***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,850,617 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
03_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag614 said:

dshedd41 said:

He lost a fan in me. Scum move.

You wouldn't understand unless you've played on a grand stage. When I lost my American Legion state game at Minute Maid the last thing I wanted to do was talk to my school newspaper.
agdaddy04
AG
Dang, already having withdrawals. At least it'll be another short offseason.
Feb 22nd is first game against Washington. I imagine pitchers and catchers will report 10 days or so before that...
So around 104 days.
the last of the bohemians
I would like to think every player on the Astros was as pi$$ed as Cole after the loss last night (although I think there was more moping than anger and frustration). That's competitive spirit, would take a whole team of players like that everyday of the week over a bunch Boy Scouts.
n_touch
Charlie Conway said:

I wonder if he's upset the Astros didn't try and extend him

I thought there was talk at spring training last year but it quickly moved to him wanting to experience free agency
AggiEE
the last of the bohemians said:

I would like to think every player on the Astros was as pi$$ed as Cole after the loss last night (although I think there was more moping than anger and frustration). That's competitive spirit, would take a whole team of players like that everyday of the week over a bunch Boy Scouts.

Cole has to be more pissed than anyone

He's your 2019 CY Young

Best pitcher on on our team and the league in general

And he's available in a G7 WS, your team up 2-1, with only 8 outs left. He's in that spot there's a high likelihood we win that game.

If we lose at least we played our best and not a rookie for crying out loud. Hinch was so used to managing for the regular season he totally forgot we were in the last game of the world series. Totally careless
JYDog90
AG
I've heard...maybe on here...that he's a players' union rep so he feels like he needs to get the big contract for everybody. He even alluded to it with Papi and Frank and ARod on the postgame after the yankee series.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Cromagnum
AG
txag614 said:

dshedd41 said:

Yep. I'm off the Cole train too after seeing how he handled this.
AggiEE
Cromagnum said:

txag614 said:

dshedd41 said:

He handled it like the competitor he is.

He was 8 outs away from a World Series win that he may never see again. It's heart breaking as a competitor and a fan.

The best pitcher in baseball was available and we didn't even try. If he blows it, at least we put in our best. Now we'll only ever wonder what if.
Ag_07
AG
Being a fiery competitor is one thing.

Being an a-hole and pulling some BS stunt like this another.

Being one doesn't give you an excuse to be another.
AggiEE
He wasn't an a-hole to the organization, just the press. I think his comments are misinterpreted.

It's probably one of the worst moments of his entire life, he didn't want to talk. Period.
Liquid Wrench
Breaking news: players are human!

Most of them probably don't like having the press in the locker room under normal circumstances, let alone right after losing the world freaking series. Pitching in game 7 of the WS is something you dreamed about since you were a kid, and he was actually in the bullpen.

Lots of emotions going on after a game like that and knowing it was his last as an Astro.

But hey - we now know he didn't put the Boras hat on for the press avail since he wasn't expecting to do one, so people can stop *****ing about that already.
lil99chris
AG
Amy Cole says Gerrit has been wearing the hat throughout the season.

https://abc13.com/sports/amy-cole-defends-husband-in-twitter-war-with-heated-fan/5662282/
Nino Brown
Being competitive or being a five year old in a grown mans body? Please tell me you saw him look at the Astros logo when he walked up.
Mathguy64
AG
Cole is a perfect example of why players should be given space from media after games like this. They are emotional and do dumb things.

If he signed tomorrow for a reasonable contract I would love to have him. This kind of nonsense is just emotion boiling over.
03_Aggie
Nino Brown said:

Being competitive or being a five year old in a grown mans body? Please tell me you saw him look at the Astros logo when he walked up.

Ha. Check the emotions of people on this thread during the games and all they have at stake is the ability to buy a shirt or hat.

The guy didn't want to talk to the media, simple as that. Can't say I'd blame him in that situation.
iBrad
AG
Will Harris talked and you could see how upset he was. He's a free agent, too, so technically unemployed. How about, "we just lost the World Series, I don't feel like talking," The unemployed crap was dumb and was more than just a bad decision in the moment. Much like Taubman, you can make bad decisions in an emotional situation, but there's usually a little something behind those statements. He just lacked better judgement to hold his tongue in that moment.
Marvin
AG
AggiEE said:

He wasn't an a-hole to the organization, just the press. I think his comments are misinterpreted.

It's probably one of the worst moments of his entire life, he didn't want to talk. Period.

Ok, I'd buy it, but use that defense instead of the "I'm not an employee" and "I'll represent myself" trash that the threw out. Why bring that up if he was just being rude to the press? He was an a-hole. Maybe it's not him overall, but in that situation there's zero doubt in my mind.

Moving on...

Harry Dunne
willie wonka said:

I've heard...maybe on here...that he's a players' union rep so he feels like he needs to get the big contract for everybody. He even alluded to it with Papi and Frank and ARod on the postgame after the yankee series.

He wants to be in Southern California and he's going to be able to get the max there, so stop pretending you're doing it for the players. There's nothing altruistic about getting paid 35M a year. Conversely, no shame in going to get the most money to live where you want to live.

Bottom line if he really wanted to be in Houston, he'd find a way. I'm sure we'd find a way to pay him 25M a year. Yeah it would be crazy for him to give up that much money to stay but when you're already making 25 million a year what are you doing with that extra 10 anyway? That's more than you could ever spend & I don't see Cole as the type that giving it all to humanitarian aid like a Tim Tebow.
03_Aggie
Marvin said:

AggiEE said:

Ok, I'd buy it, but use that defense instead of the "I'm not an employee" and "I'll represent myself" trash that the threw out. Why bring that up if he was just being rude to the press? He was an a-hole. Maybe it's not him overall, but in that situation there's zero doubt in my mind.

Moving on...

He's a smart guy. I suspect there are media obligations for the players by MLB. He was trying to say they don't apply to me since I am technically unemployed now.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly

The whole betterment of the players is just a BS cop out so he doesn't have to say 'I'm getting mine'. If you say it's for the players then it's not a money grab.
Frok
AG
Looking forward to the Greinke bobble head doll where he is being taken out by Hinch.

Marvin
AG
Frok said:

Looking forward to the Greinke bobble head doll where he is being taken out by Hinch.

Haha, the head only moves sideways (Nooooo!!)
CFTXAG10
AG
Frok said:

The AJ Hinch Captain Hook bobblehead
Cromagnum
AG
AggiEE said:

Cromagnum said:

txag614 said:

dshedd41 said:

He handled it like the competitor he is.

He was 8 outs away from a World Series win that he may never see again. It's heart breaking as a competitor and a fan.

The best pitcher in baseball was available and we didn't even try. If he blows it, at least we put in our best. Now we'll only ever wonder what if.

Bad take is bad. We have NEVER used him as a reliever let alone under short rest on top of things. He could have stunk up the joint for all we know.
Pahdz
Maybe Trevor Bauer was on the right side of the beef at UCLA
spadilly
S
Deluxe
AG
Cromagnum said:

Bad take is bad. We have NEVER used him as a reliever let alone under short rest on top of things. He could have stunk up the joint for all we know.
I don't feel like arguing about this but in game 7 of the World Series, if you're gonna go down, you go down with your best. We had a hall of fame pitcher on the mound pitching the game of his life and the best pitcher in baseball available in the bullpen. The grave mistake Hinch made was giving Washington the opportunity to comeback without going through Greinke or Cole.

Plenty of starting pitchers have had success out of the bullpen in elimination games on short rest. Cole is among the most durable arms in the league. And the "he could have stunk up the joint" argument applies to Harris and Osuna too.
TexasRebel
AG
Cole said what he said to clarify to the media that they were not talking to someone currently employed by the Astros and his answers were his own views, not to be mistaken for the opinions of a club he was no longer on.

Kind of like paid programming.

That doesn't mean they can't strike a deal later. Just that at tat moment he was speaking on his own terms.
astros4545
AG
TexasRebel said:

Cole said what he said to clarify to the media that they were not talking to someone currently employed by the Astros and his answers were his own views, not to be mistaken for the opinions of a club he was no longer on.

That doesn't mean they can't strike a deal later. Just that at tat moment he was speaking on his own terms.

He was a pissy child in that moment

That is the only interpretation
irish pete ag06
AG
astros4545 said:

TexasRebel said:

He was a pissy child in that moment

That is the only interpretation
Yep. I don't care what he has to clarify. And I know we are all emotional in the moment you lose a Game 7, but body language and actions show nothing different. The Boras cap was the icing on the cake.

Also, whoever pointed out Julia "noping" out there as soon as he was throwing the minor fit... that was really telling. She's a pseudo Astros employee, so I can't blame her for trying to not be a part of that.
dshedd41
S
I know this may upset some people on here but this is a great reminder to uplift your spirits
Gig’em Aggies!
Cromagnum
AG
Deluxe said:

Cromagnum said:

I don't feel like arguing about this but in game 7 of the World Series, if you're gonna go down, you go down with your best. We had a hall of fame pitcher on the mound pitching the game of his life and the best pitcher in baseball available in the bullpen. The grave mistake Hinch made was giving Washington the opportunity to comeback without going through Greinke or Cole.

Plenty of starting pitchers have had success out of the bullpen in elimination games on short rest. Cole is among the most durable arms in the league. And the "he could have stunk up the joint" argument applies to Harris and Osuna too.

I'm on the side of the fence that said to keep Greinke in until you cant anymore.
irish pete ag06
AG
I didn't post at the time because I don't post too much in real time, but I wanted Greinke pulled before he faced Rendon/Soto for the 3rd time no matter how much he was dominating or not.

Just the way I was thinking.
TRM
AG
I would agree with that if they were getting good swings on him, but they weren't.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I didn't post at the time because I don't post too much in real time, but I wanted Greinke pulled before he faced Rendon/Soto for the 3rd time no matter how much he was dominating or not.

Just the way I was thinking.
As good as he was doing, I wanted him to face them. Even after the first mistake pitch and HR, I just wanted to basically give Soto nothing to hit and walk him if you walk him (we got screwed a little here), but then let Greinke face the non-elite hitters after and get out of it.

IDK who you wanted to come in to face Rendon & Soto, but Soto has destroyed Cole this WS. I wanted Cole in, but not right then.
First Page Last Page
Page 2126 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.