***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,069 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

Great to hear about Straw. Hope he continues to leave him out of trade discussions this year.

Sounds like Fisher has staying power as of now. Could definitely see him being part of a trade based on how he talked about Straw. Straw sounds like the one they want to keep based on the notes of the interview.

Sounds like Stubbs and Mayfield will be the first 2 sent down.

Luhnow throwing smokescreens regarding Alvarez getting called up. Hilarious. "Hey guys, look over here! Tucker is smashing the ball too, he could just as well be called up before Alvarez!"
I just don't take Luhnow as much of a smokescreen guy, but he very well may come up this weekend like McTaggert says.

We see this team playing guys all over the field. So the question is, has Alvarez shown the improvements management would like to see in LF and 1st base? We don't really have the answer to that and no one is really commenting on that out of RR because of the ridiculous offense he's got going right now. If not, I don't see Luhnow bringing him up.

I also think people thinking his defense doesn't matter because he could just DH don't understand that's not the Astros' philosophy at DH. They will continue to rotate different guys through that spot as partial off days because they believe in having everyone as healthy as possible for the stretch run. Alvarez has to be able to play at least 1 position decently in my opinion.
Farmer1906
AG
MOCO9
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Would LOVE to play and beat the Dodgers again in the WS.
MAROON
AG
redline248 said:

Does anyone have video of straw running the bases?

Deluxe
AG

Great find.
bearkatag15
AG
Hope we see Brantley, Bregman, Chirinos and Kemp in the lineup tonight.

redline248
AG
Thanks, he was flying.

The video of secretariat is hilarious and appropriate
Mathguy64
AG
Man Seattle is bad. They opened 13-2 with HR's like crazy and a +43 run diff. Then back in April, we came to their place, kicked the crap out of them the first time and them have been falling like a rock every since. They may legitimately be the worst team in the majors. Worse than Miami. Since that 13-2 open, they are 12-37 with a -121 run diff during that span. Thats a 0.245 win %. Woof.

Need to beat them every time we play them.
bearkatag15
AG
Astros going heavy pitchers today. All 3 picks so far have been pitchers

Hulla Baller
AG
What was our record at this time for the 2017 and 2018 seasons?
bearkatag15
AG
Hulla Baller said:

What was our record at this time for the 2017 and 2018 seasons?
43-19 in 2017
37-25 in 2018
jkag89
2017: 43 - 19 (12 games up on the Angels)
2018: 37 - 25 (2½ games behind Seattle)
jr15aggie
AG
So many star players out... it matters not... all the W's are belong to us!
Farmer1906
AG
MOCO9 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Would LOVE to play and beat the Dodgers again in the WS.

Dodgers would help build a rivalry and give them a Buffalo Bills aspect to them, but i would mind someone else like the Cubs, Cards, or Braves.
iBrad
AG
I think one important thing to keep in mind with the AAA guys is that the balls are flying out of the ballparks this year. Even Jack Mayfield has 10 bombs for Round Rock.

While our guys are putting up very impressive numbers, it's not equivalent to years past, which means you'll likely see an even greater drop off in the big leagues. Look at the struggles of Vlad Jr early on. And he's still just batting .248.

When you bring a guy like Alvarez up, you want him to play and you want him stay. And you have to let him work through his struggles. The issue right now seems to be how to get him in the lineup given his defensive limitations so that he can get consistent at bats.
Ag12thman
AG

I love this team.
iBrad
AG
And the home run earlier in the game appeared to tip his glove.
Beat40
Yeah, he was really close to catching that one. He's been lights out this year. What a great first half for him so far.
Farmer1906
AG
Outs Above Average
Marisnick - 6 (tied for 4th in baseball)
Springer - 2
Reddick - 0
Brantley - (-1)

Quote:

Outs Above Average (OAA) is the cumulative effect of all individual Catch Probability plays a fielder has been credited or debited with, making it a range-based metric of fielding skill that accounts for the number of plays made and the difficulty of them. For example, a fielder who catches a 25% Catch Probability play gets +.75; one who fails to make the play gets -.25
redline248
AG
Reddick sure seems like higher than 0, doesn't he?
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

Reddick sure seems like higher than 0, doesn't he?
Yeah I thought that was odd...I guess he must have had some plays to cancel them out but I'm struggling trying to think of any.
CSWendt
I still am not sold on the defensive metrics they have out there. Especially catch probabilities. They never seem to line up % with difficulty.
DVC2010
AG
CSWendt said:

I still am not sold on the defensive metrics they have out there. Especially catch probabilities. They never seem to line up % with difficulty.

I agree that defensive metrics are much less mature and robust than what we have for offense and pitching, but "never seeming to line up" is exactly why we need them. We are so bad at subjectively evaluating defensive value.
iBrad
AG
I wonder what Jake's total would be if he were an everyday player. He should rarely be losing points, so it's just accumulation with him.
redline248
AG
DVC2010 said:

CSWendt said:

I agree that defensive metrics are much less mature and robust than what we have for offense and pitching, but "never seeming to line up" is exactly why we need them. We are so bad at subjectively evaluating defensive value.
No doubt. I remember, years ago, someone talking about Jeter or Nomar or someone like that and saying how fielding percentage doesn't tell the whole story. Guys like that have such a great range that they get to way more balls than the average guy. The average guy may have a better fielding percent, but he's also letting more balls go for hits b/c he lacks the range.
Mr President Elect
AG
DVC2010 said:

CSWendt said:

Yeah, and when they showed the "sacrifice fly" line when we were playing the RedSox, I thought to my self it was wayyy to far back. And then we ended up hitting it like 20-50ft short (couple of occasions) and still scored. I get we pushed it and got a little lucky, but still, that metric seemed way off.
Beat40
DVC2010 said:

CSWendt said:

But I also think there are some subtle flaws in some of the metric as well. For instance, I think there was a discussion on the hit probability metric last year on Tyler's walk-off homer against Oakland that was like a 1% hit probability.

If I remember correctly, the hit probability metric takes into account all balls hit at that exit velo, launch angle, etc across all parks. Certainly valuable, but it misleads viewers watching into thinking that's the hit percentage at the park they are watching. The hit percentage might actually be a lower at a specific park, which makes the defensive play more spectacular or the opposite if the hit percentage is higher at a specific park.

I'm not arguing with you. The metrics are very helpful because there is no way we can take into account the range of average players when judging defensive plays. We are getting way more value now than we ever have.

I think what would ultimately make more sense defensively is if we could get overlays of the league average of an average center fielder's range verses the specific player. In game, that would be super useful. I know this isn't a metric, I'm just thinking of the casual fan.

Harry Dunne
CSWendt said:

I agree that the catch probabilities are weird. We had this discussion last year...White hit a pop-up to the Crawford Boxes that had a catch probability of 99% even though it should have been 0%. IIRC the way they define the percentage is broad where you would think it was specific to that situation.

As far as overall metrics like dWar, they make range a heavy part of the equation. They are more likely to be accurate over the course of a season for a middle infielder, who gets a ton of chances than a corner OF.

It's a lot easier now later in his career as he is obviously being cautious and has slowed down a lot that Brantley is not a great outfielder. He has great hands and a great arm - he once went 200+ consecutive games without an error of any sort and used to be among the league leaders in OF assists...but even in 2014 as he was on the list for gold glove finalists, the metrics showed he was a below average OF because his range was poor...and now his range is extremely poor.

I have taken heat on here before for saying Reddick doesn't have great range, but it's just a fact. He's great in every other aspect of fielding and in aggregate stats like dWar he has been lower because he can't stay healthy, but now that even sprint speed is quantifiable, it's clear that like all ballplayers, he's not nearly as fast at age 32 as he was at his defensive peak in his mid-20s.
Harry Dunne
DVC2010 said:

CSWendt said:

Yes - exactly! We are still judging a fielder's merits on spectacular plays rather than the big picture.

If this were true for hitting, the Justin Maxwells and Chris Carters of the world would be MLB All-stars, not Long Island Ducks.
W
AG
another thing to keep in mind...

Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Jake --- the entire outfield plus Yuli...are free agents after the 2020 season.

Luhnow may try to hang onto all the young OF's...Fisher, Straw, Tucker to take over in 2021.

but of course the young guys don't want to wait that long
Beat40
As far as Reddick goes, I also think the game has shifted some as well which might be skewing his defensive rankings. Teams are not really looking for guys that can hit 30+ HR a year to play LF and RF. He was probably on the edge of that transition in his mid-20s and now teams are moving more toward the Buxton, Betts, Fisher, Straw, Marisnick times who can cover a lot of ground and have some pop. The game has changed a lot in 7 years.

Would be interesting to see if any of the above theory bears out.
rosco511
AG
iBrad said:

I think one important thing to keep in mind with the AAA guys is that the balls are flying out of the ballparks this year. Even Jack Mayfield has 10 bombs for Round Rock.

While our guys are putting up very impressive numbers, it's not equivalent to years past, which means you'll likely see an even greater drop off in the big leagues. Look at the struggles of Vlad Jr early on. And he's still just batting .248.

When you bring a guy like Alvarez up, you want him to play and you want him stay. And you have to let him work through his struggles. The issue right now seems to be how to get him in the lineup given his defensive limitations so that he can get consistent at bats.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Triple A went to MLB balls this year and homerun rates have significantly increased as compared to last year.
titanmaster_race
rosco511 said:

iBrad said:

This cannot be emphasized enough. Triple A went to MLB balls this year and homerun rates have significantly increased as compared to last year.

I don't think any of us believe that Alvarez will come up and keep his same AAA batting stats in the bigs. But what else can he do in the minors? I don't think there's much more improvement possible for him against minor league pitching. He's either smoking the ball or getting intentionally walked.
Mr.Ackar07
Astros just drafted Peyton Plumlee out of Mississippi St:

bearkatag15
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 333 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.