***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,473 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Betoisafurry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jackal99 said:

Charlie Kelley said:

Just got a single in 430 for face value off of the astros website, first WS game for me.
I'm on the site now, and it's showing about 10 scattered singles. But when I go to add one to my cart, it says "invalid information" and "seats matching your request are not available." It does that for every single listing. Frustrating.

Yep that's how it was for me. Took about an hour but finally let me add to cart. Make sure you have an account set up and are logged in. I wasn't logged in the first time and by the time I did, it timed me out. Luckily I got it again. Good luck
David_Puddy
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

today is my 30th birthday.

I am a huge fan as most of you are. I love sports and cheer for all the houston teams but nothing anywhere close to the Astros.

Aggie Football and Astros are the only teams I will cry over for a championship(already did once).

The day I turned 18(when we were a 3rd place NL central team) I went and got an Astros star tattoo. My dad told me I'd regret it when we changed logos and we did soon after but now its just kind of retro..lol. Didnt get A&M bc I wasnt accepted yet.

Love this team more than anything. Hoping they make my 30th special tonight!

Someone buy this man a ticket!
Betoisafurry
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Charlie Kelley said:

Just got a single in 430 for face value off of the astros website, first WS game for me.
Me too! Row 13

I'm row 14
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Rendon homer magically goes further than any other ball hit at same exit velo and launch angle.
That is fishy as ****. We've seen the ball travel a much shorter distance with similar exit velos and launch angles all postseason so this stands out bigly.

Especially since that Springer double in game 1 goes out the big majority of the time in the regular season
Texaggie7nine
I guess it's good yall are getting them. I've been trying for 2 days straight trying to get one, just to resell.
7nine
redline248
AG
F_ck Martinez

Quote:

That same manager also protesting a game over a call that he admitted later he knew he wasn't allowed to protest.

From Jayson Stark on the athletic
astros4545
AG
Yep
Single tickets in 430 for $275 on astros website before fees
Beat40
redline248 said:

F_ck Martinez

Quote:

That same manager also protesting a game over a call that he admitted later he knew he wasn't allowed to protest.

From Jayson Stark on the athletic

The real travesty of the whole situation was how long the discussion with New York took. That was a crap move.

I think they were trying to let everyone calm down, but it ended up cooling Harris off. It was effectively a half of an inning for Harris after getting warmed up and ready to go.
redline248
AG
Here is the whole maddening article, if anyone is interested in getting pissed

https://theathletic.com/1336251/2019/10/30/stark-inside-the-play-that-almost-swallowed-a-world-series-game-alive-on-a-night-of-beautiful-chaos/
Beat40
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Rendon homer magically goes further than any other ball hit at same exit velo and launch angle.
That is fishy as ****. We've seen the ball travel a much shorter distance with similar exit velos and launch angles all postseason so this stands out bigly.

Especially since that Springer double in game 1 goes out the big majority of the time in the regular season

At the end of the day, I just don't understand why MLB would switch balls for the postseason. Well, I do understand, I just think it's garbage.
TexasRebel
AG
redline248 said:

https://theathletic.com/1336251/2019/10/30/stark-inside-the-play-that-almost-swallowed-a-world-series-game-alive-on-a-night-of-beautiful-chaos/

Yep. The preview is just enough to get pissed.
tjack16
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Jackal99 said:

Charlie Kelley said:

I'm on the site now, and it's showing about 10 scattered singles. But when I go to add one to my cart, it says "invalid information" and "seats matching your request are not available." It does that for every single listing. Frustrating.
Just keep clicking the Best Seat Available option and make sure to reduce your quantity down from 2 to 1. It took about 100 random times clicking the add seat option before it dropped into my cart.

It did that for 25 mins with me until finally it worked
Beat40
redline248 said:

Don't think we can read it without a subscription. Would you mind a bullet point summary?
Daddy-O5
AG
Any randos want to come babysit my kids so the wife and I can head to the game tonight?

Just kidding....

...Kind of.....

Seems less risky than scooping up one of those singles and leaving my wife at home.
TexasRebel
AG
Can we play game 7 Base Wars style?
aggie813
Ok so here's how tonight is gonna go...
ZG will pitch innings 1-4 and give up 2 runs.
Urquidy will pitch innings 5-7.
Pressly will pitch inning 8
Osuna will pitch inning 9.
Astros win 4-2. Urquidy gets the win and WS MVP
Farmer1906
AG
JV on pitching game 7

"It's all hands on deck. If A.J. asks, I'll find a way."
Frok
AG
aggie813 said:

Ok so here's how tonight is gonna go...
ZG will pitch innings 1-4 and give up 2 runs.
Urquidy will pitch innings 5-7.
Pressly will pitch inning 8
Osuna will pitch inning 9.
Astros win 4-2. Urquidy gets the win and WS MVP

Cole is going to pitch tonight
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

JV on pitching game 7

"It's all hands on deck. If A.J. asks, I'll find a way."
Verlander pitched G6 in 2017 and was warming up in the bullpen to pitch an inning G7. Would have happened too if Morton wasn't on fire.
Deluxe
AG
Frok said:

Cole is going to pitch tonight
redline248
AG
A manager (Washington's Dave Martinez) getting ejected after his team had just hit a home run to grab its biggest lead in almost a week.

And the umpires delaying this game, thanks to that protest, for four and a half minutes, so they could jam on their replay headsets, apparently for the review of a non-reviewable call, while managers and players on both teams were trying to figure out what the heck was going on, which it turned out wasn't a review of that call after all.

He said that the home-plate ump, Sam Holbrook, made "the right call." No surprise there.

Torre also read (aloud) Rule 5.09(a)(11), which specifies that a hitter running to first base isn't allowed to run "to the left of the foul line" for the final 45 feet of that journey. But even though he read the whole text, Torre then said that wasn't what Holbrook actually called. Torre said Turner "did run to the fair side of the (runner's lane), but really the violation was when (Turner) kept Gurriel from being able to catch the ball at first base." Still confused? Hang on. There's more.

Torre said the fact that "Gurriel's glove even came off" when he and Turner made contact near the bag was a major factor in the call because Gurriel "wasn't doing anything but trying to catch the ball."

And when asked where Turner was supposed to go, considering there was a base out there he had to touch, Torre said: "If you notice, he was running inside the line toward fair territory, toward the grass. And he was coming from that angle. If he had been running in the (runner's lane), he'd have been coming from a different angle, and the first baseman may have had an easier chance catching the ball."

All right then. That cleared that up. Except no, it didn't. This was a play that almost swallowed this game alive for a few minutes, between the call itself, the anger it provoked from Martinez and his players, the protest that wasn't really a protest and the review that wasn't really a review. So even an hour later, Astros manager A.J. Hinch was asked about it and said: "I don't really understand it yet."

All he knew, Hinch deadpanned, is that "it took a really long time for nothing to happen."

The protest
Just when you thought this mess couldn't get any more confusing, there was a four-and-a-half-minute let's-go-to-the-headsets delay following the original call. That, it turned out, was because Martinez informed the umpires that the Nationals wanted to protest the game.

But later, Martinez confessed he knew before he protested that this wasn't even a protestable call.

"OK, so I know the rules," he said. "I know you can't protest a judgment call. I wanted him to just look at the play, and (give) like a rule check. We were told before the series started that we can ask for a rule check. But part of me just said, 'Hey, we'll protest the game. Just check the rules.' And they did that."

When asked what, specifically, he was protesting, Martinez had another confession.

"Honestly, nothing," he said, "because I knew that you couldn't. I mean, I wanted them to go look at the replay. Go look and just give me a rules check, that's all. They came back and honestly, that was it. I dropped it. Done. They went and checked. They spent a few minutes. I've done it before, knowing that you can't do anything about it. And then things escalated."

What mostly escalated, of course, was all the time it took to accomplish pretty much zilch. The call couldn't be challenged. The protest couldn't be upheld. But it still killed an absurd amount of time because you had umpires on their headsets, checking in with the replay umps in New York. And then those replay umps called Torre, who was in the ballpark, sitting right behind the dugout. And then Torre "tried to make some calls" from his box, he said, but "we couldn't do it" for reasons nobody was really clear on.

So eventually, Torre denied the protest himself and the game resumed. But even Torre admitted, "It should never be that long."

From the beginning, A.J. Hinch had a hard time comprehending all of this. In his clubhouse, people privately admitted the interference call probably never should have been made in the first place because it was the equivalent of giving Trea Turner a speeding ticket for driving 56 miles an hour in a 55-mph zone.

But once that call got made, it was everything that followed which really tried Hinch's patience. While the call was being sorted out, Hinch headed for the mound and brought in a new pitcher, Will Harris. Then Harris had to stand around and wait forever, while the Nationals argued, umpires huddled around their headsets and, to repeat Hinch's perfect quote, "it took a really long time for nothing to happen."

"I knew the rule, what he called an interference," Hinch said. "I knew they were very upset about it. It's not a reviewable call. You can't protest it. You can't really do anything. And yet they go to the headset."

As irritated as he was by that, Hinch still waited a full inning before he wandered out, in the eighth inning, to ask Holbrook what on earth was going on. So Holbrook and Cederstrom then walked over to confer with Torre, who hadn't spoken to them directly throughout this whole ordeal.

"I didn't know what they were doing," Hinch said. "And then the explanation for me was, they couldn't get ahold of people. They were like 10 feet away from me. If they would have just told me, I'd have walked over and told them."
------------------------

There is also some other crap about Martinez checking himself into a hospital for some heart thing, and the hoopla about Scherzer. If they win, get ready for an avalanche of everything they've had to endure to beat the big, bad Astros
Farmer1906
AG
I want to give everyone something to think about for game 7.

TED has a .500 on base % in the world series.
Mathguy64
AG
One way or the other it's Greinke followed by Urkeeding. Unless Greinke gets in a mess mid inning and they need someone for 1-2 outs so they Urkeeding can start a fresh inning clean. But he still goes next.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not nearly locked into Urquidy like everyone else. He had an absolutely fantastic start, but he's still a rookie with limited experience. The Nats have seen him now. It might not have similar results as last time.
Deluxe
AG
I don't think Urquidy pitches tonight unless Greinke gets in big trouble early.

1-4: Greinke
5-6: Smith/Harris/Osuna
7-9: Cole

The goal tonight should be to get Cole on the mound in the 7th with a lead and then ride him home.
Mathguy64
AG
They have seen everyone multiple times except for Hector, Devo and Osuna. Same way be have seen them multiple times. In the end it's matchups. I actually like Urkeeding because his breaking ball keeps them from hunting fastball. And that seems to be their MO.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

The goal tonight should be to get Cole on the mound in the 7th with a lead and then ride him home.
And if Cole struggles? Who gets the 8th and 9th after you've blown thru Harris & Osuna?
Deluxe
AG
It's Cole's game at that point
astros4545
AG
Deluxe said:

You have to save one of your top bullpen guys to relieve COLE if necessary
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

And if Cole struggles? Who gets the 8th and 9th after you've blown thru Harris & Osuna?
Yeah, if you are going to use Cole, I would use him first and let him go as long as he is affeective ala Charlie Morton. I would use Urquidy to bridge the gap between Greinke and Cole depending on Greinke's outing.
Ag12thman
AG
Something like we did with the pitchers in Game 7 of 2017, but maybe insert Cole in place of Morton?
Ag_07
AG
Tonight is gonna be wild. We're gonna see some dramatics, some crazy match ups, and some clutch performances.

Hopefully the Good Guys come out on the winning end but regardless it's gonna be one roller coaster kinda game with crazy emotions.

Beautiful chaos is a perfect description
Ag12thman
AG
Sure wish we had McCullers and McHugh this post season. IMO, would have made a lot of difference.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

It's Cole's game at that point
We have a 3 run lead. He walks the bases loaded and then walks a run in. No way he's left in.

I can't see Hinch employing this.

I think we et Greinke thru 4 and get him out after the first runner reaches with less than 2 outs. Then you play matchups with everyone available. At some point, you go Cole and ride him, sure, but you have a few more bullets after. Especially if you need him before the 7th or 8th.
Beat40
Ag12thman said:

Sure wish we had McCullers and McHugh this post season. IMO, would have made a lot of difference.

Not sure about McHugh, but LMJs curve would have played in this WS.
First Page Last Page
Page 2044 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.