***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,193 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the Greinke game

He goes 7 shutout innings

Simple as that
Farmer1906
AG
Ag12thman said:

Something like we did with the pitchers in Game 7 of 2017, but maybe insert Cole in place of Morton?
In 17 we went...
McCullers (2.1)
Peacock (2.0)
Liriano (0.1)
Devo (0.1)
Morton (4.0)

I could see something like
Greinke (3.1)
Peacock (1.2)
Urquidy (2.0)
Harris (1.0)
Cole (2.0)
The Osuna is who you fire if Cole faulters.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

It's Cole's game at that point
We have a 3 run lead. He walks the bases loaded and then walks a run in. No way he's left in.

I can't see Hinch employing this.

I think we et Greinke thru 4 and get him out after the first runner reaches with less than 2 outs. Then you play matchups with everyone available. At some point, you go Cole and ride him, sure, but you have a few more bullets after. Especially if you need him before the 7th or 8th.
Haha yea. I'm not saying you can't draw up a wild/far feteched scenario in which we put Cole in and then take him out almost immediately.

The overarching point is that you do whatever it takes to get Cole the ball in the 7th with the lead. If that means using Osuna and Harris as bridge guys, fine. That's a scenario that I think AJ would take 100 times out of 100.

And we'd still have Urquidy, Pressly and JV (for an inning) if your wild/far fetched scenario where Cole can't throw strikes plays out.
Ag_07
AG
I think you ride Greinke as long a he's effective.

If he's at 75 pitches through 4 IP and we have a lead send him on out for the 5th. Have someone ready if things get shaky but let him go if he's cruising.

Zach showed in last start that he does have some balls and I think he's up to this challenge.
PETE2019
AG
I have a ticket in my cart for 431 row 8 seat 4 right now but can't go to game. Will buy if someone wants it and transfer to them for what I pay for it. About $295 after fees but need to know within 5 minutes
HossAg
AG
I wouldn't go Cole for more than 1 inning.
jetch17
AG
Beat40
I'm not so much worried about the arms as I am worried about the bats.

The question is, are we going to be the first home team in this series to hit with RISP? Are we going to score more than just 2 in the first?
Deluxe
AG
HossAg said:

I wouldn't go Cole for more than 1 inning.
Why not? Bumgarner pitched 5 innings on 2 days rest to close out the 2014 World Series. Kershaw pitched 4 innings on 2 days rest in game 7 back in 2017. Cole is as good as those guys.
Ag_07
AG
Beat40 said:

I'm not so much worried about the arms as I am worried about the bats.

The question is, are we going to be the first home team in this series to hit with RISP? Are we going to score more than just 2 in the first?

So much this
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
To all the very cool people I've talked baseball with on here since July or so, especially the ones who remember the 86 NLCS and have a love for baseball history, just wanted to say enjoy the game tonight, win or lose, it's still Game 7 of the World Series for our beloved franchise.

Decided to sit out this thread for the game tonight, I never thought I'd see a bigger group of angry band waggoner idiots than the zoo, but the ones here take the cake and make the thread pretty sh**y to read through .Hope to come back on and celebrate the win after .

astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think you ride Greinke as long a he's effective.

If he's at 75 pitches through 4 IP and we have a lead send him on out for the 5th. Have someone ready if things get shaky but let him go if he's cruising.

Zach showed in last start that he does have some balls and I think he's up to this challenge.

If he's at 75 through 4, he had to have been laboring a little bit

15 pitch innings would indicate some mildly efficient innings. I think Washington comes out aggressive, Hope Greinke has that control on because it could make for some quick outs
annie88
AG
Decided to sit out this thread for the game tonight, I never thought I'd see a bigger group of angry band waggoner idiots than the zoo, but the ones here take the cake and make the thread pretty sh**y to read through .Hope to come back on and celebrate the win after.

This.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

Game 7 Home Plate Ump Jim Wolf

Wolf, brother of former Phillies pitcher Randy Wolf, gets the honor of the ultimate game if it's necessary. He's in the Eddings mold when it comes to calling strikes, annually ranking among the umpires at the top of our Extra Strikes Per 150 Called Pitches list. Three umpires averaged 9.7 K per 9 this season CB Bucknor, Tim Timmons and Wolf. If this is a Zack Greinke-Patrick Corbin matchup, it would make sense that he's more likely to affect the Astros' Greinke, as Corbin is more reliant on missed swings than Greinke is.

Most important tendencies:
Wolf's tendencies are not blatantly different than those of other umpires. He calls strikes a little more often than his peers in a lot of different places. He's also the most likely home plate umpire to call a checked swing a strike, doing so on 29 percent of checked swings the past three seasons.
Frok
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

To all the very cool people I've talked baseball with on here since July or so, especially the ones who remember the 86 NLCS and have a love for baseball history, just wanted to say enjoy the game tonight, win or lose, it's still Game 7 of the World Series for our beloved franchise.

Decided to sit out this thread for the game tonight, I never thought I'd see a bigger group of angry band waggoner idiots than the zoo, but the ones here take the cake and make the thread pretty sh**y to read through .Hope to come back on and celebrate the win after .

I don't know whether to feel warm and fuzzy or insulted from your post.
Classof1998
AG
Every publication across the Country is picking the Nats in 7....I love it because this should fire the Stros up!!!!!!!! WAKE UP BATS!!!!!!! THIS IS OUR DAY TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right On
Ag12thman
AG
astros4545 said:

This is the Greinke game

He goes 7 shutout innings

Simple as that
One can dream. Would be awesome.
Big Al 1992
AG
Just got a single in 253 - right where Alvarez is gonna send one tonight!!!
Wabs
AG
About to get in a fist fight with a coworker that keeps calling the Turner play a "blown call". It wasn't a ****ing blown call. It was the correct call based on how the rule is written.
Ag12thman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag12thman said:

Something like we did with the pitchers in Game 7 of 2017, but maybe insert Cole in place of Morton?
In 17 we went...
McCullers (2.1)
Peacock (2.0)
Liriano (0.1)
Devo (0.1)
Morton (4.0)

Greinke (3.1)
Peacock (1.2)
Urquidy (2.0)
Harris (1.0)
Cole (2.0)
I like it. No Joe Smith, though?
Cromagnum
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Are you new to Texags? It's like this in every single sports thread for every Texas based team.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag12thman said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag12thman said:

In 17 we went...
McCullers (2.1)
Peacock (2.0)
Liriano (0.1)
Devo (0.1)
Morton (4.0)

Greinke (3.1)
Peacock (1.2)
Urquidy (2.0)
Harris (1.0)
Cole (2.0)
I like it. No Joe Smith, though?
You can stretch it out between Greinke and Cole, however. Smith, Pressly, use em all, but 1 or 2 you can half way trust after.
Texaggie7nine
I found the secret to buying tickets.

Use mobile device and go to the website not the mobile app.

When you get on to the page with the best option buy button, just start tapping it really fast. It will close and try again rapidly. If it stops reacting. close the invalid information window then start tapping best seats again really quick.

I have gotten 3 tickets in 5 mins.
7nine
Wabs
AG
All this talk about pitching (which I agree is important). But it won't mean **** if our bats don't show up and we don't stop these ****ty ABs.
AgsMnn
AG
Not feeling great about this game.
Our bats can't stay warm even. They hit great and take advantage of RISP.

1872walker
Clearly the best chance we have of winning this thing is for Kate to throw out the first pitch while wearing a bikini.

Make it happen.
AgsMyDude
AG
Wabs said:

All this talk about pitching (which I agree is important). But it won't mean **** if our bats don't show up and we don't stop these ****ty ABs.
Yep. We aren't winning tonight with 2 runs (all in the 1st)
Mr.Bond
AG
Let's ****ing gooooooooo.

Angry faces!!!!!
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Teddy Perkins
AG
Our bats ran into the buzzsaw that is Strasburg. Dude was straight filthy last night. Sometimes you just run into an ace. Hopefully we get Scherzer's pitch count up and get him out of the game tonight.
rgt99
We were hitting Scherzer in game one, hell we left 11 men on base. Just need to have timely hits, work the pitch count and we will be fine. Overall, I think we have played better than the Nats. If they are playing mind games they know that we are the better team talent wise, we just need to be patient and execute and we will be fine.
Frok
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Our bats ran into the buzzsaw that is Strasburg. Dude was straight filthy last night. Sometimes you just run into an ace. Hopefully we get Scherzer's pitch count up and get him out of the game tonight.
Strasburg has been incredible. Some of those crappy at-bats were just great pitches fooling our hitters.

BullSprig07
AG
He was outstanding after the first last night. I was *****ing about his pitch count being so low the entire game and my whole family was annoyed but us not being able to get him out of there and get to the pen was probably one of if not the biggest factors in the game.
8T2
AgsMnn said:

Not feeling great about this game.
Our bats can't stay warm even. They hit great and take advantage of RISP.

Well, one time in the last 4 games at least.
Shenaniganz
1872walker said:

Clearly the best chance we have of winning this thing is for Kate to throw out the first pitch while wearing a bikini.

Make it happen.
nothing

FIFY
Deluxe
AG
Frok said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Strasburg has been incredible. Some of those crappy at-bats were just great pitches fooling our hitters.

This. When he has all four pitches working like that, it's basically just guess mode up there for our hitters. I liked our strategy to attack him early before he integrated his change up second time through the order. But when his change up is effective like that, it's basically lights out.
First Page Last Page
Page 2045 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.