***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,788 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
979ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cole and others can be mad all they want, but Harris made an unbelievable pitch with two strikes. Kendrick just put bat on ball and it happened to leave the yard.

I'm sure Cole knew if Harris gets two outs, Cole pitches the 8th and 9th. I think Cole was madder at Harris than Hinch in the end.

AustinCountyAg
Harry Dunne said:

willie wonka said:

I've heard...maybe on here...that he's a players' union rep so he feels like he needs to get the big contract for everybody. He even alluded to it with Papi and Frank and ARod on the postgame after the yankee series.

He wants to be in Southern California and he's going to be able to get the max there, so stop pretending you're doing it for the players. There's nothing altruistic about getting paid 35M a year. Conversely, no shame in going to get the most money to live where you want to live.

Bottom line if he really wanted to be in Houston, he'd find a way. I'm sure we'd find a way to pay him 25M a year. Yeah it would be crazy for him to give up that much money to stay but when you're already making 25 million a year what are you doing with that extra 10 anyway? That's more than you could ever spend & I don't see Cole as the type that giving it all to humanitarian aid like a Tim Tebow.

In MLB there is no such thing as a "max" contract
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

I didn't post at the time because I don't post too much in real time, but I wanted Greinke pulled before he faced Rendon/Soto for the 3rd time no matter how much he was dominating or not.

Just the way I was thinking.
As good as he was doing, I wanted him to face them. Even after the first mistake pitch and HR, I just wanted to basically give Soto nothing to hit and walk him if you walk him (we got screwed a little here), but then let Greinke face the non-elite hitters after and get out of it.

IDK who you wanted to come in to face Rendon & Soto, but Soto has destroyed Cole this WS. I wanted Cole in, but not right then.
That's the thing for me. Greinke did what you'd want him to do that inning. He got Eaton. Then he challenged Rendon with a two run lead and bases empty. Then he pitched around Soto with a one run lead and bases empty. He was at 80 pitches. Hall of fame pitcher that you gave up four good prospects to get. The ONLY move you potentially think about at that juncture is to get Cole in the game but it was agreed before the game that he wouldn't come in mid-inning.

Like others have said, Harris didn't even make a bad pitch. But Greinke had them off balance all night and clearly Kendrick had an idea that the low/away slider was coming because he sat on it and rocked it. Now we always have to wonder what if Hinch had just let our hall of fame pitcher (who was pitching the game of his life) ride.
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

I didn't post at the time because I don't post too much in real time, but I wanted Greinke pulled before he faced Rendon/Soto for the 3rd time no matter how much he was dominating or not.

Just the way I was thinking.
As good as he was doing, I wanted him to face them. Even after the first mistake pitch and HR, I just wanted to basically give Soto nothing to hit and walk him if you walk him (we got screwed a little here), but then let Greinke face the non-elite hitters after and get out of it.

IDK who you wanted to come in to face Rendon & Soto, but Soto has destroyed Cole this WS. I wanted Cole in, but not right then.
I don't know what Hinch was going to do in my scenario, but I would have maybe gone Joe Smith to Rendon, then brought in Harris after Smith faced Rendon, or hell even Osuna. There is no such thing as a save in this situation. Only high or low leverage.
TexasRebel
AG
Hell. If you're going to do weird things just to be weird, why not pitch Altuve there?
Philip J Fry
AG
Hinch should have either brought in Cole to begin the inning or let Greinke work it out. Way overreacted to a walk induced by a bad call.
ontheedge
DenverAg91
AG

Read the entire thread
Ag12thman
AG
Wow. Was he expected to be released, I guess? I need to get up to speed on who is expected to stay and who is not.

I'll miss this guy. Sad to see him go. He really loved H-Town, too, obviously. Class act.
Bulldog73
AG
He signed a 1 year deal last year and is a UFA, so I'm assuming he's going to try to sign as a starter somewhere.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
dshedd41 said:

Cool now learn to bunt
AgsMyDude
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Hinch should have either brought in Cole to begin the inning or let Greinke work it out. Way overreacted to a walk induced by a bad call.

This decision is going to sting for awhile for me. If we never get back to the stage with this group of players, I'll probably never let it go tbh. Horrible, knee jerk reaction. Unbelievable.
Farmer1906
AG
The other thread is open.
Liquid Wrench
Farmer1906 said:

I'm not ready!
Philip J Fry
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's barely been two days. After 162 games plus the post season, I'm not yer ready to just flip the switch.
the last of the bohemians
After a couple of days to think about it.......nothing has changed,.GREINKE should have faced another batter.
When Greinke out pitches Verlander next year, will Hinch learn to trust him, apparently having a HOF resume didn't earn the trust this year.
"I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande"
AgsMyDude
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So ignore this one
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

"I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande"

Nice reference.
redline248
AG
Anyone read Hinch's q&a with the athletic?
sts7049
AG
yep. i am firmly in hinch's camp on this one. I've never been a fan of starters pitching on short rest or from the bullpen in the playoffs. too many bad examples of them not having good stuff.

kendrick hit a good pitch. that happens in baseball sometimes.
Mr.Bond
AG
#StillNoReasonToPullGreinke
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Philip J Fry
AG
If anything, Harris was the wrong choice anyway. His stuff is too close to Zach's. They've been seeing high 80s fastballs all night. Would have rather put in anyone with a mid 90s or higher fastball to keep them off balance.
lil99chris
AG
Additionally, how many games did Harris pitch in the World Series. Limit exposure.
Philip J Fry
AG
And that's a result of not having any other relief pitchers we can trust in high leverage situations.

Why can we turn around SP so easily, but not RP? Does Strom not spend the same amount of time with them?
SquirrellyDan
AG
979ag said:

Cole and others can be mad all they want, but Harris made an unbelievable pitch with two strikes. Kendrick just put bat on ball and it happened to leave the yard.

I'm sure Cole knew if Harris gets two outs, Cole pitches the 8th and 9th. I think Cole was madder at Harris than Hinch in the end.

I was right by that right foul pole I never thought it was going to hit it off the bat. That loud thump of baseball on metal was a switch off for my fun for the night. Ah well, still a great experience and I would have regretted not going. Hell of a season. Go stros 2020.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
mAgnoliAg
AG
Yeah I'd say we were gracious hosts
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
jkag89
dshedd41 said:

Yuli, Tuve & Bregs were all runners up at their positions.

The 2019 Gold Glove Award winners are ...
spadilly
S
Favorite moment from the 2019 season?

Asked a few friends and here's the list so far:

Tyler White being traded
Julia dancing video
Altuve - ALCS Game 6
Michelle Margeaux leaving
WS Flashers
agdaddy04
AG
ALCS Game 6?
spadilly
S
Thanks. Fixed it. Fat fingered it on the phone.
agdaddy04
AG
Well it's hard to believe that's the one series that didn't go the distance. If you would've told me that in September I wouldn't believe you.
Nino Brown
All I know is Kendrick hit into a weakly hit double play in the 2nd inning and ZG would of gotten out of the inning. Giving Hinch the choice what to do with Cole at the top of the next inning.
First Page
Page 2127 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.