***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,325 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

I feel sorry for anyone that thinks we were resigning Cole... was never even a possibility

Again, it's literally not a thing that ownership is attempting. I actually know people in the know on this one.
As do I, Cole walks and Correa is either traded or not signed after 2021
Texas A&M
Obviously losing this one sucks, but knowing we've been twice in three years lessens the sting quite a bit.

We can second guess Hinch all we want. But if the offense ever would have lived up to their reputation, this would have easily been a win for the good guys.
Premium
AG
agproducer said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

agproducer said:

I'm disappointed. I'm sad, but strangely, I'm not crushed.

I said when the playoffs started that I was going to enjoy the ride, and I did. Tonight was not the outcome we all wanted. This season, even with the 107 wins and World Series, will be remembered as one of the best Astros teams ever. But, they didn't get the job done.

Sometimes baseball happens. The best team doesn't always win. How many times did the Nationals get key hits with 2 outs?

Astros left too many runners on base and squandered so many opportunities. Hinch over complicated and over managed tonight. The Astros failed in Game 7 as a team. Greinke pitched his ass off. That HR Kendrick hit was off a decent pitch by Harris. Tip your cap.

It's disappointing to come back to MMP needing 1 win for the title and losing 2 games. They also had the lead going into the 7th. I won't lie: this hurts. The Nats performed when it mattered most. The Astros did not.

But, imagine if this would have happened in 2017? I would have been devastated. This year, I'm not.

It's been a great year overall that ended in failure. Only one team can go into the of season winning the final game. This year, it wasn't us. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this team seemed to lack the magic.

I still love this team. They are my team. They are this thread's team. We have a WS title, went to the ALCS, then won the AL pennant over a three year span. I will take that anytime. I think the 17 title makes this more bearable.

I don't know any one of you on here personally, but I've enjoyed your takes all season long. It's going to suck to wake up tomorrow to no baseball. I'm ready for Spring Training already.

Go Astros!

I like everything you said except the first sentence. Not being crushed right now is insane.

This is the best astros team we will ever see, and they just lost a World Series..

I said, "Strangely, I'm not crushed." It is a weird feeling.

Bargaining

ETA: Shock would be denial
The Ragonk Strikes Back
AggiEE
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

I feel sorry for anyone that thinks we were resigning Cole... was never even a possibility

Again, it's literally not a thing that ownership is attempting. I actually know people in the know on this one.

As much as I can't stand Correas approach at the plate, it's going to be hard to find anything close to him as a replacement for that cheap

The haul would need to be massive

I think he stays until he's a FA
Topher17
AG
AggiEE said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

As much as I can't stand Correas approach at the plate, it's going to be hard to find anything close to him as a replacement for that cheap

You've got to get something for him though right? Can't just let him walk for nothing when the time comes.
AggiEE
Topher17 said:

AggiEE said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

You've got to get something for him though right? Can't just let him walk for nothing when the time comes.

Depends on how the 2021 season goes
mazag08
AG
This game sucked. The series mostly sucked. But we are fine moving forward. We won before without Cole.

1. Find a way to trade Reddick for something of value.
2. Sign a starting pitcher in the mold that you are known to sign.
3. Re-sign Harris on a short term deal. Let Rondon, Smith, Peacock, McHugh go and replace them with FA's or internal guys.
4. Sign a FA catcher, and either resign Maldonado as backup or roll with Stubbs. You can always attach this at the trade deadline if you dont like what youve got.
5. Lock Springer up before he hits FA.
6. If you can get a FA outfielder (even a platoon guy), without sacrificing Springer money, do it.
7. Cross train Yordan and Tucker as OF and 1B so they can be more versatile.

Here's what we've got.

P: Verlander
P: Grienke
P: McCullers
P: FA
P: Sanchez / Urquedy / Whitley

RP: Harris
RP: Osuna
RP: Pressly
RP: James
RP: Sanchez / Urquedy
RP: Devenski / Valdez / Biagini / Perez / Deetz

1B: Gurriel / Alvarez / Tucker
2B: Altuve
SS: Correa
3B: Bregman
Utility: Diaz
LF: Brantley
CF: Springer / Marisnick / Straw
RF: Tucker / Springer
C: FA / Maldonado or Stubbs

Literally the same team, minus Cole, Reddick, and Chirinos, plus McCullers and possible some upgrades.

We will win 95+ next year no doubt.
maca1028
This dude is gone.
jopatura
AG
Sanchez is not going to be an Astro next year. His contract is an option. With the surgery they'd be dumb to pay it.
n_touch
Can we vote on next years tagline?

1. #try again

2. #one more win
Texas A&M
mazag08 said:

3. Re-sign Harris on a short term deal. Let Rondon, Smith, Peacock, McHugh go and replace them with FA's or internal guys.

I agree with almost all of what you said, but I would keep Smith.
Texas A&M
maca1028 said:

This dude is gone.

Yeah, that hat is pretty tacky.
ccaggie05
AG
Texas A&M said:

maca1028 said:

This dude is gone.

Yeah it definitely isn't a great way to end his time here. Maybe he is just angry that he never went in, or maybe as some of the rumors on this thread seem to allude to, he knows the Astros have no intention of signing him.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'd love to hear two peoples thoughts right now on how they feel about hinch and his decision making:

1) Greinke

2) Cole

Bet they're not happy, and rightfully so.

Hinch ****ed up. Period.
Texas A&M
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I'd love to hear two peoples thoughts right now on how they feel about hinch and his decision making:

1) Greinke

2) Cole

Hinch ****ed up. Period.
Maybe, but the bats effing up is the biggest cause of this series loss.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
The Ragonk Strikes Back said:

People act like Mac is some hero. Yes he bet a lot of money, but it was a pure hedge. He would have been an absolute dumbass not to.

Business is business. Helps though if it makes you a town hero I guess.
AggiEE
Texas A&M said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

1) Greinke

2) Cole

Hinch ****ed up. Period.
Maybe, but the bats effing up is the biggest cause of this series loss.

They probably understand given the circumstances

I mean, it's game 7, clearly you go to the rookie Urquidy so that Greinke and Cole have enough adequate rest for the next game

I mean...duh

Hinch has been managing TO MAKE IT to the World Series for so long that he forgot how to manage DURING a World Series, let alone ****ING GAME 7 OF A WORLD SERIES
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Honestly, Cole can EAD for acting the way he did and wearing a Boras hat during a postgame World Series interview.

We had some good times Cole but good riddance. Have fun at your next stop never making a World Series appearance. Please take hinch with you.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rovell is still a giant sack of **** though.
Texas A&M
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Honestly, Cole can EAD for acting the way he did and wearing a Boras hat during a postgame World Series interview.

We had some good times Cole but good riddance. Have fun at your next stop never making a World Series appearance. Please take hinch with you.
I almost starred you post..... but then I read the last sentence. Maybe it is the alcohol talking in you.....
Liquid Wrench
ccaggie05 said:

Texas A&M said:

maca1028 said:

This dude is gone.

Yeah it definitely isn't a great way to end his time here. Maybe he is just angry that he never went in, or maybe as some of the rumors on this thread seem to allude to, he knows the Astros have no intention of signing him.
He said the right things. What else do you expect? Dude played hard and has to get paid while he can.
iBrad
AG
So Cole or Verlander for Cy Young?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Texas A&M said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I almost starred you post..... but then I read the last sentence. Maybe it is the alcohol talking in you.....

I stand by it. My mom could have managed this team to a World Series... we are by far the best team in baseball, maybe one of the most talented teams of all time. When it came to crunch time hinch ****ed up, and we lost because of it.
AggiEE
iBrad said:

So Cole or Verlander for Cy Young?

Cy = Cole

MVP = Trout
ccaggie05
AG
Body By Fisher said:

ccaggie05 said:

Texas A&M said:

maca1028 said:

This dude is gone.

He said the right things. What else do you expect? Dude played hard and has to get paid while he can.

I could do without the hat. I feel that was unnecessary. .
jopatura
AG
One last thing for the night then I'm done: if Cole was really only going to close, why did Hinch send him down to the bullpen in the 5th and have him start to warmup? I feel like the communication between Cole and Hinch was either badly off or more likely, Hinch changed the plans at the last second. Hinch should have just owned up to his **** in the press conference. I'd have a lot more respect for the loss if he said, "I panicked after the home run, didn't trust my game plan and tried to implement what's worked for us in the past. I'm sorry."
Nino Brown
Something wasn't right. Just saw replay of Cole in the pen and on the phone right after the Rendon homer and he looked pissed off or confused.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

My mom could have managed this team to a World Series
Um....she was kind of busy.
mazag08
AG
Probably my last post on this thread.

Seriously, thank yall for for voting on me to start it again. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I blame myself as I was actually living and working in Ohio in 2017. Then I came back and we all the sudden can't get over the hump.

It was a fun year. I hope this makes us, the team, the coaches, and the ownership all remember what it looks and feels like to be hungry for a championship. The Nats looked a lot like us from 2017, and we were the ones stressing and tightening up in big moments while they played loose. I hope we learn, get our mindset back on track, and come out next year ready to focus and get through the finish line.
DRE06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Texas A&M said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I stand by it. My mom could have managed this team to a World Series... we are by far the best team in baseball, maybe one of the most talented teams of all time. When it came to crunch time hinch ****ed up, and we lost because of it.

You are a ****ing idiot.

Hinch led this team through Boston, NY, & LaD in 2017.

Got us to game 7 in 2019.

At some point players have to show up and play.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
DRE06 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Texas A&M said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

You are a ****ing idiot.

Hinch led this team through Boston, NY, & LaD in 2017.

Got us to game 7 in 2019.

At some point players have to show up and play.

Check yourself bro. Top to bottom we are among the all time greats statistically. There is a lot hyperbole thrown around here but I truly believe that any halfway talented manager could have gotten us where we ended up today... World Series losers.

Many could have done better.
Agmaniacmike12
Nuke LaLoosh said:

agproducer said:

I'm disappointed. I'm sad, but strangely, I'm not crushed.

I said when the playoffs started that I was going to enjoy the ride, and I did. Tonight was not the outcome we all wanted. This season, even with the 107 wins and World Series, will be remembered as one of the best Astros teams ever. But, they didn't get the job done.

Sometimes baseball happens. The best team doesn't always win. How many times did the Nationals get key hits with 2 outs?

Astros left too many runners on base and squandered so many opportunities. Hinch over complicated and over managed tonight. The Astros failed in Game 7 as a team. Greinke pitched his ass off. That HR Kendrick hit was off a decent pitch by Harris. Tip your cap.

It's disappointing to come back to MMP needing 1 win for the title and losing 2 games. They also had the lead going into the 7th. I won't lie: this hurts. The Nats performed when it mattered most. The Astros did not.

But, imagine if this would have happened in 2017? I would have been devastated. This year, I'm not.

It's been a great year overall that ended in failure. Only one team can go into the of season winning the final game. This year, it wasn't us. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this team seemed to lack the magic.

I still love this team. They are my team. They are this thread's team. We have a WS title, went to the ALCS, then won the AL pennant over a three year span. I will take that anytime. I think the 17 title makes this more bearable.

I don't know any one of you on here personally, but I've enjoyed your takes all season long. It's going to suck to wake up tomorrow to no baseball. I'm ready for Spring Training already.

Go Astros!

I like everything you said except the first sentence. Not being crushed right now is insane.

This is the best astros team we will ever see, and they just lost a World Series..
I use to let this stuff affect my livelihood. It isn't healthy to be "crushed" by what happens in a game that means little in the grand scheme of life. I'll get ecstatic when the team wins, but I'm not 22 anymore, there are far too many good things in this world to dwell on this.

As was mentioned before, I think the 2017 World Series+ the fact that I like the Nationals for the most part took away some of the sting of this one.
Agmaniacmike12
the last of the bohemians said:

With Cole gone we have to improve offensively to stay elite. Brantley can be traded for a speedier version who only hits 15 hrs, Tucker gets his shot, and crap I dunno, most catchers can't hit. Guess we stuck with too many cleanup hitters and hoping Yordan becomes Ted Williams
We've got a bunch of great gap hitters that for some reason get in funks where they are HR or bust. Refuse to drive to gaps, hit it to the opposite field when being pitched away, etc. I think that was the most frustrating part of this whole series. We know this lineup is far more capable than what was displayed in the postseason.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My take here is Hinch is feast or famine hero or goat. I won't fault him for his in game management, but I will fault him for the long stretches of WTF we went through some many times the year. The manager is responsible for the culture and we have been lucky to have guys who genuinely like each other, however this may really challenge that locker room. Hinch could not correct the funk or keep us in a good head space. We lost the World Series with one of the best teams every assembled to a scrappy ass team who was mentally stronger than us, with a manager who's fire was reflected in their players. We were hang loose ball crushers in the good times and tight assed strike out artists in the bad. If we can upgrade our talent significantly by trading Hinch to the Mets we should, anyone can do Xs and Os it's the inspirational leaders that make a difference.

Thank God we got one in 2017, because our window of being the favorite is quickly closing with out some major offseason pitching moves. Although for me being the favorite has made the season less fun, the wins were many times just mundane and expected and the losses were disappointments. Only two outcomes existed for this season Championship or disappointment. It's hard to think that we will ultimately look back on 107 wins, a ROY, a Cy Young, 2nd place MVP, a division championship, a league championship, a walkoff against the ****ing Yanks and call it a failure but that was the lens for this team.
First Page Last Page
Page 2119 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.