***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,850,608 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is it a given that Tucker will not come up this year?
Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

Is it?

Over the last 30 games he's got a 1.126 OPS. He keeps that up, why should he stay down? You want a 22 year old in AAA hitting 50 bombs?
YellAg2004
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Over the last 30 games he's got a 1.126 OPS. He keeps that up, why should he stay down? You want a 22 year old in AAA hitting 50 bombs?
If everyone is healthy, whose spot does he take?
Ag_07
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

Seriously we have so many OFers I imagine at least one of Fisher, Kemp, or Straw will get moved.
Buck Compton
AG
My guess is both Fisher and Kemp if they can include them. Straw isn't going anywhere before the playoffs with that type of speed as a late-inning sub weapon. Unless his bat just goes extremely cold, he's on the roster as a faster Maybin.
Ag_07
AG
Agree. I just added him as part of the logjam we have at OF.

Although that would be an interesting negotiation if say someone wanted Straw in a deal. He's valuable for sure but not untouchable.
Mathguy64
AG
Psych said:

mathguy86 said:

By that time it wont matter one way or the other. The next important date is July 31. That's the trade deadline and there are no more waivers after that anymore.

"As of 2019, the July 31 Trade Deadline is the only trade deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades are no longer be permitted after that date. With regards to newly acquired players, the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline remains in effect."

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/trade-waivers-aug-31-deadline
I should have been more careful and say there will be no more waiver deals. Before there were trades if someone cleared waivers and almost everyone would clear waivers. Now someone can be claimed only. So you lose a player with no compensation.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

Seriously we have so many OFers I imagine at least one of Fisher, Kemp, or Straw will get moved.

This. We can only keep so many 4th or 5th outfielder types. Fisher, Marisnick, Straw, & Kemp aren't going to be in your everyday line up ever.

Jake & Straw both bring something unique. Elite D or Super Speed on the Basepaths. You decide what more important to keep one. You send the other down or trade them. Straw may be able to save himself if he can transition to IF, but I still think you want Diaz over him.

I think White will he gone soon too. He's nearing 700 ABs in the big over 4 years. I think he's done enough to be a back up somewhere is he can drop a few LBs and play more than 1B, but it ain't gonna be here.

Here is my ideal roster for the postseason.
IF - Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Yuli, Diaz, Straw
OF - Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Jake, Tucker
C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Anyone curious on Alvarez's first name, they just had a caller say it is pronounced like Jordan but replace the J with a Y.

Tweet last night says he wants to be called "your - dahn"
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Anyone curious on Alvarez's first name, they just had a caller say it is pronounced like Jordan but replace the J with a Y.

This guy claims he spoke with the Astros people and Alvarez's agent (i think) because his buddy caught his first HR. He wanted a bat, but Alvarez didn't have enough to spare yet. During these conversations, the name clarification came up.
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

This. We can only keep so many 4th or 5th outfielder types. Fisher, Marisnick, Straw, & Kemp aren't going to be in your everyday line up ever.

Jake & Straw both bring something unique. Elite D or Super Speed on the Basepaths. You decide what more important to keep one. You send the other down or trade them. Straw may be able to save himself if he can transition to IF, but I still think you want Diaz over him.

I think White will he gone soon too. He's nearing 700 ABs in the big over 4 years. I think he's done enough to be a back up somewhere is he can drop a few LBs and play more than 1B, but it ain't gonna be here.

C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez

That's 14 position players. Not gonna happen. Straw makes it over Tucker because what he offers is unique. He should also be listed as an OF, regardless of if he can occasionally play IF.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This guy claims he spoke with the Astros people and Alvarez's agent (i think) because his buddy caught his first HR. He wanted a bat, but Alvarez didn't have enough to spare yet. During these conversations, the name clarification came up.

This guy covers the Astros daily

TV says your.
Farmer1906
AG
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez

That's 14 position players. Not gonna happen. Straw makes it over Tucker because what he offers is unique. He should also be listed as an OF, regardless of if he can occasionally play IF.

We had 14 last postseason.
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

He's not my dahn, he's not their dahn...he's YORDAN!!!!
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TV says your.

I never argued against the y sound.

It's really a matter of Dan vs Dawn.
redline248
AG
Ah. I don't know why I thought people were using a hard J.
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez

We did for the ALDS. But not for the ALCS (which is all that really matters). We wouldn't for the World Series either if we got there, because of the need for an additional pitcher and lack of DH in the NL parks.
Farmer1906
AG
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez

We did for the ALDS. But not for the ALCS (which is all that really matters). We wouldn't for the World Series either if we got there, because of the need for an additional pitcher and lack of DH in the NL parks.

Maybe so, but I find it difficult to at least not find out if Tucker translate this year. He's on a year very similar to Yordan.
redline248
AG
Luhnow talked about Alvarez frequently the weeks before call up. Had he said anything about Tucker, recently?

Wasn't Tucker one of the Astros "not available" guys?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Luhnow talked about Alvarez frequently the weeks before call up. Had he said anything about Tucker, recently?

For trades? He wasn't for JT. I would guess for the right deal he would be I don't know what that would be.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

For trades? He wasn't for JT. I would guess for the right deal he would be I don't know what that would be.
Yelich.
redline248
AG
Well, talk about him in any fashion, not just about trades. Should have asked that in separate posts
Frok
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Is it?

Whoever gets traded

C - Chirinos, Stassi
DH - Alvarez

Maybe so, but I find it difficult to at least not find out if Tucker translate this year. He's on a year very similar to Yordan.

Exactly. I think it would be crazy to not bring him up just because you have Fisher and Straw on the roster.
Buck Compton
AG
Fisher won't block anyone, including Tucker. No one is arguing that.

Straw serves a separate purpose, though. If you're looking at a 7-game series and a 13 position player roster, you have to be willing to sacrifice the defensive support of Jake or the speed of straw to get Tucker on the roster. Period.

2 catchers, 5 infielders, 5 outfielders, and a DH. There's flexibility in there, but who does Tucker replace from this list?

IF: Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Diaz
OF: Reddick, Springer, Brantley, Marisnick, Straw
Frok
AG
Quote:

but who does Tucker replace from this list?

Straw. Marisnick can be your fast/defensive replacement.

If Tucker comes up and hits well he has to get that spot. A good hitter is more valuable than a pinch runner.
Ag_07
AG
If we already have a logjam at OF why waste an option of Tucker to play sparingly?

Maybe they don't wanna bring him up until he's getting regular ABs. That won't happen until we move some guys
Harry Dunne
irish pete ag06 said:

Just to let y'all know. Fisher is not a great outfielder. I keep seeing him mentioned as this great defensive replacement. He's below George and Reddick in defensive capability by a lot.
What are you basing this on?
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

If we already have a logjam at OF why waste an option of Tucker to play sparingly?

Maybe they don't wanna bring him up until he's getting regular ABs. That won't happen until we move some guys

This is the Astros, somebody will be on the IL. Surely there is room for Tucker to get a chance at some point this year.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
mazag08
AG
I think Fisher and Kemp are on another team before the end of the year. I hate to lose both.. Fisher has the potential to be a Reddick type player with a little more speed and slight more pop. But we might not see that potential before mid next season fully materialize, and there wouldn't be anywhere to play him to get him the at bats. Had we never acquired Brantley, Fisher is a long term Astro. But we did..

Kemp is a clubhouse favorite and great teammate. He's versatile but does nothing great. He's like Keke Hernandez. You hate to lose him, but it won't hurt you too much.

I think keeping Straw should be a no brainer.

So that leaves Fisher, Kemp, White, Mayfield, Reed, and maybe some RP arms as trade bait. Couple 2-3 of those, with another as throw in, and a young recent draft pick pitcher with high potential, and you could have a decent return.

But looking at our contracts, we only have an outfield of Springer (will be 31 in 2021), Brantley (will be 34 in 2021), Reddick (will be 34 in 2021), and Marisnick (will be 30 in 2021) guaranteed for one more season after this year. Kind of makes you want to hang on to a guy like Fisher.(will be 27 in 2021) who will be entering his prime. If we keep Springer but lose the other three, you've got Springer, Tucker, Fisher, Straw, Kemp, and maybe Alvarez as known assets at this point in time. And we will likely be trying to find 1-2 SP's and potentially replacing Correa as well that same year (hopefully Abraham Torro pans out and we can slide Bregman to 3rd). Would be nice to have a guy like Fisher as a 1-2 year stop gap at worst at that point.

Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TV says your.

I never argued against the y sound.

It's really a matter of Dan vs Dawn.
"Dawn" is the proper pronunciation in Spanish so that one I never wondered about. But even last week Lunhow wasn't sure about his first name and said on the radio he was pronouncing it with a J (more like Zhor-dawn) until Alvarez told him otherwise.

At least it seems to be settled.
Deluxe
AG
I'm not necessarily advocating for this but might now be a good time to sell high on Reddick? At his current stock value, we could probably get another team to pay his full $13 million next year and maybe pickup a prospect or two in return. Then the RF job becomes a competition for Straw, Tucker and Fisher (all of whom make minimum salary). Could use the savings to help retain Cole.

I suppose a strong case could also be made to not fix what isn't broken.
Buck Compton
AG
Frok said:

Quote:

but who does Tucker replace from this list?

Straw. Marisnick can be your fast/defensive replacement.

If Tucker comes up and hits well he has to get that spot. A good hitter is more valuable than a pinch runner.
Marisnick is pretty fast, but Straw is close to Billy Hamilton and Byron Buxton and Marisnick quote a bit behind them.. A completely different weapon and always a threat to steal or score from first / second when others wouldn't.

Straw runs a 6.2 60-yd dash.
mazag08
AG
Deluxe said:

I'm not necessarily advocating for this but might now be a good time to sell high on Reddick? At his current stock value, we could probably get another team to pay his full $13 million next year and maybe pickup a prospect or two in return. Then the RF job becomes a competition for Straw, Tucker and Fisher (all of whom make minimum salary). Could use the savings to help retain Cole.

I suppose a strong case could also be made to not fix what isn't broken.
I would agree, but I don't think I want to sacrifice his resurgence and valuable elft handed bat at this point. We have a chance to win a 2nd World Series in three years. If his production was a big product of luck and BABIP then maybe, but its not. He's literally just a better hitter than any point as an Astro.
expresswrittenconsent
What is the status of the astros TV deal with root/attsw? Are they like a year or two away from being able to move or is this like a "year 8 of 20" situation?
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.