***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,790 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate

Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.

Just need him to pitch deeper into games, which should happen if he's been a victim of bad luck.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate

Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.

Just need him to pitch deeper into games, which should happen if he's been a victim of bad luck.

I guess. But he is 5th in baseball IP. He's going about as deep as anyone.
AgDoc03
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Then keep Tubby White out of game so he's not allowing weak base hits by his stationary ass and yet Yuli play first.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

He's pitching just as deep as basically everyone in baseball with the exception of the freak of nature known as Justin Verlander. And as Farmer says, his advanced metrics tell the story of a guy pitching his ass off. His xFIP- is at 52. So his FIP is basically 50% lower than league average. By comparison, JV is at 81. Cole has ben really really unlucky.
Beat40
That was a great analysis and really good looks. Really good job by the home plate umpire too.
Harry Dunne
Tubby has reached base in 6 of his last 11 PAs and is finally showing some signs of life at the plate. We keep winning, and the last couple of nights he has been a big part of that.

Hopefully his playing time is going to diminish very soon when the regulars come back, but this is the organizations last chance to see if he's worth keeping on the roster or not (or improve his stock as trade bait).

If there was ever a time to play him it is now.
dshedd41
S
Nice little tribute to Dallas:
Gig’em Aggies!
Harry Dunne
AgDoc03 said:

Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Then keep Tubby White out of game so he's not allowing weak base hits by his stationary ass and yet Yuli play first.
Not sure if you actually watched the game yesterday or the night before, or if you're just one of the horde of White is fat therefore he sucks people, but he got a hit and scored a big run in a game where nobody was hitting.

Our bench last night was "superJack", stubbs and Marisnick, who unfortunately has cooled off and can't buy a hit lately. Not sure who you think would've had all the big hits in place of White.

Yuli's error might have cost Cole the win and made this an extra inning game. Granted he was playing third base. But he's not hitting great either and he's definitely not Don Mattingly at first.

Great hustle but Yuli a bit lucky to win the game last night but he was 0-5 going into that and he Bregman and Brantley were 0-15 at that point.

Granted white has sucked moose balls this season but that's a stale take.
Ryan34
AG
White has 4 singles, 1 R scored, and 0 RBI in the last 2 games. While getting some hits is certainly an improvement, that's still not the type of production we need from the 1B/DH spots.
Ag_07
AG
Cole is a very good pitcher.

I think his issue is letting his emotions get to him. Seems like he let's errors, bad calls, etc affect his performance. He's wound so tight any little hitch seems to throw him off his game.

When he settles in and things go right he's damn near unhittable but when things aren't going perfectly he looks average.
AgDoc03
AG
I triggered you so much you made 2 separate replies to my post?

Getting weak singles and drawing a couple of walks may be improvement, but I'd rather have Yuli at first, Breg at 3rd and Mayfield at SS if nothing more than for defensive reasons bc White's weak contact doesn't overcome the strain it puts on the defense.

Hell, even Mayfield has as many HR as our "DH" in probably a 1/4 of the at bats.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoachRTM
AG
Framber starting today. Over/under set at 5 IP?

Perez saved our pen last night. Harris, Pressly, Osuna should be available.
Mr.Bond
AG
That's actually a great number..... I'll take the over at 5 2/3
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

irish pete ag06
AG
AggiEE said:

Still not impressed?

His FIP and xFIP are better than Verlander. If things keep going like they are I will say Cole's ERA will end up lower than Verlander.
Mathguy64
AG
If Frambeer makes it to the third time through the lineup after 5 IP I would be ecstatic.
shady
AG
Death, Taxes and Harry Dunne telling how good our Tubby 1B/DH with 1HR and 9 RBI on the season really is.
Harry Dunne
shady said:

Death, Taxes and Harry Dunne telling how good our Tubby 1B/DH with 1HR and 9 RBI on the season really is.
All it takes to trigger me is TW criticism. I really love the guy, what can I say?
irish pete ag06
AG
Harry Dunne said:

shady said:

All it takes to trigger me is TW criticism. I really love the guy, what can I say?

Harry Dunne and Bearkat Ag

titanmaster_race
irish pete ag06 said:

Harry Dunne said:

shady said:

Harry Dunne and Bearkat Ag

Haha nerd.

I love it.
redline248
AG
bullard21k
AG
Just my 2 cents but when springer and Diaz are activated I'd send down mayfield and Tyler white. If somebody picks him up so be it.

Myles straw should have been on the ALCS roster last year and should be on every playoff roster moving forward imo. I don't care if he plays a single inning in the playoffs his ability to pitch run and swipe a bag or score from first base on a double is worth it's weight in gold in postseason play. We need to start preparing for winning a World Series and rounding out the roster for the next 3 months of guys that will be on playoff roster.

I just don't see a ton of scenarios where we would benefit by keeping white on a post season roster unless he dramatically flips a switch.

Again just my opinion but I'd rather keep kemp, Marsicnick and straw on the roster than white
Mathguy64
AG
Tubby is sporting a slugging % of .294 and an ISO of .071 in 148 PAs. Not a small sample. That's your DH folks. That's just beyond brutal. In fact it's so bad that if he had enough PAs to qualify it would be the worst SLG and second worst ISO in MLB.

And as we saw yesterday if you play him in the field you get a double hit because his defense is bad because his footwork is bad and that takes a good defensive player in Yuli and moves him to a position he's not as good at. All because White is a chunky tub of goo.
AgDoc03
AG
mathguy86 said:

Tubby is sporting a slugging % of .294 and an ISO of .071 in 148 PAs. Not a small sample. That's your DH folks. That's just beyond brutal. In fact it's so bad that if he had enough PAs to qualify it would be the worst SLG and second worst ISO in MLB.

And as we saw yesterday if you play him in the field you get a double hit because his defense is bad because his footwork is bad and that takes a good defensive player in Yuli and moves him to a position he's not as good at. All because White is a chunky tub of goo.

But didn't you watch the last two games and noticed he's reached base 6/11 PA's? Sign him to an extension /harry dunne
astros4545
AG
I don't think there is any argument or dispute that Tyler White and SuperJack are the two position players on the chopping block before all others
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

I guess. But he is 5th in baseball IP. He's going about as deep as anyone.

The longer he, JV and Miley pitch into games, the fewer innings the bullpen pitches. I wasn't commenting on anything he's not doing, so much as what he could do to help cover a recent weakness. Those guys in the pen will be noodle-armed by the postseason with all the work they've had the past couple of weeks.

But I agree, on par he's pitched as much as anyone else.
n_touch
Quote:

Just my 2 cents but when springer and Diaz are activated I'd send down mayfield and Tyler white
White is out of options. It is put him on waivers or he needs to "be" injured.
shady
AG
Yep...Tubby is a 350 lb punch and Judy hitter.

Every at bat is watch a strike, step out of the box smacking his gum, puts bat under left arm and tighten batting gloves like they somehow got looser standing there watching.

And yes...I know Altuve adjusts his gloves a lot but hes a MVP and can do what he wants.

dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
We need not make the same with Tyler White that Billy Heywood made with Jerry Jackson (although Heywood, to his credit, eventually made the right decision).
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bullard21k
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Just my 2 cents but when springer and Diaz are activated I'd send down mayfield and Tyler white
White is out of options. It is put him on waivers or he needs to "be" injured.

That's why I said send him down not option him. As I mentioned if someone decides they want him on their roster so be it we need to round out our roster not wait for him to figure it out. I also don't think trading him is a high possibility unless there were other players involved. Everybody knows he's out of options and our numbers crunch with the 25 man so you aren't even going to get a decent potential minor leaguer prospect for him imo.

As I typed that I see your point. We can't bring him back up so you might as well just release him. I'm fine with that too
Harry Dunne
Bearkat at least has always hated White. He could win league MVP and Bearkat would still hate him. I can respect that.

Most of you are just reactionary bandwagon fans. I could post "Cole sucks, I'm ready for him to move on" during a brilliant performance like last night and it would turn blue in 3 minutes. The fact that anyone is moronic enough to think we aren't extremely fortunate to have him and that he is not as good of a #2 SP as any in the league or any this franchise has ever had is all you need to know about the baseball IQ of average random poster.

1. White is going to be a productive major league hitter. I doubt he will be star, but he will hit 25 HR and have a .900 OPS at some point.
2. The rest of White's career is going to be more productive than the rest of Yuli's.

I will take a bet with any poster that White's 2019 SEASON is going to be more productive than Yuli's. We can use WAR as the determinant. Yuli has a head start, so it's a good bet for you. Loser never posts on this forum again.

White has sucked so far this year, but the smartest manager and the smartest front office in baseball keep running him out there. That means they agree with me. They may trade him and that may be best for both sides, but they know he's too valuable to cut and they believe he will produce if he keeps getting opportunities.

As torn up as I am that a bunch of dudes whose allegiances shift faster than preteen girls don't agree with me, I think I'll settle for falling on Luhnow & AJ's side of things.

** Edit to say I love Yuli. He's the first guy on the team I'd have a beer with if I could choose. The point I'm trying to make is that even though we love to spout out analytics on this thread, a lot of you are still reactionary eyeball guys and as bad as White has been, Yuli hasn't been much better. One of them turns 36 tomorrow and makes $10M, the other one is 28 and makes 500k.
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Harry Dunne
Mr.Bond said:

There's dumb and theres dumber
Take the bet then Einstein.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

As torn up as I am that a bunch of dudes whose allegiances shift faster than preteen girls don't agree with me...

The board needs more of this right here. Kudos.
First Page Last Page
Page 355 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.