***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,822 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Bearkat at least has always hated White. He could win league MVP and Bearkat would still hate him. I can respect that.

Most of you are just reactionary bandwagon fans. I could post "Cole sucks, I'm ready for him to move on" during a brilliant performance like last night and it would turn blue in 3 minutes. The fact that anyone is moronic enough to think we aren't extremely fortunate to have him and that he is not as good of a #2 SP as any in the league or any this franchise has ever had is all you need to know about the baseball IQ of average random poster.

1. White is going to be a productive major league hitter. I doubt he will be star, but he will hit 25 HR and have a .900 OPS at some point.
2. The rest of White's career is going to be more productive than the rest of Yuli's.

I will take a bet with any poster that White's 2019 SEASON is going to be more productive than Yuli's. We can use WAR as the determinant. Yuli has a head start, so it's a good bet for you. Loser never posts on this forum again.

White has sucked so far this year, but the smartest manager and the smartest front office in baseball keep running him out there. That means they agree with me. They may trade him and that may be best for both sides, but they know he's too valuable to cut and they believe he will produce if he keeps getting opportunities.

As torn up as I am that a bunch of dudes whose allegiances shift faster than preteen girls don't agree with me, I think I'll settle for falling on Luhnow & AJ's side of things.

** Edit to say I love Yuli. He's the first guy on the team I'd have a beer with if I could choose. The point I'm trying to make is that even though we love to spout out analytics on this thread, a lot of you are still reactionary eyeball guys and as bad as White has been, Yuli hasn't been much better. One of them turns 36 tomorrow and makes $10M, the other one is 28 and makes 500k.

I do agree that Tyler will be productive again. His drop off has been so precipitous to what he did in a decent sample size last year, it makes me wonder about some type of underlying injury other than weight gain.
n_touch
I think I would rather have a beer with White. We at least know he likes wings. I would love for White to turn it around. Kind of reminds me of Jake last year in how bad he was.
Deluxe
AG
Yuli should be very thankful for White's crappy start because it's diverted some attention from his own crappy start.

Yuli - .288 OBP, 80 OPS+
White - .318 OBP, 68 OPS+

Not gonna cut it for a 1B/DH combo
Mr.Bond
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Mr.Bond said:

There's dumb and theres dumber
Take the bet then Einstein.

It was more of a play on words given your handle....... But thanks calling me smart.

Tyler White has and will forever suck giant cock
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

astros4545
AG
White have a .900 OPs
Harry Dunne
Mr.Bond said:

Harry Dunne said:

Mr.Bond said:

There's dumb and theres dumber
Take the bet then Einstein.

It was more of a play on words given your handle....... But thanks calling me smart.

Tyler White has and will forever suck giant cock
So are you going to take the bet or just talk about dudes fellating?
Mr.Bond
AG
Appreciate the offer, but I'm not putting my 10+ years of posting here on the back of a rapidly aging Cuban (who's likely closer to 40 than listed) doesn't take away from the fact that our resident beluga whale of a 1B is trash
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

expresswrittenconsent
Oh sweet. Idiot internet tough guys demanding people bet them have made it to the Astros thread.
Harry Dunne
expresswrittenconsent said:

Oh sweet. Idiot internet tough guys demanding people bet them have made it to the Astros thread.
Definitely not a tough guy internet or real life and not demanding anything. Just having some fun.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Time to put the money where the mouth is! I wouldn't say betting is internet tough guy, especially since it's not even money just your lol 10 years of posting history
JABQ04
AG
It's not a real TexAgs bet if a poop slap isn't involved
n_touch
and the team is in first place by 10 games. I love this place and wish I would have found this yearly thread years before now
Ryan34
AG
There's very little downside to cutting White. At his best, he's a replacement level player. I'd be surprised if any team took him in a trade, and he's blocking far more talented prospects' path to the majors.
n_touch
I would be surprised if he is not picked up. He is cheap and can be serviceable. Someone hoping a change of scenery will help him will pick him up.
expresswrittenconsent
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Time to put the money where the mouth is! I wouldn't say betting is internet tough guy, especially since it's not even money just your lol 10 years of posting history

Its the definition of internet tough guy since it is unenforceable whether for money or posting history. Nobody is leaving this place. The ratio of welched texags bets to paid texags bets is currently somewhere around 750,000:1.
Ryan34
AG
n_touch said:

I would be surprised if he is not picked up. He is cheap and can be serviceable. Someone hoping a change of scenery will help him will pick him up.
Picked up off waivers or in a trade? Because if the latter, why would anyone trade for a DH who can't hit?
n_touch
Waivers

No one will trade and right now there is no reason to release him and lose him for nothing. The team is doing just fine. Let him turn it around and get something in return for trade of he becomes productive like he did last year for a good stretch.

As said someone said before he is not the only one struggling. He is just struggling the most and his physique makes him an easy target.
Ryan34
AG
Waivers I agree with. But I don't see any compelling reason the Astros should care about losing him.
Harry Dunne
expresswrittenconsent said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

Its the definition of internet tough guy since it is unenforceable whether for money or posting history. Nobody is leaving this place. The ratio of welched texags bets to paid texags bets is currently somewhere around 750,000:1.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what an internet tough guy is. I thought it involved tough talk and threats, not friendly wagers. Honestly I'm just trying to make the back and forth a little more fun by putting some skin in the game. I have never made a bet on texags but that ratio seems about right. I thought something with no monetary value was less likely to be welched on, and to be clear I meant no posting again only on the Astros thread, not on Texags in general.

And not to be an internet tough guy again, but I have been posting on here for near 17 years.

A smaller bet maybe? I figured all the White haters would be all over this!
Harry Dunne
Ryan34 said:

There's very little downside to cutting White. At his best, he's a replacement level player. I'd be surprised if any team took him in a trade, and he's blocking far more talented prospects' path to the majors.
I was shocked that anyone took JD Davis in a trade, but they did. His Astros performance made White look like an All-Star and we actually got some nice lottery tickets for him...and he's actually doing OK for the Mets, which only helps us for future trades.

White was predicted by many "experts" to be around a .270 20 HR 75 RBI this season and he was our opening day DH. That didn't work out, but a lot of people thought a lot of him coming into the season. I'm not saying we are going to trade him straight up for Bumgarner but if he heats up and gets his numbers looking halfway decent I'm sure we can get something for him...and TBH I think that might be the best move for him and for us.
n_touch
Quote:

A smaller bet maybe? I figured all the White haters would be all over this!
Since it is a bet about White, why not a gift card to BW3's? Isn't that where he went after the playoff loss last year?
Ryan34
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Ryan34 said:

I was shocked that anyone took JD Davis in a trade, but they did. His Astros performance made White look like an All-Star and we actually got some nice lottery tickets for him...and he's actually doing OK for the Mets, which only helps us for future trades.

White was predicted by many "experts" to be around a .270 20 HR 75 RBI this season and he was our opening day DH. That didn't work out, but a lot of people thought a lot of him coming into the season. I'm not saying we are going to trade him straight up for Bumgarner but if he heats up and gets his numbers looking halfway decent I'm sure we can get something for him...and TBH I think that might be the best move for him and for us.
JD Davis was a 3rd round pick whereas White was a 33rd round pick. Thus JD was perceived to have far more raw talent and upside. He also wasn't drastically overweight and could play in the field.

I agree it'd be best for both parties if White heats up so we can trade him for something, but I don't see it happening. He needs to drop a lot of weight and retool his swing.
tjack16
AG
I'm excited for the Brewers series this week... could be a potential October matchup
TXAG14
Dodgers have the NL locked up. Nobody can stop them.
Mr.Bond
AG
TXAG14 said:

Dodgers have the NL locked up. Nobody can stop them.

Kershaws arm hasn't fully exploded..... Yet

W
AG
today is game #66 of the season...and Altuve & Springer are still in the witness protection program.

George will miss his 18th game. Not sure how many more he can miss and still be in the MVP race.

Altuve will miss his 27th game. Would be very surprised if he comes back before the all-star break. It won't be long before he's missed more games than he's played (39)
The Milkman
AG
And we're 44-21
bearkatag15
AG
This is incredible to me

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

We need not make the same with Tyler White that Billy Heywood made with Jerry Jackson (although Heywood, to his credit, eventually made the right decision).

At least there was someone who liked Jackson's baseball card.

No one wants a White baseball card.
JABQ04
AG
Only because it's racist.
Deluxe
AG
That's a great point
W
AG
good opening frame for Framber
bearkatag15
AG
Framber with the opposite of a Cole 1st inning
bearkatag15
AG

Spoiler alert: he picks Houston
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 356 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.