***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,724 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bdgol07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a thought last night....

Why not shake up the top of the lineup a bit?
Bregman at the two hole, Altuve at 3, then Brantley, Yuli, Correa, Yordan

That may give Bregman a few more fastballs with Altuve behind him. Brantley isn't really scaring purple with big hits, he's just making good contact
Furlock Bones
AG
brutal night for the Astros. a couple of things.

-Springer was the best Astro on the field last night, yet he also is responsible for not putting himself in position to score the game tying run.
-however, according to seasonal statistics, that ball should have been a homer easily except they clearly changed the balls again.
-Reddick not getting the clear as day catcher interference was complete horse *****
-Breggy man. what is there to say that he didn't say himself.
-Correa was great in the field. terrible at the plate
-Alvarez despite his 2 hits and a walk continues to be useless in the playoffs
-Cole was touched up but no more than Scherzer was. but somehow the Nats scratched out 5 and the Stros only 2.
-Joe Smith was lights out.
-Astros are 0-53 when trailing after the 8th. that's incredible in its own right. doubly so when talking about team that won over a 100 games.

-Baseball is brutal man.
Ag_07
AG
Well it is the playoffs and we've faced some really great pitchers.
Ag12thman
AG
Astros just are playing tight, IMO. Sucks to watch it because they were incredible all regular season long. Just feels like they haven't relaxed yet in the postseason.
ontheedge
Forgiven_Ag said:

Boiling Denim said:

The plate approach difference between Soto and Bregman is shocking right now

Soto going up to mash. Bregman going up to drive up pitch count I guess...maybe walk...definitely not looking to put one on the railroad track

I will say it since no one else will. This is all on his new GF. He is soft now. Not full of piss and vinegar. He is calm down. How can we expect him to hit piss missle home runs when he is getting a steady helping at home?!
Can he not go oppo on the outside edge strikes and just bring runners across home plate?
crowman2010
AG
I really wish the game could've been played under protest after that CI miss...I had an awful feeling in my gut after that point.
Mr.Ackar07
The positive from last night is that they forced Martinez to use all of his trusted BP arms, and, except for Doolittle, all threw 20 high stress pitches. If we can run the count up on Strasburg, they will have another chance to wear these guys out.
astros4545
AG
Ag12thman said:

Astros just are playing tight, IMO. Sucks to watch it because they were incredible all regular season long. Just feels like they haven't relaxed yet in the postseason.

I agree

With a regular season record of 107-55, that means they played tight 55 times
And that means they played free and loose 107 times

We should try to play more free and loose rather than up tight
crowman2010
AG
astros4545 said:

Ag12thman said:

I agree

With a regular season record of 107-55, that means they played tight 55 times
And that means they played free and loose 107 times

We should try to play more free and loose rather than up tight
Not sure that's what that means...but okay
spadilly
S
So, with Corbin pitching last night, I guess the Nats will most likely be starting Sanchez in game 3?
AustinCountyAg
Last night was an amazing experience for the wife and I attending our first World Series game(even though we lost). The crowd and atmosphere was awesome. Very lucky we were able to spend the money and to get tickets this time around. Glad we were able to check it off the bucket list.

The last couple innings we left our seats and stood on the concourse and my wife shot the **** with Bregmans mom for about twenty minutes. She really enjoyed that.

Also parking at Ninfa's and riding the shuttle was great as usual. From walking out of the stadium to leaving in the car to go home literally took under 10 minutes.

We need Bregs, and at least one other to catch fire. Yuli can't do it all by himself.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I would imagine that's their plan

Then they can either hold off Corbin and throw him in GM 4 or keep using him in the pen and throw Scherzer on short rest.

The bottom line is that Martinez played last night like it was an elimination game. Those are the best arms they have and we got to them fully rested. If we can somehow get Strasburg out before he gets to the 6th they're in a world of hurt.
awrollins
Ag_07 said:

Then they can either hold off Corbin and throw him in GM 4 or keep using him in the pen and throw Scherzer on short rest.

The bottom line is that Martinez played last night like it was an elimination game. Those are the best arms they have and we got to them fully rested. If we can somehow get Strasburg out before he gets to the 6th they're in a world of hurt.

I would have to guess that they start Corbin game 4, then plan to use him as a reliever the rest of the series
Beat40
Some already mentioned it, but what is everyone's thought on moving Bregman up to the 2 spot?

Or do you think it's just mental for him and he's going to have to start swinging at some stuff on the edges, specifically the outside edge?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I will venture to say that we will not win many games ever when Correa and Bregman both turn up hat tricks...
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Yup, we have to work Strasburg and get him out by the 5th or 6th.

Time for Nuclear George to plant one on the tracks in his first AB.
crowman2010
AG
Beat40 said:

Some already mentioned it, but what is everyone's thought on moving Bregman up to the 2 spot?

Or do you think it's just mental for him and he's going to have to start swinging at some stuff on the edges, specifically the outside edge?
AB has done well because he's a selective batter. You can't be selective with the strikezones we've had this post season...and unfortunately for him, he's been on the receiving end of most of the blown calls
eATMup-Reveille
Ag12thman said:

Just the opposite, IMO. They are laughing and joking a lot. That is fine, HOWEVER, on the base path, their lack of discipline is costly. The lack of fundamental hustle by Brantley and Springer likely cost 2 runs. What is concerning to me, Springer was asked about not running out of the box, and he made some lame excuse about possibly passing Tucker on the base paths. Either that is an outright lie, or he is too ignorant to realize that he could have looked towards Pettis before reaching 2nd base and then made a determination of what he was going to do at that point. However, his lack of hustle from the start totally excluded that as an option.
CFTXAG10
AG
Had my coffee this morning, will be bringing the hate from 155 tonight! LFG
Ag12thman
AG
Agree to disagree on the playing tight. I do agree about Springer. That was horrid and as soon as he started hopping, I was yelling, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????" Drop the bat and sprint, dude." He definitely costed us a chance to tie the game there.
AustinCountyAg
the "good" thing about the lack of hustle crap is that the team is going to hear about it all day today. You can bet your ass everyone will be busting their tails down the line the remainder of the series.

I fully expect Verlander to take the bull by the horns and be dominant tonight. I think all the Cole talk over the past month has been pissing him off. He going to show everyone that he's "better"
backintexas2013
AG
Does anyone have the pitches missed breakdown. I thought the guy had a good game balls and strike wise except late he opened it up on a couple. Would love to see the stats
TXAG14
Strasburg is going to be really tough. He was the one I was concerned about the most coming into the series. Hopefully we can work him like we did Scherzer.
wangus12
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

There's a bunch of things that culminate with this.

The catcher interference
Directly the next inning, a broken bat hit driving in rbi.
The line shots in the 9th with players in position

In those sequences I started to feel this game just wasn't ours.

Fortunately that's why we play 7
What's terrifying is that is the type of **** were you start thinking team of destiny crap. Nothing really went our way in terms luck
Cromagnum
AG
Had my morning coffee up in Maine on vacation and have a great feeling about tonight. I think we win handedly in game two. Thinking 6 or 7 to 2
astros4545
AG
BullSprig07
AG
Even if we can't rock Strasburg, if we can get his pitch count up and get to the bullpen then I feel the same way. If he goes 7 innings then I'm not so optimistic.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
astros4545 said:

That damn wind blew it down.
DVC2010
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Nino Brown said:

Bottom line....we need shutdown JV tonight. Our lineup has been too erratic this post season. JV must leave no doubt or this series is over.

Double digit LOB is not going to get it done. The offense has to start hitting. .

Double digit LOB means the offense is hitting. The hits just weren't coming at the right times, which is essentially random.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Double digit LOB means the offense is hitting.
or they are getting walks
Marvin
AG
Marvin's PSA for anyone going to MMP tonight:

• Arrive before 5pm.
  • Go to the team store sometime during the game to avoid Black Friday madness.
  • Caveat to the above comment- the WS gear is not overly impressive.
  • Park well away from the stadium (or ride train/shuttle)- better to walk 20 minutes and avoid the traffic.
  • SRO made the concourses a nightmare. Be prepared.
  • If SRO, they took away a lot of in-season standing areas. Many people just watched the TV's in the concourses. Also, security in our area was not allowing SRO along the walkways in the upper decks.

Some of those were negatives, but it was still a blast. Enjoy the experience!

Ag_07
AG
Good news is it's a 7 game series

You can't win or lose it in GM 1

Buckle down (which they're good at), correct the mistakes (which they're good at), make the adjustments (which they're very good at) and get a W.
Texaggie7nine
Grienke is going to have to be the hero in this series. I feel he's due a big time game.
7nine
Frok
AG
Quote:

The hits just weren't coming at the right times, which is essentially random

Not completely. Take for example Yordan. He was patient and had good at bats when nobody was on base. Then a pressure situation came up and he reverted back to the issues that plagued him in the ALCS.

It's tough to hit in clutch moments but that is what wins championships.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

Marvin's PSA for anyone going to MMP tonight:

• Arrive before 5pm.
  • Go to the team store sometime during the game to avoid Black Friday madness.
  • Caveat to the above comment- the WS gear is not overly impressive.
  • Park well away from the stadium (or ride train/shuttle)- better to walk 20 minutes and avoid the traffic.
  • SRO made the concourses a nightmare. Be prepared.
  • If SRO, they took away a lot of in-season standing areas. Many people just watched the TV's in the concourses. Also, security in our area was not allowing SRO along the walkways in the upper decks.

Some of those were negatives, but it was still a blast. Enjoy the experience!

all of this!

Last night I got to the area around the stadium at 5:30, didn't get into my seat until 6:50. It was a madhouse. The team store line was about 20-30 mins long before and after the game.
First Page Last Page
Page 1757 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.