Ag_07
AG
Let's just hope she doesn't start her own YouTube channel and vlog.

Then we can get worried.
Deluxe
AG
Bregman: All Star MVP, World Series walk off, $100 mil
Bregman GF: 74-72
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

----

Yes you can. Every single team has them. How often are you playing your backup in the playoffs anyway?
Frok
AG
Can Tucker catch?
CFTXAG10
AG
Don't forget to vote! Open until tomorrow afternoon.

Link to All Star Ballot
ebtexag12
AG
That's Ty Slanina's sister. He was committed to Sherman but then sumlin cut him loose so he ended up at Tcu. She is a smoke show
tjack16
AG
voting for the All Star game is hard. I want as many Astros in and starting as possible... but it's hard to vote for Altuve and Correa over the other guys at their positions based on this season alone.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 457 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.