***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,899 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Soooo is everyone still pissed and mad at the astros organization for getting Osuna?

Let's stroll down memory lane and remember some of my recent complaints about the roster...

• Sipp- why bring him back, yay Liriano means Tony is gone, hey he wasn't too bad after all.
  • Beltran- dude is washed up, can we hire him to replace Hinch?
  • Keuchel- shut your mouth, why didn't we resign him, bum, sign him for one year, big loss, entitled bum.
  • Diaz- former all star and will replace Marwin, he's a bum... this one is an incomplete at the moment.
  • Chirinos- he's no JTR, who is this Ranger wash up, great acquisition, JTR who???
  • Marwin- he sucks in April, can't afford him, he was the glue, got Ted, hitting a buck seventy up north.
  • Springer- he's 5-70 and Hinch won't sit his butt, my God what a talent, shorten your swing, Dinger!
  • Miley- retread, ok that wasn't a disaster, he's an automatic 3 runs surrendered, better than Keuchel.
  • Reddick- should have traded high, can't hit anything, all these weddings ruined our players, Spidey!
  • Correa- will be the best shortstop ever, made of glass, why isn't he playing third, out with a hangnail, stud!
  • White- no positives, if you want to look like John Kruk you better be able to hit like John Kruk

Haha, the irrational mental journeys of a fan living in the moment. It takes a certain dispassionate temperament to be a great baseball mind like Jeff Luhnow. God bless him. If I were in his shoes we'd have to rename the team to the Houston Knee-Jerks.

n_touch
He looks so relaxed, just like he's looking over his shoulder at a friend.
redline248
AG
I feel really confident that if Reddick had been in right on Pence's homer, he would have robbed that one, too.
Capt. Obvious
AustinCountyAg said:

Soooo is everyone still pissed and mad at the astros organization for getting Osuna?
Everyone was mad at the Astro's for trading for Osuna because he was accused of assaulting his girlfriend.
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

I feel really confident that if Reddick had been in right on Pence's homer, he would have robbed that one, too.
From my vantage point last night, Pence1 was close to the foul pole and ended up in the little maintenance area nearby. Pence2 was headed to the seats. Also, Reddick was playing much deeper in the ninth (no doubles) than Springer was earlier in the game. So Reddick didn't have to go nearly as far for Pence2 as Springer did for Pence1. I actually thought Springer gave Pence1 a good effort.
mwm
  • White- no positives, if you want to look like John Kruk you better be able to hit like John Kruk

Great line. I needed that laugh this morning.
Charlie Conway
the one Pence actually hit out looked like it went further over the wall as well, could just have been camera angles but I don't know if anyone would've snagged it.
redline248
AG
George gave a good effort, I thought he over ran it a bit, is all
redline248
AG
Good point about camera. I don't mean to discredit George, btw, but rather say that's how good I think Josh is.
JABQ04
AG
mwm said:

Great line. I needed that laugh this morning.

While I can't find it, I swear I heard an interview where John Kruk was called an athlete by a reporter and he corrected them by saying he wasn't an athlete, he was a baseball player.
AustinCountyAg
Capt. Obvious said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Everyone was mad at the Astro's for trading for Osuna because he was accused of assaulting his girlfriend.

I guess the joke wasn't so obvious for Captain Obvious
Capt. Obvious
AustinCountyAg said:

Capt. Obvious said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I guess the joke wasn't so obvious for Captain Obvious

Ag_07
AG
Capt. Obvious said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Yeah

And a lot of us said it wouldn't be a big deal if shows up and balls out.

Sure enough...
AustinCountyAg
this crossed my mind as well soon as I posted the gif. lol

I guess it was obvious for captain obvious, but not as obvious for me, because I figured my post was too obvious. I was obviously mistaken.
bearkatag15
AG
Good fangraphs article on the Brantley FA signing so far vs others

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/houston-has-no-problems-with-michael-brantley/
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

It makes sense. Super talented, professional hitter. Wedge him between Bregman and Correa in the order. Give him access to all our analytics. He's fun to watch.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

W
AG
yes, he's up to 143 at-bats --- time to get the stick going
Harry Dunne
jja79 said:

PSully97 said:

By who, what?

He said White was widely anticipated to be a 25 HR breakout player. I was wondering who anticipated that.
Even with his bad start this season, his career stats in 582 ABs are .249/.323/.443, 23 HR 82 RBI .766 OPS. Since his last two seasons have been good statistically and he's 28 y/o, it would have been reasonable to expect him to put those types of numbers up if he got a full season of ABs. Unfortunately the Space Jam aliens stole all his power. Per the Tony Gwynn/John Kruk theory, I'm not sure that you can blame being fat for his hitting. More likely just harder psychologically coming in with high expectations. I know a lot of people are down on him and projections aside, the stats above are what they are and they include the awful 2016 stretch and this season. He's not a star, but it's hard to throw away a guy who is cheap and puts up the numbers above.

Tyler White is Projected to Be an Elite Fantasy Player in 2019 (#10 1B/DH)

Projected stats: 0.281 AVG, 29 HR, 98 RBI, 72 R, 64 BB

2019 Tyler White Projections

Composite projection: .258/.338/.456, 21 HR 74 RBI .794 OPS

Don't sleep on Tyler White, you'll regret it

"These same projections also put White as a 20/70 guy with a WAR of around 1.2. Again, not superstar stuff, but still a full display of talent and potential"

2019 All-Breakout Team picks

"That could give White enough room to blow away his previous career high in games played and join rare fantasy company in hitting above .270 with 25 home runs and 80 RBIs."
E
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I really wish we were able to sign Morton
rosco511
AG
Most people on here hate White. Even though he has been solid overall as a MLB hitter and carried us in August last year when we really needed it, most cannot get past his physical appearance. My personal view is that he would likely be a guy we would regret letting go and still needs more time this season and more consistent ABs to hopefully get it going, but with that said, at some point we will need to make a move if he does not pick it up.
Harry Dunne
What's up with Gattis?
Mr.Bond
AG
E said:

bearkatag15 said:

Agreed. Tampa is playing really well too
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Robert Ford is so good. So good.
dshedd41
S
This podcast is epic, worth a listen!
http://bleacherblum.libsyn.com/
Gig’em Aggies!
maca1028
I hate seeing Pence in Rangers uniform.
MelvinUdall
I could not agree more, was not a fan early on, but he has grown on me and is fantastic. The mix of him and Steve Sparks is a great combination, given Sparks personality and Fords straight approach, they are just so good together.
Stros Schadenfreude
E said:

bearkatag15 said:

I think we'll miss him until he tweaks his elbow or his shoulder and is limited to 120 innings or something this year.
dshedd41
S
Tyler White is a good player in my opinion. He just is going through a rough patch now.
Gig’em Aggies!
MAROON
AG
Harry Dunne said:

What's up with Gattis?
I'm gonna guess drinking a lot of beer and smoking a lot of cigarettes
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Stros Schadenfreude
Tyler's weight doesn't bother me as much as what his weight says about his attitude towards mastering his profession. He's on the cusp of being a valuable MLB player and being a never-was.

Say what you want about his weight, but it can't be helping him and makes him a huge liability on the base paths. He also has to know this and doesn't care enough to shed 40-50 and get in great shape. That's what bothers me about him. These are the most crucial years of his career; where a great season or two might mean the difference of 50-60 million dollars over his lifetime; and he can't put the nachos away.
gougler08
AG
dshedd14 said:

Tyler White is a good player in my opinion. He just is going through a rough patch now.

Debatable at best
bearkatag15
AG
gougler08 said:

dshedd14 said:

Debatable at best

Not even debatable. The dude had 1 good week and another good month in his career. Take those out and you have Jon Singleton
redline248
AG
His lack of power + his K rate are very problematic. Lowest average exit velocity in his career, and gets almost nothing in the air.
tjack16
AG
dshedd14 said:

Didn't realize 3 seasons is considered a rough patch
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.