***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,031 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
JDUB08AG
AG
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I could get on board with any of those options...

Yeah I'd be down with either one

But jeez Seth Lugo is making only $591K and controllable for another 3 years. Yes. Please.

And he's a high spin rate guy IIRC. Strom could work wonders with him.

**EDIT - Yes he is. Here's an article from 2016 when he set the CB spin rate record.

https://www.mlb.com/news/seth-lugo-sets-statcast-curveball-spin-record/c-198720622

Quote:

Since then, Lugo has continued setting curveball spin marks. Here's the list of highest average spin among all pitchers who have thrown at least 50 curves in the 2015-16 Statcast era.

Highest average curveball spin, 2015-16, minimum 50 pitches (326 qualified pitchers)

1. 3,337 rpm -- Lugo
2. 3,100 rpm -- Richards
3. 3,000 rpm -- Jesse Hahn
4. 2,970 rpm -- Charlie Morton
5. 2,953 rpm -- Scott Oberg
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I could get on board with any of those options...

Yeah I'd be down with either one

But jeez Seth Lugo is making only $591K and controllable for another 3 years. Yes. Please.

And he's a high spin rate guy IIRC. Strom could work wonders with him.

**EDIT - Yes he is. Here's an article from 2016 when he set the CB spin rate record.

https://www.mlb.com/news/seth-lugo-sets-statcast-curveball-spin-record/c-198720622

Quote:

Since then, Lugo has continued setting curveball spin marks. Here's the list of highest average spin among all pitchers who have thrown at least 50 curves in the 2015-16 Statcast era.

Highest average curveball spin, 2015-16, minimum 50 pitches (326 qualified pitchers)

1. 3,337 rpm -- Lugo
2. 3,100 rpm -- Richards
3. 3,000 rpm -- Jesse Hahn
4. 2,970 rpm -- Charlie Morton
5. 2,953 rpm -- Scott Oberg

Lugo would cost a fortune but as you have laid out. Would be a stud candidate to flourish here.
Farmer1906
AG
I want Thor. I would give up a very big package for it. He's the guy who could push us over the top this year and be a #1-3 type over the next 2 years.
Marvin
AG
Is there a site that lists relative trade value of players- like a Blue Book type of deal? Would be fun to see what a player's return would be... say Mad Bum, Stroman, or Lugo right now. What's the relative trade value of a Tucker or Martin, so to speak? Like the 247 recruiting calculator.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I want Thor. I would give up a very big package for it.

I'm desperately trying not to make a joke from this..............
Phrasing
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

I want Thor. I would give up a very big package for it.

I'm desperately trying not to make a joke from this..............
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I want Thor. I would give up a very big package for it. He's the guy who could push us over the top this year and be a #1-3 type over the next 2 years.
Huge package
spadilly
S
Ag_07
AG
Surprised AJ isn't splitting up Brantley and Alvarez with a righty.

But GD that 1-5 looks nice
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Surprised AJ isn't splitting up Brantley and Alvarez with a righty.

But GD that 1-5 looks nice
Where does Correa hit in that lineup? I don't see him coming back higher than 6th
W
AG
Correa will hit 6th.

it will be interesting to see how the 1 thru 5 slots ebb & flow the rest of the season.

the one small issue with Brantley hitting in front of Alvarez is the GiDP. Brantley has 14 already. Hate to see a rally end with Yordan in the ondeck circle.

also Bregman has walked 58 times this season...and should easily surpass 100 walks. That sets up a lot of GiDP situations for Brantley. Nice problem to have I suppose
TREX01
What is Brantley going to do with Yordan behind him?
CFTXAG10
AG

bearkatag15
AG
I'm thinking about wasting some cash on prop bets for tonight's game. From this list who has be best shot of going yard tonight:

Ag13
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'm thinking about wasting some cash on prop bets for tonight's game. From this list who has be best shot of going yard tonight:

Statistically speaking, Yordan.

****Past performance is no guarantee of future results****
Ag_07
AG
All of them

Moran, Bell, and Marte all in the first

MelvinUdall
I think when Correa comes back, you sandwich him in between Brantley and Alvarez. Regardless of what Hinch decides to do, 1-9 will be filthy.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Brantley
Correa
Alvarez
Gurriel
Chirinos
Reddick

Only reason I am placing Reddick 9th is Hinch's lineups where he places speed in the 9 spot.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Logic is sound but I hate seeing Alvarez, our new shiny toy, batting 6th.
CSWendt
I can't see Correa not in the 4th spot if he's healthy and performing.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Brantley
Correa
Alvarez

This is how 1-5 was set up before the injuries, and the team was scoring a lot of runs. I expect it to go back to this. As for Alvarez, even with what he's done so far, he's still a rookie and the other 5 guys have proven themselves far beyond Alvarez.

*EDIT* swapped Brantley and Correa after looking at past lineups.
Marvin
AG
CSWendt said:

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Brantley
Alvarez

This is how 1-5 was set up before the injuries, and the team was scoring a lot of runs. I expect it to go back to this. As for Alvarez, even with what he's done so far, he's still a rookie and the other 5 guys have proven themselves far beyond Alvarez.

I don't see Brantley behind Correa. He'a a better hitter, plus it gives you a right handed bat between him and Alvarez to limit situational pitching changes. That might not be as big a thing these days but it doesn't hurt.

But AJ never listens to me, so you may be right. LOL.
MelvinUdall
Marvin said:

CSWendt said:

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Brantley
Alvarez

I don't see Brantley behind Correa. He'a a better hitter, plus it gives you a right handed bat between him and Alvarez to limit situational pitching changes. That might not be as big a thing these days but it doesn't hurt.

But AJ never listens to me, so you may be right. LOL.

That was my thought, breaking up the two lefties with Correa would make sense.
. . .
CSWendt
I stand corrected. Just went back to look at past box scores this season, and Correa batted 5th behind Brantley. I'm assuming it will stay the same when Correa comes back
Mr.Bond
AG
Love AJ
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr President Elect
AG
Am I the only one thinking we should start protecting Alvarez in the lineup with someone other than Yuli?

Edit:
Maybe Like:
Springer
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Altuve (until he gets out of his funk)
Beat40
I think you guys overthink things a little too much.

Put Springer, Bregman, Altuve 1-3, play eenie, meenie, miney, mo on Brantley, Correa, Alvarez 4-6, and watch fireworks.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Andyzipp
AG
willjohnathan said:

Am I the only one thinking we should start protecting Alvarez in the lineup with someone other than Yuli?

Edit:
Maybe Like:
Springer
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Altuve (until he gets out of his funk)
Point of order, but Altuve is batting .369 over his last 4 games with two doubles and a homer. Certainly not completely back, but also certainly getting better.
Deluxe
AG
How bout this:

Springer
Alvarez
Altuve
Bregman
Brantley
Correa

Force the pitcher to face Springer and Alvarez 1-2. Then go from a 6'6 lefty to a 5'6 righty.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/aj-hinch-on-carlos-correa-in-all-star-game
Quote:

Right-handed pitcher Corbin Martin, the Astros' No. 4 prospect by MLB Pipeline, is in Houston this week being examined by team doctors after suffering a potentially serious elbow injury during his start Sunday for Triple-A Round Rock against Iowa. Martin was pulled after giving up three earned runs and six hits, while striking out five in four innings.
"He came out and didn't feel right with his elbow, so we brought him to Houston and he's being evaluated," Astros president of baseball operations and general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "We're currently waiting for diagnosis and figure out what we're going to do."
Martin started five games for the Astros earlier this season, going 1-1 with a 5.59 ERA.
JABQ04
AG
Calling Springer Dinger 1st AB!!!
Mathguy64
AG
I <3 Springer. I'm not ashamed to say it.
bearkatag15
AG
Safe to say vintage Altuve is back
First Page Last Page
Page 454 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.