***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,396 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigPuma
AG
redline248 said:

You guys don't really believe that story, do you?
it's the same story that has been posted on TexAgs and other intrawebz forums. Insert name of scape goat athlete, rinse, and repeat
redline248
AG
I've never seen the story, but I knew it was fake. Others apparently haven't seen it before, either.
Mathguy64
AG
Well the Yankees just completed their internal half of the E trade. They were maxxed on the 40 man, so someone had to go down. They just sent down Clint Frazier. 11 HRs and 34 RBI, .283/.330/.513 in 53 games. That's a big bat going down.

This trade may mess up their clubhouse. Wait until Judge and Stanton come back and 2 more guys go. Some speculation that Brett Gardner may get cut.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
No one in the Yankees gives a **** about Clint Frazier unless they were getting custom Nike cleats.
Hulla Baller
AG
mathguy86 said:

Well the Yankees just completed their internal half of the E trade. They were maxxed on the 40 man, so someone had to go down. They just sent down Clint Frazier. 11 HRs and 34 RBI, .283/.330/.513 in 53 games. That's a big bat going down.

This trade may mess up their clubhouse. Wait until Judge and Stanton come back and 2 more guys go. Some speculation that Brett Gardner may get cut.
bearkatag15
AG

Chirinos up to 3rd in AL all star voting

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
k20dub
AG
BigPuma said:

redline248 said:

You guys don't really believe that story, do you?
it's the same story that has been posted on TexAgs and other intrawebz forums. Insert name of scape goat athlete, rinse, and repeat
I don't get why someone would post that as a joke? It's not funny...
bearkatag15
AG

W
AG
the Reds starter tonight is their best:

Luis Castillo...6-1 with 2.20 ERA in 14 starts
Buck Compton
AG
Chirinos is going to be victim to being on a team full of all-stars. The only way he gets in, IMO, is in the initial vote and no way he beats out Sanchez there. There's too many roster spots to fill with spares from the Orioles, etc. since every team has to get represented.

His only other chance is someone like Altuve or Springer passing based on injury and they take the extra catcher instead of another position player.
Farmer1906
AG
Buck Compton said:

Chirinos is going to be victim to being on a team full of all-stars. The only way he gets in, IMO, is in the initial vote and no way he beats out Sanchez there. There's too many roster spots to fill with spares from the Orioles, etc. since every team has to get represented.

His only other chance is someone like Altuve or Springer passing based on injury and they take the extra catcher instead of another position player.
That and catchers have been awesome so far.

He's probably the 3rd most deserving at this point.
Ag_07
AG
Do Garver and Castro even qualify with so few ABs?
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

Would be pretty $h1tty to cut Gardner like that after all these years.
Harry Dunne
bullard21k said:

Deluxe said:

cpsencik04 said:

Personally I think Fisher needs to be trade bait #1 right now. Add in a young Arm, if someone is interested Kemp and throw in White (not because he's worth the plane ticket but just to say you traded him instead of cut him)
Agreed. I think we need to be looking to move Fisher, Reed, White, Kemp, Deetz and Rodgers at the deadline. They've kinda proven everything they can prove at AAA, but they don't really fit into our long term plan. They're just kinda wasting space on our 40 currently and we've got guys like Whitley, Beer, JBB, Toro, etc who will need protection in the next year or two.

If we can include them in a package for a stud starting pitcher, great. But I think there's other options as well...

-Flip them for younger, higher upside prospects (kinda like we did in trading JD Davis for Luis Santana)
-Package a few of them with Yuli and see if we can get a team to take his $8.4 million off our hands next year
-Grab a vet lefty bullpen option or vet backup catcher

I think kemp has more viable long term productivity than any of those other guys imo.

I think if he gets 350 ABs and consistent playing time he's a player that would be in the .265 range and put up consistent numbers and a good OBP
I agree, but those are only good numbers @ 2b, not as a poor defensive corner OF. I think he has trade value for a team that can use him primarily as a 2b and I think he would start there for a lot of teams...but will be stuck behind Altuve and Diaz here.
bullard21k
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bullard21k said:

Deluxe said:

cpsencik04 said:

Personally I think Fisher needs to be trade bait #1 right now. Add in a young Arm, if someone is interested Kemp and throw in White (not because he's worth the plane ticket but just to say you traded him instead of cut him)
Agreed. I think we need to be looking to move Fisher, Reed, White, Kemp, Deetz and Rodgers at the deadline. They've kinda proven everything they can prove at AAA, but they don't really fit into our long term plan. They're just kinda wasting space on our 40 currently and we've got guys like Whitley, Beer, JBB, Toro, etc who will need protection in the next year or two.

If we can include them in a package for a stud starting pitcher, great. But I think there's other options as well...

-Flip them for younger, higher upside prospects (kinda like we did in trading JD Davis for Luis Santana)
-Package a few of them with Yuli and see if we can get a team to take his $8.4 million off our hands next year
-Grab a vet lefty bullpen option or vet backup.catcher

I think kemp has more viable long term productivity than any of those other guys imo.

I think if he gets 350 ABs and consistent playing time he's a player that would be in the .265 range and put up consistent numbers and a good OBP
I agree, but those are only good numbers @ 2b, not as a poor defensive corner OF. I think he has trade value for a team that can use him primarily as a 2b and I think he would start there for a lot of teams...but will be stuck behind Altuve and Diaz here.

Agreed but I'm simply indicating I think of all those players Kemp is most big league capable guy. And his versatility makes him the best bench option as well bc he can both infield and OF (although weak arm but decent range ). I think he's our best bench player of that group and is a left handed stick.
bearkatag15
AG

Well this would suck. Was hoping Houston would be able to land him.
Mathguy64
AG
Sanchez's numbers are highly inflated from 11 games. When I say highly inflated I mean half his production level of inflated.

He's played 11 games against Baltimore. In 48 PAs: .341/.396/.955, 9 HR, 10R, 18 RBI.

Against the rest of the AL? He sucks. 32 games, 132 PAs, .219/.321/.430, 6 HR, 14R, 13 RBI.

Against Baltimore, he's an All Star. Against the rest of the AL he's basically Tyler White. And hes been lucky enough to play 25% of his games against Baltimore. I'm not impressed.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Well this would suck. Was hoping Houston would be able to land him.

He's fine, but I don't think he'd be anything special. Would probably cost too much.
Ag_07
AG
Eh...I just don't like rentals.

Give me someone like Cole and JV who we'd get a couple more years out of.

AND just reminder to everyone tonight's start is 6:10 CST
Agnzona
Agree I want someone with at least 2 more years. Max Scherzer fits that, but I'd prefer a lefty that could be our number 4 starter and move to the pen for the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

Agree I want someone with at least 2 more years. Max Scherzer first that, but I'd prefer a lefty that could be our number 4 starter and move to the pen for the playoffs.
Who's our #3?
redline248
AG
Right now, it has to be Miley, no?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Yes, but do we feel good about him being the #3 in the postseason. I would love to add another high end arm.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Yes, but do we feel good about him being the #3 in the postseason. I would love to add another high end arm.
I suppose one might compare that against the #3s we had the last 2 years. How would you compare Miley to McCullers?

edit: This is just me running with a topic and not advocating for or against making a move for another pitcher. I'd be happy to add a high quality pitcher.
Ag_07
AG
The only reason Miley scares me in the postseason is he just doesn't go deep into games and I can't imagine that's gonna get solved after a full season's worth of pitching.

We need a #3 starter not only for postseason but for the 2nd half to give this BP a rest and let them get healthy/rested for the stretch playoff run. We're putting too many innings on those guys as it is now.

Get a solid, controllable #3 who could slide to #2 next year if Cole walks.

I'm not buying that Schezer is actually available but if he is that's obviously someone who moves to the top of the list.
Frok
AG
Definitely don't like Minnesota getting Bumgarner.

Seems like every year our opponents add people like crazy while we take a quieter approach. So far it's generally turned out well for us.

Deluxe
AG
I wouldn't mind seeing us make a play for Matt Boyd. Controllable thru 2022. Seems to be coming into his own as a starter.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

I suppose one might compare that against the #3s we had the last 2 years. How would you compare Miley to McCullers?

edit: This is just me running with a topic and not advocating for or against making a move for another pitcher. I'd be happy to add a high quality pitcher.
2018 Dallas
3.74 ERA
3.69 FIP
3.84 xFIP

2017 Peacock/Morton/McCullers (each started a game 3)
/
/

--

2019 Miley

Its not all that different from our previous #3 types. I'm not sure Miley is going to continue to do what he's doing with his xFIP looking a little high. However, Wade did have one hell of a postseason last year. To me, its probably one of the most reasonable spots to try and improve come the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

Definitely don't like Minnesota getting Bumgarner.

Seems like every year our opponents add people like crazy while we take a quieter approach. So far it's generally turned out well for us.

How does one get Justin Verlander quietly?

We made some pretty big moves in 15 and 17. We tried to get Harper last year and were damn close. We've also been down to the wire for Britton and made a big effort for Hamels & Lucroy.
Farmer1906
AG
While we are throwing out names, how about Stroman. Young, good, controllable and should be available.
W
AG
Great data. Oriole rockstar
W
AG
I see this name "Tommy La Stella"...look up his career numbers...

and wow, something magical happened on the flight from Chicago to Los Angeles
W
AG
a good series to keep an eye on this week:

Red Sox at Twins

3 games starting tonight
First Page Last Page
Page 408 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.