***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,485 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

they released 3 singles in the upper two decks about 20 mins ago.... after trying to get them for about 15 mins they were gone
I don't understand where all the singles that pop up throughout the day come from. Do they just hold on to them for that purpose of just randomly releasing one or two at a time for some lucky fans to pick up?

They have some held back to fulfill the "buy 2020 season tickets and you're able to purchase WS tickets" guarantee. Also, I'd assume they have a set number held back for sponsor and MLB obligations. I assume those are slowly being released.
Big Al 1992
AG
jr15aggie said:

bearkatag15 said:

On this day in 2017...

Not a knock against any world series between then and in the future... but it's doubtful we ever see anything more awesome than the 2017 series. Not only was it our first, but damn that series had some epic moments. That game alone was the most unbelievable game I've ever seen!

Best sporting event I've ever attended. And agree with the series Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers >> Rays, Yankees, Nats.
CoachRTM
AG
jr15aggie said:

bearkatag15 said:

On this day in 2017...

Not a knock against any world series between then and in the future... but it's doubtful we ever see anything more awesome than the 2017 series. Not only was it our first, but damn that series had some epic moments. That game alone was the most unbelievable game I've ever seen!

Agreed. Games 2 and 5 of the 2017 WS, given the ridiculousness and that they were part of the first Astros World Series will proabably be the 2 best baseball games I'll seen in my life. So many huge moments - it's like the Altuve homerun against the Yankees happening 3-4 times per game.

Here's to tonight's game 6 getting in the top 3
Texaggie7nine
spadilly said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

they released 3 singles in the upper two decks about 20 mins ago.... after trying to get them for about 15 mins they were gone
I don't understand where all the singles that pop up throughout the day come from. Do they just hold on to them for that purpose of just randomly releasing one or two at a time for some lucky fans to pick up?

They have some held back to fulfill the "buy 2020 season tickets and you're able to purchase WS tickets" guarantee. Also, I'd assume they have a set number held back for sponsor and MLB obligations. I assume those are slowly being released.
Why would they hold singles though? Whos gonna buy season tickets just to get a single?
7nine
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Where yall watching the game? Didn't get the chance to watch the first one with my old man so making the trek back down to Sugar Land to watch it with the man that taught me to love the game. Nothing better! Have fun out there tonight guys! Let's get us another one!
Big Al 1992
AG
David_Puddy said:

Mr.Bond said:

Big Al 1992 said:

A friend of a friend is an MLB umpire. They get allotted tix for all postseason. Got the call this morning. I will be at game 6. Let's Go! TAKE IT BACK!!!

Very cool congratulations. Just curious what kind of tickets do they give the umpires?

I got players tix for game 1. I believe he will be in either section 122 or 124. The ump tickets are picked up at the same window (26). I'm not sure if your guy told you, but they don't release ump tickets until like an hour before game time, just so you're not waiting.

The umps get a form to fill out - this ump let's my friend know he doesn't need any - so friend says order 4 for me. We still pay but at something like 40% off face value. May have had choice for better seats/ more expensive but we are in 423. Who's your player connection??
Diggity
AG
This guy?

gif
gigemJTH12 said:

scenario...Verlander goes 8. Youre up 1. Who is getting the last 3 outs?

JV as he walks to the mound in the 9th

Teddy Perkins
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Lets hope there aren't any infield fly rules called this game. The homeplate ump is the same from the 2012 NL WC game where this happened:

Quote:

Game 6 Home Plate Ump Sam Holbrook

Holbrook has experience umpiring a big game late in a World Series. He had the plate for Game 7 of Cubs-Indians in 2016. Holbrook's strike zone history is that of a conservative strike caller, relatively speaking. However, his numbers this season indicate an ump who favored neither batter nor pitcher in the aggregate.

If Strasburg is pitching for the Nationals, he should be thrilled to see Holbrook. He has an 0.90 ERA in 40 regular-season innings with 43 strikeouts and seven walks with Holbrook behind the plate. Verlander's ERA with Holbrook is 2.33, including two starts this season in which he allowed one run in 14 innings, with 17 strikeouts.

Most important tendencies: A look at three years rather than one shows that Holbrook has been less of a strike caller than other umpires on high and low pitches, especially so at the bottom of the strike zone when a right-handed batter is up. That would seem to affect Strasburg more than Verlander, since Verlander tends to pitch more up in the strike zone. But as you see in the numbers above, Strasburg doesn't seem bothered with how Holbrook calls a game.
Beat40
jr15aggie said:

bearkatag15 said:

On this day in 2017...

That 2017 WS was unbelievable. There were so many huge moments for both teams. That WS will stick with me a long, long time.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

On this day in 2017...

I completely forget Dallas started that game.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

96ags said:

gigemJTH12 said:

scenario...Verlander goes 8. Youre up 1. Who is getting the last 3 outs?

Your closer.

This is the only right answer. You don't put in anyone but osuna in this situation.
But why?

Put whoever you think gives you the best chance to get those 3 outs without giving up a run. More than likely it is your closer, but it isn't always the case.

Because being the closer is as much of a mind game as anything else. Harris has been absolutely fantastic coming in in high leverage situations and getting us out of jams. It's a different mindset entirely knowing that you're coming in to close a close game in the World Series.

What year was it that Harris was having a great season and we put him at closer and he bombed?
Those were the Gregerson days.

Osuna was near the top in blown saves and have already blown one trying to close out the ALCS. I agree this is some kind of mental make up needed to close, but I don't think its any different than other high leverage situations.
JJxvi
AG
Whats wrong with that infield fly call? Shortstop should have easily been camped under that with ordinary effort=infield fly

A shortstop could also easily let a fly ball in that spot drop in that situation and potentially get force outs at third and second, which also puts that ball squarely within the intent of the rule in addition to being by the letter of the rule.
Beat40
The thing about that 2017 WS is it was such a heavyweight fight the whole time. It was such an emotional series that I seriously needed the off days between games to recover just as much as the players did.

I remember Game 1, Game 2, Game 5, and Game 7. I have no recollection of Game 3, 4, and 6.
bearkatag15
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Quote:

Game 6 Home Plate Ump Sam Holbrook

Holbrook has experience umpiring a big game late in a World Series. He had the plate for Game 7 of Cubs-Indians in 2016. Holbrook's strike zone history is that of a conservative strike caller, relatively speaking. However, his numbers this season indicate an ump who favored neither batter nor pitcher in the aggregate.

If Strasburg is pitching for the Nationals, he should be thrilled to see Holbrook. He has an 0.90 ERA in 40 regular-season innings with 43 strikeouts and seven walks with Holbrook behind the plate. Verlander's ERA with Holbrook is 2.33, including two starts this season in which he allowed one run in 14 innings, with 17 strikeouts.

Most important tendencies: A look at three years rather than one shows that Holbrook has been less of a strike caller than other umpires on high and low pitches, especially so at the bottom of the strike zone when a right-handed batter is up. That would seem to affect Strasburg more than Verlander, since Verlander tends to pitch more up in the strike zone. But as you see in the numbers above, Strasburg doesn't seem bothered with how Holbrook calls a game.

Wow, Strasburg loves this ump. That's a pretty healthy sample size.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
I live in walking distance to an Academy.... I'm really hoping I get to take advantage of that tonight
David_Puddy
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

David_Puddy said:

Mr.Bond said:

Big Al 1992 said:

A friend of a friend is an MLB umpire. They get allotted tix for all postseason. Got the call this morning. I will be at game 6. Let's Go! TAKE IT BACK!!!

Very cool congratulations. Just curious what kind of tickets do they give the umpires?

I got players tix for game 1. I believe he will be in either section 122 or 124. The ump tickets are picked up at the same window (26). I'm not sure if your guy told you, but they don't release ump tickets until like an hour before game time, just so you're not waiting.

The umps get a form to fill out - this ump let's my friend know he doesn't need any - so friend says order 4 for me. We still pay but at something like 40% off face value. May have had choice for better seats/ more expensive but we are in 423. Who's your player connection??

I don't have a player connection, but good friend of mine's cousin works for Scott Boras so all of the agents have access to player tickets.
Texaggie7nine
tjholley16 said:

I live in walking distance to an Academy.... I'm really hoping I get to take advantage of that tonight
We watched game 7 at Revelry in 2017. Celebrated there for about 30 or so mins then drove to academy on 59 near Kirby and the line was around the store.

Pretty sure people post up there for the game and just watch on their phones or something.
7nine
Ajollyag
Mr.Bond said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The time traveler has spoken

Time to bet the farm
aggie813
The one that sticks out for me is game 2. The ball that bounced off the brim of the CFs hat right to the LF and only one run scored. It should have gone past him to the wall for a much bigger inning.
AgsMnn
AG
I would love to see our bats that hot again.
David_Puddy
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

We watched game 7 at Revelry in 2017. Celebrated there for about 30 or so mins then drove to academy on 59 near Kirby and the line was around the store.

Pretty sure people post up there for the game and just watch on their phones or something.

That sounds absolutely miserable to me. Just go pick up the same stuff in the morning.....not like they're gonna run out.
Cromagnum
AG
tjholley16 said:

I'll take a 1 run win... and I'll take a 15 run win. I honestly don't care as long as we win. It can be the ugliest win of all time for all I care.

My heart would prefer a 15 run beat down
Texaggie7nine
Ya, I can wait.

Or they might have all walked over from Twin Peaks.
7nine
David_Puddy
AG
Cromagnum said:

tjholley16 said:

I'll take a 1 run win... and I'll take a 15 run win. I honestly don't care as long as we win. It can be the ugliest win of all time for all I care.

My heart would prefer a 15 run beat down

Yeah, if we score 15 in a Strausberg start.....well I'll be pretty happy
htownag99
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

My co-worker told me that when we won in 2017, she sent her husband to Academy 30 minutes before game 7 was over to go wait in line at Academy. I was trying my hardest to hold back in telling her how terrible of a wife she was.
Farmer1906
AG
David_Puddy said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

That sounds absolutely miserable to me. Just go pick up the same stuff in the morning.....not like they're gonna run out.
They do sell out of a lot of things quickly, but they usually get more over the next few days.
Cromagnum
AG
htownag99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

My co-worker told me that when we won in 2017, she sent her husband to Academy 30 minutes before game 7 was over to go wait in line at Academy. I was trying my hardest to hold back in telling her how terrible of a wife she was.

That's a **** wife. Academy will get more inventory z few days later. It's not like they are gonna stop making WS Champion gear if there is a hungry market for it.
Farmer1906
AG
Cromagnum said:

htownag99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

That's a **** wife. Academy will get more inventory z few days later. It's not like they are gonna stop making WS Champion gear if there is a hungry market for it.
Some people just have to be first.
htownag99
AG
Cromagnum said:

htownag99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

I really liked her as an co-worker, until she told me that story.
Mr.Bond
AG
Cromagnum said:

htownag99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

The dick ain't gonna suck itself homie. If it did we'd all be a lot stronger
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

gambochaman
AG
just order stuff online and calmly wait for it to be delivered

WES2006AG
AG
The lines at sporting goods stores on the night of a championship has always been weird to me. Especially when everything is available online or the next day in store.
Texaggie7nine
Farmer1906 said:

Cromagnum said:

htownag99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

tjholley16 said:

Some people just have to be first.
Ya. The ones that really amaze me are the ones first in line to get ALDS and ALCS gear as soon as we advance. You are going to wear that a couple times in the next week and probably never again.

WTF waste your time and money just to get to say "1st!"
7nine
FrioAg 00
AG
'Stros get 2 in the second, and 3 in the 5th.

Cruise to a 5-2 victory with minimal drama in the 8th/9th
First Page Last Page
Page 1972 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.