***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,750,200 Views | 74451 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by PSully97
Hi, Im Brett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Granato is saying a source inside the Astros' dugout is saying JV thought he was tipping his pitches because the Nats were whistling. So every time he heard them whistle he threw a ball. Sounds really effing dumb to me.

Let's all get over being little beeches last night and go win the MF World Series today.

What was he supposed to do, throw a grapefruit?
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Greinke has a chance to cement himself into the HOF with a high level outing tonight that results in a W, IMO.

He may still get in but there will be zero doubt if he balls out tonight.
New World Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got SRO tickets for tonight. Any advice? Any chance to upgrade on the MLB app?
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My favorite thing of that fiasco was Trea Turner wanting the umpires to stroll over to Joe Torre and ask him to make a call on the play from his seats behind home plate.

Up until last night I had respected the Nats. I don't like Soto but besides him they seemed like a good bunch of dudes playing good baseball. Now they look like a bunch whiny bltches
rausr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Harold confirms that Kate was right.
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For SRO go in about 4:30. Head straight to the Budweiser bar in CF. Post up on the rail, this is what we did last night. You will have a good shot of A fraud and the boys during the pregame as
1872walker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's great and all from a pitching perspective but it doesn't address our lack of offensive output, especially with RISP.

They're going to hit our pitchers. Our offense has to capitalize on opportunities if we want to have any shot of winning this. We simply have to occupy a lot of bases today and get more in than we leave stranded.

3 runs ain't gonna win this one.
wmitchell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For SRO I got there about 4:30 yesterday. Wandered around a little bit to take in some BP and take pictures.

I settled in on the first base line behind the mobile bar, right behind the ADA seats in sect 112 or so. Amazing view - and great spot because the bar was behind us and nobody could stand behind us. Make friends with the people around you so they hold your spot when you leave for food/beer/bathroom.

It was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat over lots of seats in MMP. I also would sit in the ada area while those people aren't there - the ushers didn't care and that way you aren't standing for 7 hours straight.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just hope we are saying Jose effing Urquidy after tonight.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

suburban cowboy said:

Granato is saying a source inside the Astros' dugout is saying JV thought he was tipping his pitches because the Nats were whistling. So every time he heard them whistle he threw a ball. Sounds really effing dumb to me.

Let's all get over being little beeches last night and go win the MF World Series today.

What was he supposed to do, throw a grapefruit?
Step off. Change signs. Change glove position. Call a different pitch.

All that being said, I'm not buying this story at all.
AccidentProne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tonight I am an Astros fan.

Good luck!
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are we setting the bar as for Greinke today? He went 4-23 with 1 run last time, but a lot of traffic on the bases. I would call it a huge success if we can get it again. I have a feeling Hinch is going to have a quick trigger if we don't give him some run support. Ideally, 6 IP and 2 R should be the goal.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AccidentProne said:

Tonight I am an Astros fan.

Good luck!
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Gonna be a big game.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we want to get 3-4 innings out of Greinke, use some combo of Smith, Harris and Osuna to get us through the 6th, then Cole gets the last 3 innings.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think 4 IP

If we can get 4 good innings from Greinke (1-2 runs) I think we're happy. Then you have Urkeedy and Cole to get it to the Harris/Smith/Osuna.

Say ZG gets us 4, then maybe Harris is used for an out or two early, then you can get 2 from Urkeedy, then maybe 1 from Cole.
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

suburban cowboy said:

Granato is saying a source inside the Astros' dugout is saying JV thought he was tipping his pitches because the Nats were whistling. So every time he heard them whistle he threw a ball. Sounds really effing dumb to me.

Let's all get over being little beeches last night and go win the MF World Series today.
Verlander's problem is his arrogance or his over confidence. He tee'd up a 3-1 pitch to Soto trying to "challenge him". That was a stupid pitch to that kind of hitter. Walk him and move to the next guy, but you CAN'T give in to Soto on a 3-1 count. JV did, and he (and the Astros) paid for it.
It wasn't a bad pitch at all. He busted him up and in and Soto did damage.


You can't make that pitch to that batter with a 3-1 count, tie game. Move to the next batter.
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all hands on deck for both teams, I cant imagine pitch count is a concern. Guys like Correa have to be aggressive the first pitch or two if they see a hitable ball. Correa's approach last night was awful. watching hr pitches and swinging at crap. if they get a couple of early runs on scherzer, i see Martinez going to Corbin or Sanchez with no hesitation.

Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Stone said:

With all hands on deck for both teams, I cant imagine pitch count is a concern. Guys like Correa have to be aggressive the first pitch or two if they see a hitable ball. Correa's approach last night was awful. watching hr pitches and swinging at crap. if they get a couple of early runs on scherzer, i see Martinez going to Corbin or Sanchez with no hesitation.




The good news is Correa can go from terrible approach to clutch home run
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
also glad that correa squared up on that pitch in the 9th.
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

now the whole world wants to complain about it because it hurt the Nats

Except it didn't

They got a 2 run HR instead of 3 and they won by 5


It was exactly as meaningful as the BS strike call on a ball way outside for Brantley in the first. The next batter up homered, meaning we got 2 instead of 3 runs.

The biggest problem with the World Series is that it attracts the attention of millions of people who don't understand s**t about baseball.
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1872walker said:

That's great and all from a pitching perspective but it doesn't address our lack of offensive output, especially with RISP.

They're going to hit our pitchers. Our offense has to capitalize on opportunities if we want to have any shot of winning this. We simply have to occupy a lot of bases today and get more in than we leave stranded.

3 runs ain't gonna win this one.
To be fair Strasberg had a LOT to do with it last night...that and Correa's awful approach at the plate.

We were hitting really well in DC with RISP when facing pitchers not named Strasberg or Scherzer. Yes we face Mad Max tonight but unless he goes 7 or 8 strong innings we should improve in that area. If not, we get to experience what the Dodgers did in 2017.
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last night was disrespecting your opponent in the flesh. From Bregman's HR stroll with his bat to Verlander's 3-1 pitch to Soto those meatheads got a taste of humble pie last night

Thankfully Robot Grienke has no use for emotions and won't fall victim to that crap. Hopefully Springer can carry us once again
Just an Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ZG & Urq for 7! Then the Harris Brothers, then Osuna. Celebrate.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be pretty pissed (and unsurprised) if this was a rope a dope and Max can throw out 100 pitches. Not saying they faked his injury to play tricks in gamea 5-6 but this is a pretty fast recovery to become a savior in game 7.
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Last night was disrespecting your opponent in the flesh. From Bregman's HR stroll with his bat to Verlander's 3-1 pitch to Soto those meatheads got a taste of humble pie last night

good god.

you for sure started watching in October.

Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So many single tickets showing up available, and yet still no luck at getting any.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JV tipping pitches? Who knows. It was clear they were hunting fastballs last night and it was clear he had no command of his breaking stuff. He didn't have to tip it. Just ignore spin completely. The did the same in Game 2 and 1 with cole. They tried in game 5 but couldn't because Cole had his breaking ball under control.

Greinke and Urkeeding have been the most effective pitchers so far because they had control of their breaking balls.

In the end it still comes down to the bats. Hit and win. Don't hit and lose.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm surprised tickets dont cost more tonight. Its do or die.
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Altuve's three-pitch strikeout was a back breaker. Your team leader cannot have a high leverage at bat like that. It was as reckless as it was boneheaded. Hopefully he collects himself tonight before walking to the plate in a similar situation.

BCSGrubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

I'm surprised tickets dont cost more tonight. Its do or die.
Everyone spent their money already
David_Puddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man last night there was a lot of nervous energy in there.....just didn't feel right. Here is to hoping that with the cheaper ticket prices, we get more true fans in the stadium.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

suburban cowboy said:

Granato is saying a source inside the Astros' dugout is saying JV thought he was tipping his pitches because the Nats were whistling. So every time he heard them whistle he threw a ball. Sounds really effing dumb to me.

Let's all get over being little beeches last night and go win the MF World Series today.
Verlander's problem is his arrogance or his over confidence. He tee'd up a 3-1 pitch to Soto trying to "challenge him". That was a stupid pitch to that kind of hitter. Walk him and move to the next guy, but you CAN'T give in to Soto on a 3-1 count. JV did, and he (and the Astros) paid for it.
It wasn't a bad pitch at all. He busted him up and in and Soto did damage.


You can't make that pitch to that batter with a 3-1 count, tie game. Move to the next batter.
You can throw a fast up and in that barely touches the black? Of course, you can. You're mad about the result, not the process.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

I think we want to get 3-4 innings out of Greinke, use some combo of Smith, Harris and Osuna to get us through the 6th, then Cole gets the last 3 innings.
I doubt we see Cole for 3 innings. I'm not sure he'll be effective on only 3 days rest.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Rendon homer magically goes further than any other ball hit at same exit velo and launch angle.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat