***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,254 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marlins have one of the worst offenses in mlb history this year...

...and they put up an 11 spot in the 5th tonight against the Brew crew. Baseball is a weird game.
Mr President Elect
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

...and they put up an 11 spot in the 5th tonight against the Brew crew. Baseball is a weird game.
Not only that, their entire line-up had an rbi in ONE inning.
titanmaster_race
willjohnathan said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Not only that, their entire line-up had an rbi in ONE inning.

Y'all need to watch the highlights from that game. The Brewers put in a position player to pitch the 9th who had fun with it and imitated several pitchers' windups and deliveries
Mathguy64
AG
I gave up last night in the 6th when Guduan came in. I wake up to see he gave up the 3 run triple, officially is credited with 7 pitches, 1 hit, no runs, one out and a win. That's freaking hilarious.
Deluxe
AG
mathguy86 said:

I gave up last night in the 6th when Guduan came in. I wake up to see he gave up the 3 run triple, officially is credited with 7 pitches, 1 hit, no runs, one out and a win. That's freaking hilarious.

That's why I love the win stat so much. It didn't seem like Guduan pitched good last night, but the win stat doesn't lie.
CoachRTM
AG
If Straw can start at short, he could also do spot duty at 2B. Sounds like Kemp might be the odd man out.
Agnzona
Buck Compton said:

That speed in 3 or 4 straight batters is deadly.

There isn't room for everyone but imagine some combo with our big bats at 1-4 and than this speed with contact at 6-9. That's going to lead to a lot of big innings...
CoachRTM
AG
We are so deep right now it's not funny. I'm trying to come up with our best lineup for the playoffs and it's not easy.

CF - Springer
3B - Bregman
2B - Altuve
DH - Brantley
SS - Correa
1B - Alvarez
C - Chrinos
RF - Reddick
LF - Straw

Bench :
1B - Gurriel - I can see Alvarez taking his starting spot. You could also swap Gurriel in for Straw by moving Alvarez to LF
UTIL - Diaz
OF - Marisnick - defensive sub late/ pinch runner
OF - Fisher - main pinch runner

Not on the roster :
OF - Tucker - at this point it kinda seems like it's him or Alvarez from a numbers perspective
OF - Kemp - trade bait
1B/ DH - White - trade bait

Honestly, there are so many options with Alvarez, depending on how he does once called up and what positions he's able to play. Do you move him ahead of Correa to "protect" the quality of pitches he's seeing? Can he play LF?
Ag_07
AG
I'm afraid to say this because I don't want ti to sound like I'm bashing on Luhnow, but this is what happens when you draft well then horde prospects and don't move minor league guys. I'm also not saying he should just be giving guys away but you just can't keep everyone.

Now we've got 4 guys with no options you can't do anything with and a group of young guys who are outperforming 2 of them on the big league club and oh yeah...2 studs absolutely raking in AAA.

Good problem to have but it is a problem and the only solution is trading a few nice pieces for a legit contributor (hopefully in the form of a #3 starter).
Bobcat-Ag
I don't think that we could turn Kemp and White into a #3 starter. We would have to give up some combination of Fisher, Straw, Reed or one of our mid level prospects.

It can be done, you would just have to include Kemp or White in the deal in order to make some room on the 40 man.
ontheedge
Kemp ain't going anywhere.
Beau Bevers
AG
The real winners in all this: the good citizens of Round Rock. Imagine the giant leap in quality baseball they are now privileged to witness this year as opposed to the garbage that was inflicted upon them by their previous parent club from South Oklahoma.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not talking about Kemp or White. Yeah I don't think they're worth much on the trade market. I was more referring to Fisher, Straw, and the plethora of talent on the farm.

Yes it sucks to lose guys of that talent but truth is we can't keep everyone. There's just not room.
Frok
AG
I'm anxious to see what Alvarez can do. If he can do anything close to what he is doing in AAA he will be a major upgrade from White at DH.

iBrad
AG
Look at the outfielders that used to be in the farm system. Deshields, Laureano, Santana, Hernandez, Phillips. We've traded and been forced to not protect a lot of prospects. There's a number of former pitching prospects in the bigs on other teams, too. And guys like JD Davis, Colin Moran, etc. You can't trade everyone.

Forgot about Jason Martin, too. Outfielder dealt in the Cole trade who has seen some action in the bigs this year.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

I'm afraid to say this because I don't want ti to sound like I'm bashing on Luhnow, but this is what happens when you draft well then horde prospects and don't move minor league guys. I'm also not saying he should just be giving guys away but you just can't keep everyone.

Now we've got 4 guys with no options you can't do anything with and a group of young guys who are outperforming 2 of them on the big league club and oh yeah...2 studs absolutely raking in AAA.

Good problem to have but it is a problem and the only solution is trading a few nice pieces for a legit contributor (hopefully in the form of a #3 starter).
I disagree with most of this.

First of all, he has traded a bunch of prospects and guys early in their career with a bunch of potential. Teoscar Hernandez, Domingo Santana, Josh Hader, Brett Phillips who hasn't quite panned out but was highly regarded, Ramon Laureano, all the guys in the Cole trade (Feliz, Musgrove, Moran, Martin) and JD Davis. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Secondly, Luhnow has made some great trades but he's stronger at building from within. It makes sense that he'd value his pieces over someone else's. You can't second guess the Fiers or Liriano trades because they helped us win a WS...but you've got to feel like we would have won one anyway. Fiers held it down when others were injured, but those guys didn't do much in the postseason. In 2019 it would be nice to have the guys we traded for them. That's got to give Luhnow some pause.

Lastly Fisher was untouchable, then he was slow to get going, last week everyone was saying he sucks and calling him up is a sure sign we are valuing money and cheap contracts over winning. Now he has "earned his spot" after a few good ABs. Everyone said JD Davis sucked. Now he's pretty solid for the Mets. We'd be playing him every day if we had him. Everyone says Tyler White sucks...and we do need to trade him because he's the odd man out, but he will also be productive for someone and we may even regret it.

Trust in Luhnow.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Trust in Luhnow.

I do. You'd be crazy not to. He's proven himself over and over again.

Just an observation that holding on to guys especially to the point where they have no options has it's complications. Like we're seeing now it kinda handcuff you to the point where you don't have room for guys like Fisher and Straw (and to an extent Tucker and Alvarez) who may be outperforming the guys with no options (Kemp and White).

Someone is gonna have to go one way of the other either via a DFA or a trade.
Frok
AG
Derek Fisher is trade bait IMO. He could help land another SP.
AgFan1999
AG
I went to the Express game on Saturday. Seemed like the roster of the Corpus Christi Hooks. And Alvarez wasn't in the lineup.
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

Yes. If they truly believe in Tucker then that makes Fisher expendable.
titanmaster_race
mathguy86 said:

I don't know why guduan keeps getting callups. He is terrible!
Harry Dunne
Frok said:

If we can get a good return for him, but Fisher could absolutely be a future all-star. He has been called a "faster Jeromy Burnitz" by scouts. Burnitz was a super highly regarded OF prospect in the early 90s who scuffled early on, was traded a couple of times and then finally broke out and was a 20-20 guy at age 28 and was a borderline all-star OF for about a decade. I don't think we want to trade that for another Mike Fiers.

Either way his trade value right now is minimal. You're not going to get a SP better than Miley or Peacock for Fisher, White, Kemp and lottery tickets.

At this point, I don't want to trade any of them. I'd like to see what we're working with and then rent at the deadline. It's not like we need help to win the West - we need another arm (or two) for the postseason.

Deluxe
AG
I was actually thinking about that last night... what our lineup might look like at the end of the year.

I think the lineup you listed would be a good road lineup for stadiums with big outfields (ie NYY and MIN). Then we can reshuffle a little bit at home and in Boston where playing LF doesn't require much speed...

Springer CF
Atluve 2B
Bregman 3B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
Gurriel 1B

I'm not a fan of Yuli hitting cleanup, but I'm a huge fan of Yuli hitting 9th.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Trust in Luhnow.

I do. You'd be crazy not to. He's proven himself over and over again.

Just an observation that holding on to guys especially to the point where they have no options has it's complications. Like we're seeing now it kinda handcuff you to the point where you don't have room for guys like Fisher and Straw (and to an extent Tucker and Alvarez) who may be outperforming the guys with no options (Kemp and White).

Someone is gonna have to go one way of the other either via a DFA or a trade.
No, not really. The only complication I see is a 10-game lead and a bunch of trash teams chasing us. No need to make hard decisions today.

I'm excited about Fisher and Straw too, but Fisher only has 32 ABs this season and just got his career average over the Mendoza line. Straw is a weapon, but he has a grand total of 22 career ABs. For sure let's keep running them out there while we can and see what we've got, but let's not get the anointing oil out just yet.
CSWendt
The trade I wouldn't mind seeing is being able to flip any combo of White, Kemp, Fisher, and Straw for Madison Bumgarner. Giants might require one higher ranked prospect in that deal.

Could you imagine Bumgarner being your number 3 in the playoffs? I know he hasn't been lights out this year, but the dude is the best postseason pitcher of all-time.
Mr.Ackar07
CSWendt said:

The trade I wouldn't mind seeing is being able to flip any combo of White, Kemp, Fisher, and Straw for Madison Bumgarner. Giants might require one higher ranked prospect in that deal. But could you imagine Bumgarner being your number 3 in the playoffs? I know he hasn't been lights out this year, but the dude is the best postseason pitcher of all-time.
Actually depending on who had home field advantage in the World Series, he would be either your #2 or #3 starter so he can hit.
Deluxe
AG
In the spirit of calling Kyle Tucker "Ted", should we come up with premature super star nicknames for all our prospects?

Alvarez - Papi
Whitley - Rocket
Straw - Rickie (Rickie Henderson)
Mayfield - The Captain
agsquirrel97
AG
Deluxe said:

In the spirit of calling Kyle Tucker "Ted", should we come up with premature super star nicknames for all our prospects?

Alvarez - Papi
Whitley - Rocket
Straw - Rickie (Rickie Henderson)
Mayfield - The Captain
TexAgs gonna TexAgs. This never ceases to amaze me.

bearkatag15
AG

Ted was named player of the month for the PCL
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

I was actually thinking about that last night... what our lineup might look like at the end of the year.

I think the lineup you listed would be a good road lineup for stadiums with big outfields (ie NYY and MIN). Then we can reshuffle a little bit at home and in Boston where playing LF doesn't require much speed...

Springer CF
Atluve 2B
Bregman 3B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
Gurriel 1B

I'm not a fan of Yuli hitting cleanup, but I'm a huge fan of Yuli hitting 9th.
I hope Alvarez is everything we think he will be, but conservatively and realistically (and also not wanting Springer in CF or Brantley in the field at all), I'd put Jake in CF and batting 9th (or very optimistically Fisher or Straw if either can keep it up), George in LF and Brantley at DH.
CFTXAG10
AG
Luhnow on 790 just a little while ago:

- Straw is exciting! Showing fans why we were so happy about having him up. Teams have called about his availability in trade talks but we have kept him out for now. Think teams believe we don't value him as much as we do.
- What makes guys untouchable? Nobody is. But obviously the high profile guys will require an extraordinary return. Mentioned some recent examples like Kyle Tucker rumors.
- Straw was in AA 2 years ago and we talked about calling him up for his speed in the playoffs for the ALCS and WS. Mentioned Fisher filling that role instead, scoring on Bregmans hit FTW.
- Very happy with how the draft played out, mentioned a few players and their tools
- Asked about disappointment with Correa situation: Reality is that players are always trying to be their best, even when it comes to getting treatment off the field. It is unfortunate, but nice to have a 10 game lead so you dont have to rush guys back. More important to have everyone healthy for stretch run.
- Really appreciating that Derek Fisher is getting an opportunity. Something different this time around. He feels like he belongs in the majors, which is why we see him playing so well. When Springer and the rest come back we are going to have to push some guys down, but later in the year with expanded rosters it will be great that these guys are getting big league exerience.
- On Corbin Martin: he will be back. The stuff is elite. How to sequence pitches and not fall behind is something to learn in AAA. Has all the weapons. Just focus on getting ahead instead of trying to nibble. Learning curve. Next time he comes up he will be even better. Mentioned DK's path in relation to Corbin, going through ebbs and flows.
- Every night he gets a notification about Alavarez mashing, but people need to realize even Tucker is playing well down there. Want to bring Alvarez up but have him STAY up, and not flip back and forth.
- Gonna continue to evaluate what we have in trades/acquisitions but will likely be active in the market as the season goes on. Mentions potential to obviously add rotation piece.
redline248
AG
Does anyone have video of straw running the bases?
bearkatag15
AG
Great to hear about Straw. Hope he continues to leave him out of trade discussions this year.

Sounds like Fisher has staying power as of now. Could definitely see him being part of a trade based on how he talked about Straw. Straw sounds like the one they want to keep based on the notes of the interview.

Sounds like Stubbs and Mayfield will be the first 2 sent down.

Luhnow throwing smokescreens regarding Alvarez getting called up. Hilarious. "Hey guys, look over here! Tucker is smashing the ball too, he could just as well be called up before Alvarez!"
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

Does anyone have video of straw running the bases?
At the 1:35 remaining mark of the recap video has Straw scoring from 1st on Jake's double.

https://www.facebook.com/AstrosRecaps/videos/479519319456517/
bearkatag15
AG
Here is the audio if anyone wants to listen

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/houston-sports-news/content/2019-06-05-jeff-luhnow-talks-injuries-and-draft-on-the-sean-salisbury-show-podcast/?Keyid=socialflow&Sc=editorial&Pname=local_social
First Page Last Page
Page 332 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.