***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,055 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Member when y'all wanted JT.
For me this was never anti-Chorizo. I thought he was a solid pickup and I thought Stassi would be better and they would make a nice platoon. Never in 1M years did I think RC would have an all-star 1st half.

That said, I still want JT. As others have said, Chorizo is old and he's only played over 100 games once. I'm nervous about the rest the season. Best case scenario he keeps it up and once again we bow before the greatness of Luhnow at one of the most underrated signings of 2019. But then no way he's going to settle for another 1-yr $5.7M deal...and we have absolutely nothing behind him.

I hope you get to continue your smug little JT posts because that means RC is kicking ace, but this is still very much in flux until:

1. RC's body holds up through the posteason.
2. Tucker comes up and does something.
3. We figure out our 2020 and beyond C situation.

If all of those things come up roses then I will happily eat crow. Early grades on signing Chirinos and passing on JT are A+, but final grade TBD until October and maybe beyond.
Farmer1906
AG
I found some great Chirinos freezing cold takes.

Quote:

Gross. Must be getting him for cheap and think Stassi/Stubbs could make it as a future everyday catcher?
-E

Quote:

Our answer at C is Chirinos?????

I just threw up in my mouth. And RangerFan is laughing his ass off.
-mathguy86

Quote:

So we're going to roll with Chirinos and Stassi?

That so bad I don't believe it. Maybe Stassi is moved in a trade package?

-Ag_07

Quote:

This is an awful signing. They'll do something else at C, because, quite frankly, they have to... Stassi and Chirinos is abysmal.
-BuckCompton

Quote:

The Chirinos move feels like a move to bring in a back up catcher, at least let's hope so.
-WES2006AG

here is why irish is the best poster on this thread... him and whoever posts the TOFA and Kate gifs.
Quote:

This is basic, but here's why I like Chirinos... and why I expect him to put up an even better wRC+ than last year.
[thoughtful analysis]
-irish pete ag07

This guy seems like he had a decent take too.

Quote:

...is Realmuto really going to push us over the top?

wRC+

Realmuto 126
Chirinos103

Realmuto 107
Chirinos 124

How much of an upgrade are we talking here? 2018 was significant, but 2017 he was actually worse. Is 23 runs created more a year over 2 years enough to give up on Tucker?

---

JT shows some signs that he should keep improving. His hard contact has gone up, he's hitting fewer balls on the ground and more line drives and fly balls. If he keeps that trend up he'll be an awesome addition, but how long ago was Gary Sanchez the best hitting catcher with his with a 1000+ OPS at 23. Last year he wasn't even serviceable. How mad at Jeff were we when we let the Rangers take Lucroy. He had a 5 year period of averaging .291 avg and .818 OPS. He was avg then below average the following 2 years.

I just don't think he's the sure thing a lot are making him out to be.

redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We just spent a 1st rounder on a catcher. Hopefully he turns out to be a big leaguer. Until then or if not we can find cheap average catcher types if Chirinos ages quickly. Look around the league. Who has great constant production from their catcher?
One of these days I'll start remembering things better.

For some reason I thought we drafted a pitcher or OF in the 1st round.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

Quote:

-mathguy86
This guy is an idiot. A grade A+ pure dee dumbass and why anyone listens to him is beyond me. Beyond his moronic takes, he posts pictures of skanks. Fortunately Staff wised up to his nonsense 18 months ago and banned him for it. They should have permabanned him. If I were a mod I would have. I don't have many people on my ignore list, but this choade is at the top.
Harry Dunne
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

Quote:

Quote:

-mathguy86
This guy is an idiot. A grade A+ pure dee dumbass and why anyone listens to him is beyond me. Beyond his moronic takes, he posts pictures of skanks. Fortunately Staff wised up to his nonsense 18 months ago and banned him for it. They should have permabanned him. If I were a mod I would have. I don't have many people on my ignore list, but this choade is at the top.

Flagged. Flame with no information.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Quote:

Quote:

-mathguy86

We're all guilty of some bad takes. I included Jed Lowrie on my list of potential DHs I wanted (Cruz was #1). Turns out we had a much better plan at DH (rotate guys and killmonger)
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Side note. Just saw an interview of Vlad Jr;

1: he has a really wide face and head. Looks like he should weigh 300 from the shoulders up.

2: Dudes dad was a Major League Baseball player. I assume Jr spent plenty time in clubhouses and was raised in Canada and the US.....he can't speak English? Even broken English to do his own interview, are you kidding me?
Harry Dunne
Looks like the rest of the body pretty well matches that melon.

Farmer1906
AG
How many languages do you speak? I have sympathy for any non native speaker who wants to rely on a translator to avoid embarrassment or accidentally putting their foot in their mouth. Especially with how the media can run with things and turn people into villains. Look how Yuli got roasted by doing squinty eyes. He was even suspended for something so minor.
agdaddy04
AG
I remember someone posting how favorable MMP was for Cheerios. Also, besides Gomez, almost all of our FA signings under Luhnow have our performed expectations. At least it seems that way.
W
AG
Framber gets the ground balls in the 1st
W
AG
nice hustle by Yuli to avoid the GiDP.

here's Yordan
W
AG
first career GiDP
bigjag19
AG
Send him down.
rosco511
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I remember someone posting how favorable MMP was for Cheerios. Also, besides Gomez, almost all of our FA signings under Luhnow have our performed expectations. At least it seems that way.
Gomez was not a signing. We traded prospects, including Hader, for him.
W
AG
lead double for White
txagbq2009
AG
I always seem to forget about Gomez, but every time I see him mentioned I seem to get irrationally angry.
B-Company 2009
W
AG
hit #3 for Mayfield.

RBI double
agdaddy04
AG
Way to go Jack
astros4545
AG
Jack still with no singles in his career
W
AG
this Toronto pitcher is terrible
Ryan34
AG
W said:

Toronto is terrible

FIFY
cap-n-jack
And their defense is nothing to write home about either.
W
AG
that was a White-Mayfield-Stubbs rally
W
AG
strangely enough the last place Orioles were much tougher last weekend
EastCoastAgNc
AG
They need to get this kid off the mound, he's gonna hurt somebody...
Harry Dunne
W said:

lead double for White
White 7 for his last 22 (.318) - .969 OPS.

Season still abysmal but it's something.
W
AG
trade value slowly increasing
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I speak 1 language. The majority language of the country I was born and raised in. He was born in Montreal Canada. Highly doubt the majority of his youth was spent in the DR.

So being from Montreal it is very reasonable to assume he should have been heavily exposed to English as well as French I'm not saying he wouldn't speak Spanish but to not be able to speak the language at a manageable level is ridiculous.
titanmaster_race
cpsencik04 said:

I speak 1 language. The majority language of the country I was born and raised in. He was born in Montreal Canada. Highly doubt the majority of his youth was spent in the DR.

So being from Montreal it is very reasonable to assume he should have been heavily exposed to English as well as French I'm not saying he wouldn't speak Spanish but to not be able to speak the language at a manageable level is ridiculous.

Maybe he does speak a little English, but prefers to do interviews in Spanish
Jackal99
AG
Always fun when Baggy is in the booth. I'd love to see the Killer Bs in the broadcast booth - Berkman, Baggy, and Blum.
Ag_07
AG
If Collin were to come back today I'd say put him in the pen.

Framber has been the better starter and BP McHugh is better than starter McHugh.
Jackal99
AG
Is this pitcher drunk?
W
AG
tons of ground balls in this game
First Page Last Page
Page 401 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.